EMPIRICAL ANALYSIS OF CRISIS MANAGEMENT PRACTICES IN TOURISM ENTERPRISES IN TERMS OF ORGANIZATIONAL LEARNING
How to Cite
ÇİFTÇİ, G., KÜÇÜKALTAN, D., & MENTEŞ, S. A. (2017). EMPIRICAL ANALYSIS OF CRISIS MANAGEMENT PRACTICES IN TOURISM ENTERPRISES IN TERMS OF ORGANIZATIONAL LEARNING. Business & Management Studies: An International Journal, 5(1), 42–57. https://doi.org/10.15295/bmij.v5i1.98
AbstractIn this study, it is aimed to empirically analyze the crisis management practices of tourism enterprises in terms of their effects on organizational learning. It is aimed to determine the ways that the hotels in Turkey respond to previous crisis, what kind of precautions were taken and whether these crises had taught anything regarding the operation and performance of the enterprise. It is also aimed to contribute to related literature and to offer suggestions that will guide businesses and future studies. Within this context, taking account of 2016 (October) data of the Ministry of Culture and Tourism of Turkey, Antalya, which embodies most certified 5-star hotels, and highest bed capacity and number of rooms in resort category, and Istanbul, which embodies most certified 5-star hotels, and highest bed capacity and number of rooms in urban hotels category, are included within the scope of this study. It’s decided to conduct this study on hotels, considering the effects of tourism industry on world economy. In this study, it is aimed to empirically analyze the crisis management practices of tourism enterprises in terms of their effects on organizational learning. It is aimed to determine the ways that the hotels in Turkey respond to previous crisis, what kind of precautions were taken and whether these crises had taught anything regarding the operation and performance of the enterprise. A comprehensive literature review was conducted in the first and second part of this three-part study; The concept of crisis management in the enterprises was examined and the applications on tourism enterprises were discussed. The last part of the study contains information on testing and analyzing hypotheses. The data obtained as a result of the questionnaires were analyzed in SPSS (Statistical Package for Social Sciences) and LISREL (LInear Structural RELationships) program. A Pearson Correlation analysis was conducted to examine the relationship between factors and scales. As a result of the study, the results of the crisis management practices in the enterprises affecting the organizational learning positively have been reached.
Download data is not yet available.
- Akıncı, Z. (2010), Konaklama İşletmelerinde Kriz Yönetimi: Alanya Bölgesindeki Konaklama İşletmelerinde Kriz Sürecinde Karşılaşılan Sorunların Tespit ve Çözümüne Yönelik Bir Araştırma, Süleyman Demirel Üniversitesi, Sosyal Bilimler Enstitüsü, Yayınlanmamış Doktora Tezi, Isparta.
- Argyris, C. (1996). Prologue: toward a comprehensive theory of management. B. Moingoen, & A. Edmondson içinde, Organizational Learning and Competitive Advantage. London: Sage Publications.
- Baran, H. (2012). İşletmelerde Kriz Yönetimi. Araştırma Ve Meslekleri Geliştirme Müdürlüğü Bülteni, 31-41.
- Blackman, D. R. (2008). Tourism Crisis Management and Organizational Learning The Role of Reflection in Developing Effective DMO Crisis Strategies. Journal of Travel & Tourism Marketing, Volume 23 (Issue 2-4).
- Boatwright, G. (2007 ). Crisis Management: The Need For A Comprehensive Approach. Pipeline & Gas Journal, 23(5).
- Carmeli, A., Schaubroeck, J. (2008). Organisational Crisis-Preparedness: The Importance of Learning from Failures. Long Range Planning, 1 (41).
- Chajnacki, G. (2007). Characteristics Of Learning Organizations And Multi-Dimensional Organizational Performance İndicators: A Survey Of Large, Publicly-Owned Companies, The Pennsylvania State Uniıversity Ph. D. Thesis.
- Crossan, M., Lane, H., White, R. (1999). An organizational learning framework from intuition to institution. Academy of Management Review, 522-537.
- Çiftci, G. (2015). Turizm İşletmelerinde Kriz Yönetimi Uygulamalarının Örgütsel Öğrenme ve İşletme Performansı Bakımından Ampirik Olarak Analizi, Namık Kemal Üniversitesi, İşletme A.B.D. Tamamlanmış Doktora Tezi, Türkiye.
- Demirtaş, H. (2000). Kriz Yönetimi. Kuram ve Uygulamada Eğitim Yönetimi Dergis, 6(3).
- Faulkner, B. (2001). Towards a framework for tourism disaster management. Tourism Management, 135–147.
- Gainey, B. (2010). Crisis Management in Public School Districts. Organization Development Journal, 89-95.
- Garvin, D. (1999). Öğrenen Bir Örgüt Yaratmak. İstanbul: Mess Yayınları.
- Glaesser, D. ((2005). Turizm Sektöründe Kriz Yönetimi. (A. Ahıska, Çev.) İstanbul: Set-Systems Yayıncılık.
- Huber, G. (1991). Organizational learning: the contributing processes and the literatures. Organization Sciences, 88–115.
- Institute of Crisis Management (ICM) (2014). http://crisisconsultant.com: http://crisisconsultant.com.
- Israeli, A., Reichel, A. (2003). Hospitality Crisis Management Practices: The Israeli Case . Hospitality Management, 353-371.
- Jiménez-Jiménez, D., Sanz-Valle, R. (2011). Innovation, organizational learning, and performance. Journal of Business Research, 409.
- Kash, T., Darling, J. (1998). Crises Management: Prevention, Diagnosis and Intervention. Leadership and Organization Development Journal, 4(19), 179–186.
- Kozak, A. (1997). Konaklama endüstrisinde kadın yöneticilerin yönetsel davranışları ve etkinlik algılamaları analizi. Turizmde Seçme Makaleler: 27, No:41, TUGEV Yayınları.
- Koksal, M. (2007). The Relationship Between Marketing Strategies And Performance in An Economic Crisis. Marketing Intelligence and Planning, 25 (4) , pp. 326-342.
- Köroğlu, A. (2004), Turizmde Kriz Yönetimi (Otel İşletmelerinde ve Seyahat Acentalarında Bir Uygulama). Balıkesir Üniversitesi Sosyal Bilimler Enstitüsü Turizm İşletmeciliği ve Otelcilik ABD Yayımlanmamış Doktora Tezi.
- Larson, R., Bengtsson, L., Henriksson, K., & Sparks,, J. (1998). The interorganizationallearning dilemma: Collective knowledge development in strategic alliances. Organization Science, 9(3), 285-286.
- Makkonen, H. P. (2014). Dynamic Capabilities And Firm Performance in A Financial Crisis. Journal Of Business Research, Volume 67(Issue 1), Pages 2707–2719.
- Nonaka, I., Takeuchi, H. (1995). The Knowledge-Creating Company: How Japanese Companies Create the Dynamics of Innovation. London: Oxford University Press.
- Oğuz, Ş. (2003). İşinizi Sürekli Kılmaktan Daha Önemli Ne Olabilir? Dünden Bugüne Tercüman, 7.
- Okumuş, F., Karamustafa, K. (2005). Impact Of An Economic Crisis: Evidence from Turkey. Annals of Tourism Research, 4(32), 942–961.
- Okumus, F., Altinay, M., Arasli, H. (2005). The impact of Turkey’s economic crisis of February 2001 on the tourism industry in Northern Cyprus. Tourism Management, 95–104.
- Pauchant and Mitroff I., Transforming The Crisis-Prone Organization: Preventing Individual, Organizational, and Environmental Tragedies, (San Fransisco: Jossesy-Bass Publishers, 1992), s. 135.
- Ritchie, B. (2003). Chaos, Crises and Disasters: A Strategic Approach to Crisis Management in the Tourism Industry. Tourism Management, 25(1), 670.
- Roux-Dufort, C., Metais, E. (1999). Building Core Competencies in Crisis Management Through Organizational Learning The Case of the French Nuclear Power Producer. Technological Forecasting and Social Change,, 113–127.
- Santos-Vijande, M. L. (2005). Organizational Learning And Market Orientation: İnterface And Effects On Performance. Industrial Marketing Management, Volume 34, (Issue 3), Pages 187–202.
- Santos-Vijande, M. L., José Ángel, L.-S., Juan Antonio, T. (2012). How organizational learning affects a firm's flexibility, competitive strategy and performance. Journal of Business Research, 1079–1089.
- Scott, N., Laws, E., Prideaux, B. (2008). Tourism Crises and Marketing Recovery Strategies. Journal of Travel and Tourism Marketing, 7.
- Seeger, M., Sellnow, T., Ulmer, R. (2003). Communication and organizational crisis. Wesport: CT: Praeger Publishers.
- World Health Organization (WHO) (2014). http://www.who.int/csr/don/2-december-2014-mers/en/.