Smart practices in retail: A systematic literature review
- Perakendecilik, Akıllı Perakendecilik, Akıllı Teknolojiler, Sistematik Literatür Taraması
- Retailing, Smart Retailing, Smart Technologies, Systematic Literature Review
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2022 Zahide Kübra KOÇAK- Kumru UYAR
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Smart retailing, which focuses on increasing the quality of consumers' shopping experience, is a system that combines physical and digital dimensions of retailing. In recent years, intelligent technologies that have emerged with continuous developments in information and communication technologies have also affected the retailing field. This article presents a systematic literature review in the field of smart retailing. The articles published in the last ten years on the subject have been examined, and the articles focused on the definitions of smart retailing and the main topics studied. According to the results obtained from 39 articles analyzed in detail, there are a limited number of smart retailing definitions, and the articles mainly focus on smart retail technologies.
- Atzori, L., Iera, A., Morabito, G. (2010). The internet of things: a survey. Computer Networks. 54 (15), 2787–2805. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.comnet.2010.05.010
- Bezes, C. (2019). What kind of in-store smart retailing for an omnichannel real-life experience?. Recherche et Applications en Marketing, 34(1), 91–112.
- Bourg, L., Chatzidimitris, T., Chatzigiannakis, I., Galavas, D., Giannakopoulou, K., Kasapakiz, V., Konstantopoulos, C., Kypriadis, D., Pantziou, G. ve Zaroliagis, C. (2020). Enhancing shopping experiences in smart retailing. Journal of Ambient Intelligence and Humanized Computing, https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s12652-020-02774-6.
- Burns, N. ve Grove, S. K. (2007). Understanding nursing research: Building an evidence-based practice (4. Baskı). China: Saunders.
- Centre for Reviews and Dissemination. (2008). Systematic reviews: CRD's guidance for undertaking reviews in health care. Üniversity of York: York Publishing Services Ltd, ISBN 978-1-900640-47-3.
- Chang, Y.W. ve Chen, J. (2021). What motivates customers to shop in smart shops? The impacts of smart technology and technology readiness. Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, 58, 1-11.
- Chen, S.C. ve Shang, S. (2021). Sustaining user experience in a smart system in the retail ındustry, Sustainability, 13 (5090), 1-14.
- Fun, X., Ning, N. ve Deng, N. (2020). The impact of the quality of intelligent experience on smart retail engagement. Marketing Intelligence & Planning, 38(7), 877-891.
- Gaur SS, Herjanto H ve Bathula H. (2012). Does buyer–seller similarity affect buyer satisfaction with the seller firm? The International Review of Retail, Distribution and Consumer Research, 22(3), 315-335.
- Dacko, S.G. (2017). Enabling smart retail settings via mobile augmented reality shopping apps. Technological Forecasting & Social Change 124, 243–256.
- Foroudi, P., Gupta, S., Sivarajah, U. Ve Broderick, A. (2018). Investigating the effects of smart technology on customer Dynamics and customer experience. Computers in Human Behavior, 80, 271-282.
- Gaur, L., Singh, G. ve Ramakrishnan, R. (2017). Understanding consumer preferences using ıot smartmirrors. Scıence & Technology, 25(3), 939 – 948.
- Garaus, M., Wolfsteiner, E. ve Wagner, U. (2016). Shoppers' acceptance and perceptions of electronic shelf labels. Journal of Business Research, 69 (9), 3687–3692.
- Giffinger, R., Fertner, C., Kramar, H., Kalasek, R., Pichler-Milanovic, N., Meijers, E. (2007). Smart Cities Ranking of European Medium-Sized Cities, Final Report. Centre of Regional Science, Vienna UT.
- Gregory, J. (2022, Ocak15). The Internet of Things: Revolutionizing the Retail Industry. Erişim adresi https://www.conexxus.org/sites/default/files/book_files/Accenture-The-Internet-Of-Things.pdf
- Grewal, D., Roggeveen, A., ve Runyan, R. C. (2013). Retailing in a connected world. Journal of Marketing Management, 29(3-4), 263-270.
- Harrison, C., Eckman, B., Hamilton, R., Hartswick, P., Kalagnanam, J., Paraszczak, J., Williams, P. (2010). Foundations for smarter cities. IBM Journal of Research and Development, 54(4), 1–16. http://dx.doi.org/10.1147/JRD.2010.2048257.
- Hasan, S.M.F., Amrollahi, A., Mortimer, G., Adapa, S. ve Balaji, M.S. (2021). A multi-method approach to examining consumer intentions to use smart retail technology. Computers in Human Behavior, 117, 1-11.
- Hemingway, P., & Brereton, N. (2022, Ocak 12). What is a systematic review? Erişim adresi http://www.whatisseries.co.uk/whatis/
- Higgins, J. P. T., ve Green, S. (Eds). (2022, Ocak). Cochrane Handbook for Systematic Reviews of Interventions. Version 5.1.0. Erişim adresi https://handbook-5-1.cochrane.org/
- Holdack, E., Lurie-Stoyanov, K., ve Fromme, H.F. (2022). The role of perceived enjoyment and perceived informativeness in assessing the acceptance of AR wearables. Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, 65, 1-11.
- Inman, J.J. ve Nikolova, H. (2017). Shopper-facing retail technology: A retailer adoption decision framework incorporating shopper attitudes and privacy concerns, Journal of Retail. 93, 7–28.
- Karaömerlioğlu, D. ve Özeltürkay, E. (2018). Teknoloji çocuklarının akıllı perakendecilik uygulamalarına ilişkin deneyim ve beklentilerini belirlemeye yönelik keşifsel bir çalışma, Gençlik Araştırmaları Dergisi, 6(15), 135-158.
- Kitchenham, B. (2007). Guidelines for performing systematic literature reviews in software engineering (2. Baskı). EBSE: Goyang-si, South Korea.
- Kim, H.Y., Lee, J.Y., Mun, J.M. ve Johnson, K.K. (2017). Consumer adoption of smart in-store technology: assessing the predictive value of attitude versus beliefs in the technology acceptance model, International Journal of Fashion Design, Technology and Education, 10(1), 26-36.
- Kim, Y. (2021). Revitalization of offline fashion stores: exploring strategies to ımprove the smart retailing experience by applying mobile technology. Sustainability, 13(3434), 1-16.
- Li, S., Da Xu, L. ve Zhao, S. The internet of things: a survey. Information Systems Frontiers, 17 (2), 243–259. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10796-014-9492-7.
- Lin, C.Y: (2021). Understanding consumer perceptions and attitudes toward smart retail services. Journal of Services Marketing, https://www.emerald.com/insight/0887-6045.htm, DOI 10.1108/JSM-09-2020-0407.
- Moula, P., ve Goodman M. (2009). Nursing research. London: SAGE Publication Ltd.
- Ng, S., Ho, J.A., Lim, X.J, Chong, K.L., ve Latiff, K. (2019). Mirror, mirror on the wall, are we ready for Gen-Z in marketplace? A study of smart retailing technology in Malaysia. Young Consumers, 22 (1) 68-89.
- Nikhashemi, S.R., Knight, H.H., Nusair, K. ve Liat, C.B. (2021). Augmented reality in smart retailing: A (n) (A) Symmetric Approach to continuous intention to use retail brands' mobile AR apps. Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, 60, 1-21.
- Ogunjimi, A., Rahman, M., Islam, N. ve Hasan, R. (2021). Smart mirror fashion technology for the retail chain transformation. Technological Forecasting & Social Change , 173, 1-14.
- Ostrom, A.L., Parasuraman, A., Bowen, D.E., Patrício, L., Voss, C.A. ve Lemon, K. (2015). Service research priorities in a rapidly changing context. Journal of Service Research, 18 (2), 127–159.
- Pantano, E. (2010). New technologies and retailing: Trends and directions. Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, 17(3), 171-172.
- Pantano, E. (2014). Innovation drivers in retail industry. International Journal of Information Management 34, 344–350.
- Pantano, E. ve Dennis, C. (2019). Smart Retailing. Switzerland: Palgrave Pivot.
- Pantano, E., ve Migliarese, P. (2014). Exploiting consumereemployeeeretailer interactions in technology-enriched retail environments through a relational lens. Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, 21(6), 958-965.
- Pantano, E., Passavanti, R., Priporas, C.V. ve Verteramo, S. (2018). To what extent luxury retailing can be smart?. Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services 43, 94–100.
- Pantano, E., ve Priporas, C.V. (2016). The effect of mobile retailing on consumers' purchasing experiences: A dynamic perspective. Computers in Human Behavior, 61, 548-555.
- Pantano, E., Priporas, C.V. ve Dennis, C. (2017). A new approach to retailing for successful competition in the new smart scenario. International Journal of Retail & Distribution Management, 46(3), 264-282.
- Pantano, E., Reseb, A. ve Baier, D. (2017a). Enhancing the online decision-making process by using augmented reality: A two country comparison of youth markets. Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, 38 ,81–95.
- Pantano, E. ve Servidio, R. (2012). Modeling innovative points of sales through virtual and immersive technologies. Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services. 19 (3), 279–286.
- Pantano, E., ve Timmermans, H. (2014). What is smart for retailing?, Procedia Environmental Sciences, 22, 101-107.
- Pantano, E., ve Viassone, M. (2015). Engaging consumers on new integrated multichannel retail settings: Challenges for retailers. Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, 25, 106-114.
- Paydar, S., Endut, I.R., Yahya, S ve Rahman, S.H.A. (2014). Environmental factors ınfluencing the ıntention to adopt rfıd technology in retail ındustry: an empirical study. Asia-Pacific Journal of Management Research and Innovation, 10(1), 13–26.
- Perumal, S., Qing, Y.R. ve Jaganathan, M. (2020). Factors influencing attitudes and intentions towards smart retail technology. International Journal of Data and Network Science, 6, 595–602.
- Pizzi, G. Ve Scarpi, D. (2020). Privacy threats with retail technologies: A consumer perspective. Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, 56, 1-11.
- Priporas, C., Stylos, N. ve Fotiadis, A. (2017). Generation Z consumers' expectations of interactions in smart retailing: A future agenda. Computers in Human Behavior 77, 374-381.
- Porter, M.E. ve Heppelmann, J.E. (2014). How smart, connected products are transforming competition. Harvard Business Review, 92(11), 11–64.
- Rese, A., Schreiber, S. ve Baier, D. (2014). Technology acceptance modeling of augmented reality at th point of sale: Can surveys be replaced by an analysis of online reviews? Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services. 21 (5), 869–876.
- Riegger, A.S., Klein, J., Merfeld, K. ve Henkel, S. (2021). Technology-enabled personalization in retail stores: Understanding drivers and barriers. Journal of Business Research, 123, 140–155.
- Roy, S. K., Balaji, M. S., Sadeque, S., Nguyen, B., ve Melewar, T. C. (2017). Constituents and consequences of smart customer experience in retailing. Technological Forecasting and Social Change, 124, 257-270.
- Roy, S.K., Balaji, M.S., Quazi, A. ve Quaddus, M. (2018). Predictors of customer acceptance of and resistance to smart technologies in the retail sector. Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, 42, 147–160.
- Roy, S.K., Balaji, MS ve Nguyen, B. (2020). Consumer-computer interaction and in-store smart technology (IST) in the retail industry: the role of motivation, opportunity, and ability. Journal Of Marketıng Management, 36(3–4), 299–333.
- Roy, S.K., Singh, G. ve Shabnam, S. (2021). Modelling Customer Engagement Behaviour in Smart Retailing. Australasian Journal of Information Systems, 25, 1-30. doi: https://doi.org/10.3127/ajis.v25i0.2967
- Sander, S., Willems, K. ve Brengman, K. (2019). In-store location-based marketing with beacons: from inflated expectations to smart use in retailing. Journal of Marketing Management, 35, (15-16), 1514-1541.
- Shankar, V., Kalyanam, K., Setia, P., Golmohamadi, A., Tirunillai, S., Douglass, T., Hennessey, J., Bull, J.S. ve Waddoups, R. (2021). How technology is changing retail. Journal of Retailing, 97(1),13–27.
- Sun, Y., Xue, W., Bandyopadhyay, S. ve Cheng, D. (2021). WeChat mobile-payment-based smart retail customer experience: an integrated framework. Information Technology and Management, https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10799-021-00346-4
- Vazquez, D., Dennis, C. ve Zhang, Y. (2017). Understanding the effect of smart retail brand e Consumer communications via mobile instant messaging (MIM) e An empirical study in the Chinese context. Computers in Human Behavior, 77, 425-436.
- Vrontis, D., Thrassou, A., ve Amirkhanpour, M. (2017). B2C smart retailing: A consumer-focused value-based analysis of interactions and synergies. Technological Forecasting and Social Change. 124, 271-282. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.techfore.2016.10.064.
- Willems, K., Smolders, A., Brengman, M., Luyten, K., ve Schöning, J. (2017). The path-to-purchase is paved with digital opportunities: An inventory of shopper-oriented retail Technologies. Technological Forecasting & Social Change 124, 228–242.
- Yadav, M. S., ve Pavlou, P. A. (2014). Marketing in computer-mediated environments: Research synthesis and new directions. Journal of Marketing, 78(1), 20-40.
- Yang J. (2013). Harnessing value in knowledge management for performance in buyer–supplier collaboration. International Journal of Production Research, 51(7), 1984-1991.