THE INVESTIGATION OF ONLINE CUSTOMER COMPLAINTS IN THE BANKING SECTOR BY TEXT MINING
- Customer Complaints, Text Mining, Clustering Analysis
- Müşteri Şikayetleri,
- Metin Madenciliği,
- Kümeleme Analizi
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2020 Business & Management Studies: An International Journal
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
The goal of this study is to obtain new gains that would provide benefits to businesses from customer complaints that customers offer voluntarily and free of charge. In line with this purpose, in this study, 25,390 online customer complaints concerning banks operating in the retail banking sector in Turkey were analysed by data mining method. By using the clustering method in data mining analysis, complaints were grouped, familiar words, similar or the words used together of the complaints were identified.
As a result of the analysis done, the most frequently mentioned banks among customer complaints and the subjects that customers complained about most were determined. It was revealed that the subjects that the bank customers complain about most within the relevant periods were “branch, credit card fee, cancellation, customer service, subscription fee”. Also, the result emerged that bank customers used the words “unfair” and “victimisation” when expressing their dissatisfaction.
- Alabay, MN (2012). Musteri Sikayetleri Yonetimi (Customer Complaint Management), Int. Journal of Management Economics and Business, Vol. 8, No. 16, p. 137-158.
- Argan, Mehpare T. (2014). E-Şikayetle İlgili Tanımlayıcı Bir Çalışma (Descriptive Study of E-complaining: Social Network Analysis on a Website as Complaint Forum), Journal of Internet Applications and Management, Vol. 5, No. 1, pp. 49-66.
- Au N., Law R., Buhalis D. (2010). The Impact of Culture on e-Complaints: Evidence from Chinese Consumers in Hospitality Organisations. In: Gretzel U., Law R., Fuchs M. (eds) Information and Communication Technologies in Tourism 2010. Springer, Vienna. doi: 10.1007/978-3-211-99407-8_24
- Aytekin, C. and Mayda, I. (2013), Sosyal medyada rekabet analizi icin karsilastirma gorevine yonelik fikir madenciligi modeli (Competitive analysis on social media comparison task oriented: Opinion Mining Model). Journal Academic Marketing Mysticisn Online, Vol. 7, No. 27, pp. 414-425.
- Balaji, M.S., Jha, Subhash and Royne, Marla B. (2015). Customer E-Complaining Behaviours Using Social Media, The Service Industries Journal, Vol. 35, pp. 633-654.
- Barlow, J. and Moller, C. (1996). A Complaint is a Gift Using Customer Feedback as a Strategic Tool. Berrett- San Francisco, CA: Koehler Publishers.
- Beerli, A., Martin, J.D. and Quintana, A. (2004). A Model of Customer Loyalty in the Retail Banking Market, European Journal of Marketing, Vol. 38, No. ½, pp. 253-275.
- Bickart, B. and Schindler, R.M. (2001). Internet Forums as Influential Sources of Consumer Information, Journal of Interactive Marketing, Vol. 15, No. 3, pp. 31-40.
- Boros, M. (2011). Cluster Analysis Methodology and Statistics, University of Groningen, Accessed address: http://www.let.rug.nl/nerbonne/teach/rema-stats-meth-seminar/presentations/Boros-Clustering-2011-May-24.pdf.
- BRSA 2006 Reports, (2006). Bank Credit Cards Law, (Publication No. 9703). Accessed address: https://www.bddk.org.tr/WebSitesi/turkce/Mevzuat/Banka_Kartlari_Kredi_Kartlari_Kanunu/Banka_Kartlari_Kredi_Kartlari_Kanunu.aspx, (accessed December 22, 2019).
- BRSA 2020 Reports, Key Indicators Reports, Accessed address: https://www.bddk.org.tr/Veriler/TBS-Temel-Gostergeler-Raporu/14. (accessed, November 5, 2020).
- Butelli, S. (2007). Consumer Complaint Behavior: A Literature Review, Northumbria University.
- Capital Banking News (2016). E-Bank Leaders. Accessed address: http://www.capital.com.tr/ images/Haberler/djt1.jpg and http://www.capital.com.tr/sektorler/teknoloji/e-banka-liderleri-haberdetay-10129, (accessed December 28, 2019).
- Campbell, C. (2020). How TikTok Found Itself in the Middle of a US - China Tech War -, Time, Accessed address: https://time.com/5876610/tiktok-china-tech-war/, (accessed July 12, 2020).
- Complaint İndex Report 2013-2014, Marketing Türkiye, July 2014, Accessed: https://www.sikayetvar.com/images/basin/1391601138.jpg, (accessed July 12, 2016).
- Doffman, Z. (2020). Confirmed- Huawei Smartphone Users Have Serious New Update Problem, Forbes, Accessed address: https://www.forbes.com/sites/zakdoffman/2020/08/15/confirmedhuawei-smartphone-users-have-a-serious-new-problem/?sh=67396e112881, (accessed July 12, 2020).
- Coussement, K. and Poel, D.V.D. (2007). Improving Customer Complaint Management by Automatic E-mail Classification Using Linguistic Style Features as Predcitors, Decision Support Systems, Vol. 44, No. 4, Mart 2008, pp. 870-882.
- Eser, Z., Pınar, M. and Girard, T. (2016). Importance of Customer Complaints: A study of Banking Industry Utilising the Services Marketing and Branding Triangle Framework, Journal of Theory and Practice in Marketing. Vol. 2, No. 2, pp. 23-49.
- Estorilio, C. and Posso, RK (2010). The Reduction of Irregularities in the Use of Process FMEA, International Journal of Quality & Reliability Management. Vol. 27, pp. 721-733.
- First Customer Complaint, http://www.openculture.com/2015/03/the-first-recorded-customer-service-complaint-from-1750-b-c.html, (accessed: August 28, 2020).
- Galitsky, B. (2006). Reasoning About Attitudes of Complaining Customers, Knowledge-Based Systems, Vol. 19, pp. 592-615.
- Goetzinger, L., Park, J.K. and Widdows, R. (2006). E-Customers’ Third Party Complaining and Complimenting Behaviour, International Journal of Service Industry Management, Vol. 17, No. 2, pp. 193–206.
- Goodman, J. (1999). Basic Facts on Costumer Complaint Behaviour and The Impact of Service on The Bottom Line, Competitive Advantage, pp. 1-5.
- Grainer, M., Noble, C.H., Bitner, M.J. and Broetzmann, S.M. (2014). What Unhappy Customers Want, MIT Sloan Management Review, Vol. 55, No. 3, pp. 31-35.
- Han, H.J., Mankad, S., Gavirneni, N. and Verma, R. (2016). What Guests Really Think of Your Hotel: Text Analytics of Online Customer Reviews, Cornell Hospitality Report, Vol. 16, No. 2, p. 3-17.
- Hong, J. and Lee, W. (2005). Consumer Complaint Behaviour in the Online Environment, Web Systems Design and Online Consumer Behaviour, New Jersey 2005, pp. 90-105.
- Hotho, A., Nurnberger, A., Paaß, G. (2005). A Brief Survey of Text Mining, GLDV Journal for Computational Linguistics and Language Technology, pp. 16-17.
- ISO 10002: Quality Management-Customer Satisfaction Certification, accessed address: http://cisam.cu.edu.tr/Tr/Belgeler/10-ISO%2010002.pdf, (accessed February 18, 2016).
- Kalb, 2011, http://www.cbsnews.com/news/how-customer-complaints-can-improve-business/, (accessed December 20, 2019).
- Kapucugil İkiz, A., Özdağoğlu, G. (2015). Text Mining as a Supporting Process for Voc Clarification, Alphanumeric Journal, Vol. 3, No. 1, pp. 25-40.
- Mattila, A.S. and Mount, D.J. (2003). The Impact of Selected Customer Characteristics and Response Time on E-Complaint Satisfaction and Return Intent, International Journal of Hospitality Management, Vol. 22, No. 2, pp. 135-145.
- Memarzadeh, F. and Chang, H.J. (2015). Online Consumer Complaints about Southeast Asian Luxury Hotels, Journal of Hospitality Marketing & Management, Vol. 24, pp. 76-98.
- Ministry of Development, (2014), 10. Development Plan: Financial Services Report. Accessed address: https://www.sbb.gov.tr/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/10_FinansalHizmetler.pdf (accessed: December 6, 2020).
- Mohamed, W.M.H. (2016). Corporate Governance Practices of The Middle East Banking Sector: A Comparative Analysis Between Islamic and Conventional Banks, Journal of Finance, Vol. 4, No. 1, p. 99-111.
- Nazari, E., Sarafraz, A. and Amini, S.N. (2016). The Effect of Key Factors of Knowledge Management Success on Improving Customer Relationship Management (Case Study: Financial and Credit Institutions of Parsabad), International Journal of Humanities and Cultural Studies (IJHCS) ISSN 2356-5926, pp. 915-923.
- Özaslan, Y. and Meydan Ugur, S. (2014). Negatif Agizdan Agiza Iletisim (Wom) Ve Elektronik Agizdan Agiza Iletisim (E-Wom): Yiyecek-Icecek Isletmelerine Yonelik Bir Arastirma (Negative Word of Mouth Communication(Wom) and Electronic Word of Mouth Communication (E-Wom): A Research of Food and Beverage Business), Journal of Ataturk University Economics and Admininstrative Sciences, Vol. 28, No. 33, pp. 69-88.
- Özdağoğlu, A., Özdağoğlu, G. and Oz, E. (2008). Musteri Sadakatinin Saglanmasinda Musteri Iliskileri Yonetiminin Onemi: Izmir'de bir Hipermarket Arastirmasi (The Importance of Customer Relationship Management in Providing Customers' Loyalty: a Hypermarket Research in Izmir)", Journal of Ataturk University Economics and Administrative Sciences, Vol. 22, No.1, pp. 367-383.
- Özgül, P. (2007). Musteri Memnuniyeti ve Musteri Sikayetleri Uzerine bir Alan Arastirmasi (A Field Research on Customer Satisfaction and Customer Complaints), Kahramanmaras Sutcu Imam University, Social Science Institute, Business Administrator, Master Thesis, Kahramanmaras.
- Özkaynar, K. (2010). Turkiye’de Sanal Sikayet Uygulamalarinin Algilanmasina Yonelik bir Arastirma: sikayetvar.com ornegi (A Research on Issue of Turkey Perceived Complaints of Virtual Applications), Sakarya Universitesi, Sosyal Bilimler Enstitusu, Unpublished Master Thesis, Sakarya.
- Pala, E. and Kartal, B. (2010). Banka Musterilerinin Internet Bankaciligi ile ilgili Tutumlarına Yonelik bir Pilot Arastırma (An Empirical Study of the Attitudes of Turkish Bank Customers Regarding Internet Banking), Journal of Management and Economic, Vol. 17, No. 2, pp. 43-61.
- Park, C. (2005). Complaints of Asian Shoppers Toward Global Retailer: A Content Analysis of E-Complaining to Carrefour Korea, Asia Pacific Journal of Marketing and Logistics, Vol. 17, pp. 25-39.
- Rogers, R. (2014), Foreword: Debanalising Twitter: The Transformation of an Object of Study, In Weller,K., Bruns, A., Burgess, J., Mahrt, M., Puschmann, C. (Eds.). Twitter and Society. ix-xxvi, Digital Formations, 89, New York: Peter Lang.
- Sarıman, G. (2011). Veri Madenciliginde Kumeleme Teknikleri Uzerine Bir Calisma: K-means ve K-medoids Kumeleme Algoritmalarinin Karsilastirilmasi (A Study of Clustering Techniques in Data Mining: Comparison of The KMeans and K-Medoids Clustering Algorithms), Journal of Suleyman Demirel University Sciences Institute, Vol. 15, No. 3, pp. 192-202.
- Sarno, D. (2009). Twitter Creator Jack Dorsey Illuminates the Site’s Founding Document, Part I, Los Angeles Times, 2009a, Accessed Address: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/technology/2009/02/twitter-creator.html.
- Sezgin, K.E., Efilti, S., Kalıpci, B.M. and Algur, S. (2012). A Content Analysis about E-complaints of the Hospitality Enterprises in Manavgat Regions, Journal of Cukurova University, Vol. 16, No. 2, pp. 111-118.
- Sharms, G., Rehman, M.A., Samad S. and Rather, R.A. (2020). The Impact of the magnitude of Service Failure and Complaint Handling on Satisfaction and Brand Credibility in the Banking Industry, Journal of Financial Services Marketing, Vol. 25, pp. 25-34.
- Sparks, BA, So, K., Bradly, K.F. and Graham L. (2016). Responding to Negative Online Reviews: The Effects of Hotel Responses on Customer Inferences of Trust and Concern, Tourism Management, Vol. 53, pp. 74-85.
- Spence, P.R., Lachlan, K.A., Edwards, A. and Edwards, C. (2016). Tweeting Fast Matters, but only If I Think about It: Information Updates on Social Media, Communication Quarterly, Vol. 64, No. 1, p. 55-71.
- Sütçü, C.S and Aytekin, C. (2018). Veri Bilimi. Ankara: Paloma Yayınevi.
- Şiker, P. (2012). An Exploratory Research on Consumer Adoption of Internet Banking, Journal of Internet Applications and Management, Vol. 2, No. 2, pp. 35-50.
- Turkey Banking Association Reports, (2020). Bank Branch Information https://www.tbb.org.tr/modules/banka-bilgileri/banka_sube_bilgileri.asp and https://verisistemi.tbb.org.tr/index.php?/tbb/dashboard/YgLMjWsB885QQzOMlag7, (accessed May 27, 2020).
- TESK, Ahilik in 50 Question, 2005, http://www.tesk.org.tr/tr/yayin/124.pdf, (accessed February 20, 2016).
- Tripp, T.M. and Grégoire, Y. (2011). When Unhappy Customers Strike Back on The Internet, MIT Sloan Management Review, V. 52, No. 3, pp. 37-44.
- Tyrell, B. and Woods, R. (2004). E-complaints: Lessons to Be Learned from the Service Recovery Literature, Journal of Travel & Tourism Marketing, Vol. 17, No. 2-3, pp. 89, 183-190.
- Ülgen, H. and Mirze, S.K. (2013). İsletmelerde Stratejik Yonetim (Strategic management in Business). 6.Edition. İstanbul: Beta Yayınları.
- Varadarajan, R. (2020). Customer Information Resources Advantage, Marketing Strategy and Business Performance: A Market Resources Based View, Industrial Marketing Management, Vol. 89, pp. 89-97.
- Wang, Y., Lewis, M., Cryder, C. and Sprigg, J. (2016). Enduring Effects of Goal Achievement and Failure within Customer Loyalty Programs: A Large-scale Field Experiment, Marketing Science, Vol. 35, No. 4, pp. 565-575.
- Winch, G. (2011). The Squeaky Wheel: Complaining the Right Way to Get Results, Improve Your Relationships, and Enhance Self-Esteem, Bloomsbury, USA.
- Yıldırım Güngör, G. (2012). Bankalarin Kurumsal Kredi Potfoyu ve Kredi Riskinin Olcumu (Banks' Corporate Credit Portfolio and Measurement of Credit Risk), TCMB Bankacilik Finansal Kuruluslar Genel Mudurlugu Uzmanlik Yeterlilik Tezi (TCMB General Directorate of Banking Financial Institutions Specialization Qualification Thesis), Ankara.