A new mindset for the independent audit during the times of pandemic crisis
- Bağımsız Denetim,
- Bağımsız Denetim Standartları (BDS)
- Independent Audit,
- International Standard on Auditing (ISA)
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2021 Seval Kardeş Selimoğlu- Gül Yeşilçelebi- Mehtap Altunel
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
The COVID-19 outbreak that occurred in Wuhan, China, in December 2019 caused changes in many areas. Although remote audit has been a topic that both academicians and practitioners have spoken about in recent years, many application alternatives are also offered regarding this issue. Although some of these alternatives have been put into practice, discussions continue about some of them. With the implementation of the remote (from home) working strategy during the COVID-19 pandemic period, it has become necessary to implement remote audit and make the necessary arrangements quickly. In this process, independent auditing standards must continue to be fit for purpose in the context of the COVID-19 pandemic and that audit quality is maintained to the extent before the outbreak in the current uncertain environment. The purpose of this study is to create a perspective on which issues should be considered in the audit process within the scope of independent audit during the COVID-19 pandemic, in which direction arrangements are made within the framework of technological opportunities and independent auditing standards. This study is a review article, and in line with the purpose of the study, it was created by scanning the relevant literature. As a result of the study, it was found that arrangements were made within the scope of ISA 315-330-540-560-570-600-700-720 during the COVID-19 pandemic. In addition, technology has been found to help in the fields such as evidence collecting, counting, conducting interviews, and various applications. At this point, auditors should pay attention to new risks that may arise from using technology.
- ACCA (2020). The impact of Covid-19 on audit and assurance – challenges and considerations.
- Adana, B. A., Özbirecikli, M. (2020). Bağımsız denetim sürecinin COVID-19 salgınının etkileri açısından değerlendirilmesi. İşletme Araştırmaları Dergisi, 12 (2), 2080-2093.
- Albitar, K., Gerged, A. M., Kikhia, H., ve Hussainey, K. (2020). Auditing in times of social distancing: The effect of COVID-19 on auditing quality. International Journal of Accounting and Information Management, In Press.
- Appelbaum, D., Budnik, S., Vasarhelyi, M. (2020). Auditing and accounting during and after the COVID-19 crisis, The CPA Journal, 14-19. Erişim adresi https://www.cpajournal.com/2020/07/08/auditing-and-accounting-during-and-after-the-covid-19-crisis/ (Erişim Tarihi: 5.12.2020)
- Arnold, C. (2020). Summary of Covid-19 audit considerations. Erişim adresi https://www.ifac.org/knowledge-gateway/supporting-international-standards/discussion/summary-covid-19-audit-considerations (Erişim Tarihi: 10.12.2020).
- Atılgan, Ç. (2020). Covid-19’un finansal raporlama ve denetim üzerindeki muhtemel etkileri. Erişim adresi https://assets.kpmg/content/dam/kpmg/tr/pdf/2020/07/covid-19-gundemi.pdf (Erişim Tarihi: 10.12.2020).
- Baskan, T. D. (2020). Analyzing the going concern uncertainty during the period of Covid-19 pandemic in terms of independent auditor's reports. Ispec International Journal of Social Sciences & Humanities, 4 (2), 28-42.
- Bircan, N. G. (2020). Belirsizlik ve kriz durumlarında çevik denetim anlayışı ve denetim mesleği üzerine etkileri: Covid-19 vakası üzerine bir değerlendirme. Mali Çözüm Dergisi, 30 (161), 245-258.
- IAASB (2020a). Highlighting areas of focus in an evolving audit environment due to the impact of COVID-19. Erişim adresi https://www.ifac.org/system/files/uploads/IAASB/Staff%20Alert%20-%20Audit%20Considerations%20Arising%20from%20Changes%20Due%20to%20Coronavirus.pdf (Erişim Tarihi: 15.11.2020).
- IAASB (2020b). Going concern in the current evolving environment – audit considerations for the impact of COVID-19. Erişim adresi https://www.ifac.org/system/files/publications/files/IAASB-Staff-Alert-Going-Concern-April-2020.pdf (Erişim Tarihi: 16.11.2020).
- IAASB (2020c). Auditing accounting estimates in the current evolving environment due to COVID-19. Erişim adresi https://www.ifac.org/system/files/publications/files/Staff-Alert-Auditing-Accounting-Estimates-final.pdf (Erişim Tarihi: 17.12.2020)
- IFAC (2020a). Webinar 1: Planning the audit in the pandemic environment summary of key takeaways. Erişim adresi https://www.ifac.org/system/files/publications/files/IFAC-Webinar-1_Audit-Planning_Summary-of-Key-Takeaways_Final_0.pdf (Erişim Tarihi: 12.12.2020)
- IFAC (2020b). Webinar 2: Performing the audit in the pandemic environment summary of key takeaways. Erişim adresi https://www.ifac.org/system/files/publications/files/Webinar-2_Audit-Execution-Summary_FINAL.pdf (Erişim Tarihi: 12.12.2020)
- İSMMMO (2020). Koronavirüsün (COVID-19) finansal tablolar ve bağımsız denetim çalışmaları üzerine muhtemel etkileri. Erişim adresi https://archive.ismmmo.org.tr/YAYINLAR/e_kitap/31032020_bulten.pdf (Erişim Tarihi: 11.12.2020)
- Karakaya, G. (2020). Covid-19 gündeminde işletme sürekliliği ve bağımsız denetim ilişkisi. İstanbul Ticaret Üniversitesi Sosyal Bilimler Dergisi, 19 (37), 14-29.
- KGK (2021). COVID-19 salgınının yürütülen bağımsız denetimlere etkisi. Erişim adresi https://www.kgk.gov.tr/ContentAssignmentDetail/4657/COVID-19-Salg%C4%B1n%C4%B1n%C4%B1n-Yu%CC%88ru%CC%88tu%CC%88len-Bag%CC%86%C4%B1ms%C4%B1z-Denetimlere-Etkisi (Erişim Tarihi: 22.03.2021)
- Köse, T. ve Ağdeniz, Ş. (2020). Covid-19 salgınının BDS 570 işletmenin sürekliliği standardının uygulama sürecine etkileri. Mali Çözüm Dergisi, 30 (161), 69-94.
- Patwa H. (2020). Auditing in Covid-19-Global pandemic. Erişim adresi https://www.wirc-icai.org/student/downloads-materials/auditing-in-covid-19, (Erişim Tarihi: 22.03.2021)