The effects of physical activity on anger expression style in healthcare professionals
- Fiziksel Aktivite, Öfke Ifade Tarzı, Sağlık Çalışanları
- Physical Activity, Anger Expression Style, Healthcare Professionals
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2022 Yener AKSOY- Abdurrahman Yunus SARIYILDIZ
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Individuals engage in physical activity to protect their health and meet the conditions for a healthy life. According to the Turkish Language Association, anger is an aggressive response to frustration, hurt or inhibition, rage, fury and wrath. Although the resulting situation differs from person to person, it can vary from the simplest to the most intense anger. For this reason, anger is evaluated according to how it is expressed. It varies from person to person, which can be stated as anger in, anger out and anger control. Healthcare professionals work in stressed environments as a result of the work they do. They are also exposed to anger and violence from time to time. They manage their anger expression styles due to caring for human life. This study examines the effects of physical activity on anger expression styles in healthcare professionals. According to the results of the study, it was found that male healthcare professionals had higher anger expression styles when compared with female healthcare professionals. It was also found that healthcare professionals who were not engaged in sports had higher anger levels and expression styles. Another result was the higher anger and expression styles of healthcare professionals who smoked and used alcohol. According to the results of the study, healthcare professionals’ anger control styles which result from their characteristics, can be balanced with the training given to them. Decreasing cigarette and alcohol use will be important in balancing anger styles. In order to balance the anger expression styles of healthcare professionals, sports fields can be created where they can do physical activity.
- Ata, S. ve Akman, B., (2012). The trait anger and anger explanation styles of preschool teachers, Procedia - Social and Behavioural Sciences 46, 5163 – 5167
- Bengoechea, E.G., Clifford, A.M., Gallagher, S., O’ Regan, A., O’Sullivan, N., Casey, M., Glynn, L., Macken, P., Sweeney, J., Donnelly, A., Murphy, A. & Woods, C.B., (2021). Juggling with theory, evidence, practice, and real-world circumstances: Development of a complex community intervention to increase physical activity in inactive adults aged 50 years and older – The Move for Life Study, Evaluation and Program Planning 89, 101983, 1-10, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.evalprogplan.2021.101983
- Bentzen, M., Brurok, B., Roeleveld, K., Hoff, M., Jahnsen, R., Wouda, M.F. & Baumgart, J.K., (2021). Changes in physical activity and basic psychological needs related to mental health among people with physical disability during the Covid-19 pandemic in Norway, Disability and Health Journal, 101126, 1-7, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dhjo.2021.101126
- Bischoff, L.L., Otto, A.K., Hold, C. & Wollesen, B., (2019). The effect of physical activity interventions on occupational stress for health personnel: A systematic review, International Journal of Nursing Studies 97 (2019) 94–104 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2019.06.002
- Darrell-Berry, H., Bucci, S., Palmier-Claus, J., Emsley, R., Drake, R. & Berry, K., (2017). Predictors and mediators of trait anger across the psychosis continuum: The role of attachment style, paranoia and social cognition, Psychiatry Research 249, 132–138, https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.psychres.2017.01.007
- Fernandez, E., Callen, A., Johnson, S.l., Gaspar, C., Kulhanek, C. & Jose-Bueno, C., (2020). Prevalence, elicitors, and expression of anger in 21st century mass shootings, Aggression and Violent Behaviour 55 101483, 1-7, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.avb.2020.101483
- Kim, YR, Choi, H.G., & Yeom, HA, (2019). Relationships between exercise behaviour and anger control of hospital nurses, Asian Nursing Research 13, 86-91
- Koh, K.B., Kim, D.K., Kim, S.Y., Park, J.K. & Han, M., (2008). The relation between anger management style, mood and somatic symptoms in anxiety disorders and somatoform disorders, Psychiatry Research 160, 372–379
- Lafuente, J.C., Zubiaur, M. & Guti´errez-García, C., (2021). Effects of martial arts and combat sports training on anger and aggression: A systematic review, Aggression and Violent Behaviour 58, 101611, 1-11, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.avb.2021.101611
- Mert, E., Demirkıran, F. & Adana, F., (2019). Hemşirelik Öğrencilerinde Kişilerarası İlişki Boyutları ve Sürekli Öfke–Öfke İfade Tarzları Arasındaki İlişki, Medical Sciences (NWSAMS), 14(2):122-132, DOI: 10.12739/NWSA.2019.14.2.1B0073
- Moron, M. & Moron, M.B. (2021) Emotional awareness and relational aggression: The roles of anger and maladaptive anger regulation, Personality and Individual Differences 173, 110646, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.paid.2021.110646
- Murtagh, E., Shalash, A., Martin, R. & Abu Rmeileh, N., (2021). Measurement and prevalence of adult physical activity levels in Arab countries, Public Health 198 (2021) 129-140, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.puhe.2021.07.010
- Öner N, 1996. Turkiyede kullanilan psikolojik testler bir basvuru kaynagi. 2. Baskı, İstanbul. Bogazici Universitesi Yayinlari.
- Petersen, J.M., Kemps, E., Lewis, L.K. & Prichard, I. (2021). Promoting physical activity during the COVID-19 lockdown in Australia: The roles of psychological predictors and commercial physical activity apps, Psychology of Sport & Exercise 56, 102002, 1-8, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.psychsport.2021.102002
- Savaşır I. & Şahin N.H., 1997. Bilişsel-davranışçı terapilerde değerlendirme: Sık kullanılan ölçekler. Ankara: Türk Psikologlar Derneği Yayınları.
- Yamaguchi, A., Kim, M.S., Oshio, A. & Akutsu, S., (2017). The role of anger regulation on perceived stress status and physical health, Personality and Individual Differences 116, 240–245, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.paid.2017.03.053
- Yerlisu Lapa, T., Aksoy, D., Certel, Z., Çalışkan, E., Özçelik, M.A. & Çelik, G., (2013). 3rd World Conference on Learning, Teaching and Educational Leadership (WCLTA-2012) Evaluation of trait anger and anger expression in taekwondo athletes in relation to gender and success, Procedia - Social and Behavioural Sciences 93, 1976 – 1979