A QUALITATIVE STUDY ON THE EXPLORATION OF SAFETY HAZARDS RELATED TO THE OUTSOURCING OF AIRCRAFT MAINTENANCE
How to Cite
This study sets out to investigate the hazards, root causes and outcomes associated with the outsourcing of aircraft maintenance, and to investigate how and why these hazards compromise safety. For the purpose of the study, questionnaires consisting of open-ended questions were used to collect qualitative data from technicians and engineers who participate in outsourcing processes, and who were selected through purposive sampling. An inductive qualitative analysis method was used to analyze the qualitative research data. The research results suggest that airlines see the outsourcing of aircraft maintenance to another party as an effective way of reducing costs. With cost being the main factor in the selection of a maintenance, repair and overhaul (MRO) company, MRO providers are under serious pressure to reduce costs as this is the major competitive advantage in the MRO market. These factors create a wide range of safety hazards. Furthermore, outsourcing causes disorganization in the production of aircraft maintenance activities and in the organizational structure of parties. This also gives rise to safety hazards.
- Aubert, B. A., & Rivard, S. (2016). A Commentary on: The Role of Transaction Cost Economics in Information Technology Outsourcing Research: A Meta-Analysis of The Choice of Contract Type. Journal of Strategic Information Systems, 1(25), 64-67.
- Belobaba, P. (2009). Airline Operating Costs and Measures of Productivity. Peter Belobaba, Amadeo Odoni and Cynthia Barnhart (Ed.). The Global Airline Industry (inside) (p. 113-151). West Sussex: Wiley.
- Creswell, J. W. (2002). Research Design: Qualitative, Quantitative, And Mixed Method Approches (Second Ed.). London: Sage Publications.
- Creswell, J. W. (2013). Beş Yaklaşıma Göre Nitel Araştirma ve Araştırma Deseni. Translation Based on the 3rd ed. (Trans. by M. Bütün and S. B. Demir). Ankara: Siyasal Yayınları.
- Czepiel, E. (2003). Practices and Perspectives in Outsourcing Aircraft Maintenance. Washington: S. Department of Transportation Federal Aviation Administration Office of Aviation Research Press.
- Doganis, R. (2006). Airline Business (2nd ed.). New York: Routledge, Tylor & Francis Group Press.
- Drury, C. & Guy, K. (2010). Outsourcing Aviation Maintenance: Human Factors Implications, Specifically for Communications. Journal of Aviation Psychology, 20 (2), 124-143.
- FAA (2009). Risk Management Handbook. ABD: United States Department of Transportation Publishing.
- Franco, B. (2008). Exploring the Effects of Increased FAA Oversight on Part 145 Maintenance Practices. (Doctoral Dissertation). Arizona: Schools of Business and Technology Management.
- Ghobrial, A. (2005). “Outsourcing in the Airline Industry: Policy Implications.” Journal of Transportation Law, Logistics, and Policy, 457–73.
- Glesne, C. (2013). Nitel Araştirmaya Giriş. (Trans. by A. Ersoy and P. Yalçınoğlu). Ankara: Anı Yayıncılık.
- Gulbrandsen, B., Lambe, C. J., & Sandvik, K. (2017). “Firm Boundaries and Transaction Costs: The Complementary Role of Capabilities”. Journal of Business Research.
- Hanaoka, S., Takebayashi, M., Ishikura, T. and Saraswati, B. (2014). “Low-Cost Carriers Versus Full Service Carriers in ASEAN: The Impact of Liberalization Policy on Competition”, Journal of Air Transport Management 40, 96-105.
- Heide, J. B. (2003). “Plural Governance in Industrial Purchasing”. Journal of Marketing, 67(4), 18-29.
- Herrera, I. A., Nordskag, A. O., Mhyre, G. and Halvorsen, K. (2009). Aviation Safety and Maintenance Under Major Organizational Changes, Investigatin Non-Existing Accidents. Accidents Analysis and Prevention, 41 (2009), 1155-1163.
- Hobbs, A. (2008). An Overview of Human Factors in Aviation Maintenance. Canberra City: ATSB Transport Safety Report Aviation Research and Analysis Report.
- Hanlon, P. (2007). Global Airlines: Competition in A Transnational Industry, (3. Ed.) London: Routledge.
- ICAO, (2002b). Line Operations Safety Audit. Doc 9803 AN/761, Montreal, Quebec.
- ICAO, (2003). Human Factors Guidelines for Aircraft Maintenance Manual. Doc 9824, AN/450, Montreal, Quebec.
- Lenartowicz, M., Mason, K. and Foster, A. (2013). “Mergers and Acquisitions in the EU Low Cost Carrier Market. A Product and Organisation Architecture (POA) Approach to Identify Potential Merger Partners”. Journal of Air Transport Management, 33 (1), 3–11.
- Quinlan, M., Ian, H. and Gregson, S. (2013). “Outsourcing and Offshoring Aircraft Maintenance in the US: Implications For Safety”. Safety Science, 57 (3), 283-292.
- McFadden, M. and Worrels, D. S. (2012). Global Outsourcing of Aircraft Maintenance. Journal of Aviation Technology and Engineering, 1 (2), 63–73.
- McCamey, R. (2010). Assessing the Relationship Between Airlines Maintenance Outsourcing and Aviation Professionals Job Satisfaction. (Published Doctoral Dissertation). Arizona: Arizona/Tucson University.
- Miles, B. M. and Huberman, M. A. (1994). An Expanded Sourcebook Qualitative Data Analysis (2nd ed.). Thousand Oaks CA: Sage Press.
- Mishra, D. P., Heide, J. B. and Stanton, G. C. (1998). Information Asymmetry and Levels of Agency Relationships, Journal of Marketing Research, 35 (3), 277-295.
- Monaghan, K. L. (2011). Examining the relationship between passenger airline aircraft maintenance outsourcing and aircraft. (Published Doctoral Dissertation). Arizona: North Central University.
- Murray, R. (2009). A Study Examining the Association Between Airline Maintenance Outsourcing and Passengers Perception. (Published Doctoral Dissertation). Arizona: North Central University.
- Odoni, A. R. (2009): “The International Institutional and Regulatory Environment,” in The Global Airline Industry, ed. by P. Belobaba, A. Odoni, and C. Barnhart, pp. 19–46. John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
- Patton, Q.M. (2002). Qulitative Research & Evaluation Methods, (3. Ed.). Thousand Oaks London: Sage Press.
- Reason, J. T. (2008). The Human Contribution: Unsafe Acts, Accidents and Heroic Recoveries. Burlington: Ashgate Publishing Company.
- Rieple, A. & Helm, C. (2008). Outsourcing for Competitive Advantage: An Examination of Seven Legacy Airlines. Journal of Air Transport Management, 14 (5), 280-5.
- Sedatolite, K. L., Vrettos D. and Widener S. K. (2012). “The Use of Management Control Mechanism Mitigate Moral Hazard in The Decision to Outsource”. ABD Journal of Accounting Research, 50 (2).
- UK CAA. (2002). CAP 715: An Introduction to Aircraft Maintenance Engineering Human Factors for JAR 66. West Sussex: UK CAA Publishing.
- Useem, M. & Harder, J. (2000). “Leading Laterally in Company Outsourcing”. Sloan Management Review, 41 (2), 25-37.
- Vieira, D. R. & Loures, P. L. (2016). “Maintenance, Repair and Overhaul (MRO) Fundamentals and Strategies: An Aeronautical Industry Overview. International Journal of Computer Application, 135 (1), 21-30.