Flow experience of consumers in global coffee shops: Evidence from an emerging market
- Akış Deneyimi, Memnuniyet, Davranışsal Eğilim
- Flow Experience, Satisfaction, Behavioural Intention
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2022 Ceyda TANRIKULU
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
This study aimed to examine the effect of the flow experience of global coffee shop consumers on the intention to recommend and revisit and the effect of satisfaction on the intention to recommend and revisit. It also aimed to determine whether satisfaction mediates the relationship between flow experience and intention to recommend and revisit. Data were obtained through an online questionnaire by young consumers in Türkiye, an emerging market. Simple linear regression and mediation analysis were applied to test the hypotheses. The major findings indicated that both flow experience and satisfaction significantly affected these behavioural intentions. Moreover, the findings empirically confirmed and theoretically proved that satisfaction was important due to its direct effect on behavioural intention and its indirect effect on how flow experience affects behavioural intention as a mediator. This study is expected to provide significant evidence that expands the knowledge of consumer behaviour by identifying and explaining the relationship between flow experience and behavioural intention.
- Ali, F. (2016). Hotel website quality, perceived flow, customer satisfaction and purchase intention. Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Technology, 7(2), 213-228.
- Alegra World Coffee Portal, (2019) “Explainer: What is the 5th Wave of coffee?” https://www.worldcoffeeportal.com/Latest/InsightAnalysis/2019/May/Explainer-What-is-the-5th-Wave-of-coffee. (Accessed on:13.09.2022)
- Arslan, F. (2019). Tüketicilerin kahve tüketim alışkanlıkları ve kahve dükkânı tercihleri: Antalya ilinde bir araştırma. International Journal of Contemporary Tourism Research, 3(2), 224-234.
- Aykol, B. & Aksatan, M. (2013). Akış teorisinin müze ziyaretlerine uygulanabilirliğine dair kavramsal bir model ve araştırma önerileri. Pazarlama ve Pazarlama Araştırmaları Dergisi, 6(12), 69-90.
- Aykol, B., Aksatan, M. & İpek, İ. (2017). Flow within theatrical consumption: The relevance of authenticity. Journal of Consumer Behaviour, 16(3), 254-264.
- Baron, R.M. & Kenny, D.A. (1986) The moderator–mediator variable distinction in social psychological research: conceptual, strategic and statistical considerations.Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 51, 1173–1182.
- Bayındır, B. & Önçel, S. (2019). Üniversite öğrencilerinin kahve dükkânlarını tercih etme nedenleri: Anadolu. Journal of Tourism and Gastronomy Studies, 7(3), 1806-1820.
- Cha, S. S. & Seo, B. K. (2018). The Factors influencing Customer Satisfaction with and Revisiting Coffee Shops in Korea: The Moderating Roles of Psychological Value. Culinary Science and Hospitality Research, 24(2), 1-7.
- Csikzentmihalyi, M. (1975). Beyond boredom and anxiety. (1st ed.) San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
- Csikszentmihalyi, M. (2002). Flow: The Classic Work On How To Achieve Happiness: The Psychology of Happiness, Rider, ISBN 0712657592.
- Csikszentmihalyi, M. & LeFevre, J. (1989). Optimal experience in work and leisure. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 56(5), 815-822.
- Csikszentmihalyi, M. & Wong, M. M. H. (2014). The situational and personal correlates of happiness: A cross-national comparison. In Flow and The Foundations of Positive Psychology (pp. 69-88). Springer, Dordrecht.
- Danışmaz, A. T. (2021). Üçüncü dalga kahve akımının tüketicilerin kahve tüketim alışkanlıkları üzerine etkisi. Kesit Akademi Dergisi, 7(27), 441-452.
- Değerli, A. & Değerli, B. (2019). Aydınlanma çağının içeceği kahveden postmodern dönemin küresel tüketim aktörü kahveye bir yolculuk: Londra örneği. Gümüşhane Üniversitesi İletişim Fakültesi Elektronik Dergisi, 7(1), 239-269.
- Dhisasmito, P. P. & Kumar, S. (2020). Understanding customer loyalty in the coffee shop industry (A survey in Jakarta, Indonesia). British Food Journal, 122(7), 2253-2271.
- Gao, L. & Bai, X. (2014). An empirical study on continuance intention of mobile social networking services: Integrating the IS success model, network externalities and flow theory. Asia Pacific Journal of Marketing and Logistics, 26(2), 168-189.
- Han, H., Nguyen, H. N., Song, H., Chua, B. L., Lee, S. & Kim, W. (2018). Drivers of brand loyalty in the chain coffee shop industry. International Journal of Hospitality Management, 72, 86-97.
- Hair, J. F., Celsi, M. W., Money, A. H., Samouel, P. & Page, M. J. (2011). Essentials of business research methods (2nd ed.). New York: M. E.Sharpe Inc.
- Hair, J. F., Babin, B. J., Anderson, R. E. & Black, W. C. (2019). Multivariate Data Analysis (8th Ed.) Cengage Learning, EMEA. ISBN: 978-4737-5654-0.
- Hellier, P. K., Geursen, G. M., Carr, R. A. & Rickard, J. A. (2003). Customer repurchase intention: A general structural equation model. European Journal of Marketing, 37 (11/12), 1762-1800.
- Jang, H. W. & Lee, S. B. (2019). Applying effective sensory marketing to sustainable coffee shop business management. Sustainability, 11(22), 6430.
- Kang, J. W., Lee, H. & Namkung, Y. (2018). The impact of restaurant patrons’ flow experience on SNS satisfaction and offline purchase intentions. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, 30(2), 797-816.
- Kaya, B., Metin, T. & Kozak, M. A. (2015). Kapalı rekreasyon tesislerinde kullanıcıların akış deneyimi. Seyahat ve Otel İşletmeciliği Dergisi, 12 (2), 6-25.
- Kement, Ü. (2019). Üçüncü nesil kahve sunan işletmelerde hizmet kalitesi, müşteri tatmini ve davranışsal niyet incelemesi; Algılanan fiyatın düzenleyicilik rolü. Journal of Tourism and Gastronomy Studies, 7(2), 1252-1270.
- Kim, S. H., Kim, M., & Lee, S. (2019). The consumer value-based brand citizenship behavior model: Evidence from local and global coffee businesses. Journal of Hospitality Marketing & Management, 28(4), 472-490.
- Kim, Y. J., Park, J. S. & Jeon, H. M. (2021a). Experiential Value, Satisfaction, Brand Love, and Brand Loyalty toward Robot Barista Coffee Shop: The Moderating Effect of Generation. Sustainability, 13(21), 12029.
- Kim, S. H., Yoo, S. R. & Jeon, H. M. (2021b). The role of experiential value, novelty, and satisfaction in robot barista coffee shop in South Korea: COVID-19 crisis and beyond. Service Business, 1-20.
- Kim, M. (2022). How can I Be as attractive as a Fitness YouTuber in the era of COVID-19? The impact of digital attributes on flow experience, satisfaction, and behavioural intention. Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, 64, 102778.
- Kotler, P. & Armstrong, G. (2021), Principles of Marketing, Global Edition, Pearson Education Limited
- Kucuksille, E. (2014), spss applied multivariate statistics techniques, Ed. S. Kalaycı, Asil. Pub. Ankara. ISBN 9759091143.
- Kurtulus, K. (2004). Marketing Research (7th ed.). Literatur Publishing, Istanbul.
- Lee, W. S., Moon, J. & Song, M. (2018). Attributes of the coffee shop business related to customer satisfaction. Journal of Foodservice Business Research, 21(6), 628-641.
- Lu, Y., Wang, B. & Lu, Y. (2019). Understanding key drivers of MOOC satisfaction and continuance intention to use. Journal of Electronic Commerce Research, 20(2), 13.
- MacKinnon, D.P. (2001) Mediating variable. InInternational Encyclopedia of the Social & Behavioural Sciences(ed. by N.J. Smelser & B.Baltes), pp. 9503–9507. Pergamon, Oxford, UK.
- MacKinnon, D.P. (2008) Introduction to Statistical Mediation Analysis.Taylor & Francis Group, LLC, New York, London. ISBN 978-0-8058-3974-6.
- MacKinnon, D.P., Warsi, G. & Dwyer, J.H. (1995) A simulation study of mediated effect measures. Multivariate Behavioural Research, 30, 41–62.
- Min, D. (2022). Servicescape, Perceived Value, Flow and Behavioural Intention among Participants of International Outdoor Camping Exhibition. Korean Journal of Sport Science, 33(1), 125-139.
- Nakıboğlu, B (2007). Tüketimin çevreci boyutu: çevreci tutum ve davranışlara göre pazar bölümlemesi. Ç.Ü. Sosyal Bilimler Enstitüsü Dergisi, 16 (2), 423-438.
- Nakip, M. (2003). Marketing Research, Techniques and Applications. Seckin Publishing, Ankara.
- Noort, G Van., Voorveld, H. A. & Van Reijmersdal, E. A. (2012). Interactivity in brand web sites: cognitive, affective, and behavioural responses explained by consumers' online flow experience. Journal of Interactive Marketing, 26(4), 223-234.
- Oliver, R. L. (1980). A cognitive model of the antecedents and consequences of satisfaction decisions. Journal of Marketing Research, 17(4), 460-469.
- Oliver, R. L. (1999). Whence consumer loyalty? Journal of Marketing, 63(4_suppl1), 33-44.
- Ozkara, B. Y. & Ozmen, M. (2016). Akış deneyimine ilişkin kavramsal bir model önerisi. Eskişehir Osmangazi Üniversitesi İktisadi ve İdari Bilimler Dergisi, 11(3), 71-100.
- Ozkara, B. Y., Ozmen, M. & Kim, J. W. (2016). Exploring the relationship between information satisfaction and flow in the context of consumers’ online search. Computers in Human Behaviour, 63, 844-859.
- Ozkara, B. Y., Ozmen, M. & Kim, J. W. (2017). Examining the effect of flow experience on online purchase: A novel approach to the flow theory based on hedonic and utilitarian value. Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, 37, 119-131.
- Preache, K. & Leonardelli, G.J. (2012) “Calculation for the Sobel test” http://quantpsy.org/sobel/sobel.htm. (Accessed on: 13.09.2022)
- ReportLinker, (2022) “Global Coffee Shops Market to Reach $201.4 Billion by 2027”, https://www.globenewswire.com/news-release/2022/06/15/2463323/0/en/Global-Coffee-Shops-Market-to-Reach-201-4-Billion-by-2027.html, (Accessed on: 13.09.2022)
- Ryu, J. S., Kim, S. & Kim, S. H. (2022). The Structural Relationship between Surfer's Experience, Lovemark, Flow and Customer Behaviour Intention. Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, 13(5), 129-136.
- Sheth, J. (2021). New areas of research in marketing strategy, consumer behaviour, and marketing analytics: the future is bright. Journal of Marketing Theory and Practice, 29(1), 3-12.
- Sipahi, B., Yurtkoru, ES & Cinko, M. (2010), Data analysis with spss in social sciences, Beta Pub., 3rd Edition, Istanbul. ISBN 9789752951968.
- Sobel, M.E. (1982) Asymptotic intervals for indirect effects in structuralequations models. In Sociological Methodology 1982 (ed. by S.Leinhart), Jossey-Bass, San Francisco, CA.
- Son, Y. J. (2010). The effect of consumer choice attributes on customer satisfaction, revisit and word-of-mouth intention in a coffee shop. Culinary Science and Hospitality Research, 16(4), 76-93.
- Song, H., Wang, J. & Han, H. (2019). Effect of image, satisfaction, trust, love, and respect on loyalty formation for name-brand coffee shops. International Journal of Hospitality Management, 79, 50-59.
- Susanty, A. & Kenny, E. (2015). The relationship between brand equity, customer satisfaction, and brand loyalty on coffee shop: Study of Excelso and Starbucks. ASEAN Marketing Journal, 14-27.
- Turan, N. (2019). Akış deneyimi üzerine genel bir literatür taraması. Pamukkale Üniversitesi Sosyal Bilimler Enstitüsü Dergisi, 37, 181-199.
- Yilmaz, V. & Dalbudak, Z. İ. (2018). Araci Değişken Etkisinin İncelenmesi: Yüksek Hizli Tren İşletmeciliği Üzerine Bir Uygulama. Uluslararası Yönetim İktisat ve İşletme Dergisi, 14(2), 517-534.
- Zeithaml, V. A., Berry, L. L. & Parasuraman, A. (1996). The behavioural consequences of service quality. Journal of Marketing, 60(2), 31-46.