Impact of corporate social responsibility performed by Turkish banks related to COVID-19 on customer satisfaction and loyalty
- Kurumsal Sosyal Sorumluluk, COVİD-19, Kurumsal İmaj, Kurumsal Değerlendirme, Müşteri Memnuniyeti, Müşteri Sadakati
- Corporate Social Responsibility, COVID-19, Corporate Image, Corporate Evaluation, Customer Satisfaction, Customer Loyalty
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2022 Sefa Emre YILMAZEL- Aslı ÇİLLİOĞLU KARADEMİR
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
The study aims to evaluate the support provided by banks in the COVID-19 era and to investigate the effect on consumer preferences. In this direction, the effects of CSR variables (economic, legal, ethical, philanthropic) and corporate interactions (corporate image, CSR trust, corporate evaluation) on consumer preferences (customer satisfaction, customer loyalty) were investigated. The study collected data from bank customers who showed corporate social responsibility practices; in total, 346 data were collected in Turkey. Confirmatory factor analysis and path analysis were performed in the Amos 22.0 program. The results of this study demonstrated that the impact of CSR variables on corporate image, trust and evaluation had been proven. While economic and ethical responsibilities positively affect the corporate image, legal and philanthropic responsibilities increase consumers’ trust. In addition, legal responsibilities positively affect consumers' evaluation of the banks. The results also confirm that corporate image, trust and evaluation affect customer satisfaction and loyalty. With this study, it will be possible to improve the behaviour of banks in this direction in times of crisis by revealing the preferences of bank customers for corporate social responsibility components.
- Abbas, M., Gao, Y., & Shah, S. S. H. (2018). CSR and customer outcomes: The mediating role of customer engagement. Sustainability, 10(11), 4243.
- Afthanorhan, W. M. A. B. W. (2013). A comparison of partial least square structural equation modeling (PLS-SEM) and covariance based structural equation modeling (CB-SEM) for confirmatory factor analysis. International Journal of Engineering Science and Innovative Technology, 2(5), 198-205.
- Akbari, M., Mehrali, M., SeyyedAmiri, N., Rezaei, N., & Pourjam, A. (2019). Corporate social responsibility, customer loyalty and brand positioning. Social Responsibility Journal.
- Ali, R., Sial, M. S., Brugni, T. V., Hwang, J., Khuong, N. V., & Khanh, T. H. T. (2019). Does CSR moderate the relationship between corporate governance and Chinese firm’s financial performance? Evidence from the Shanghai Stock Exchange (SSE) firms. Sustainability, 12(1), 149.
- Ariani, S., Firdaus, M. R., & Hairudinor, H. (2019). Analysis Of The Influence Of Service Quality, Price, Trust And Corporate Image On Satisfaction And Customer Loyalty In Pt. Pos Indonesia Banjarmasin. European Journal of Management and Marketing Studies.
- Boronat-Navarro, M., & Pérez-Aranda, J. A. (2019). Consumers’ perceived corporate social responsibility evaluation and support: The moderating role of consumer information. Tourism Economics, 25(4), 613-638.
- Byrne, B. M. (2013). Structural equation modeling with Mplus: Basic concepts, applications, and programming. routledge.
- Carroll, A. B. (1979). A three-dimensional conceptual model of corporate performance. Academy of Management Review, 4(4), 497-505.
- Carroll, A. B. (1991). The pyramid of corporate social responsibility: Toward the moral management of organizational stakeholders. Business Horizons, 34(4), 39-48.
- Carroll, A. B. (1999). Corporate social responsibility: Evolution of a definitional construct. Business & society, 38(3), 268-295.
- Cha, J. B., & Jo, M. N. (2019). The effect of the corporate social responsibility of franchise coffee shops on corporate image and behavioral intention. Sustainability, 11(23), 6849.
- Chen, X., & Huang, R. (2018). The impact of diverse corporate social responsibility practices on consumer product evaluations. Journal of Product & Brand Management.
- Chen, Z., Hang, H., Pavelin, S., & Porter, L. (2020). Corporate social (ir) responsibility and corporate hypocrisy: Warmth, motive and the protective value of corporate social responsibility. Business Ethics Quarterly, 30(4), 486-524.
- Chien, L., & Chi, S. (2019). Corporate image as a mediator between service quality and customer satisfaction: difference across categorized exhibitors. Heliyon, 5(3), e01307.
- Chung, K. H., Yu, J. E., Choi, M. G., & Shin, J. I. (2015). The effects of CSR on customer satisfaction and loyalty in China: the moderating role of corporate image. Journal of Economics, Business and Management, 3(5), 542-547.
- Emmanuel, B., & Priscilla, O. A. (2022). A Review of Corporate Social Responsibility and Its Relationship with Customer Satisfaction and Corporate Image. Open Journal of Business and Management, 10(2), 715-728.
- Famiyeh, S., Asante-Darko, D., & Kwarteng, A. (2018). Service quality, customer satisfaction, and loyalty in the banking sector: The moderating role of organizational culture. International Journal of Quality & Reliability Management.
- Fida, B. A., Ahmed, U., Al-Balushi, Y., & Singh, D. (2020). Impact of service quality on customer loyalty and customer satisfaction in islamic banks in the Sultanate of Oman. Sage Open, 10(2), 2158244020919517.
- Fornell, C., & Larcker, D. F. (1981). Evaluating structural equation models with unobservable variables and measurement error. Journal of marketing research, 18(1), 39-50.
- Freeman, R.E. (1984). Strategic Management: A Stakeholder Approach. Pitman Publishing.
- Geebren, A., Jabbar, A., & Luo, M. (2021). Examining the role of consumer satisfaction within mobile eco-systems: Evidence from mobile banking services. Computers in Human Behavior, 114, 106584.
- Ghaderi, Z., Mirzapour, M., Henderson, J. C., & Richardson, S. (2019). Corporate social responsibility and hotel performance: A view from Tehran, Iran. Tourism Management Perspectives, 29, 41-47.
- Hair Jr, J. F., Sarstedt, M., Hopkins, L., & Kuppelwieser, V. G. (2014). Partial least squares structural equation modeling (PLS-SEM): An emerging tool in business research. European business review.
- Hair, J. F., Black, W. C., Babin, B. J., & Anderson, R. E. (2010). Multivariate data analysis: International version. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson Education. Haley, RI (1968). Benefit segmentation: a decision-oriented research tool. The Journal of Marketing, 32(3), 30-35.
- Irshad, A., Rahim, A., Khan, M. F., & Khan, M. M. (2017). The impact of corporate social responsibility on customer satisfaction and customer loyalty, moderating effect of corporate image. City University Research Journal, 1(1), 63-73.
- Kim, M. S., & Thapa, B. (2018). Relationship of ethical leadership, corporate social responsibility and organizational performance. Sustainability, 10(2), 447.
- Kim, M., Yin, X., & Lee, G. (2020). The effect of CSR on corporate image, customer citizenship behaviors, and customers’ long-term relationship orientation. International Journal of Hospitality Management, 88, 102520.
- Kim, J. S., Song, H., Lee, C. K., & Lee, J. Y. (2017). The impact of four CSR dimensions on a gaming company’s image and customers’ revisit intentions. International Journal of Hospitality Management, 61, 73-81.
- Kline, R. B. (2015). Principles and practice of structural equation modeling. Guilford publications.
- Lantos, G. P. (2001). The boundaries of strategic corporate social responsibility. Journal of consumer marketing.
- Latif, K. F., Bunce, L., & Ahmad, M. S. (2021). How can universities improve student loyalty? The roles of university social responsibility, service quality, and “customer” satisfaction and trust. International Journal of Educational Management.
- Leninkumar, V. (2017). The relationship between customer satisfaction and customer trust on customer loyalty. International Journal of Academic Research in Business and Social Sciences, 7(4), 450-465.
- Lentner, C., Szegedi, K., & Tatay, T. (2015). Corporate social responsibility in the banking sector. Pénzügyi Szemle/Public Finance Quarterly, 60(1), 95-103.
- Lin, X., Wang, X., & Hajli, N. (2019). Building e-commerce satisfaction and boosting sales: The role of social commerce trust and its antecedents. International Journal of Electronic Commerce, 23(3), 328-363.
- Lu, J., Ren, L., Zhang, C., Wang, C., Shahid, Z., & Streimikis, J. (2020). The influence of a firm’s CSR initiatives on brand loyalty and brand image. Journal of Competitiveness, 12(2), 106.
- Manuel, T., & Herron, T. L. (2020). An ethical perspective of business CSR and the COVID-19 pandemic. Society and Business Review.
- Muflih, M. (2021). The link between corporate social responsibility and customer loyalty: Empirical evidence from the Islamic banking industry. Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, 61, 102558.
- Nengsih, T. A., Nofrianto, E. R., & Uriawan, W. (2021). Corporate Social Responsibility on Image and Trust of Bank Syariah Mandiri'. Al-Iqtishad: Jurnal Ilmu Ekonomi Syariah (Journal of Islamic Economics), 13(1).
- Nunnally, J. C. (1978). An overview of psychological measurement. Clinical diagnosis of mental disorders, 97-146.
- Hoang, D. P., & Nguyen, N. H. (2019). Retaining online customers: Information quality as a sign of corporate social responsibility. International Journal of Business and Society, 20(2), 482-500.
- Palacios-Florencio, B., Garcia del Junco, J., Castellanos-Verdugo, M., & Rosa-Díaz, I. M. (2018). Trust as mediator of corporate social responsibility, image and loyalty in the hotel sector. Journal of Sustainable Tourism, 26(7), 1273-1289.
- Park, E., Kim, K. J., & Kwon, S. J. (2017). Corporate social responsibility as a determinant of consumer loyalty: An examination of ethical standard, satisfaction, and trust. Journal of business research, 76, 8-13.
- Pasharibu, Y., Paramita, E. L., & Febrianto, S. (2018). Price, service quality and trust on online transportation towards customer satisfaction. Jurnal Ekonomi dan Bisnis, 21(2), 241-266.
- Pratihari, S. K., & Uzma, S. H. (2018). CSR and corporate branding effect on brand loyalty: a study on Indian banking industry. Journal of Product & Brand Management.
- Purwanto, E., Deviny, J., & Mutahar, A. M. (2020). The mediating role of trust in the relationship between corporate image, security, word of mouth and loyalty in M-banking using among the millennial generation in Indonesia. Management & Marketing, 15(2), 255-274.
- Serrano Archimi, C., Reynaud, E., Yasin, H. M., & Bhatti, Z. A. (2018). How perceived corporate social responsibility affects employee cynicism: The mediating role of organizational trust. Journal of Business Ethics, 151(4), 907-921.
- Singh, K., & Misra, M. (2021). Linking corporate social responsibility (CSR) and organizational performance: The moderating effect of corporate reputation. European Research on Management and Business Economics, 27(1), 100139.
- Tabachnick, B. G., & Fidell, L. S. (2001). SAS for windows workbook for Tabachnick and Fidell using multivariate statistics. Allyn and Bacon.
- Tabachnick, B. G., & Fidell, L. S. (2013). Using multivariate statistics: International edition. Pearson2012.
- Tian, Z., Wang, R., & Yang, W. (2011). Consumer responses to corporate social responsibility (CSR) in China. Journal of business ethics, 101(2), 197-212.
- Virvilaite, R., & Daubaraite, U. (2011). Corporate social responsibility in forming corporate image. Inžinerinė ekonomika, 22(5), 534-543.
- Yoo, D., & Lee, J. (2018). The effects of corporate social responsibility (CSR) fit and CSR consistency on company evaluation: The role of CSR support. Sustainability, 10(8), 2956.
- Yu, J., Jiang, C., Zhuang, X., Na, S., & Cui, Z. (2020). The formation mechanism of consumer perceived corporate social responsibility authenticity: an empirical study of Chinese consumers. Sustainability, 12(6), 2479.
- Zhang, Y., & Cui, M. (2020). The impact of Corporate Social Responsibility on the enterprise value of China’s listed coal enterprises. The Extractive Industries and Society, 7(1), 138-145.