THE VALIDITY AND RELIABILITY OF THE ULTRA-SHORT MEASURE FOR WORK ENGAGEMENT- TURKISH FORM
- Utrecht Work Engagement Scale, Ultra-Short Work Engagement Measure, Job Satisfaction, Intention to Leave, Validity, Reliability
- Utrecht İşe Angaje Olma Ölçeği, Ultra-Kısa İşe Angaje Olma Ölçeği, İş Tatmini, İşten Ayrılma Niyeti, Geçerlilik, Güvenilirlik
How to Cite
Work engagement has become an important topic in recent years and thus it has been a popular concept, both in business contexts and in researches. In today’s business world the issue of employee engagement has become one of the biggest competitive differentiators and it is regarded as a vital ingredient in an organization’s success. However recent research reveals that employees are feeling disengaged from the workplace and finding ways to fully engage employees is a major challenge for managers. Various studies have tested on the validity and reliability Turkish form of Utrecht Work Engagement Scale. However to our knowledge none of them has made the validity and reliability of the Turkish form of the 3-items ultra-short form. The present paper tests the validity and reliability of the Ultra-Short Measure for Work Engagement- Turkish form.
- Ardıç, K. & S. Polatçı (2009). “Tükenmişlik Sendromu ve Madalyonun Öbür Yüzü: İşle Bütünleşme”, Erciyes Üniversitesi İİBF Dergisi, 32.
- Ashforth, B. E. & R. H. Humphrey (1995). “Emotion in the Workplace: A Reappraisal”, Human Relations, 48, 97– 125.
- Bakker, A. B. & M. P. Leiter (2010). “Where to From Here: Integration and Future Research on Work Engagement”. A.B. Bakker & M.P. Leiter, M.P. (Ed.) Work Engagement: A Handbook of Essential Theory and Research (181-196) içinde. Hove: Psychology Press.
- Bakker, A. B., Schaufeli, W. B., Leiter, M. P. & T. W. Taris (2008). “Work Engagement: An Emerging Concept in Occupational Health Psychology”, Work & Stress, 22(3), 187-200.
- Bal, E. A. (2008). Self-Efficacy, Contextual Factors and Well-Being: The Impact of Work Engagement. Marmara Üniversitesi. Yayımlanmamış Doktora Tezi.
- Bersin, J. (2014, April 10). It’s Time to Rethink The ‘Employee Engagement’ Issue, https://www.forbes.com/sites/joshbersin/2014/04/10/its-time-to-rethink-the-employee-engagement-issue/ #6a023ffc6cf3 [Erişim Tarihi 05.08.2019].
- Blau, G. (1989). “Testing the Generalizability of a Career Commitment Measure and Its Impact on Employee Turnover”, Journal of Vocational Behavior, 35, 88-103.
- Christian, M. S., Garza, A. S. & J. E. Slaughter (2011). “Work Engagement: A Quantitative Review and Test of its Relations with Task and Contextual Performance”, Personnel Psychology, 64, 89–136.
- Çapri, B., Gündüz, B. & S. Evin Akbay (2017). “Utrecht Work Engagement Scale-Student Forms’ (UWES-SF) Adaptation to Turkish, Validity and Reliability Studies, and the Mediator Role of Work Engagement between Academic Procrastination and Academic Responsibility”, Kuram ve Uygulamada Eğitim Bilimleri, 17(2), 411–435.
- Dalay, G. (2007). The Relationship between the Variables of Organizational Trust, Job Engagement, Organizational Commitment and Job Involvement. Marmara Üniversitesi. Yayımlanmamış Yüksek Lisans Tezi.
- Dubinsky, A. J. & S. W. Harley (1986). “A Path-Analytic Study of a Model of Salesperson Performance”, Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 14, 36–46.
- Eryılmaz, A. & T. Doğan (2012). “İş Yaşamında Öznel İyi Oluş: Utrecht İşe Bağlılık Ölçeğinin Psikometrik Niteliklerinin İncelenmesi”, Klinik Psikiyatri, 15, 49-55.
- Fornell, C. & D. F. Larcker (1981). “Structural Equation Models with Unobservable Variables and Measurement Error: Algebra and Statistics”, Journal of Marketing Research, 382–388.
- Gallup (2017). State of the Global Workplace. http://news.gallup.com/reports/220313/state-global-workplace-2017.aspx?utm_source=StateoftheGlobalWorkplaceReport&utm_medium=downloadreportemail&utm_campaign=StateoftheGlobalWorkplaceReport-10182017&utm_content=DownloadreportNow-CTA-1 [Erişim Tarihi 28.07.2019].
- Gerbing, D. & J. Anderson (1988). “An Updated Paradigm for Scale Development Incorporating Unidimensionality and its Assessment”, Journal of Marketing Research, 25(2), 186–192.
- Gingras, M. (2015, January 20). Five Employee Engagement Challenges. https://www.business2community.com/human-resources/five-employee-engagement-challenges-01130488 [Erişim Tarihi 28.07.2019].
- Güneşer, A. B. (2007). The Effect of Person-Organization Fit on Organizational Commitment and Work Engagement: The Role of Person-Supervisor Fit. Marmara Üniversitesi. Yayımlanmamış Doktora Tezi.
- Hair, J. F., Jr, Sarstedt, M., Hopkins, L. & V. G. Kuppelwieser (2014). “Partial Least Squares Structural Equation Modeling (PLS-SEM): An Emerging Tool in Business Research”, European Business Review, 26(2), 106–121.
- Halbesleben, J. R. B. & A. R. Wheeler (2008). “The Relative Roles of Engagement and Embeddedness in Predicting Job Performance and Intention to Leave”, Work & Stress, 22, 242–256.
- Kahn, W. A. (1990). “Psychological Conditions of Personal Engagement and Disengagement at Work”, Academy of Management Journal, 33, 692–724.
- Kim, W., Han, S. J. & J. Park (2019). “Is the Role of Work Engagement Essential to Employee Performance or ‘Nice to Have’?”, Sustainability, 11, 1050.
- Macey, W. & B. Schneider (2008). “The Meaning of Employee Engagement”, Industrial and Organizational Psychology, 1, 3–30.
- Metin, Ü. B. (2010). The Antecedents and Consequences of Burnout, Work Engagement and Workaholism. Orta Doğu Teknik Üniversitesi. Yayımlanmamış Doktora Tezi.
- Öner, Z. H. (2008). The Mediating Effect of Organizational Justice: Moderating Roles of Sense of Coherence and Job Complexity on the Relationship Between Servant Leadership and Work Engagement. Marmara Üniversitesi. Yayımlanmamış Doktora Tezi.
- Özkalp, E. & B. Meydan (2015). “Schaufeli ve Bakker Tarafından Geliştirilmiş Olan İşe Angaje Olma Ölçeğinin Türkçe’de Güvenilirlik ve Geçerliliğinin Analizi”, İş, Güç Endüstri İlişkileri ve İnsan Kaynakları Dergisi, 17(3), 4-19.
- Podsakoff, P. M., MacKenzie, S. B., Lee, J. Y. & N. P. Podsakoff (2003). “Common Method Biases in Behavioral Research: A Critical Review of the Literature and Recommended Remedies”, Journal of Applied Psychology, 88(5), 879–903.
- Ram, P. & G. V. Prabhakar (2011). “The Role of Employee Engagement in Work-related Outcomes”, Interdisciplinary Journal of Research in Business, 1(3), 47-61.
- Robinson, D., Perryman, S. & S. Hayday (2004). The Drivers of Employee Engagement. Brighton, UK: Institute for Employment Studies.
- Saks, A. M. & J. A. Gruman (2014). “What do We really Know about Employee Engagement?” Human Resource Development Quarterly, 25(2), 155-182.
- Schaufeli, W. B. (2012). “Work Engagement. What Do We Know and Where Do We Go?”, Romanian Journal of Applied Psychology, 14(1), 3-10.
- Schaufeli, W. B. & A. Bakker (2004, December). UWES Utrecht Work Engagement Scale. [Version 1.1, December 2004] https://www.wilmarschaufeli.nl/publications/Schaufeli/Test%20Manuals/ Test_manual_UWES_English.pdf [Erişim tarihi 28.07.2019].
- Schaufeli, W. B., Bakker, A. B. & M. Salanova (2006). “The Measurement of Work Engagement With a Short Questionnaire: A Cross-National Study”, Educational and Psychological Measurement, 66(4), 701-716.
- Schaufeli, W. B., Salanova, M., Gonzalez-Roma, V.& A. B. Bakker (2002). “The Measurement of Engagement and Burnout: A Two Sample Confirmatory Factor Analytic Approach”, Journal of Happiness Studies, 3, 71-92.
- Schaufeli, W. B., Shimazu, A., Hakanen, J., Salanova, M. & H. De Witte (2017). “An Ultra-Short Measure for Work Engagement: The UWES-3 Validation Across Five Countries”, European Journal of Psychological Assessment. Advance online publication.
- Tuna, B. (2009). Understanding the Relationship between Transformational, Transactional Leadership and Affective Commitment, Work Engagement. Yeditepe Üniversitesi. Yayımlanmamış Doktora Tezi.
- Turgut T. (2011). Çalışmaya Tutkunluk. (Ed. Güler İslamoğlu), 1. Baskı, Ankara: Nobel Yayıncılık.
- Wah, L. (1999). “Engaging Employees a Big Challenge”, Management Review; 88(9), 10.
- Wellins, R. S., Bernthal, P. & M. Phelps (2005). Employee Engagement: The Key to Realizing Competitive Advantage. Development Dimensions International. www.ddiworld.com/https://www.ddiworld.com/ddi/media/ monographs/employeeengagement_mg_ddi.pdf?ext=.pdf [Erişim tarihi 30.09.2019].