COST ANALYSIS OF CORONARY INTERVENTIONS: TRANSRADIAL OR TRANSFEMORAL?
How to Cite
GÖKMEN KAVAK, D., AĞIRBAŞ, İsmail, BALBAY, Y., & AVCI, K. (2017). COST ANALYSIS OF CORONARY INTERVENTIONS: TRANSRADIAL OR TRANSFEMORAL?. Business & Management Studies: An International Journal, 5(3), 640–653. https://doi.org/10.15295/bmij.v5i3.148
AbstractThe purpose of this research is to conduct cost minimisation analysis of coronary angiography interventions with Transradial (TRA) and Transfemoral (TFA) approach. Thus, operators will be guided in relation with intervention selection and cardiovascular area on the subject matter will be enriched which is quite inadequate with a cost analysis sample. The research has been conducted by evaluating and examining of data of the patients who had coronary angiography. Population of the research consists of angiography interventions in the scope of the research carried out within the year of 2013 in a Cardiology Clinic of a tertiary hospital. Patient records were randomly selected. At the end of the research, the findings have revealed that the costs of TRA and TFA have been respectively Turkish Liras (TRY)746,214 and TRY 710,040. The cost of TRA approach is higher than TFA approach. On the other hand, experts’ opinion is that TRA approach is a more reliable alternative compared to TFA approach. In the selection process of the approach to be used by the operators, it would be beneficial for the patients when both the cost and results of the intervention are considered simultaneously.
Download data is not yet available.
- Agostoni, P., Biondi-Zoccai, G.G., De Benedictis, M.l., Rigattieri S, Turri, M., Anselmi, M., (2004). Radial versus femoral approach for percutaneous coronary diagnostic and interventional procedures; Systematic overview and meta-analysis of randomized trials. Journal of the American College of Cardiology 44:349-356.
- Ağırbaş, İ. (2014). Financial Management and Cost Analysis in Health Institutions. Siyasal Press, Ankara
- Aktürk, E., Kurtoğlu, E., Ermiş, N., Açıkgöz, N., Yağmur, J., Altuntaş, M.S., Pekdemir, H., Özdemir, R. (2014). Comparision of pain levels of transradial versus transfemoral coronary catheterization: a prospective and randomize dstudy. Anadolu Kardiyoloji Dergisi 2014; 14: 140-6
- Bertrand, O.F., Rao, S.V., Panchol,Y.S., Jolly, S.S., Rodés-Cabau, J., Larose, E., (2010). Trans radial approach for coronary angiography and interventions: results of the first international transradial practice survey. JACC Cardiovasc Interv 3:1022-1031.
- Brasselet, C., Blanpain, T., Tassan-Mangina, S., Deschildre, A., Duval, S., Vitry, F., Gaillot-Petit, N., Clément, J.P., Metz, D. (2008). Comparison of operatör radiation exposure with optimized radiation protection devices during coronary angiograms and ad hoc percutaneous coronary interventions by radial and femoral routes. European Heart Journal 29:63-70.
- Caputo, R.P., Tremmel, J.A., Rao, S., Gilchrist, I.C., Pyne, C., Pancholy, S. (2011). Transradial arterial Access for coronary and peripheral procedures: executive summary by the Transradial Committee of the SCAI. Catheterization and Cardiovascular Interventions.78:823-839.
- Çelik, Y. (2013) Health Economy. Siyasal Press, Ankara
- Kiemeneij, F., Laarman, G.J. (1993). Percutaneous transradial artery approach for coronary stent implantation. Catheterization and Cardiovascular Diagnosis Journal 30:173-8.
- Louvard, Y., Lefevre, T., Morice, M.C. (1997). Radial approach: what about the learning curve? Catheterization and Cardiovascular Diagnosis Journal 42: 467-468.
- Noto, T.J., Johnson, L.W., Krone, R., Weaver, W.F., Clark, D.A., Kramer, J.R., Verrovec, G.W., Parker, J.J. (1991). Cardiac catheterization 1990: a report of the Registry of the Society for Cardiac Angiography and Interventions. Catheterization and Cardiovascular Diagnosis Journal; 24:75-83.
- Tatar, M. (2013). Health Economy. Sur, H., Palteki, T., Hospital Management. İstanbul: Nobel Tıp Bookstore; 337-54.
- TKD (Turkish Cardiology Association) (2005). Guide for capability in interventional cardiology, 33
- Erişim Yeri: [http://www.tyih.gov.tr/]. Erişim tarihi: 15.05.2016
- Ünal, S., Acar, B., Yayla, Ç., Balcı, M.M., Ertem, A.G., Kara, M., Maden, O., Temizhan, A., Tola, M., Balbay, Y. (2016). Manual Heating of Radial Artery to Facilitate Radial Puncture Prior to Transradial Coronary Catheterization: A Randomized, Double-Blind Clinical Trial. The BALBAY MANEUVER Study. The American Journal of Cardiology, 10-3
- Yiğit, F., Sezgin, A.T., Erol, T., Demircan, F., Tekin, G., Katırcıbaşı, T., Tekin, A., Müderrisoğlu, H. (2006). An experience on radial versus femoral approach for diagnostic coronary angiography in Turkey. Anadolu Kardiyoloji Dergisi 6; 229-34