The effect of the COVID-19 on sharing economy: survival analysis of Airbnb listings
- Sağkalım Analizi
- Survival Analysis,
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2021
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
This research investigates the survival probability of listings in the Airbnb platform during the COVID-19 period between January-October 2020 in Istanbul. In line with the research aim, Cox's Proportional Hazard Model is adopted to conduct survival analysis, where the physical and spatial attributes of Airbnb listings are used as predictors. Our findings show that while physical attributes show similarity to previous findings, spatial attributes show substantial differences in the Pre-COVID and Post-COVID comparison. The contributions of the study have two facets. Theoretically, this research's findings contribute to the current literature by understanding the changing consumer preferences and identifying the factors that affect Airbnb listings' survival rates during the COVID-19 pandemic. The findings may also help practitioners understand changing customers' preferences during COVID, especially in terms of locational choices. Moreover, customer feedback's quality and quantity might help the Airbnb hosts to improve their service quality, attract more customers, and be more resilient under the changing conditions.
- Airbnb (2020a). About us, https://news.airbnb.com/about-us/ , (Retrieved Date: 20.12.2021).
- Airbnb (2020b). Does the Extenuating Circumstances Policy apply to my reservation during the COVID-19 pandemic?, https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/2823/does-the-extenuating-circumstances-policy-apply-to-my-reservation-during-the-COVID19-pandemic , (Retrieved Date: 21.12.2021).
- Akarsu, T. N., Foroudi, P., and Melewar, T. C. (2020). What makes Airbnb likeable? Exploring the nexus between service attractiveness, country image, perceived authenticity and experience from a social exchange theory perspective within an emerging economy context. International Journal of Hospitality Management, 91, 102635.
- Alizadeh, T., Farid, R., and Sarkar, S. (2018). Towards understanding the socio-economic patterns of sharing economy in Australia: an investigation of Airbnb listings in Sydney and Melbourne metropolitan regions. Urban Policy and Research, 36(4), 445-463.
- Alrawadieh, Z., Guttentag, D., Cifci, M. A., and Cetin, G. (2020). Budget and midrange hotel managers’ perceptions of and responses to Airbnb. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, 32(2), 588-604.
- Alrawadieh, Z., and Alrawadieh, Z. (2018). Exploring entrepreneurship in the sharing accommodation sector: Empirical evidence from a developing country. Tourism Management Perspectives, 28, 179-188.
- Bardhi, F., and Eckhardt, G. M. (2012). Access-based consumption: The case of car sharing. Journal of consumer research, 39(4), 881-898.
- Barnes, S. J., and Mattsson, J. (2016). Understanding current and future issues in collaborative consumption: A four-stage Delphi study. Technological Forecasting and Social Change, 104, 200-211.
- Bartik, A. W., Bertrand, M., Cullen, Z., Glaeser, E. L., Luca, M., and Stanton, C. (2020). The impact of COVID-19 on small business outcomes and expectations. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 117(30), 17656-17666
- Benítez-Aurioles, B. (2019). Is Airbnb bad for hotels?. Current Issues in Tourism, 1-4.
- Brouder, P., and Eriksson, R. H. (2013). Staying power: What influences micro-firm survival in tourism?. Tourism Geographies, 15(1), 125-144.
- Chen, C. C., and Chang, Y. C. (2018). What drives purchase intention on Airbnb? Perspectives of consumer reviews, information quality, and media richness. Telematics and Informatics, 35(5), 1512-1523.
- Dogru, T., Mody, M., and Suess, C. (2019). Adding evidence to the debate: Quantifying Airbnb's disruptive impact on ten key hotel markets. Tourism Management, 72, 27-38.
- Engler, T. H., Winter, P., and Schulz, M. (2015). Understanding online product ratings: A customer satisfaction model. Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, 27, 113-120.
- Farmaki, A., and Kladou, S. (2020). Why do Airbnb hosts discriminate? Examining the sources and manifestations of discrimination in host practice. Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Management, 42, 181-189.
- Gémar, G., Moniche, L., and Morales, A. J. (2016). Survival analysis of the Spanish hotel industry. Tourism Management, 54, 428-438.
- Gibbs, C., Guttentag, D., Gretzel, U., Morton J., and Goodwill A. (2018). "Pricing in the sharing economy: a hedonic pricing model applied to Airbnb listings." Journal of Travel and Tourism Marketing, 35(1), 46-56.
- Goldsmith, R. E., and Horowitz, D. (2006). Measuring motivations for online opinion seeking. Journal of interactive advertising, 6(2), 2-14.
- Gutiérrez, J., García-Palomares, J. C., Romanillos, G., and Salas-Olmedo, M. H. (2017). The eruption of Airbnb in tourist cities: Comparing spatial patterns of hotels and peer-to-peer accommodation in Barcelona. Tourism Management, 62, 278-291.
- Guttentag, D. (2015). Airbnb: disruptive innovation and the rise of an informal tourism accommodation sector. Current issues in Tourism, 18(12), 1192-1217.
- Gursoy, D., and Chi, C. G. (2020). Effects of COVID-19 pandemic on hospitality industry: review of the current situations and a research agenda. Journal of Hospitality Marketing and Management, 29(5), 527-529.
- Guzman, N., Prema, M, Sood, R. and Wilkes, D. (2020). Coronavirus’ impact on service organizations: Weathering the storm. McKinsey, https://www.mckinsey.com/business-functions/operations/our-insights/coronavirus-impact-on-service-organizations-weathering-the-storm, (Retrieved Date: 30.12.2021).
- Hamari, J., Sjöklint, M., and Ukkonen, A. (2015). The sharing economy: Why people participate in collaborative consumption. Journal of the association for information science and technology, 67(9), 2047-2059.
- Hu, X., Yan, H., Casey, T., and Wu, C. H. (2020). Creating a safe haven during the crisis: How organizations can achieve deep compliance with COVID-19 safety measures in the hospitality industry. International Journal of Hospitality Management, 92, 102662.
- Istanbul Provincial Directorate of Culture and Tourism. (2020). İstanbul Turizm İstatistikleri – 2020, https://istanbul.ktb.gov.tr/TR-276895/istanbul-turizm-istatistikleri---2020.html, (Retrieved Date: 24.12.2021).
- Konak, S. (2020). The reasons of foreign tourists choose of Airbnb when they has visited İstanbul. International Journal of Contemporary Tourism Research, 4(1), 79-90.
- Lado-Sestayo, R., Vivel-Búa, M., and Otero-González, L. (2016). Survival in the lodging sector: An analysis at the firm and location levels. International Journal of Hospitality Management, 59, 19-30.
- Lawani, A., Reed, M. R., Mark, T., and Zheng, Y. (2019). Reviews and price on online platforms: Evidence from sentiment analysis of Airbnb reviews in Boston. Regional Science and Urban Economics, 75, 22-34.
- Leoni, V. (2020). Stars vs lemons. Survival analysis of peer-to peer marketplaces: The case of Airbnb. Tourism Management, 79, 104091.
- Magno, F., Cassia, F., and Ugolini, M. M. (2018). Accommodation prices on Airbnb: effects of host experience and market demand. The TQM Journal, 30(5), 608-620.
- Mody, M., and Hanks, L. (2019). Consumption authenticity in the age of the sharing economy: the keys to creating loyal customers who love your brand. Journal of Travel Research.
- Muñoz, P., and Cohen, B. (2017). Mapping out the sharing economy: A configurational approach to sharing business modeling. Technological Forecasting and Social Change, 125, 21-37.
- Murphy, H. C., and Chen, M. M. (2016). Online information sources used in hotel bookings: Examining relevance and recall. Journal of Travel Research, 55(4), 523-536.
- OECD (2020a). Coronavirus (COVID-19): SME Policy Responses, https://www.oecd.org/coronavirus/policy-responses/coronavirus-covid-19-sme-policy-responses-04440101/, (Retrieved Date: 20.12.2021).
- OECD (2020b). Policy Brief on responses in cities and regions on the COVID-19 crisis, https://www.oecd.org/coronavirus/policy-responses/covid-19-protecting-people-and-societies-e5c9de1a/, (Retrieved Date: 13.03.2021).
- OECD (2020c). OECD Policy Responses to Coronavirus (COVID-19), Tourism Policy Responses to the Coronavirus (COVID-19), https://www.oecd.org/coronavirus/policy-responses/tourism-policy-responses-to-the-coronavirus-covid-19-6466aa20/#section-d1e216, (Retrieved Date: 13.03.2021).
- Papathanassis, A., and Knolle, F. (2011). Exploring the adoption and processing of online holiday reviews: A grounded theory approach. Tourism Management, 32(2), 215-224.
- Park, D. H., Lee, J., and Han, I. (2007). The effect of online consumer reviews on consumer purchasing intention: The moderating role of involvement. International journal of electronic commerce, 11(4), 125-148.
- Poon, K. Y., and Huang, W. J. (2017). Past experience, traveler personality and tripographics on intention to use Airbnb. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, 29 (9), 2425-2443.
- Richard, B., and Cleveland, S. (2016). The future of hotel chains: Branded marketplaces driven by the sharing economy. Journal of Vacation Marketing, 22(3), 239-248.
- So, K. K. F., Oh, H., and Min, S. (2018). Motivations and constraints of Airbnb consumers: Findings from a mixed-methods approach. Tourism Management, 67, 224-236.
- Talty A. (2019). Bangkok Is The Most Visited City In The World...Again, https://www.forbes.com/sites/alexandratalty/2019/09/04/bangkok-is-the-most-visited-city-in-the-world-again/?sh=4bee68695f1b, (Retrieved Date: 20.12.2021).
- Tran, T. H., and Filimonau, V. (2020). The (de) motivation factors in choosing Airbnb amongst Vietnamese consumers. Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Management, 42, 130-140.
- Tussyadiah, I. P. (2016). Factors of satisfaction and intention to use peer-to-peer accommodation. International Journal of Hospitality Management, 55, 70-80.
- Tussyadiah, I. P., and Pesonen, J. (2018). Drivers and barriers of peer-to-peer accommodation stay–an exploratory study with American and Finnish travellers. Current Issues in Tourism, 21(6), 703-720.
- Wang, D., and Nicolau, J.L. (2017), Price Determinants of Sharing Economy Based Accommodation Rental: A study of Listings From 33 Cities on Airbnb. Com, International Journal of Hospitality Management, 62, 120-131.h
- Wilson, S., Fesenmaier, D. R., Fesenmaier, J., and Van Es, J. C. (2001). Factors for success in rural tourism development. Journal of Travel research, 40(2), 132-138.
- World Health Organisation, (2020). WHO Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) Dashboard. Retrieved December 20, 2020, from https://COVID19.who.int/
- Xie, K. L., Chen, C., and Wu, S. (2016). Online consumer review factors affecting offline hotel popularity: evidence from tripadvisor. Journal of Travel and Tourism Marketing, 33(2), 211-223.