CREATING ORGANIZATIONAL COMMITMENT THROUGH SPIRITUAL LEADERSHIP: MEDIATING EFFECT OF MEANING AT WORK
- Spiritual Leadership, Workplace Spirituality, Meaning, Organizational Commitment
- Spiritüel Liderlik, İşyeri Maneviyatı (Ruhsallığı), Anlam, Örgütsel Bağlılık
How to Cite
Fierce competition and oppressing business life of 21st century has given birth to changes in business life and caused some troubles on the side of employees. Unsatisfaction regarding daily working habits has given way to increasing demands of employees regarding a more humane and more meaningful work. In this point, workplace spirituality and spiritual leadership come to scene as possible remedies for the meaninglessness and disappointment of modern employees. In the study, it is hypothesized that spiritual leadership has a positive effect on organizational commitments of employees and the sense of meaning act as a mediator in this relationship. In this paper, we will first explain the spiritual constructs like workplace spirituality and spiritual leadership. And than we will explain our research regarding the relationship among spiritual leadership, sense of meaning and organizational commitment in details. In order to test the relationships in our model a field research has been applied on 800 turkish academicians by using online and face to face surveys. And 190 usable answers have been obtained. Results of the study has been analyzed by using SPSS. 22 program.
- Alimudin, A., Septian, D., Sasono, A. D., & Wulandari, A. (2017). Effect of Spiritual Leadership to Organizational Culture and Employee’s Loyalty. Jurnal Terapan Manajemen Dan Bisnis, 3(2), 76-86.
- Ashmos, & Duchon (2000). Spirituality at work: A conceptualization and measure. Journal of Management Inquiry, 9(2), 134–145.
- Baykal, E., & Zehir, C. (2018). Mediating effect of psychological capital on the relationship between spiritual leadership and performance. Economics and Management.
- Campbell, J. K., & Hwa, Y. S. (2014). Workplace Spirituality and Organizational Commitment Influence on Job Performance among Academic Staff. Jurnal Pengurusan (UKM Journal of Management), 40.
- Chen, C. Y., & Li, C. I. (2013). Assessing the spiritual leadership effectiveness: The contribution of follower's self-concept and preliminary tests for moderation of culture and managerial position. The Leadership Quarterly, 24(1), 240-255.
- Coma, J. M. (2007). Spiritual practice: a literature review related to spiritual health and health outcomes. Holistic nursing practice, 21(5), 224-236.
- Crossman, J. (2007). The spirit of business: Spiritualising otherwise secular work and learning contexts. International Employment Relations Review, 13(2), 1.
- DeVost, R. (2010). Correlation between the leadership practices of lead ministers and the workplace spirituality of their churches as reported by church members. Andrews University). ProQuest Dissertations and Theses, Retrieved from http://search.proquest.com/docview/871103857?accountid=10559.
- Fairholm, G. W. (1996). Spiritual leadership: Fulfilling whole-self needs at work. Leadership & Organization Development Journal, 17(5), 11-17.
- Fernando, M. & Nilakant, V. (2008), “The place of self-actualisation in workplace spirituality: evidence from Sri Lanka”, Culture and Religion, Vol. 9 No. 3, pp. 233-249.
- Fini, A. A. S., & Abmal, Y. (2017). Examine the Relationship between Organizational Happiness and Organizational Spirituality with Organizational Commitment in Administrators and Teachers. Journal of Exploratory Studies in Law and Management, 4(2).
- Frisdiantara, C., & Sahertian, P. (2013). The spiritual leadership dimension in relation to other value-based leadership in organization. Ideology and Leadership, 11.
- Fry, L. W. (2003). Toward a theory of spiritual leadership. The Leadership Quarterly, 14(6), 693–727.
- Fry, L. W., & Cohen, M. P. (2009). Spiritual leadership as a paradigm for organizational transformation and recovery from extended work hours cultures. Journal of business ethics, 84, 265-278.
- Fry, L. W., & Matherly, L. L. (2006, August). Spiritual leadership and organizational performance: An exploratory study. In Annual Meeting of the Academy of Management,(11-16 Ağustos) Atlanta-Georgia.
- Fry, L. W., Vitucci, S., & Cedillo, M. (2005). Spiritual leadership and army transformation: Theory, measurement, and establishing a baseline. The leadership quarterly, 16(5), 835-862.
- Fry, L., & Kriger, M. (2009). Towards a theory of being-centered leadership: Multiple levels of being as context for effective leadership. Human Relations, 62(11), 1667-1696.
- Fry, L. W., & Slocum Jr, J. W. (2008). Maximizing the triple bottom line through spiritual leadership. Organizational dynamics, 37(1), 86-96.
- Giacalone, R., & Jurkiewicz, C. (2003). Toward a science of workplace spirituality. In R. Giacalone, & C. Jurkiewicz (Eds.), Handbook of workplace spirituality and organizational performance (pp. 3–28). Armonk, NY7 Sharpe.
- Gilbreath, B., & Benson, P. G. (2004). The contribution of super- visor behaviour to employee psychological well-being. Work & Stress, 18, 3, 255-266.
- Greenleaf, S. (1977). Servant leadership. New York: Paulist Press.
- Gündüz, Ş. (2017). The relationship between spiritual leadership and organizational cynicism: The moderating effect of emotional intelligence. Doğuş University Journal, 18, 2, 117-132.
- Hudson, R. (2014). The question of theoretical foundations for the spirituality at work movement. Journal of Management, Spirituality & Religion, 11, 27e44.
- Kazemipour, F., Amin, S. M., & Pourseidi, B. (2012). Relationship between workplace spirituality and organizational citizenship behavior among nurses through mediation of affective organizational commitment. Journal of Nursing Scholarship, 44(3), 302-310
- Kolodinsky, R.W., Giacalone, R.A. & Jurkiewicz, C.L. 2008. Workplace values and out-comes: Exploring personal, organizational, and interactive workplace spirituality. Journal of Business Ethics 81: 465-80.
- Kouzes, J. M., & Posner, B. Z. (2002). The leadership challenge. San Francisco: Jossey- Bass.
- Kriger, M. and Seng, Y. (2013), “Leadership with inner meaning: a contingency theory of leadership based on the worldviews of five religions”, The Leadership Quarterly, Vol. 16 No. 5, pp. 771-806.
- Malone, P., & Fry, L. W. (2003). Transforming schools through spiritual leadership: A field experiment. In Annual Meeting of the Academy of Management,(1-6 Ağustos). Seattle-Washington.
- Mansor, N., Ismail, A. H., Alwi, M. A. M., & Anwar, N. (2013). Relationship between spiritual leadership and organizational commitment in Malaysians' oil and gas industry. Asian Social Science, 9(7), 179.
- Markow, F., & Klenke, K. (2005). The effects of personal meaning and calling on organizational commitment: An empirical investigation of spiritual leadership. International Journal of Organizational Analysis, 13(1), 8-27.
- Meyer, J. P., & Allen, N. J. (1991). A three-component conceptualization of organizational commitment. Human 109 Resource Management Review, 1, 61-89. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/1053-4822(91)90011-Z
- Mousa, M., & Alas, R. (2016). Workplace spirituality and organizational commitment: A study on the public schools teachers in Menoufia (Egypt). African Journal of Business Management, 10(10), 247-255.
- Narcıkara, E. (2017). Spiritüel Liderlik Davranışının Algılanan Performans Üzerine Etkisi (Yayımlanmamış doktora tezi). Yıldız Teknik Üniversitesi, İstanbul.
- Narcıkara, E. B. (2018). Spiritüelite (Ruhsallık) ve iş ortamında anlam arayışı. Alanya Akademik Bakış, 2(1), 11-25.
- Paloutzian, R. F., Emmons, R. A., & Keortge, S. G. (2003). Spiritual well-being, spiritual intelligence, and healthy workplace policy. In R. A. Giacolone, & C. L. Jurkiewicz (Eds.), Handbook of workplace spirituality and organizational performance (pp. 123–137). New York7 M.E. Sharpe.
- Reave, L. (2005). Spiritual values and practices related to leadership effectiveness. The leadership quarterly, 16(5), 655-687.
- Rego, A., & Pina e Cunha, M. (2008). Workplace spirituality and organizational commitment: an empirical study. Journal of organizational change management, 21(1), 53-75.
- Rouhoma, H. M., Dhar, B. K., Ali, K., & Osman, M. M. (2018). Constructing model to explore the influence of Religiosity and Spirituality on Organizational Performance through Organizational Commitment. Al-'ABQARI: Journal of Islamic Social Sciences and Humanities, 16, 11-30
- Sreejesh S, Tavleen N (2011). Antecedents and Consequences of Employee loyalty towards the Organization: Empirical Evidence from Indian Software Industry. IJMS 18(2).
- Sušanj, Z., & Jakopec A. (2012). Fairness perceptions and job satisfaction as mediators of the relationship between leadership style and organizational commitment. Psychological Topics, 21(3), 509-526.
- Usman, A., & Danish, R. Q. (2010). Leadership spirituality in banking professionals and its impact on organizational commitment. International Journal of Business and Management, 5(3), 185.
- Vandenberghe, C. (2011), “Workplace spirituality and organizational commitment: an integrative model”, Journal of Management, Spirituality and Religion, Vol. 8 No. 3, pp. 211-232.
- Wulff, D. M. (1996). Psychology of religion: Classic and contemporary. New York: Wiley.
- Zinnbauer, B.J., Pargament, K. I., Cole, B., Rye, M., Butter, E.M., Belavich, T. G., Hipp, K.M. and Scott, A.B, (1997). Religion and Spirituality: Unfuzzying the Fuzzy, Journal for the Scientific Study of Religion, (36)4, 549-564.