THE EFFECT OF GENDER ON JOB SATISFACTION: A STUDY ON CIVIL SERVANTS
How to Cite
Job satisfaction refers to the pleasure a person gets from their job, the feeling of satisfaction and the quality of life. The main aim of this study is to examine the effect of gender on job satisfaction, which is an important factor for both organizations and employees. Job satisfaction can be defined as the feeling that the human resources feel about their work and it has an important place among the concepts that affect the success of organizations such as business efficiency, employee attendance and performance. In this context, job satisfaction levels of the employees in a public institution in Karabük and the effect of gender on job satisfaction were examined using the job satisfaction scale. Data were gathered through a questionnaire and analyzed by using frequency and percentage distribution. According to the findings, it was found that some concepts in the job satisfaction scale were meaningfully differentiated from gender. It could be claimed that if the managers take the concepts that were found to be meaningful into consideration, it will increase the motivation of human resources and will serve creating viable organizations.
- Clark, A.E. (1997), “Job satisfaction and gender: why are women so happy at work?”, Labour Economics, 4(4), pp. 341-372.
- Demirel, R. (1989). Yaş, Cinsiyet ve Mesleki Deneyimin Üniversite Kütüphanelerinde Çalışan Kütüphanecilerin İş Tatminine Etkisi, Yayınlanmamış Yüksek Lisans Tezi, Hacettepe Üniversitesi Sosyal Bilimler Enstitüsü, Ankara.
- Fiorillo, D., & Nappo, N. (2014). Job satisfaction in Italy: Individual characteristics and social relations. International Journal of Social Economics, 41(8), pp. 683-704.
- Gazioglu, S. and Tansel, A. (2006), “Job satisfaction in Britain: individual and job related factors”, Applied Economics, 38(10), pp. 1163-1171.
- Hulin, C.L., Roznowski, M., Hachiya, D. (1985). Alternative opportunities and withdrawal decisions: empirical and theoretical discrepancies & integration. Psychological Bulletin, 97: pp. 233-250.
- Kalay, F., Arslan, H., & Oflas, S. (2013). Kadrolu ve 4/B sözlesmeli yardimci saglik personellerinin is doyumlarinin Karsilastirilmasi/Comparison the job satisfaction of permanent and 4/B contracted health care providers. Selcuk Üniversitesi Sosyal Bilimler Enstitüsü Dergisi, (29), pp.111-121.
- Kökay, B. (2007). Creditwest Bank Ltd. Çalışanlarının İş Doyumunun Analizi, Yayınlanmamış Yüksek Lisans Tezi, Yakın Doğu Üniversitesi Sosyal Bilimler Enstitüsü, Lefkoşa.
- Luthans, F. (1995): Organizational Behavior, McGraw-Hill, Inc.
- Muchinsky, P.M. (2000). Psychology Applied to Work (Sixth Edition). USA: Wadsworth.
- Örücü, Edip, (2010). Çalışma Yaşamında İş Doyumu ve Balıkesir Emniyet Müdürlüğü Çalışanları Üzerine Bir Araştırma, Mevzuat Dergisi 13(145).
- Sevimli, F. ve İşcan, Ö. F. (2005). Bireysel ve iş ortamına ait etkenler açısından iş doyumu. Ege Akademik Bakış Dergisi, 5(1-2), 55-64.
- Sloane, P.J. and Williams, H. (2000), “Job satisfaction, comparison earnings and gender”, Labour, 14(3), pp. 473-501.
- Spector, P.E. (1996). Industrial and Organizational Psychology: Research and Practice. USA: John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Spector, P.E.(1997). Job satisfaction: Application, assessment, causes, and consequences. London: Sage.
- Vamık, Neriman. (2003). İlkokul Öğretmenlerinin İş Doyum Düzeyleri. Yüksek Lisans Tezi. YDÜ Eğitim Bilimleri Enstitüsü, Yayınlanmamış Yüksek Lisans Tezi, Lefkoşa.
- Van P., vd. (2003), “The anatomy of subjective well-being”, Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, 51(1), pp. 29-49.
- Yelboğa, A. (2007). Bireysel Demografik Değişkenlerin İş Doyumu ile İlişkisinin Finans Sektöründe İncelenmesi, Sosyal Bilimler Dergisi 4(2), ss.1-18.
- Yıldız, G. (2004). Müzik Öğretmenlerinin İş Doyumu, 1924-2004 Musiki Muallim Mektebinden Günümüze Müzik Öğretmeni Yetiştirme Sempozyumu Bildirisi, Süleyman Demirel Üniversitesi, Isparta.
- Yılmaz S.M., vd. (2014). Job Satisfaction Level of Academicians in Faculty of Education, Procedia – Social and Behavioral Sciences, 116, pp.1021-1025.
- Zhu, Y. (2013). A review of job satisfaction. Asian Social Science, 9(1), pp. 293-298.