The effect of Instagram influencers’ characteristics on attitude towards the brand and purchase intention
- Sosyal Medya Pazarlaması, Fenomen Pazarlama, Tutum, Satın Alma Niyeti
- Social Media Marketing, Influencer Marketing, Attitude, Purchase Intentions
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2022 Abdullah Abbas Ali ALİ- Volkan TEMİZKAN
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Today, as consumers spend more time on social media, the impact of social media influencers on their followers grows. This study examined the effects of Instagram influencers' attractiveness, trustworthiness and expertise on the attitude and intent to purchase the brand they promote. The research population comprises Karabuk University students who follow at least one Instagram influencer promoting products. Using structural equation modelling, 343 data collected from this population via convenient sampling were analyzed. According to the analysis results, the trustworthiness and expertise of the influencer had a positive and significant effect on the attitude towards the brand that the influencer promoted. Furthermore, observations indicate that the attractiveness of the influencer and the attitude toward the brand has a significant and positive impact on the purchase intent for the brand. For this reason, advertisers should be cautious when selecting the influencers they will use to create a brand attitude, opting for those who are perceived as experts and trustworthy in their respective fields. They may prefer to collaborate with attractive influencers to generate purchase intentions.
- Aaker, D. A. ve Myers. J. G. (1987). Advertising Management. Englewood Cliffs. NJ: Prentice-Hall.
- Abzari, M., Ghassemi, R. A. ve Vosta, L. N. (2014). Analysing the effect of social media on brand attitude and purchase intention: The case of Iran Khodro Company. Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences, 143, 822-826.
- Altunışık, R., Özdemir, Ş. ve Torlak, Ö. (2020). Pazarlama İlkeleri ve Yönetimi. İstanbul: Beta.
- Balabanis, G. ve Chatzopoulou, E. (2019). Under the influence of a blogger: The role of information‐seeking goals and issue involvement. Psychology & Marketing, 36(4), 342-353.
- Baruh, L. ve Cemalcılar, Z. (2018). When more is more? The impact of breadth and depth of information disclosure on attributional confidence about and interpersonal attraction to a social network site profile owner. Cyberpsychology: Journal of Psychosocial Research on Cyberspace, 12(1).
- Batra, R. ve Ray, M. L. (1986). Affective acceptance responses of mediating advertising. Journal of Consumer Research, 13(2), 234-249.
- Belanche, D., Casaló, L. V., Flavián, M. ve Ibáñez-Sánchez, S. (2021). Building influencers' credibility on Instagram: Effects on followers’ attitudes and behavioral responses toward the influencer. Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, 61, 75-85.
- Brown, M. ve Cudeck, R. (1993). Alternative ways of assessing model fit. In K. A. Bollen, ve J. S. Long (Eds.), Testing structural equation models. Newbury: Sage.
- Chakraborty, U. ve Bhat, S. (2018). The effects of credible online reviews on brand equity dimensions and its consequence on consumer behavior. Journal of promotion management, 24(1), 57-82.
- Chen, J. L. ve Dermawan, A. (2020). The influence of Youtube beauty vloggers on Indonesian consumers’ purchase intention of local cosmetic products. International Journal of Business and Management, 15(5), 100-116.
- Dhanesh, G. S. ve Duthler, G. (2019). Relationship management through social media influencers: Effects of followers’ awareness of paid endorsement. Public Relations Review, 45(3), 101765.
- Djafarova, E. ve Rushworth, C. (2017). Exploring the credibility of online celebrities Instagram profiles in influencing the purchase decisions of young female users. Computers in Human Behavior, 68, 1-7.
- Dion, K., Berscheid, E. ve Walster, E. (1972). What is beautiful is good. Journal of personality and social psychology, 24(3), 285.
- Dwivedi, A., Johnson, L. W., ve McDonald, R. E. (2015). Celebrity endorsement, self-brand connection and consumer-based brand equity. Journal of Product and Brand Management, 24 (5), 449-61
- Eisend, M. (2006). Two-sided advertising: A meta-analysis. International Journal of Research In Marketing, 23(2), 187-198.
- Erdoğan, Z. (1999). Celebrity endorsement: A literature review. Journal of Marketing Management, 15(4), 291-314.
- Evans, N.J., Phua, J., Lim, J. ve Jun, H. (2017). Disclosing Instagram influencer advertising: the effects of disclosure language on advertising recognition, attitudes, and behavioral intent. Journal of Interactive Advertising, 17(2), 138-149.
- Fornell, C. R. ve Lacker, D. F. (1981). Two structural equation models with unobservable variables and measurement error. Journal of Marketing Research, 18(1), 39-50.
- Freberg, K., Graham, K., McGaughey, K. ve Freberg, L.A. (2011). Who are the social media influencers? A study of public perceptions of personality. Publ. Relat. Rev. 37, 90-92.
- Gefen, D., Straub, D.W. ve Boudreau, M. C. (2000). Structural equation modeling and regression: Guidelines for research practice. Communications of the Association for Information Systems, 4(7), 1-70.
- Giffin, K. (1967). The contribution of studies of source credibility to a theory of interpersonal trust in the communication process. Psychological Bulletin, 68 (2), 104-19.
- Glucksman, M. (2017). The rise of social media influencer marketing on lifestyle branding: A case study of lucie fink. Journal of Undergraduate Research in Communications, 8(2), 77-87.
- Han, J. ve Chen, H. (2021). Millennial social media users' intention to travel: The moderating role of social media influencer following behavior. Vol. ahead-of-print No. ahead-of-print. International Hospitality Review. https://doi.org/10.1108/IHR-11-2020-0069.
- Hoffner, C. ve Buchanan, M. (2005). Young adults' wishful identification with television characters: The role of perceived similarity and character attributes. Media psychology, 7(4), 325-351.
- Holzwarth, M., Janiszewski, C. ve Neumann, M. M. (2006). The influence of avatars on online consumer shopping behavior. Journal of Marketing, 70(4), 19-36.
- Hootsuite ve We Are Social (2022). Dijital 2022 küresel genel bakış raporu (Digital 2022 global overview report). Erişim Adresi: https://www.hootsuite.com/resources/digital-trends, Erişim Tarihi: 03.02.2022
- Horai, J., Naccari, N. ve Fatoullah, E. (1974). The effects of expertise and physical attractiveness upon opinion agreement and liking. Sociometry, 37(4), 601-606.
- Hovland, C. I. ve Weiss, W. (1951). The influence of source credibility on communication effectiveness. Public opinion quarterly, 15(4), 635-650.
- Hovland, C. I., Janis, I. L. ve Kelley, H. H. (1953). Communication and Persuasion, New Haven, CT: Yale University Press.
- Hu, L. ve Bentler, P. M. (1999). Cutoff criteria for fit indexes in covariance structure analysis: Conventiona criteria versus new alternatives. Structural Equation Modeling, 6(1), 1-55.
- Hwang, K. ve Zhang, Q. (2018). Influence of parasocial relationship between digital celebrities and their followers on followers’ purchase and electronic word-of-mouth intentions, and persuasion knowledge. Computers in Human Behavior, 87, 155-173.
- IAB-İnteraktif Reklamcılık Derneği (2020). IAB Influencer Pazarlama Araştırması Ekim 2020. Erişim Adresi: https://iabtr.org/raporlar-makaleler, Erişim Tarihi: 20.04.2022
- Jansom, A. ve Pongsakornrungsilp, S. (2021). How Instagram influencers affect the value perception of thai millennial followers and purchasing intention of luxury fashion for sustainable marketing. Sustainability, 13(15), 85-72.
- Jin, S.V. Muqaddam, A. ve Ryu, E. (2019). Instafamous and social media influencer marketing. Marketing Intelligence & Planning Journal, 37(5), 567-579.
- Jin, S.V. ve Ryu E. (2020). I’ll buy what she’s #wearing: The roles of envy toward and parasocial interaction with, influencers in instagram celebrity-based Brand endorsement and social commerce. Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services 55, 102121.
- Kelman, H. C. (1961). Processes of Opinion Change. Public Opinion Quarterly, 25, 62-66.
- Khodabandeh, A. ve Lindh, C. (2021). The importance of brands, commitment, and influencers on purchase intent in the context of online relationships. Australasian Marketing Journal, 29(2), 177-186.
- Kotler, P. ve Armstrong, G. (2012). Principles of Marketing. (14. Edition). Boston: Pearson Prentice Hall.
- Kumar, A., Lee, H. J. ve Kim, Y. K. (2009). Indian consumers' purchase intention toward a united states versus local brand. Journal of business research, 62(5), 521-527.
- Lafferty, B. A., Goldsmith, R. E. ve Newell, S. J. (2002). The dual credibility model: The influence of corporate and endorser credibility on attitudes and purchase intentions. Journal of marketing theory and practice, 10(3), 1-11.
- Lee, Y. ve Koo, J. (2015). Athlete endorsement, attitudes, and purchase intention: The interaction effect between athlete endorser-product congruence and endorser credibility. Journal of Sport Management, 29(5), 523-538.
- Lee, J. E. ve Watkins, B. (2016). Youtube vloggers' influence on consumer luxury brand perceptions and intentions. Journal of Business Research, 69(12), 5753-5760.
- Libunao, F. M., Martinez, J. D., Rodriguez, M. K. ve Castaño, M. C. (2022). Consumers Attitude towards Skincare Products Endorsed by Filipino Macro-Influencers on Instagram. Journal of Business and Management Studies, 4(2), 123-135.
- Lim, X. J., Radzol, A. M., Cheah, J. ve Wong, M. W. (2017). The impact of social media influencers on purchase intention and the mediation effect of customer attitude. Asian Journal of Business Research, 7(2), 19-36.
- Lou, C. ve Yuan, S. (2019). Influencer marketing: how message value and credibility affect consumer trust of branded content on social media. Journal of Interactive Advertising, 19(1), 58-73.
- Masuda, H., Han, S. H. ve Lee, J. (2022). Impacts of influencer attributes on purchase intentions in social media influencer marketing: mediating roles of characterizations. Technological Forecasting and Social Change, 174, 121-146.
- MacCallum, R. C., Widaman, K. F., Zhang, S. ve Hong, S. (1999). Sample size in factor analysis. Psychological methods, 4(1), 8499.
- Martensen, A., Brockenhuus-Schack, S. ve Zahid, A.L. (2018). How citizen influencers persuade their followers. Journal of Fashion Marketing and Management: An International Journal, 22(3), 335-353.
- McCroskey, J. C. (1966). Scales for the Measurement of Ethos. Speech Monographs, 33(1), 65-72.
- McGuire, W.J. (1969). The nature of attitudes and attitude change. in. In: Lindsey, G., Aronson, E. (Eds.), The Handbook of Social Psychology, vol. 3. Addison-Wesley, Reading, MA.
- Miller, G.P. ve Basehart, J. (1969) Source trustworthiness, opinionated statements, and response to persuasive communication. Speech Monographs, 36(1), 1-7.
- Munnukka, J., Uusitalo, O. ve Toivonen, H. (2016). Credibility of a peer endorser and advertising effectiveness. Journal of Consumer Marketing, 33 (3), 182-92.
- Müller, L.K., Mattke, J. ve Maier C. (2018). Sponsored Ad: Exploring The Effect Of İnfluencer Marketing On Purchase İntention. In: 24th Americas Conference on Information Systems (AMCIS 2018) and AIS (Association for Information Systems), Louisiana, USA.
- Nafees, L., Cook, C. M., Nikolov, A. N. ve Stoddard, J. E. (2021). Can social media influencer (SMI) power influence consumer brand attitudes? The mediating role of perceived SMI credibility. Digital Business, 1(2), 100008.
- Ohanian, R. (1990). Construction and validation of a scale to measure celebrity endorsers' perceived expertise, trustworthiness, and attractiveness. Journal of Advertising, 19 (3), 39-52.
- Ohanian, R. (1991). The impact of celebrity Spokesperson's perceived image on consumers' intention to purchase. Journal of Advertising Research, 31 (1), 46-52.
- Osgood, C.E. ve Tannenbaum, P.H. (1955). The principle of congruity in the prediction of attitude change. Psychol. Review, 62 (1), 42-55.
- Perloff, R. M. (2010). The Dynamics of Persuasion: Communication And Attitudes in The 21st Century. (4. Edition) NY: Routledge.
- Petty, R.E., Cacioppo, J.T. ve Schumann, D. (1983). Central and peripheral routes to advertising effectiveness: The moderating role of involvement. J. Consumer Res. 10 (2), 135-146.
- Schiappa, E., Allen, M. ve Gregg, P. B. (2006). Parasocial Relationships and Television: A Meta-Analysis of the Effects. In R. Preiss, B. Gayle, N. Burrell, M. Allen ve J. Bryant (Eds.), Mass media research: Advances through meta-analysis. Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum.
- Schouten, A. P., Janssen, L. ve Verspaget, M. (2020). Celebrity vs. influencer endorsements in advertising: The role of identification, credibility, and product-endorser fit. International Journal of Advertising, 39(2), 258-281.
- Silvera, B. H. ve Austad, B. (2004). Factors predicting the effectiveness of celebrity endorsement advertisements. European Journal of Marketing, 38, 1509-1526.
- Sokolova, K. ve Kefi, H. (2020). Instagram and youtube bloggers promote it, why should ı buy? how credibility and parasocial interaction influence purchase intentions. Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, 53, 131-142.
- Spears, N. ve Singh, S. N. (2004). measuring attitude toward the brand and purchase intentions. Journal of Current Issues & Research in Advertising, 26(2), 53-66.
- Speck, P.S., Schumann, D.W. ve Thompson, C. (1988). Celebrity endorsements: scripts, schema and roles: theoretical framework and preliminary tests. Adv. Consumer Res. 15, 69-76.
- Till, B. D. ve Busler, M. (2000). The match-up hypothesis: Physical attractiveness, expertise, and the role of fit on brand attitude, purchase intent and brand beliefs. Journal of Advertising, 29(3), 1-13.
- Weismueller, J., Harrigan, P., Wang, S. ve Soutar, G. N. (2020). Influencer endorsements: How advertising disclosure and source credibility affect consumer purchase intention on social media. Australasian Marketing Journal, 28(4), 160-170.
- Whitehead Jr, J. L. (1968). Factors of source credibility. Quarterly Journal of Speech, 54(1), 59-63.
- Wiedmann, K. P. ve von Mettenheim, W. (2021). Attractiveness, trustworthiness and expertise-social influencers’ winning formula? Journal of Product & Brand Management, 30(5), 707-725.
- Xiao, M., Wang, R. ve Chan-Olmsted, S. (2018). Factors affecting YouTube influencer marketing credibility: a heuristic-systematic model. Journal of Media Business Studies, 15(3), 188-213.