MEDIATING EFFECT OF WORK ENGAGEMENT IN THE RELATIONSHIP OF PROACTIVE PERSONALITY AND PROACTIVE WORK BEHAVIOR
How to Cite
In this study, the effects of proactive personality traits on the proactive work behavior and work engagement are examined. The study aims to examine whether proactive personality structure of employees working for Development Agencies in Turkey has any effect on proactive work behavior, work engagement of people. In line with this aim, data from 151 people working in Development Agencies were collected by the questionnaire method and these data were analyzed by hierarchical regression method in order to determine the direct and regulatory effects of the variables included in the model. As result, it is reviled that proactive personality and proactive work behavior has a positive relationship, moreover, work engagement has a mediating effect on this relationship.
- Ashford, S. J. ve Cummings, L. L. (1985). Proactive Feedback Seeking: The Instrumental Use of the Information Environment. Journal of Occupational Psychology, 58, 67-79.
- Ashford, S. J. ve Black, J. S. (1996). Proactivity During Organizational Entry: The Role of Desire for Control. Journal of Applied Psychology, 81(2), 199-214.
- Bakker, A. B., Tims, M. ve Derks, D. (2012). Proactive Personality and Job Performance: The Role of Job Crafting and Work Engagement. Human Relations, 65(10), 1359-1378.
- Bandura, A. (1986). Social Foundations of Thought And Action. Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey: Prentice Hall.
- Baron, R. M., ve Kenny, D. A. (1986). The moderator–mediator variable distinction in social psychological research: Conceptual, strategic, and statistical considerations Journal of personality and social psychology, 51(6): 1173-1182.
- Bateman, Thomas ve Crant, J.Michael (1993). The Proactive Component of Organizational Behavior: A Measure and Correlates Journal of Organizational Behavior, 14: 103-118.
- Bateman, T. S., ve Crant, J. M. (1999). Proactive behavior: Meaning, impact, recommendations. Business Horizons, 42(3), 63-70.
- Bolino, M.C., Valcea, S., ve Harvey, J. (2010). Employee, manage thyself: The potentially-negative implications of expecting employees to behave proactively Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology, 83: 325-345.
- Brown, D. J., Cober, R. T., Kane, K., Levy, P. E., ve Shalhoop, J. (2006). Proactive personality and the successful job search: a field investigation with college graduates. Journal of applied psychology, 91(3), 717-726.
- Buss, D. M. (1987). Selection, evocation, and manipulation. Journal of personality and social psychology, 53(6), 1214-1221.
- Crant, J. M. (2000). Proactive behavior in organizations. Journal of management, 26(3), 435-462.
- Crant, J. M., ve Bateman, T. S. (2000). Charismatic leadership viewed from above: The impact of proactive personality. Journal of organizational Behavior, 63-75.
- Çelik, H. E., ve Yılmaz, V. (2013). Lisrel 9.1 ile Yapısal Eşitlik Modellemesi: Temel Kavramlar-Uygulamalar-Programlama (Yenilenmiş 2. Baskı). Ankara: Anı Yayıncılık.
- Dikkers, J. S., Jansen, P. G., de Lange, A. H., Vinkenburg, C. J., ve Kooij, D. (2010). Proactivity, job characteristics, and engagement: a longitudinal study. Career Development International, 15(1), 59-77.
- Drown, D. T. (2013). Work Design Characteristics as Moderators of the Relationship between Proactive Personality and Engagement. Yayınlanmamış Doktora Tezi. Portland State Üniversitesi. Portland.
- Eroğlu, A.ve Kalaycı, Ş. SPSS Uygulamalı çok değişkenli istatistik teknikleri. Editör: Şeref Kalaycı, 2008, 3.
- Farrell, D. (1983). Exit, voice, loyalty, and neglect as responses to job dissatisfaction: A multidimensional scaling study. Academy of management journal, 26(4), 596-607.
- Frese, M., ve Fay, D. (2001). 4. Personal initiative: An active performance concept for work in the 21st century. Research in organizational behavior, 23, 133-187.
- Frese, M., Kring, W., Soose, A., ve Zempel, J. (1996). Personal initiative at work: Differences between East and West Germany. Academy of Management journal, 39(1), 37-63.
- Frese, M., Fay, D., Hilburger, T., Leng, K., ve Tag, A. (1997). The concept of personal initiative: Operationalization, reliability and validity in two German samples. Journal of occupational and organizational psychology, 70(2), 139-161.
- Grant, A. M., ve Ashford, S. J. (2008). The dynamics of proactivity at work. Research in Organizational Behaviour, 28: 3-34.
- Grant, A. M., Fried, Y., Parker, S. K., ve Frese, M. (2010). Putting job design in context: Introduction to the special issue. Journal of Organizational Behavior, 31(2‐3), 145-157.
- Griffin, M. A., Parker, S. K., ve Mason, C. M. (2010). Leader vision and the development of adaptive and proactive performance: a longitudinal study. Journal of Applied Psychology, 95(1), 174-182.
- Güney, S. (2006). Davranış Bilimleri. Gözden Geçirilmiş 3. Baskı, Nobel Yayın Dağıtım, Ankara.
- Harter, J. K., Schmidt, F. L., ve Hayes, T. L. (2002). Business-unit-level relationship between employee satisfaction, employee engagement, and business outcomes: a meta-analysis. Journal of Applied Psychology,87(2), 268-279.
- Kahn, W. A. (1990). Psychological conditions of personal engagement and disengagement at work. Academy of management journal, 33(4), 692-724.
- Kalaycı, Ş. (2016). SPSS Uygulamalı Çok Değişkenli İstatistik Teknikleri. 7. Baskı, Asil Yayın Dağıtım, Ankara.
- Kalkınma Bakanlığı (2015). Kalkınma Ajansları 2015 Yılı Genel Faaliyet Raporu. http://www.kalkinma.gov.tr/Lists/Yaynlar/Attachments/732/Kalk%C4%B1nma%20Ajanslar%C4%B1%202015%20Y%C4%B1l%C4%B1%20Genel%20Faaliyet%20Raporu.pdf, (Erişim Tarihi: 01.02.2017).
- Köseoğlu, M. ve Yamak, R. (2008). Uygulamalı İstatistik. Celepler Matbaacılık, 3. Baskı. Trabzon (Tr).
- Macey, W. H., ve Schneider, B. (2008). The meaning of employee engagement. Industrial and organizational Psychology, 1(1), 3-30.
- Maslach, C., ve Leiter, M. P. (1997). The truth about burnout. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
- LePine, J. A., ve Van Dyne, L. (1998). Predicting voice behavior in work groups. Journal of applied psychology, 83(6), 853 –868.
- Luthans, F. (2002). Positive organizational behavior: Developing and managing psychological strengths. The Academy of Management Executive, 16(1), 57-72.
- Morrison, E. W., ve Phelps, C. C. (1999). Taking charge at work: Extrarole efforts to initiate workplace change. Academy of management Journal, 42(4), 403-419.
- Parker, S. K., ve Collins, C. G. (2010). Taking stock: Integrating and differentiating multiple proactive behaviors. Journal of Management, 36(3), 633-662.
- Parker, S. K., Williams, H. M., ve Turner, N. (2006). Modeling the antecedents of proactive behavior at work. Journal of applied psychology, 91(3), 636 -652.
- Robinson, D., Perryman, S., ve Hayday, S. (2004). The drivers of employee engagement. Report-Institute for Employment Studies.
- Rothbard, N. P., ve Patil, S. V. (2012). Being there: Work engagement and positive organizational scholarship. The Oxford handbook of positive organizational scholarship, 56-68.
- Salanova, M., ve Schaufeli, W. B. (2008). A cross-national study of work engagement as a mediator between job resources and proactive behaviour. The International Journal of Human Resource Management, 19(1), 116-131.
- Scott, S. G., & Bruce, R. A. (1994). Determinants of innovative behavior: A path model of individual innovation in the workplace. Academy of management journal, 37(3), 580-607.
- Seibert, S. E., Crant, J. M., ve Kraimer, M. L. (1999). Proactive personality and career success. Journal of applied psychology, 84(3), 416-427.
- Seibert, S. E., Kraimer, M. L., ve Crant, J. M. (2001). What do proactive people do? A longitudinal model linking proactive personality and career success. Personnel psychology, 54(4), 845-874.
- Seibert, S. E., Silver, S. R., ve Randolph, W. A. (2004). Taking empowerment to the next level: A multiple-level model of empowerment, performance, and satisfaction. Academy of management Journal, 47(3), 332-349.
- Schaufeli, W. B., Salanova, M., González-Romá, V., ve Bakker, A. B. (2002). The measurement of engagement and burnout: A two sample confirmatory factor analytic approach. Journal of Happiness studies, 3(1), 71-92.
- Schaufeli, W. B., Bakker, A. B., & Salanova, M. (2006). The measurement of work engagement with a short questionnaire: A cross-national study. Educational and psychological measurement, 66(4), 701-716.
- Sonnentag, S. (2003). Recovery, work engagement, and proactive behavior: a new look at the interface between nonwork and work. Journal of applied psychology, 88(3), 518-528.
- Tabachnick, B. G, ve Fidell, L.S. (2001). Using Multivariate Statistics (Fourth Edition).Boston: Ally And Bacon.
- Thompson, J. A. (2005). Proactive personality and job performance: a social capital perspective. Journal of Applied psychology, 90(5), 1011-1017.
- Turunç, Ö., ve Çelik, M. (2010). Çalışanların algıladıkları örgütsel destek ve iş stresinin örgütsel özdeşleşme ve iş performansına etkisi. Yönetim ve Ekonomi: Celal Bayar Üniversitesi İktisadi ve İdari Bilimler Fakültesi Dergisi, 17(2), 183-206.
- Wang, Z. (2014). Reaping benefits employee proactive personality: Roles of team proactivity composition, perceived organizational support, and work engagement. (Yayınlanmamış Doktora Tezi). Houston Üniversitesi, Houston.
- Warshawsky, N., E. (2011). The influence of interpersonal relationships on nurse managers' work engagement and proactive work behavior. (Yayınlanmamış Doktora Tezi). North Carolina Üniversitesi. Kuzey Carolina.
- Withey, M. J.,ve Cooper, W. H. (1989). Predicting exit, voice, loyalty, and neglect. Administrative Science Quarterly, 521-539.