ASSURANCE OF SUSTAINABILITY REPORTS WITH REGARDS TO CORPORATE GOVERNANCE, AND A STUDY ON BIST SUSTAINABILITY INDEX
- Corporate Governance, Sustainability Reports, Assurance Services
- Kurumsal Yönetim, Sürdürülebilirlik Raporları, Güvence Hizmetleri
How to Cite
Companies need to consider environmental, economic and social benefits in order to sustain their activities in the long term. Companies that grow up within the scope of corporate governance approach aim to establish balanced relationships with stakeholders and to create value for them, taking into account the public interest. For this reason, sustainability is one of the important concepts for companies. In this context, it means protecting the resources needed for future generations by ensuring more accurate use of resources today. For future generations, it is important to create sustainability awareness in terms of the existence of a world that considers the environment and takes into account equality and justice. The necessity of creating this awareness has led the companies to carry out various studies. Sustainability which is a concept that attracts more attention of all social and economic groups, has led to a variety of changes in reporting concepts. The reporting types which were known as “environmental reporting” or “social reporting” so far, now relinquished its place to the type called “sustainability reporting”. Apart from financial data, it is issued that non-financial data must be reported too, as it is issued that there has to be triple reporting in economic, social, and environmental terms. The change was not only in reporting format; there also emerged a new concept named “sustainability expectaion” for stakeholders. Surely this situation has made apparent the requirements in assurance activities about the sustainability expectations and needs that have to be refined in these terms. This has made the need for independent assurance/auditing activities to meet the expectations for sustainability and the need to improve the relevant processes. It is known that; companies aim to protect the interests of stakeholders through corporate governance including fairness, transparency, accountability and responsibility principles. As assurance services constitute an important mechanism of corporate governance, independent assurance services provided within the scope of sustainability reporting will increase the value of the reports and will also contribute to transparency. The study first explains the concepts of sustainability, sustainability reporting and assurance, emphasizing on the independent/external assurance of these reports. Then, the study looks into the current situation in Turkey concerning the assurance of these reports, examining the companies included in the BIST Sustainability Index for the period of 2018-2019.
- Adams, C. A., Evans, R. (2004). Accountability, Completeness, Credibility and The Audit Expectations Gap, Journal of Corporate Citizenship. 14, 97-115.
- Aguilera, R., Jackson, G. (2003). The Cross-national Diversity of Corporate Governance: Dimensions and Determinants. Academy of Management Review, 28(3), 447-465.
- Altıntaş, N. (2010). Bağımsız Denetim ve Vergi Denetimi Dışındaki Güvence Hizmetleri: Türkiye’deki Uygulamalar Hakkında Bir Araştırma. (Yayınlanmamış Doktora Tezi). İstanbul Üniversitesi S.B.E. İstanbul.
- Anttila, M. (2013). Exploring the Challenges of Assuring CSR Information. Aalto University School of Business Presss. Calgary/Alberta.
- Aras, G. (2006). İşletmelerde Sürdürülebilir Değer Yaratma ve İç Denetim. www.denetimnet.net.
- Atabay, E. (2018). Destek Hizmet Kuruluşlarındaki Kontrollere Yönelik Güvence Hizmetleri. TBB Yayınları, No: 324, İstanbul.
- Ball, A., Owen, D., Gray, R. (2000). External Transparency or Internal Capture? The Role of Third-party Statements in Adding Value to Corporate Environmental Reports. Business Strategy and The Environment, 9(11), 1-23.
- Ballesteros, B. Martínez, J., García-Sánchez, I. M. (2017). Mitigating Information Asymmetry Through Sustainability Assurance: The Role of Accountants and Levels of Assurance. International Business Review, 26(6), 1141-1156.
- Ballou, B., Heitger, D., Landes, C. (2006). The Rise of Corporate Sustainability Reporting: A Rapidly Growing Assurance Opportunity. Journal of Accountancy, 202(6), 65-74.
- Baumgartner, R. J. (2009). Organizational Culture and Leadership: Preconditions for the Development of a Sustainable Corporation Sustainable Benefits and Limits. ACM International Conference Proceeding Series.
- Bhasa, M.P. (2004). Global Corporate Governance: Debates and Challenges, Corporate Governance. The International Journal of Business in Society. 4(2), 5-17.
- Borsa İstanbul (2014). Borsa İstanbul (BIST) Sürdürülebilirlik Bülteni. https://www.borsaistanbul.com/
- Bozkurt, N. (2012). TÜRMOB Bağımsız Denetim, Ankara: TÜRMOB Yayınları.
- Brown L.H., Zamora, V. L. (2014). The Role of Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) Assurance in Investors' Judgments When Managerial Pay is Explicitly Tied to CSR Performance. Auditing: A Journal of Practice & Theory, 34(1), 75-96.
- Cadbury Report (1992). Report of the Committee on the Financial Aspects of Corporate Governance.
- Ceran, E. B. (2017). Kurumsal Sürdürülebilirlik Kavramı ve Ölçümüne İlişkin Bir Ön Çalışma. Istanbul Üniversitesi Işletme Fakültesi Dergisi, 46(Special Issue).
- Clausen, J., Loew, T., Westermann, U. (2005). Sustainability Reporting in Germany. Summary of the Results and Trends of the 2005 Ranking.
- Cohen, J. R., Simnett, R. (2015). CSR and Assurance Services: A Research Agenda. Auditing. A Journal of Practice & Theory, 34(1), 59–74.
- Cormier, D., Ledoux, M. J., Magnan, M. (2011). The Informational Contribution of Social and Environmental Disclosures for Investors. Management Decision, 49(8).
- CorporateRegister (2008). The CSR Assurance Report. London, UK.
- Çalışkan, A.Ö. (2012). İşletmelerde Sürdürülebilirlik ve Muhasebe Mesleği İlişkisi. Mali Çözüm Dergisi, Temmuz-Ağustos.
- Dando, N., Swift, T. (2003). Transparency and Assurance: Minding the Credibility Gap. Journal of Business Ethics. 44 (2/3), 95 – 200.
- Deegan, C., Cooper, B., Shelly, M. (2006). An Investigation of TBL Report Assurance Statements: UK and European Evidence. Managerial Auditing Journal, 21(4), 329-371.
- Deloitte (2006). Nedir bu kurumsal yönetim? (çevrimi¬çi).
- Demirbaş, M., Uyar, S. (2006). Kurumsal Yönetim İlkeleri ve Denetim Komitesi, İstanbul: Güncel.
- Du Toit, A. (2008). Sustainability Assurance as A Driver of Change For The Auditing Profession. Blackpool, England: British Accounting Association (BAA) Annual Conference.
- Dyllick, T., Hockerts, K. (2002). Beyond The Business Case For Corporate Sustainability. Business Strategy and The Environment, 11(2), 130-141.
- Ernst&Young (2010), Sustainability Reporting: Seven Questions CEOs and Boards Should Ask About Triple Bottom Line Reporting.
- Fonseca, A. (2010). How Credible Are Mining Corporations’ Sustainability Reports? A Critical Analysis of External Assurance under The Requirements of The International Council on Mining and Metals. Corporate Social Responsibility Environmental Management, 17, 355–370.
- Global Report Initiative (GRI) (2006). Sustainability Reporting Guidelines.
- Global Report Initiative (GRI) (2013). The External Assurance of Sustainability Reporting.
- Global Report Initiative (GRI) (2015). Sustainability Reporting Guidelines.
- Hodge, K., Subramaniam, N., & Stewart, J. (2009). Assurance of Sustainability Reports: Impact on Report Users' Confidence and Perceptions of Information Credibility. Australian Accounting Review, 19(3), 178-194.
- Janković, S., Krivačić, D. (2014). Environmental Accounting as Perspective for Hotel Sustainability: Literature Review. Tourism and Hospitality Management, 20(1), 103-120.
- Joyce, A., Smith, Van der Laan, Tondkar, R.H. (2005). Exploring Differences in Social Disclosures Internationally: A Stakeholder Perspective. Journal of Accounting and Public Policy. 24(2), 123-151.
- Junior, R. M., Best, P. J., Cotter, J. (2014). Sustainability Reporting and Assurance: A Historical Analysis on A World-wide Phenomenon. Journal of Business Ethics. 120(1), 1-11.
- Kolk, A., Perego, P. (2010). Determinants of the Adoption of Sustainability Assurance Statements: An International Investigation. Business Strategy and the Environment, 19(3), 182-198.
- Kuşat, N. (2012). Sürdürülebilir İşletmeler için Kurumsal Sürdürülebilirlik ve İçsel Unsurları. Afyon Kocatepe Üniversitesi İktisadi ve İdari Bilimler Fakültesi Dergisi, 14(2).
- Laufer, W. (2003). Social Accountability and Corporate Greenwashing. Journal of Business Ethics, 43(3), 253-61.
- Leuz, C., Verrecchia, R. E. (2000). The Economic Consequences of Increased Disclosure. Journal of Accounting Research, 91-124.
- Lozano, R. (2015). A Holistic Perspective on Corporate Sustainability Driver. Corporate Social Responsibility and Environmental Management, 22(1), 32–44.
- Lozano, R., Huisingh, D. (2011). Inter-linking Issues and Dimensions in Sustainability Reporting. Journal of Cleaner Production, 19, 99–107.
- Manetti, G, Toccafondi, S. (2012). The Role of Stakeholders in Sustainability Reporting Assurance. Journal of Business Ethics, Vol. 107, 363–377.
- Manetti, G., Becatti, L. (2009). Assurance Services for Sustainability Reports: Standards and Empirical Evidence. Journal of Business Ethics, Vol. 87, 289– 298.
- Mengi, B., Özgül, B. (2016). Kurumsal Sürdürülebilirlik ve Güvencesi, İstanbul: Beta Yayıncılık.
- O’Dwyer, B., Owen, D., Unerman, J. (2011). Seeking Legitimacy for New Assurance Forms: The Case of Assurance on Sustainability Reporting. Accounting, Organizations and Society, 36(1), 31-52.
- Owen, D, Chapple, W., Urzola, A. (2009). Key Issues in Sustainability Assurance, International Centre for Corporate Social Responsibility, London: International Centre for Corporate Social Responsibility.
- Önce, S., Onay, A., Yeşilçelebi, G. (2015). Kurumsal Sürdürülebilirlik Raporlaması ve Türkiye’deki Durum. Journal of Economics Finance and Accounting, 2(2), 230- 252.
- Park, J., Brorson, T. (2005). Experiences of and Views on Third-party Assurance of Corporate Environmental and Sustainability Reports. Journal of Clearner Production, 13(10-11).
- Pflugrath, G., Roebuck, P., Simnett, R. (2011). Impact of Assurance and Assurer’s Professional Affiliation on Financial Analysts’ Assessment of Credibility of Corporate Social Responsibility Information. Auditing: A Journal of Practice & Theory, 30.
- Reimsbach, D., Hahn, R., Gürtürk A. (2017). Integrated Reporting and Assurance of Sustainability Information: An Experimental Study on Professional Investors. European Accounting Review, 26(1), 1–23.
- Scholl, H. J. (2001). Applying Stakeholder Theory to E-government, In Towards the E-society. Springer, Boston: MA.
- Schuetzse, P.W. (1994). A Mountain or a Molehill. Accounting Horizons. 8. 69-75.
- Simnett, R.,Vanstraelen, A., Chua, W. F. (2009). Assurance on Sustainability Reports: An International Comparison. The Accounting Review, 84.
- Soltani, B. (2007). Auditing: An International Approach, UK: Prentice-Hall.
- Ullmann, A. A. (1985). Data in Search of A Theory: A critical Examination of The Relationships Among Social Performance, Social Disclosure and Economic Performance of US Firms. Academy of Management Review, 10(3), 540-557.
- Vartiak, L. (2016). CSR Reporting of Companies on a Global Scale. Procedia Economics and Finance, 39, 176-183.
- White, G. (2009). Sustainability Reporting, Managing for Wealth and Corporate Health, LLC: Business Expert Press.
- Willaert, T. (2016). Transition To The GRI Standards: Understanding The Main Changes. DQS-CFS.
- Wilson, M. (2003). Corporate Sustainability: What is it and where does it come from?. Ivey Business Journal, (March/April 2003), 1-5.
- World Bank (2004). State – Society Synergy for Accountability: Lessons for the. World Bank Working Paper, No.30, Washington.
- World Commission on Environment and Development-WCED. (1987). Our Common Future- Brundtland Report.
- Yakar, N. (2017). Corporate Carbon Accounting and Reporting in Turkey: Analysis of Companinies in the BIST Sustainability Index. Göksel Yücel (Ed.). Seçmeler 2017 içinde. İstanbul: İstanbul Üniversitesi, İşletme Fakültesi, Muhasebe Enstitüsü Yayınları.
- İnternet Kaynakları:
- ISAE 3000, https://www.ifac.org/system/files/downloads/b012-2010-iaasb-handbook-isae-3000.pdf