A study on mentoring functions of managers as a predictor of job satisfaction levels of healthcare professionals
- Mentor, Mentorluk Fonksiyonları; İş Doyumu, Sağlık Çalışanı, Sağlık Yöneticisi
- Mentor, Mentoring Functions; Job Satisfaction, Health Worker, Health Manager
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2022 Yeliz LEBLEBİCİ- Ömer Faruk İŞCAN
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Purpose: The study aims to contribute to the management systems and literature by determining whether the mentoring functions of health managers predict the employees' job satisfaction levels.
Material and Method: Mentoring Functions and Job Satisfaction Scales were used as data collection tools. The research universe consisted of health personnel working under the Istanbul Provincial Health Directorate Public Hospitals Presidency-4. The scales were applied to 711 healthcare workers via the web survey application module. SPSS 22.0 and AMOS 24.0 programs belonging to the IBM company were used in the statistical analysis of the article. Descriptive statistics were evaluated as categorical variables as number and percentage, numerical variables as mean and standard deviation. Cronbach Alpha Test and Exploratory Factor Analysis for reliability tests; Pearson product-moment Correlation Coefficient was used to determine the relationships between variables, and the Multiple Linear Regression Analysis test was used to examine the predictor variables. The statistical alpha significance level was accepted as p<0.05.
Results: It was determined that there was a positive and significant relationship between the mentoring functions and job satisfaction perceptions of the healthcare professionals participating in the study (p<0.001). It has been determined that there is a positive and significant relationship between the career development mentoring function and the psychosocial mentoring function of the healthcare professionals. The perceptions of internal and external job satisfaction and the positive mentoring functions of the managers are a predictor of the employees' job satisfaction levels. A positive and significant relationship was found between career development mentoring function and internal job satisfaction. The perception of Career Development Mentoring Function was found to be significantly higher in the employees working in the Training and Research Hospital compared to those working in the State Hospital. The perception of Career and Psychosocial Mentoring Function was found to be significantly higher in doctors than in other occupational groups. External Job Satisfaction According to the hospital employees, it was significantly higher in physicians compared to health licensees and nurses (p<0.001).
Conclusion: It is stated that bringing the mentoring functions of the health managers to the fore will increase the job satisfaction of the employees and that the high job satisfaction in the institutions will increase the self-confidence, morale and performance of the employees; It is thought that it will make institutions more efficient by solving problems such as absenteeism and leaving work due to illness, stress, tension, anxiety, complaints.
- ALLEN, T. D., EBY, L. T., POTEET, M. L., LENTZ, E., & LİMA, L. (2004). Career Benefits Associated With Mentoring for Proteges: A Meta-Analysis. Journal of Applied Psychology, 89(1), 127–136
- ASLAN, D., & ODABAŞI, O. (2013). Concepts of “Mentoring” and “Role Modeling” in Type Education. World of Medical Education,38
- BARUTÇUGİL, I. (2004). Strategic Human Resources Management. Istanbul: Kariyer Publishing.
- BASARAN IE. (2005). Organizational Behavior: Man's Production Power, Ankara, Feryal Printing House.
- BAYRAKTAR, A. (2019). The Effect of Mentoring Practices in Hotel Businesses on Organizational Commitment, Job Satisfaction and Intention to Remain, Kıklareli, Kırklareli University Institute of Social Sciences,
- CHUNG, D. H. (2012). Society of University Surgeons Mentorship: Fostering Personal Relationships. Surgery, 152(3):304-308.
- ÇAM, O., AKGÜN, E., GÜMÜŞ, A. B., BİLGE, A. and KESKİN, G. Ü. (2005) Investigation of the Relationship between the Evaluation of the Clinical Environment of Physicians and Nurses Working in a Mental Health and Diseases Hospital and their Job Satisfaction. Anatolian Journal of Psychiatry, 6(2):213- 220.
- DUXBURY, M.L., ARMSTRONG, G.D., DREW, D.J., HENLİ, S.J. (1984) Head Nurse Leadership Style With Staff Nurse Burn Out And Job Satisfaction In Neonatal Intensive Care Unit, Nurs Res, 33(2): 97-101.
- ERDEM, F. and ÖZEN, J. (2002) The Effect of Trust in the Guide in Academic Organizations on the Development of Svil Erdem Behavior as an Organizational Citizenship Behavior Dimension”., 10. National Management and Organization Congress
- ERDEM D, ATÇI H, AKAN B, ALBAYRAK D, GÖKÇINAR D, GÖĞÜŞ N, (2010), The Effects of Intensive Care Working Periods of Anesthesiology and Reanimation Clinic Assistants on Burnout, Job Satisfaction, Work-Related Tension and State-Continuity Anxiety Levels, İstanbul, Şişli Etfal Training and Research Hospital Medical Bulletin 44;93-99,
- ERÖZ, A. (2019) The Effect of School Principals' Mentoring Functions on Teachers' Job Satisfaction, Istanbul Sabahattin Zaim University Social Sciences Institute Master's Thesis.
- GEDİK, T., AKYÜZ, K.C., BATU, C. (2009). Determination of Executive Job Satisfaction Level in Forest Industry Enterprises, Kastamonu, Kastamonu University Journal of Forestry Faculty, 9(1): 1-11
- IŞIKLAR PÜRÇEK K. (2015). Ankara State Primary School Principals' Coaching Behavior and Teachers' Job Satisfaction Levels", Ankara, Ankara University Institute of Educational Sciences Doctoral Thesis
- İBRAHİMOĞLU, N., UĞURLU, Ö. And KIZILOĞLU, M. (2011). A Research on the Effect of Mentoring on Perception of Organizational Trust in Organizations. C.U. Journal of Social Sciences Institute, Vol 20, No 3, Pages 297-318.
- ISCAN, O.F. AND ÇAKIR, S.(2016). The Effect of Mentoring and Psychological Empowerment on Self-Efficacy Perception, Isparta, Süleyman Demirel University Faculty of Economics and Administrative Sciences Journal, 21(1):1-
- KARAKUS, K. And TOK, T. N. (2015). The relationship between mentoring functions implemented by school administrators and job satisfaction of classroom teachers. EYFOR VI. International Education Management Forum Abstract Book. Cyprus International University
- KÖSE Y, LEBLEBİCİ Y , ÇAKMAKCI H , BEKTEMÜR H, (2015) A Study on Job Satisfaction and Affiliation Levels of Data Preparation and Control Operators Working at Şişli Hamidiye Etfal Training and Research Hospital, İstanbul, Şişli Etfal Training and Research Hospital Medical Bulletin 49 (3):207-13
- KRAM, K.E. (1983). Phases of Mentor Relationship, Academy of Management Journal. 26(4):608-625.
- KRAM, K.E. and ISABELLA L.A. (1985). Mentoring Alternatives: The Role of Peer Relationships in Career Development”. Academy of Management Journal. 28:110-132
- KUTANİS, R. O. VE MESCİ, M. (2010) The Effect Of Organizational Justice On Job Satisfaction Of Employees: A Case Study For A Higher Education Board Providing Education İn The Field Of Tourism, Journal of Social Economic Research: 527-552.
- NOE, R. A. (1988). An Investigation Of The Determinants Of Successful Assigned Mentoring Relationships. Personnel Psychology, 41(3), 457-479.
- ÖZALP U., (2016). (2016). The Effect of School Principals' Mentoring Functions on the Job Satisfaction of School Deputy Principals, Istanbul, Yıldız Technical University and Aydın University Social Sciences Institutes, Educational Administration and Supervision Master's Thesis, ( YÖK Thesis No: 447821
- ÖZÇİFTÇİ V.(2018).The Effect of Internal Marketing Practices on Job Satisfaction: An Application for Hospital Staff, Bolu, Abant İzzet Baysal University Faculty of Economics and Administrative Sciences Journal of Economic and Social Research
- ÖZDEMİR, F.(2006) The Effect of Organizational Climate on Job Satisfaction Level: A Study in Textile Industry, (Unpublished doctoral dissertation), Adana, Çukurova University / Institute of Social Sciences
- ÖZEN KUTANİS, R. & MESCİ, M. (2010). The Effect Of Organızatıonal Justıce On Employee Job Satısfactıon: A Case Study On A Hıgher Educatıon Instıtutıon In Tourısm. Journal of Social Economic Research, 10 (19), 527-552 .
- RUSTGİ, A. K., & HECHT, G. A. (2011). Mentorship in Academic Medicine. Gastroenterology, 141(3):789-792
- ŞENCAN, N. , YEGENOGLU, S. & AYDINTAN, B. (2014). Job Satisfaction And Organizational Commitment Studies On Health Workers And Pharmacists. Marmara Pharmaceutical Journal, 17 (2), 104-112
- TENGİLİMOGLU, D. (2005). A Research on the Determination of the Relationship Between Leadership Behaviors and Job Satisfaction in Service Businesses. Ankara, Journal of Gazi University Faculty of Commerce and Tourism Education, (1) , 23-45
- VARDARLIER P., (2016), Mentoring İn Healthcare Businesses, İstanbul, Journal of Health Thought and Medical Culture, İstanbul, September-40; 80-83,
- YILDIRIM, F. (2007). The Relationship between Job Satisfaction and Organizational Justice., Ankara, Ankara University Journal of SBF, 62(1): 253-278.