THE ROLE OF CULTURAL CHANGES IN INTERGENERATIONAL CONFLICTS IN ORGANIZATIONAL PROCESSES: A SURVEY AIMED AT ACADEMICIANS
How to Cite
The phenomenon of change in the cultural structure brought about differences in values, beliefs and behavior in the social structure. The fact that the phenomenon of change is not acknowledged by adult generations, the inability to understand the behaviors of new generations brings about the possibility of conflicts between new and adult generations. The conflicts that individuals primarily experience in the family environment also manifest themselves when they are beginning to work within an institution. Many theoretical-based studies in the literature show that conflicts that occur during generations may be related to cultural changes.
In the study, it was tried to determine whether the X generation academicians working at the universities had experienced conflict with the Y generation of the younger generation. In addition, the Y generation academics were investigated whether they lived in conflict with the elderly generations, named X generation,, Baby Boomers generation and silent generation. In addition in the survey; the relation between the avoidance of variables measuring the cultural dimensions and uncertainty, power distance, collectivism I, collectivism II, assertiveness, gender segregation, being orientation for future and performance, differentiations in humanistic approach and intergenerational conflicts are searched.
Data are collected over the web sites by survey method, face to face meeting and via fax and 428 applicable interview results have been provided. In the analysis of the data, the structural equality model was utilized. As a result of the analyzes made; It has been determined that the X generation is rarely conflict with Y generation, the Y generation is rarely conflict with X generation, Baby Boomers generation and silent generation. Collectivism II and performance orientation and relation of intergenerational conflicts has been found in reverse direction where the relation of intergenerational conflicts with gender apartheid dimension was in positive direction.
- Arsenault, P. M. (2004), “Validating Generational Differences A Legitimate Diversity and Leadership Issue”, The Leadership & Organization Development Journal, 25(2), 124-141.
- Arslan, S. and Özdemir, Ş. (2010), İş Başarımını Etkileyen Örgütsel Stres Kaynakları ve Araştırma Görevlileri Üzerine Bir Araştırma, 8.Uluslararası Bilgi, Ekonomi ve Yönetim Kongresi, İstanbul Üniversitesi İktisat Fakültesi, 28-31 Ekim, İstanbul.
- Besimoğlu, C. (2007), Akademisyenlerin Elektronik Dergi Kullanımında Disiplinler Arasındaki Farklılıklar, (Yayınlanmamış Yüksek Lisans Tezi), Hacettepe Üniversitesi, Sosyal Bilimler Enstitüsü Bilgi ve Belge Yönetimi Anabilim Dalı, Ankara.
- Burke, M. E. (2004), Generational Differences Survey Report, SHRM Research, August.
- Clarke, E. J., Preston, M., Raksin, J., Bengtson, V.L.(1999), “Types of Conflicts and Tensions Between Older Parents and Adult Children”, The Gerontologist, 39 (3), 261 -270.
- Crumpacker, M. and Crumpacker, J.M. (2007), “Succession Planning and Generational Stereotypes: Should HR Consider Age-Based Values and Attitudes a Relevant Factor or a Passing Fad?”, Public Personnel Management, 36 (4), 349-369.
- Deal, J. J. (2007), “Generational Differences”, Leadership Excellence, 24 (6), 11-11.
- Flamant, N. (2007), “A Generation Clash or Organisational Conflict? Two Trains Arunning”, Sociologie Du Travail, 49 (2), 110-128.
- Goertzel, T. (1972), Generational Conflict and Social Change, Youth and Society, March, Sage Publications.
- Green, D. D. (2008), “Value Transformation in 21st Century Organizations”, Journal of Organizational Culture, Communications and Conflict, 12 (2), 95-102.
- Glass, A. (2007), Understanding Generational Differences For Competitive Success, Industrial and Commercial Training, 39 (2), 98-103.
- Gümüşsuyu, Ç. (2008), Örgütsel Çatışma ve Çatışma Yönetimi, (ed. Kenan Mehmet Ekici; Tarık Zeki Şahım), İşletme Becerileri Grup Çalışması (içinde), Ankara: Savaş Yayınevi, Ocak.
- Güvenç, B. (1997), Kültürün ABC’si, İstanbul: Yapı Kredi Yayınları, 1. Baskı, Ekim.
- Haeberle, K., Herzberg, J., Hobby, T. (2009), “Leading the Multigenerational Work Force”, Healthcare Executive, 24(5), 62-67.
- Haserot, P. W. (2005), “A Recipe for Solving Generational Conflict at Professional Service Firms”, Of Counsel, 24 (6), 11-13.
- Hofstede, G., Neuijen, B., Ohayv, D.D., Sanders, G. (1990), “Measuring Organizational Cultures; A Qualitative and Quantitative Study Across Twenty Cases”, Administrative Science Quarterly, 35 (2), 286-316.
- Hofstede, G. (1980), Cultures Consequences: International Differences in Work-Related Values, Sage Publications.
- Hoppe, M. (2007), Culture and Leader Effectiveness: The GLOBE Study, 1-6. <http://www.inspireimagineinnovate.com/PDF/GLOBEsummary-by-Michael-H-Hoppe.pdf>
- House, R., Javidan, M., Dorfman, P. (1999), Research Survey-GLOBE Project,
- Javidan, M., Robert J. H., Peter W. D. (2004), A Nontechnical Summary of GLOBE Findings, (ed. House, Robert J; Paul J. Hanges, Mansour Javidan, Peter W. Dorfman; Vipin Gupta), Culture, Leadership and Organizations: The Globe Study of 62 Societies (içinde) , California: Sage Publications.
- Jehn, K. A., Bendersky, C. (2003), “Intragroup Conflict In Organizations: A Contingency Perspective On The Conflict-Outcome Relationship”, Research in Organizational Behavior, Vol: 25, 187-243.
- Jehn, K. A., Mannix E. A. (2001), “The Dynamic Nature of Conflict: A Longitudinal Study of Intragroup Conflict and Group Performance”, Academy of Management Journal, 44 (2), 238-251.
- Jehn, K. A. (1995), “A Multi Method Examination of the Benefits and Detriments of Intragroup Conflict”, Administrative Science Quarterly, 40 (2), 256-282.
- Krywulak, T., Roberts, M. (2009), Winning the Generation Wars: Making the Most of Generational Similarities and Differences in the Workplace, The Conference Board of Canada, Report November 1-76, Canada.
- Keleş, H. N. (2011), “Y Kuşağı Çalışanlarının Motivasyon Profillerinin Belirlenmesine Yönelik Bir Araştırma”, Organizasyon ve Yönetim Bilimleri Dergisi, 3 (2), 129-139.
- Kyles, D. (2005), “Managing Your Multigenerational Workforce”, Strategic Finance, 87 (6), 53-55.
- Lauquier, H.C. (1961), “Cultural Change Among Three Generations of Greeks”, The American Catholic Sociological Review, 22 ( 3), 223-232.
- Mengi, Zeynep. İş Başarısında Kuşak Farkı, <http://www.kigem.com/content.asp?bodyID=4962>
- Müftüoğlu, M. T., Durukan, T. (2004). Girişimcilik ve KOBİ’ler, Gazi kitabevi, Şubat.
- Özgüven, İ. E.(2001). Ailede İletişim ve Yaşam, Ankara: PDREM Yayınları.
- Platteau, E., Hondeghem A. (2010), Intergenerational Conflict in Organizations: The Case of Local Governments in Flanders (Belgium), Paper presented at the 23rd Annual Conference of the International Association for Conflict Management, Leuven – Belgium, June 24 - 27, 1-31.
- Platteau, E., Molenveld, A., Demuzere, S.,Hondeghem, A. (2011a). The Clash of Generations? Divergent and Convergent Views on the Ideal Organizational Culture Between Younger And Older Employees in Two Municipalities, Paper Presented at the 33th Annual Conference of the European Group for Public Administration, Bucharest, Romania, September 7-10, 1-35.
- Platteau, E., Molenveld, A., Demuzere, S.(2011b), Do Generational Differences Regarding Organizational Culture Affect Intergenerational Conflict? A Quantitative Study in a Local Government Organization, Paper Presented at the 24rd Annual International Association of Conflict Management Conference Istanbul, Turkey, July 3 – 6, 1-27.
- Reeves, T. C., Oh, E. (2008), Generational Differences, in Handbook of Research On Educational Communications And Technology, 295-303, Editörler: J.Michael Spector, M.David Merrill, Jeroen Van Merrienboer, Marcy P.Driscoll, 3th ed., New York: Taylor&Francis Group.
- Robbins, S. P., Judge, T. A. (2012), Organizational Behavior, (Çev. Ed. İnci Erdem), 14. Basım, İstanbul: Nobel Yayınları.
- Rodoplu, D. (2003), Örgütlerde Farklı İnsan Kaynakları Kuşaklarına Yönlendirilmiş Yönetim Yaklaşımları Geliştirme, 2. Ulusal Bilgi Ekonomi ve Yönetim Kongresi, Kocaeli Üniversitesi İ.İ.B.F. Bildiriler Kitabı, Derbent, İzmit.
- Sapiro, V. (1980), “News From the Front: Intersex and Intergenerational Conflict Over the Status of Women”, The Western Political Quarterly, 33 (2), 260-277.
- Schein, E. (2002), “Örgütsel Kültür”, Dokuz Eylül Üniversitesi Sosyal Bilimler Enstitüsü Dergisi, 4 (3), (Çev: Atilla Akbaba), 1-32.
- Scherger, S. (2009), “Cultural Practices, Age And The Life Course””, Cultural Trends, 18 (1), 23–45.
- Seçkin-Büyük, S. (2005), Biz Kuşağı Geliyor”, Capital Aylık İş ve Ekonomi Dergisi, Yıl: 13, Sayı: 10, Ekim.
- Senbir, H. (2004), Z Son İnsan Mı?, 1. Baskı, Nisan, İstanbul: “O” Kitaplar.
- Solmuş, T. (2004), İş Yaşamında Duygular ve Kişilerarası İlişkiler, 1. Basım, Haziran, İstanbul: Beta Yayınları.
- Straus, M.A. (1979), “Measuring Intrafamily Conflict and Violence: The Conflict Tactics (CT) Scales”, Journal of Marriage and Family, 41 (1), 75-88.
- Şimşek, M. Ş., Akgemci, T., Çelik, A. (2003), Davranış Bilimlerine Giriş ve Örgütlerde Davranış, 3. Baskı, Konya.
- Tezcan, M. (1981), Kuşaklar Çatışması: Okuyan ve Çalışan Gençlik Üzerine Bir Araştırma, Ankara.
- Tolbize, A. (2008), Generational Differences In The Workplace, Research and Training Center on Community Living, University of Minnesota, 1-21.
- Triandis, H.C., Suh E.M. (2002), “Cultural Influences on Personality”, Annual Review of Psychology, 53, 133-160.
- Türk Dil Kurumu; Büyük Türkçe Sözlük, <http://tdkterim.gov.tr/bts.>
- Twenge, J. M. (2009), Ben Nesli, İstanbul: Kaknüs Yayınları: 415, (Çev. Esra Öztürk), 1. Baskı.
- Vodosek, M. (2005), “Cultural Diversity, Intragroup Conflict, And Group Outcomes: Evidence For A Mediated Relationship”, Academy of Management Annual Meeting Proceedings, D1-D6.
- Yelkikalan, N., Altın, E. (2010), “Farklı Kuşakların Yönetimi”, Yönetim Bilimleri Dergisi, 8 (2), 13-18.
- Yörükoğlu, A. (1996), Gençlik Çağı: Ruh Sağlığı ve Ruhsal Sorunlar, İstanbul: Özgür yayınları, 9.Baskı, Haziran.
- Yi, X., Ribbens, B., Morgan, C.N. (2010), “Generational Differences In China: Career Implications”, Career Development International, 15 (6), 601-620.
- Weingarten, R. M. (2009), “Four Generations, One Workplace: A Gen X-Y Staff Nurse’s View of Team Building in The Emergency Department”, Journal Of Emergency Nursing, 35 (1), 27- 30.
- Williams, S. (2010), “Welcome To Generation Z”, B&T Magazine, 60 (2731), 12- 12.