THE MEDIATOR ROLE OF GLOBAL CONNECTEDNESS IN THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN LOGISTICS PERFORMANCE AND HUMAN DEVELOPMENT
How to Cite
Economic growth indicates a decent standard of living but it falls short of explaining human well-being and economic development in the long run. Human development, by being a broader concept, includes not only economic growth but also education and health indicators. It, therefore, better indicates longer term economic development and human well-being of a country. Number of studies already point to a significant relationship between logistics performance and economic growth. This research investigates whether a similar relationship between logistics performance and human development exists and the mediator role of global connectedness, which is related to both concepts. The purpose of this study, therefore, is to examine the mediator role of global connectedness in the relationship between logistics performance and human development. The results of the analysis show that global connectedness plays a partial mediator role in the relationship between logistics performance and human development.
- Arvis, J-F., Saslavsky, D., Ojala, L., Shepherd, B., Busch., C, Raj, A., Naula, T.,(2016),Connecting to Compete 2016, Trade Logistics in the Global Economy, LPI and Its Indicators,Washington,World Bank,pp. 1-62.
- Arvis, J-F., Duval, Y., Shepherd, B., Utoktham, C., Raj, A., (2015), Trade Costs in the Developing World: 1995-2012, Developing Trade Consultants, Working Paper, 2, 1-41.
- A.T. Kearney/Foreign Policy, (2003), Measuring Globalization, Foreign Policy Magazine Globalization Index, Jan-Feb 2003, 60-72.
- Baron, R., & Kenny, D., (1986), The Moderator - Mediator Variable distinction in Social Phychological Research: Conceptual, strategic and statistical Consideration. The Moderator - Mediator Variable distinction in Social Psychological Research Journal of Personality and Social Phychology, 1173-1182.
- Bergh, A., Nilsson, T., (2010), Good for Living? On the relationship between Globalization and Life Expectancy, World Development, 8 (1), 1191-1203.
- Bhagwati, J., (2004), In Defense of Globalization, Oxford, Oxford University Press.
- Borensztein, E., De Gregorio, J., Lee, J-W., (1998), How does foreign direct investment affect economic growth?, Journal of International Economics, 45, 115-135.
- Çelebi, Ü., (2018), Lojistiğin Ekonomideki Rolü, İstanbul, 1 ed., Ati Yayınları.
- Çelebi, Ü., Civelek, M., Çemberci, M., (2015), The Mediator Effect of Foreign Direct Invesments on the Relation between Logistics Peformance and Economic Growth, Journal of Global Strategic Management, 9(1), 17-21.
- Çelebi, Ü., Işıklar O., N., (2018), The Impacts of Logistics Performance upon Economic Growth through Foreign Direct Investment, Technological Development and Competitiveness: An Application of Structural Equation Modeling. Working article to be published.
- Chu, Z., (2012), Logistics and economic growth: a panel data approach, Springer, Ann Reg Sci, 49, 87-102.
- Civelek, M., (2018), Yapısal Eşitlik Modellemesi Metodolojisi, İstanbul, Beta.
- Dinda, S., (2014), Inclusive growth through creation of human and social capital, International Journal of Social Economics, 41 (10), 878-895.
- Dollar, D.,(2004), Globalization, Poverty, and Inequality since 1980, World Bank Policy Research Working Paper 3333, 1-46.
- Dreher, A.,(2006), Does globalization affect growth? Evidence from a new index of globalization, Applied Economics, 38, 1091-1110.
- Dreher, A., Gaston, N., Martens, P., Van Boxem, L., (2010), Measuring Globalization - Opening the Black Box. A Critical Analysis of Globalization Indices, Journal of Globalization Studies, 1(1), 166-185.
- Dreher, A., Gassebner, M., Siemers, L-H.R.,(2012), Globalization, Economic Freedom and Human Rights, Journal of Conflict Resolution, 56(3), 516-546.
- Duranton, G., Morrow M. P., Turner, A. M., (2014), Roads and Trade: Evidence from the US, Review of Economic Studies, 81, 681-724.
- Fagerberg, J., Srholec M., ( 2005), Catching Up: What are the Critical Factors for Success?”, UNIDO World Industrial Development Report,1-88.
- Fagerberg, J., Mowery, C, D., Verspagen, B.,(2009), Innovation, Path Dependency and Policy, The Norwegian Case, Oxford University Press.
- Ghemawat, P., Altman, S. A., (2016), DHL Global Connectedness Index, Deutsche Post DHL Group, Headquarters, Bonn, 1-248.
- Gries, T., Grundmann, R., Palnau, I., Redlin, M., (2018), Technology diffusion, international integration and participation in developing economies - a review of major concepts and findings, Int Econ Policy, 15, 215-253.
- Hoekman, B., (2014), Governance of Deeper Economic Integration in a Supply Chain World, Robert Schuman Centre for Advanced Studies, Florence, European University Institute.
- Kardam, N., (2005), Turkey’s Engagement with Global Women’s Human Rights, Hants, Ashgate.
- Korinek, J., Sourdin, P.,:(2011), To What Extent Are High-Quality Logistics Services Trade Facilitating”, OECD Trade Policy Papers, 108, 1-41.
- Lee, Chiang-Chien, Chi-Chuan Lee, Chun-Ping Chang, (2015), Globalization, Economic Growth and Institutional Development in China, Global Economic Review, 44 (1), 31-63.
- Levinson, Marc: (2006), The Box, How the Shipping Container Made the World Smaller and the World Economy Bigger, Princeton New Jersey, Princeton University Press.
- Long, D., (2003), International Logistics Global Supply Chain Management, Massachusetts, Kluwer Academic Publishers.
- Martens, P., Zywietz, D., (2006), Rethinking Globalization: A Modified Globalization Index, Journal of International Development 18, 331-350.
- Memedovic, O., Ojala, L., Rodrigue, J-P., Naula, T., (2008), Fuelling the global value chains:what role for logistics capabilities?, Int. J. Technological Learning, Innovation and Development, Volume 1, Issue 3, pp. 353-374.
- Morrell, S. P., (2011), Moving Boxes by Air, The Economics of International Air Cargo, Ashgate Publishing.
- Moshirian, F., (2008), Globalisation, growth and insitutions, Journal of Banking & Finance, 32, 472-479.
- Mukherjee, N., Krieckhaus, J., (2011), Globalization and human well-being, International Political Science Review, 33(2), 150-170.
- Munim, H., Z., Schramm, H., J., (2018), The impacts of port infrastructure and logistics performance on economic growth: the mediating role of seaborne trade, Journal of Shipping and Trade, 3(1), 1-19.
- OECD/ITF,(2015), Drivers of Logistics Performance A Case Study of Turkey, Corporate Partnership Board Report, 1-54.
- OECD/ITF,(2016), Logistics Development Strategies and Performance Measurement, Roundtable Report, Paris, International Transport Forum, Issue 158, pp. 1-143.
- Ohmae, K.,(1996), The End of The Nation State, London, Harper Collins Publishers.
- Ojala, L., Çelebi, D., (2016), The World Banks’s logistics performance index, LPI and drivers of logistics performance, Logistics Development Strategies and Performance Measurement, Paris, OECD/ITF, Issue 158, pp. 69-95.
- Romer, P. M.,(1990), Endogenous Technological Change, Journal of Political Economy, 98 (5), 71-102.
- Saidi, S., Hammami, S.,(2014), The Interaction Between Transportation, Foreign Direct Investment and Human Capital: A New Determinant of Economic Growth in Developing Countries (The Case of Tunisia), International Journal of Economics, Commerce and Management, 2(11), 1-22.
- Sanchez, J. R.,Tomassian, C, G., Perrotti, E, D.,(2014), Economic Development and Logistics Performance, Revista de Economia Mundial, 38, 27-48.
- Sen, A., (1999), Development as Freedom, New York, Alfred A.Knopf Inc.
- Sen, A., (2000), Economics and Health, The Lancet, 354, siv20.
- Sen, A., (2005), Human Rights and Capabilities, Journal of Human Development, 6 (2), 151-166.
- Sirgy, M. J., Lee, D, Miller, C., Littlefield, E., J., (2004), The Impact of Globalization on a Country’s Quality of Life: Toward an Integrated Model, Social Indicators Research, 68, 251-298.
- Sobel, M., (1982), Asymptotic intervals for indirect effects in structural equations models. Sociological methodology, 290-312.
- Solow, R.,(1956), A contribution to the theory of Economic Growth, Quarterly Journal of Economics, 70, (1), 65-94.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E.,(2002), Participation and Development: Perspectives from the Comprehensive Development Paradigm, Review of Development Economics, 6 (2), 163-182.
- Thirlwall, P, A.,(2013), Economic Growth in an Open Developing Economy, Cheltenham, Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Togan, S., (2016), The Liberalization of Transportation Services in the EU and Turkey, Oxford, Oxford University Press.
- Tsai, M-C., (2007), Does Globalization Affect Human Well-Being?, Social Indicators Research, 81, 103-126.
- UNDP, (2016), Human Development Report, Human Development for Everyone, New York.
- Unnikrishnan, R., Jagannathan, L.,(2015), A Study on Mediation Effect of Social Inclusion on Global Human Development, BVIMR Management Edge, 8 (1), 42-56.
- Wolf, M., (2004), Why Globalization Works, New Haven, Yale University Press.