THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN SELF-EXPRESSION, SOCIAL VISIBILITY OF BRAND AND BRAND LOVE
How to Cite
The subject of this study is brand love, which is studied in a very limited number of studies. The long-term sustainability of the emotional bond that the consumer has established with the business makes the concept of brand love very important for both consumers and manufacturers today. A brand loved by consumers can gain a great deal of strength in competition. The main goal of the study is to determine the relationship between brand love, self-expression brand and social visibility of brand. In line with the aim, the study has been carried out through colleting primary data from the 459 consumers in Kayseri. The data were analyzed with the SPSS 22 package program. The findings of the research reveal that the brand love is related to as well as to the expression of inner self and social self. It has also been found that there is a relationship between brand love and social visibility of brand. The social visibility of brand is not addressed in the previous literature. It is expected that this work will contribute to a better understanding of the issue as the first study to address the social visibility of the brand in the brand love literature.
- Akın, M. (2017). “The effects of young consumers’ love for smart mobıle phone brands on brand loyalty”, International review of management and business research, 6(1), 362-370.
- Albert, N., Merunka, D. & Valette-Florence, P. (2013). “Brand passion: antecedents and consequences”, Journal of Business Research, 66 (7), 904-909.
- Altunışık, R., Coşkun, R., Bayraktaroğlu, S., & Yıldırım, E. (2007). Sosyal bilimlerde araştırma yöntemleri. Sakarya Yayıncılık, Sakarya.
- Aşkın, N., & İpek, I. (2016). “Marka aşkının marka deneyimi ile marka sadakati arasındaki ilişkiye aracılık etkisi”, Ege akademik bakış, 16(1), 79-94.
- Aydın, H. (2016). “Marka aşkının değerlendirilmesi: Beyaz eşya kullanıcıları üzerine bir araştırma”. Tüketici ve Tüketim Araştırmaları Dergisi, 8 (2) 125-149.
- Ayvaz, S. (2017). “Aşkın tüketim kültürü üzerinden yeniden anlamlandırılması: markafoni örneği”. Ankara üniversitesi İLEF dergisi, 4(1), 149-170.
- Ball, A. D. & Tasaki, L. H. (1992). “The role and measurement of attachment in consumer behavior”, Journal of consumer psychology, 1(2), 155-172.
- Batra, R., Ahuvia, A. & Bagozzi, R. P. (2012). “Brand love”, Journal of marketing, 76(2), 1-16.
- Bauer, H., Heinrich, D. & Albrecht, C. M. (2009). “All you need is love: Assessing consumers’ brand love”, In Proceedings of the American Marketing Association summer educators conference , 252-53, Chicago: American Marketing Association.
- Balıkçıoğlu, B., & Oflazoğlu, S. (2015). “Marka Evangelizmi, Benlik-Marka Imaji Uyumu ve Marka Sadakati Iliskisi Üzerine Ampirik Bir Arastirma”. Tüketici ve Tüketim Araştırmaları Dergisi, 7(2), 19-45.
- Bearden, W. O. & Etzel, M. J. (1982). “Reference group influence on product and brand purchase decisions”, Journal of consumer research, 9(2), 183-194.
- Belch, G. E. & Landon Jr, E. L. (1977). “Discriminant validity of a product-anchored self-concept measure”, Journal of Marketing Research, 14 (May), 252-256.
- Belk, R. W. (1975). “Situational variables and consumer behavior”, Journal of Consumer research, 2(3), 157-164.
- Belk, R. W. (1988). “Possessions and the Extended Self,” Journal of Consumer Research, 15(2), 139-68.
- Belk, R. W., Bahn, K. D. & Mayer, R. N. (1982). “Developmental recognition of consumption symbolism”. Journal of consumer research, 9(1), 4-17.
- Bergkvist, L. & Bech-Larsen, T. (2010). “Two studies of consequences and actionable antecedents of brand love”, Journal of brand management, 17(7), 504-518.
- Bıçakcıoğlu, N., İpek, İ., & Bayraktaroğlu, G. (2016). Antecedents and outcomes of brand love: the mediating role of brand loyalty. Journal of Marketing Communications, 1-15.
- Carroll, B. A. & Ahuvia, A. C. (2006). “Some antecedents and outcomes of brand love”, Marketing letters, 17(2), 79-89.
- Cătălin, M. C., & Andreea, P. (2014).”Brands as a mean of consumer self-expression and desired personal lifestyle”. Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences, 109, 103-107.
- Chamberlain, L. & Broderick, A. J. (2007). “The application of physiological observation methods to emotion research”. Qualitative Market Research: An International Journal, 10(2), 199-216.
- Coricelli, G., Dolan, R. J. & Sirigu, A. (2007). “Brain, emotion and decision making: the paradigmatic example of regret”, Trends in cognitive sciences, 11(6), 258-265.
- Durmuş, B., Çinko, M. & Yurtkoru, S. (2011). Sosyal bilimlerde SPSS’le veri analizi, 4. Baskı, Beta Yayıncılık, İstanbul.
- Einwiller, S.A., Fedorikhin, A., Johnson, A.R. & Kamins, M.A. (2006). “Enough is enough! When identification no longer prevents negative corporate associations”, Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 34 (2),185-194.
- Fetscherin, M. (2014). “What type of relationship do we have with loved brands?”, Journal of Consumer Marketing, 31(6/7), 430-440.
- Fournier, S. (1998). “Consumers and their brands: Developing relationship theory in consumer research”, Journal of consumer research, 24(4), 343-373.
- Graeff, T. R. (1997). “Consumption situations and the effects of brand image on consumers' brand evaluations”, Psychology ve Marketing, 14(1), 49-70.
- Gross, M. J. & Brown, G. (2006). “Tourism experiences in a lifestyle destination setting: The roles of involvement and place attachment”, Journal of business research, 59(6), 696-700.
- He, H. & Mukherjee, A. (2007). “I am, ergo I shop: does store image congruity explain shopping behaviour of Chinese consumers?”, Journal of Marketing Management, 23(5-6), 443-460.
- Heinrich, D., Albrecht, C. M. & Bauer, H. H. (2012). Love actually? Measuring and exploring consumers’ brand love. Consumer-Brand Relationships–Theory and Practice. London: Routledge, 137-150.
- Huber, F., Meyer, F. & Schmid, D. A. (2015). “Brand love in progress–the interdependence of brand love antecedents in consideration of relationship duration”. Journal of Product & Brand Management, 24(6), 567-579.
- Hwang, J. Y. & Kandampully, J. (2012). “The Role of Self-Construal and Emotionsin Younger Consumers' Commitment to Luxury Brands”. The Research Journal of the Costume Culture, 20(4), 604-615.
- Ismail, R. A. & Spinelli, G. (2012). “Effects of brand love, personality and image on word of mouth: The case of fashion brands among young consumers”. Journal of Fashion Marketing and Management: An International Journal, 16(4), 386-398.
- Jamal, A. & Goode, M. M. (2001), “Consumers and brands: a study of the impact of self-image congruence on brand preference and satisfaction”, Marketing Intelligence ve Planning, 19(7), 482-492.
- Jamal, A. & Al-Marri, M. (2007). “Exploring the effect of self-image congruence and brand preference on satisfaction: the role of expertise”, Journal of Marketing Management, 23(7-8), 613-629.
- Kang, A. (2015). “Brand Love–Moving Beyond Loyalty An Empirical Investigation of Perceived Brand Love of Indian Consumer”. Arab Economic and Business Journal, 10(2), 90-101.
- Keh, H. T., Pang, J. & Peng, S. (2007). “ Understanding and measuring brand love”, In Society for Consumer Psychology Conference Proceedings, 84-88.
- Keller K.L. (2008) Strategic brand management - Building, measuring and managing brand equity, upper saddle river, NJ: Prentice Hall.
- Kleine, S. S., Kleine, R. E. & Allen, C. T. (1995). “How is a possession “me” or “not me”? Characterizing types and an antecedent of material possession attachment”, Journal of consumer research, 22(3), 327-343.
- Kressmann, F., Sirgy, M. J., Herrmann, A., Huber, F., Huber, S. & Lee, D. J. (2006), “Direct and indirect effects of self-image congruence on brand loyalty”, Journal of Business Research, 59(9), 955-964.
- Kulviwat, S., Bruner, G. C. & Al-Shuridah, O. (2009). “The role of social influence on adoption of high tech innovations: The moderating effect of public/private consumption”. Journal of Business Research, 62(7), 706-712.
- Lee, D. & Hyman, M. R. (2008). “Hedonic/functional congruity between stores and private label brands”, Journal of Marketing Theory and Practice, 16(3), 219-232.
- Leigh, J. H. & Gabel, T. G. (1992). “Symbolic interactionism: its effects on consumer behaviour and implications for marketing strategy”, Journal of Services Marketing, 6(3), 5-16.
- Loureiro, S. M. C., Ruediger, K. H., & Demetris, V. (2012). “Brand emotional connection and loyalty”. Journal of Brand Management, 20(1), 13-27.
- Malär, L., Krohmer, H., Hoyer, W. D. & Nyffenegger, B. (2011). “Emotional brand attachment and brand personality: The relative importance of the actual and the ideal self”. Journal of Marketing, 75(4), 35-52.
- Odabaşı, Y., & Barış, G. (2015). Tüketici davranışı. MediaCat Akademi.
- Özbek, V., A. Yıldırım., O. Doğan, A. Külahlı, (2017). “Antecedents of brand love: a research on bank customers”, PressAcademia Procedia (PAP), 3, 609-619.
- Patwardhan, H., & Balasubramanian, S. K. (2011). Brand romance: a complementary approach to explain emotional attachment toward brands. Journal of Product & Brand Management, 20(4), 297-308.
- Pektaş G. E., Erdem O., Yıldız E., & Karadeniz M. “ Sosyal Pazarlama Uygulamalarının Marka Aşkı Aracılığı Rolü ile Tüketici Satın Alma Davranışına Etkisi: Deterjan Pazarı Üzerinde Bir Araştırma”, 20. Ulusal Pazarlama Kongresi, 10-13 Haziran 2015, 717-720, Eskişehir.
- Rauschnabel, P., Ahuvia, A., Ivens, B. & Leischnig, A. (2015). The personality of brand lovers. In Consumer Brand Relationships (pp. 108-122). Palgrave Macmillan UK.
- Richins, M. L. (1994), “Valuing Things: The Public and Private Meanings of Possessions”, Journal of Consumer Research, 21(3), 504-521.
- Sarkar A., (2014). “Brand love in emerging market: a qualitative investigation”, Qualitative Market Research: An International Journal, 17, 481 – 494.
- Shimp, T. A. & Madden, T. J. (1988). “Consumer-object relations: A conceptual framework based analogously on Sternberg's triangular theory of love”, ACR North American Advances.
- Sirgy, M. J. & Samli, A. C. (1985). “A path analytic model of store loyalty involving self-concept, store image, geographic loyalty, and socioeconomic status”, Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 13(3), 265-291.
- Sirgy, M. J. (1986). “A Quality‐of‐Life Theory Derived from Maslow's Developmental Perspective”. American Journal of Economics and Sociology, 45(3), 329-342.
- Thomson, M., Macınnis, D. J. & Park, C. W. (2005). “The ties that bind: Measuring the strength of consumers’ emotional attachments to brands”, Journal of consumer psychology, 15(1), 77-91.
- Turgut, M.Ü. (2014). Marka sevgisinin marka güveni, olumsuz bilgiye karşı direnç ve tekrar satın alma niyeti çerçevesinde incelenmesi. Yüksek Lisans Tezi, Ankara, Hacettepe Üniversitesi Sosyal Bilimler Enstitüsü.
- Veloutsou, C. & Moutinho, L. (2009). “Brand relationships through brand reputation and brand tribalism”, Journal of Business Research, 62(3), 314-322.
- Vernuccio, M., Pagani, M., Barbarossa, C & Pastore, A. (2015). Antecedents of brand love in online network-based communities. A social identity perspective. Journal of Product & Brand Management, 24(7), 706-719.
- Vlachos, P. A., Theotokis, A., Pramatari, K. & Vrechopoulos, A. (2010). “Consumer-retailer emotional attachment: Some antecedents and the moderating role of attachment anxiety”. European Journal of Marketing, 44(9/10), 1478-1499.
- Whang, Y.O., Allen, J., Sahoury, N. and Zhang, H. (2004), “Falling in love with a product: The structure of a romantic consumer–product relationship,” Advances in Consumer Research, 31, 320-327.
- Witt, R. E. & Bruce, G. D. (1972). “Group influence and brand choice congruence”, Journal of Marketing Research, 9(4), 440-443.