The impact of school principal's leadership styles on organizational learning: Mediating effect of organizational culture
- Transformational Leadership Style,
- Transactional Leadership Style,
- Laissez-Faire Leadership Style,
- Organizational Culture,
- Organizational Learning
- Dönüşümsel Liderlik, İşlemsel Liderlik, Serbesiyetçi Liderlik, Örgütsel Öğrenme, Örgüt Kültürü
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2021
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Educational institutions also focus on improving the quality to adapt to today's world's continuous and rapidly changing conditions. In improving the quality of educational institutions, the leadership styles of school principals and the organizational learning that can be applied in school are significant. The leadership styles of school principals and organizational learning are also influenced by the culture that has been settled in the school. In this context, this study was conducted to investigate the impact of leadership styles on organizational learning in high schools. The main focus of this research study is on analyzing the critical role of different leadership styles on organizational learning through the use of a quantitative research approach. The primary data in the current study has been collected from 310 high school teachers working in educational institutions of Turkey. The study found that leadership styles have a significant impact on organizational learning. In addition, transformational and transactional leadership styles positively affect organizational learning, and laissez-faire leadership style hurts organizational learning. However, organizational culture has also been found to mediate the relationship between leadership styles and organizational learning significantly.
- Arar, K., & Nasra, M. A. (2019). Leadership style, occupational perception and organizational citizenship behavior in the Arab education system in Israel. Journal of Educational Administration, 57 (1), 85-100. Doi: https://doi.org/10.1108/JEA-08-2017-0094
- Abbas, G., Iqbal, J., Waheed, A., & Naveed Riaz, M. (2012). Relationship between transformational leadership style and innovative work behavior in educational institutions. Journal of Behavioural Sciences, 22(3).
- Abu-Bader, S., & Jones, T. V. (2021). Statistical mediation analysis using the Sobel test and hayes SPSS process macro. International Journal of Quantitative and Qualitative Research Methods.
- Andriani, S., Kesumawati, N., & Kristiawan, M. (2018). The influence of the transformational leadership and work motivation on teachers performance. International Journal of Scientific & Technology Research, 7(7), 19-29.
- Breevaart, K., & Zacher, H. (2019). Main and interactive effects of weekly transformational and laissez‐faire leadership on followers’ trust in the leader and leader effectiveness. Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology, 92 (2), 384-409. Doi: https://doi.org/10.1111/joop.12253
- Berson, Y., Nemanich, L. A., Waldman, D. A., Galvin, B. M., & Keller, R. T. (2006). Leadership and organizational learning: A multiple levels perspective. The leadership quarterly, 17(6), 577-594. Doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.leaqua.2006.10.003
- Bouwmans, M., Runhaar, P., Wesselink, R., & Mulder, M. (2017). Fostering teachers' team learning: An interplay between transformational leadership and participative decision-making?, Teaching and Teacher Education, 65, 71-80. Doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tate.2017.03.010
- Curry, L. A., Brault, M. A., Linnander, E. L., McNatt, Z., Brewster, A. L., Cherlin, E., ... & Bradley, E. H. (2018). Influencing organizational culture to improve hospital performance in care of patients with acute myocardial infarction: a mixed-methods intervention study. BMJ quality & safety, 27(3), 207-217. Doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/bmjqs-2017-006989
- Devece, C., Palacios, D., & Ribeiro-Navarrete, B. (2019). The effectiveness of crowdsourcing in knowledge-based industries: the moderating role of transformational leadership and organizational learning. Economic research-Ekonomska istraživanja, 32 (1), 335-351. Doi: https://doi.org/10.1080/1331677X.2018.1547204
- Daoud, J. I. (2017, December). Multicollinearity and regression analysis. In Journal of Physics: Conference Series (Vol. 949, No. 1, p. 012009). IOP Publishing.
- Freund, R. J., Wilson, W. J., & Sa, P. (2006). Regression analysis. Elsevier.
- Erthal, A., & Marques, L. (2018). National culture and organizational culture in lean organizations: a systematic review. Production Planning & Control, 29(8), 668-687. Doi: https://doi.org/10.1080/09537287.2018.1455233
- Goddard, W., & Melville, S. (2004). Research methodology: An introduction. Juta and Company Ltd.
- Glambek, M., Skogstad, A., & Einarsen, S. (2018). Workplace bullying, the development of job insecurity and the role of laissez-faire leadership: A two-wave moderated mediation study. Work & Stress, 32 (3), 297-312. Doi: https://doi.org/10.1080/02678373.2018.1427815
- Imran, M. K., Ilyas, M., & Aslam, U. (2016). Organizational learning through transformational leadership. The learning organization. 23 (4), 232-248. Doi: https://doi.org/10.1108/TLO-09-2015-0053
- Kalkan, Ü., Altınay Aksal, F., Altınay Gazi, Z., Atasoy, R., & Dağlı, G. (2020). The relationship between school administrators’ leadership styles, school culture, and organizational image. Sage Open, 10(1), 1-15. Do: https://doi.org/10.1177/2158244020902081
- Keawchaum, S. (2017). How transformational leadership influences organizational learning capability, psychologial contract and performance: a mixed methodology research in a Thai case study (Doctoral dissertation, University of Aberdeen).
- Khan, N. A., & Khan, A. N. (2019). What followers are saying about transformational leaders fostering employee innovation via organizational learning, knowledge sharing and social media use in public organizations?. Government Information Quarterly, 36(4), 101391. Doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.giq.2019.07.003
- Kopia, J. (2016). Study on integration and leadership styles of Management Systems based on a high level structure. In International Conference on Management, Leadership & Governance (p. 431). Academic Conferences International Limited.
- Kothari, C. R. (2004). Research methodology: Methods and techniques. New Age International.
- Kumar, R. (2018). Research methodology: A step-by-step guide for beginners. Sage.
- Limpert, E., & Stahel, W. A. (2011). Problems with using the normal distribution–and ways to improve quality and efficiency of data analysis. PLoS One, 6(7), e21403.
- Mannion, R., & Davies, H. (2018). Understanding organizational culture for healthcare quality improvement. Bmj, 363. Doi: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.k4907
- Muthiani, M. J. (2019). The Impact of Leadership on Learning Outcomes: A Study on Effective Leadership Style for Principals in Vocational Colleges, IGI Global, 308-327.
- Mulford, B. (2005). Organizational Learning Questionnaire-Quality Evidence. Leading & Managing, 11 (2), 46-54. Doi: 55bdd6e108aec0e5f44461af.pdf
- Nguyen, T. T. N., & Luu, T. M. N. (2019). Linking transformational leadership and organizational performance: An empirical investigation of manufacturing firms in Vietnam. Economics & Sociology, 12(2), 170.
- Onorato, M. (2013). Transformational leadership style in the educational sector: An empirical study of corporate managers and educational leaders. Academy of Educational Leadership Journal, 17(1), 33.
- O'Reilly III, C.A., Chatman, J. & Caldwell, D.F. (1991). People and organizational culture: A profile comparison approach to assessing person-organization fit. Academy of management journal, 34 (3), 487-516. Doi: https://doi.org/10.5465/256404
- Rijal, S. (2010). Leadership style and organizational culture in learning organization: A comparative study. International Journal of Management & Information Systems (IJMIS), 14(5).
- Sadeghi, A., & Pihie, Z. A. L. (2013). The role of transformational leadership style in enhancing lecturers’ job satisfaction. International Journal of Business and Social Science, 4(8), 264-271.
- Serinkan, C., Enli, P., Akcit, V. & Kiziloglu, M. (2014). Evaluation Of Knowledge Level Of Cargo Companies About Their Organizational Learning and Team Management: An Empirical Research in Cargo Companies in Turkey. Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences, 116, pp.4170-4174. Doi: 10.1016/j.sbspro.2014.01.911
- Serinkan, C., Kiziloglu, M., Akcit, V. & Enli, P., 2014. Organizational learning capacity in cargo industry. Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences, 116, pp.4005-4009. Doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2014.01.881
- Syakur, A., Susilo, T. A. B., Wike, W., & Ahmadi, R. (2020). Sustainability of Communication, Organizational Culture, Cooperation, Trust and Leadership Style for Lecturer Commitments in Higher Education. Budapest International Research and Critics Institute (BIRCI-Journal): Humanities and Social Sciences, 3(2), 1325-1335. Doi: https://doi.org/10.33258/birci.v3i2.980
- Tang, K. N. (2019). Leadership styles and organizational effectiveness. In Leadership and Change Management, SpringerBriefs in Business. Springer, Singapore. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-13-8902-3_2
- Tang, L. L., & Yeh, Y. L. (2015). Effect of organizational culture, leadership style, and organizational learning on organizational innovation in the public sector. 品質學報, 22(5), 461-481.
- Torlak, N. G., & Kuzey, C. (2019). Leadership, job satisfaction and performance links in private education institutes of Pakistan. International Journal of Productivity and Performance Management. 68 (2), 276-295. Doi: https://doi.org/10.1108/IJPPM-05-2018-0182
- Xie, L. (2019). Leadership and organizational learning culture: a systematic literature review. European journal of training and development.
- Yang, I. (2015). Positive effects of laissez-faire leadership: conceptual exploration. Journal of Management Development. 34 (10), 1246-1261. Doi: https://doi.org/10.1108/JMD-02-2015-0016
- Zagoršek, H., Dimovski, V., & Škerlavaj, M. (2009). Transactional and transformational leadership impacts on organizational learning. Journal for East European Management Studies, 14 (2), 144-165.