A systematic review of e-commerce websites literature in 2010-2020 period
- E-ticaret, Web siteleri, Literatür Araştırması, Web of Science (WOS)
- E-commerce, Websites, Literature Review, Web of Science (WOS)
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2022 Kadir ÖZDEMİR- Ramazan NACAR
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
In parallel with the increasing e-commerce usage rates worldwide, academic papers on e-commerce have increased in the last decade. In this regard, in this study, the papers on e-commerce indexed in the Web of Science (WOS) database between 2010 and 2020 are examined and discussed by journals, published years, countries, sample size, main purposes, theories, variables and main findings. Therefore, 70 selected research articles were examined. The selection criteria of these articles are to be research articles and to collect data from consumers using e-commerce websites. Therefore, 70 selected articles were examined and evaluated by using the content analysis method. As a result of the analysis, selected articles are summarised in Appendix 1. The selected articles have some common inferences: the reputation of websites, size of websites, familiarity, perceived ease of use, recommendations, design, convenience, perceived usefulness, system quality, service quality and information quality in e-commerce positively influence perceived trust and purchase intention of consumers. Also, the perceived trust of the consumers positively affects their purchase and repurchase intention. Besides that, perceived usefulness, perceived ease of use, perceived value and perceived risk are important determinants of consumers' purchase and repurchase intention in e-commerce. Finally, perceived risk negatively affects the perception and purchase intention of consumers.
- Agag, G., & El-Masry, A. A. (2016). Understanding consumer intention to participate in online travel community and effects on consumer intention to purchase travel online and WOM: An integration of innovation diffusion theory and TAM with trust. Computers in human behavior, 60, 97-111.
- Agag, G. M., & El-Masry, A. A. (2017). Why do consumers trust online travel websites? Drivers and outcomes of consumer trust toward online travel websites. Journal of Travel Research, 56(3), 347-369.
- Baourakis, G., Kourgiantakis, M., & Migdalas, A. (2002). The impact of e‐commerce on agro‐food marketing: The case of agricultural cooperatives, firms and consumers in Crete. British food journal. 104(8), 580-590.
- Benlian, A., Titah, R., & Hess, T. (2012). Differential effects of provider recommendations and consumer reviews in e-commerce transactions: An experimental study. Journal of Management Information Systems, 29(1), 237-272.
- Bilgihan, A., & Bujisic, M. (2015). The effect of website features in online relationship marketing: A case of online hotel booking. Electronic commerce research and applications, 14(4), 222-232.
- Bilgihan, A. (2016). Gen Y consumer loyalty in online shopping: An integrated model of trust, user experience and branding. Computers in Human Behavior, 61, 103-113.
- Bock, G. W., Lee, J., Kuan, H. H., & Kim, J. H. (2012). The progression of online trust in the multi-channel retailer context and the role of product uncertainty. Decision Support Systems, 53(1), 97-107.
- Buhalis, D., López, E. P., & Martinez-Gonzalez, J. A. (2020). Influence of young consumers' external and internal variables on their e-loyalty to tourism sites. Journal of Destination Marketing & Management, 15, 100409.
- Chen, X., Huang, Q., Davison, R. M., & Hua, Z. (2015). What drives trust transfer? The moderating roles of seller-specific and general institutional mechanisms. International Journal of Electronic Commerce, 20(2), 261-289.
- Chen, J., Teng, L., Yu, Y., & Yu, X. (2016). The effect of online information sources on purchase intentions between consumers with high and low susceptibility to informational influence. Journal of Business Research, 69(2), 467-475.
- Chen, X., Huang, Q., & Davison, R. M. (2017). The role of website quality and social capital in building buyers' loyalty. International Journal of Information Management, 37(1), 1563-1574.
- Cheng, H. H., & Huang, S. W. (2013). Exploring antecedents and consequence of online group-buying intention: An extended perspective on theory of planned behavior. International Journal of Information Management, 33(1), 185-198.
- Chiu, C. M., Huang, H. Y., & Yen, C. H. (2010). Antecedents of trust in online auctions. Electronic Commerce Research and Applications, 9(2), 148-159.
- Chiu, C. M., Wang, E. T., Fang, Y. H., & Huang, H. Y. (2014). Understanding consumers' repeat purchase intentions in B2C e‐commerce: the roles of utilitarian value, hedonic value and perceived risk. Information Systems Journal, 24(1), 85-114.
- Clemes, M. D., Gan, C., & Zhang, J. (2014). An empirical analysis of online shopping adoption in Beijing, China. Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, 21(3), 364-375.
- Diaz, E. R., Encomienda, F. J. B., & Almendros, E. C. (2020). A cross-cultural analysis of perceived product quality, perceived risk and purchase intention in e-commerce platforms. Journal of Enterprise Information Management. 33(1), 139-160.
- Eid, M. I. (2011). Determinants of e-commerce consumer satisfaction, trust, and loyalty in Saudi Arabia. Journal of Electronic Commerce Research, 12(1), 78-93.
- Elbeltagi, I., & Agag, G. (2016). E-retailing ethics and its impact on consumer satisfaction and repurchase intention: a cultural and commitment-trust theory perspective. Internet Research. 26(1), 288-310.
- Fang, Y. H., Chiu, C. M., & Wang, E. T. (2011). Understanding consumers' satisfaction and repurchase intentions: An integration of IS success model, trust, and justice. Internet research. 21(4), 479-503.
- Fang, Y., Qureshi, I., Sun, H., McCole, P., Ramsey, E., & Lim, K. H. (2014). Trust, satisfaction, and online repurchase intention. Mis Quarterly, 38(2), 407-427.
- Fang, J., Wen, C., George, B., & Prybutok, V. R. (2016). Consumer heterogeneity, perceived value, and repurchase decision-making in online shopping: The role of gender, age, and shopping motives. Journal of Electronic Commerce Research, 17(2), 116-131.
- Faraoni, M., Rialti, R., Zollo, L., & Pellicelli, A. C. (2019). Exploring e-Loyalty Antecedents in B2C e-Commerce: Empirical results from Italian grocery retailers. British Food Journal. 121(2), 574-589.
- Faqih, K. M. (2016). An empirical analysis of factors predicting the behavioral intention to adopt Internet shopping technology among non-shoppers in a developing country context: Does gender matter?. Journal of retailing and consumer services, 30, 140-164.
- Floh, A., & Madlberger, M. (2013). The role of atmospheric cues in online impulse-buying behavior. Electronic Commerce Research and Applications, 12(6), 425-439.
- Hallikainen, H., & Laukkanen, T. (2018). National culture and consumer trust in e-commerce. International Journal of Information Management, 38(1), 97-106.
- Hasan, B. (2016). Perceived irritation in online shopping: The impact of website design characteristics. Computers in Human Behavior, 54, 224-230.
- Hernández, B., Jiménez, J., & Martín, M. J. (2010). Consumer behavior in electronic commerce: The moderating effect of e-purchasing experience. Journal of Business Research, 63(9-10), 964-971.
- Hernández, B., Jiménez, J., & Martín, M. J. (2011). Age, gender and income: do they really moderate online shopping behaviour?. Online Information Review. 35(1), 113-133
- Hsiao, K. L., Lin, J. C. C., Wang, X. Y., Lu, H. P., & Yu, H. (2010). Antecedents and consequences of trust in online product recommendations: An empirical study in social shopping. Online Information Review. 34(6), 935-953.
- Hsu, M. H., Chang, C. M., Chu, K. K., & Lee, Y. J. (2014). Determinants of repurchase intention in online group-buying: The perspectives of DeLone & McLean IS success model and trust. Computers in Human Behavior, 36, 234-245.
- Huang, Q., Chen, X., Ou, C. X., Davison, R. M., & Hua, Z. (2017). Understanding buyers' loyalty to a C2C platform: the roles of social capital, satisfaction and perceived effectiveness of e‐commerce institutional mechanisms. Information systems journal, 27(1), 91-119.
- Hwang, Y. (2010). The moderating effects of gender on e-commerce systems adoption factors: An empirical investigation. Computers in Human Behavior, 26(6), 1753-1760.
- Jiang, L. A., Yang, Z., & Jun, M. (2013). Measuring consumer perceptions of online shopping convenience. Journal of Service management. 24(2), 191-214.
- Jiang, L., Jun, M., & Yang, Z. (2016). Consumer-perceived value and loyalty: how do key service quality dimensions matter in the context of B2C e-commerce?. Service Business, 10(2), 301-317.
- Kim, C., Mirusmonov, M., & Lee, I. (2010). An empirical examination of factors influencing the intention to use mobile payment. Computers in Human Behavior, 26(3), 310-322.
- Kim, J. U., Kim, W. J., & Park, S. C. (2010). Consumer perceptions on web advertisements and motivation factors to purchase in the online shopping. Computers in human behavior, 26(5), 1208-1222.
- Kim, M. J., Chung, N., & Lee, C. K. (2011). The effect of perceived trust on electronic commerce: Shopping online for tourism products and services in South Korea. Tourism Management, 32(2), 256-265.
- Kim, C., Galliers, R. D., Shin, N., Ryoo, J. H., & Kim, J. (2012). Factors influencing Internet shopping value and consumer repurchase intention. Electronic Commerce Research and Applications, 11(4), 374-387.
- Kim, H. W., Xu, Y., & Gupta, S. (2012). Which is more important in Internet shopping, perceived price or trust?. Electronic Commerce Research and Applications, 11(3), 241-252.
- Koch, J., Frommeyer, B., & Schewe, G. (2020). Online shopping motives during the COVID-19 pandemic—lessons from the crisis. Sustainability, 12(24), 10247.
- Lee, Y., & Kozar, K. A. (2012). Understanding of website usability: Specifying and measuring constructs and their relationships. Decision support systems, 52(2), 450-463.
- Lee, S. W., Sung, H. J., & Jeon, H. M. (2019). Determinants of continuous intention on food delivery apps: extending UTAUT2 with information quality. Sustainability, 11(11), 3141.
- Liang, T. P., Ho, Y. T., Li, Y. W., & Turban, E. (2011). What drives social commerce: The role of social support and relationship quality. International journal of electronic commerce, 16(2), 69-90.
- Li, H., Fang, Y., Wang, Y., Lim, K. H., & Liang, L. (2015). Are all signals equal? Investigating the differential effects of online signals on the sales performance of emarketplace sellers. Information Technology and People, 28(3), 699–723.
- Lu, Y., Zhao, L., & Wang, B. (2010). From virtual community members to C2C e-commerce buyers: Trust in virtual communities and its effect on consumers' purchase intention. Electronic Commerce Research and Applications, 9(4), 346-360.
- Lu, Y., Guo, C., Lu, Y., & Gupta, S. (2018). The role of online communication in avoiding perceived restrictiveness of shopping websites: A social learning theory perspective. Nankai Business Review International. 9(2), 143-161.
- Luo, N., Wang, Y., Zhang, M., Niu, T., & Tu, J. (2020). Integrating community and e-commerce to build a trusted online second-hand platform: Based on the perspective of social capital. Technological Forecasting and Social Change, 153, 119913.
- Mavlanova, T., Benbunan-Fich, R., & Lang, G. (2016). The role of external and internal signals in E-commerce. Decision Support Systems, 87, 59-68.
- Nanehkaran, A. Y. (2013). Introduction to electronic commerce. International Journal of Scientific & Technology Researh, 2(4), 190–193.
- Natarajan, T., Balasubramanian, S. A., & Kasilingam, D. L. (2017). Understanding the intention to use mobile shopping applications and its influence on price sensitivity. Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, 37, 8-22.
- Nilashi, M., Jannach, D., bin Ibrahim, O., Esfahani, M. D., & Ahmadi, H. (2016). Recommendation quality, transparency, and website quality for trust-building in recommendation agents. Electronic Commerce Research and Applications, 19, 70-84.
- Oliveira, T., Alhinho, M., Rita, P., & Dhillon, G. (2017). Modelling and testing consumer trust dimensions in e-commerce. Computers in Human Behavior, 71, 153-164.
- Ongsakul, V., Ali, F., Wu, C., Duan, Y., Cobanoglu, C., & Ryu, K. (2020). Hotel website quality, performance, telepresence and behavioral intentions. Tourism Review. 75(3), 681-700.
- Pappas, I. O., Kourouthanassis, P. E., Giannakos, M. N., & Lekakos, G. (2017). The interplay of online shopping motivations and experiential factors on personalised e-commerce: A complexity theory approach. Telematics and Informatics, 34(5), 730-742.
- Ponte, E. B., Trujillo, C., E., & Rodríguez, E., T. (2015). Influence of trust and perceived value on the intention to purchase travel online: Integrating the effects of assurance on trust antecedents. Tourism Management, 47, 286-302.
- Rezaei, S., Ali, F., Amin, M., & Jayashree, S. (2016). Online impulse buying of tourism products: The role of web site personality, utilitarian and hedonic web browsing. Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Technology. 7(1), 60-83.
- Rodríguez, E., T., & Trujillo, C., E. (2014). Online purchasing tickets for low cost carriers: An application of the unified theory of acceptance and use of technology (UTAUT) model. Tourism Management, 43, 70-88.
- Sharma, V. M., & Klein, A. (2020). Consumer perceived value, involvement, trust, susceptibility to interpersonal influence, and intention to participate in online group buying. Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, 52, 101946.
- Shen, J. (2012). Social comparison, social presence, and enjoyment in the acceptance of social shopping websites. Journal of Electronic Commerce Research, 13(3), 198-212.
- Shiau, W-L, & Luo, M. M. (2012). Factors affecting online group buying intention and satisfaction: A social exchange theory perspective. Computers in Human Behavior, 28(6), 2431–2444.
- Sohaib, O., Kang, K., & Miliszewska, I. (2019). Uncertainty avoidance and consumer cognitive innovativeness in e-commerce. Journal of Global Information Management (JGIM), 27(2), 59-77.
- Statista (2022). Internet usage worldwide. Statistics and facts. Retrieved from https://www.statista.com/topics/1145/internet-usage-worldwide/#dossierKeyfigures. Date of access: 25.01.202.
- Sullivan, Y. W., & Kim, D. J. (2018). Assessing the effects of consumers' product evaluations and trust on repurchase intention in e-commerce environments. International Journal of Information Management, 39, 199-219.
- Udo, G. J., Bagchi, K. K., & Kirs, P. J. (2010). An assessment of consumers'e-service quality perception, satisfaction and intention. International Journal of Information Management, 30(6), 481-492.
- Wang, W. T., Wang, Y. S., & Liu, E. R. (2016). The stickiness intention of group-buying websites: The integration of the commitment–trust theory and e-commerce success model. Information & Management, 53(5), 625-642.
- Weisberg, J., Te'eni, D., & Arman, L. (2011). Past purchase and intention to purchase in e‐commerce: The mediation of social presence and trust. Internet research. 21(1), 82-96.
- Wells, J. D., Valacich, J. S., & Hess, T. J. (2011). What signal are you sending? How website quality influences perceptions of product quality and purchase intentions. MIS quarterly, 373-396.
- Wells, J. D., Parboteeah, V., & Valacich, J. S. (2011). Online impulse buying: understanding the interplay between consumer impulsiveness and website quality. Journal of the Association for Information Systems, 12(1), 32-56.
- Wen, C., Prybutok, V. R., & Xu, C. (2011). An integrated model for consumer online repurchase intention. Journal of Computer Information Systems, 52(1), 14-23.
- Yan, Q., Wu, S., Wang, L., Wu, P., Chen, H., & Wei, G. (2016). E-WOM from e-commerce websites and social media: Which will consumers adopt?. Electronic Commerce Research and Applications, 17, 62-73.
- Yeo, V. C. S., Goh, S. K., & Rezaei, S. (2017). Consumer experiences, attitude and behavioral intention toward online food delivery (OFD) services. Journal of Retailing and Consumer services, 35, 150-162.
- Yoon, H. S., & Occena, L. G. (2015). Influencing factors of trust in consumer-to-consumer electronic commerce with gender and age. International journal of information management, 35(3), 352-363.
- Zhang, Y., Fang, Y., Wei, K. K., Ramsey, E., McCole, P., & Chen, H. (2011). Repurchase intention in B2C e-commerce—A relationship quality perspective. Information & Management, 48(6), 192-200.
- Zhu, W., Mou, J., & Benyoucef, M. (2019). Exploring purchase intention in cross-border E-commerce: A three stage model. Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, 51, 320-330.