The relationship between leverage, ownership concentration, and efficiency within the context of agency costs: An application on BIST chemicals, drugs, petroleum, rubber, and plastic products sector firms
- Temsilcilik Maliyetleri, Etkinlik, Kaldıraç, Veri Zarflama Analizi
- Agency Costs, Efficiency, Leverage, Data Envelopment Analysis
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2022 Burcu DİNÇERGÖK- Ayşe YILDIZ
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
This study investigates whether the agency problems and costs would be reduced using leverage. Twenty-seven firms quoted to BIST chemicals, drugs, petroleum, rubber, and plastic products that satisfy the analysis requirements are analyzed in 2018 and 2019. Apart from other studies that use financial ratios as performance indicators, different efficiency calculations were carried out to measure performance. Scale efficiency, which was found to be significant with other variables, was used as an efficiency indicator of companies. The effect of production efficiency on leverage is also examined using another model. The analysis considers the potential impact of ownership concentration on efficiency and leverage ratios. The study provides significant findings regarding the positive effect of leverage on production efficiency and vice versa. However, the effects of ownership concentration on leverage are not statistically significant.
- Acaravcı, S.K. (2015). The Determinants of Capital Structure: Evidence from the Turkish Manufacturing Sector. International Journal of Economics and Financial Issues, 5(1), 158-171.
- Akçay, A. & Aygün, M. (2017). Sahiplik Yapısı ve Firma Performansı: Borsa İstanbul Üzerine Bir İnceleme. Finans, Ekonomik ve Politik Yorumlar, 51 (588), 45-57.
- Aygün, M., & İç, S. (2010). Genel Müdürün Aynı Zamanda Yönetim Kurulu Üyesi Olması Firma Performansını Etkiler mi? The Journal of Accounting and Finance, 47, 192-201.
- Banker, R. D., Charnes, A., & Cooper, W. W. (1984). Some models for estimating technical and scale inefficiencies in data envelopment analysis. Management Science, 30(9), 1078-1092.
- Barclay, M.J., Smith, C.W., & Watts, R.L. (1995). The Determinants of Corporate Leverage and Dividend Policies. Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, 7, 4–19.
- Berger, A.N., & Bonaccorsi di Patti, E., 2006. Capital structure and firm performance: a new approach to testing agency theory and an application to the banking industry. Journal of Banking and Finance 30, 1065–1102.
- Brailsford, T.J., Oliver, B.R., & Pua, S.L.H., 2002. On the relation between ownership structure and capital structure. Accounting and Finance 42, 1–26.
- Charnes, A., Cooper, W. W., & Rhodes, E. (1978). Measuring the efficiency of decision-making units. European journal of operational research, 2(6), 429-444.
- Claessens, S.; S. Djankov; Fan, J. P. H. & Lang, L. H. P. (2002). Disentangling the Incentive and Entrenchment Effects of Large Shareholdings. Journal of Finance, 57: 2741-2771.
- Cronqvist, H., & Nilsson, M. (2003). Agency Costs of Controlling Minority Shareholders. The Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, 38(4), 695–719.
- Çopuroğlu, F., Korkmaz, İ.H. (2018). Vekalet Teorisi, Sermaye Yapısı ve Firma Performansı Arasındaki İlişkinin İncelenmesi. G.Ü. Islahiye İİBF Uluslararası e-Dergi, 2 (2): 21-33.
- Deesomsak, R., Paudyal, K. & Pescetto, G. (2004). The Determinants of Capital Structure: Evidence from the Asia Pacific Region. Journal of Multinational Financial Management, 14, 387-405.
- Dinçergök (2015). Yatırım, Kaldıraç ve Büyüme Fırsatları. Muhasebe ve Finansman Dergisi, 68, 83-98.
- Erdoğan, E. O (2016). Temsil Teorisi Çerçevesinde Sahiplik Yapısının İşletmelerin Sermaye Yapısı Kararları Üzerine Etkisi: Bist Uygulaması. Süleyman Demirel Üniversitesi Sosyal Bilimler Enstitüsü Dergisi, 2(24), 160-181.
- Fama, E.F. & French, K.R. (2002). Testing trade-off and pecking order predictions about dividends and debt. The Review of Financial Studies, 1 , (1), 1-33.
- Farrell, M. J. (1957). The measurement of productive efficiency. Journal of the Royal Statistical Society. Series A (General), 120(3), 253-290.
- Ferri, M.G. & Jones, W.H. (1979). Determinants of Financial Structure: A New Methodological Approach, Journal of Finance, 34 (3), 631-44.
- Friend, I., Lang, L., 1988. An empirical test of the impact of managerial self-interest on corporate capital structure. Journal of Finance 43 (2), 271–281.
- Gorton, G. & Schmid, F.A. (2002). Universal Banking and the Performance of German Firms. Journal of Financial Economics, 58 (1-2), 29-80.
- Gönenç, H. &Aslan, O. (2003). Capital structure of the Turkish Domestic and International Real Sector Firms. Istanbul Stock Exchange Review, 7, 41-64.
- Grossman, Sanford J., & Hart, O.D. (1986). The costs and benefits of ownership: A theory of vertical and lateral integration. Journal of Political Economy 94(4), 691-719.
- Gürsoy, G., & Aydoğan, K. (2002). Equity Ownership Structure, Risk-Taking, and Performance: An Empirical Investigation in Turkish Listed Companies. Emerging Markets Finance & Trade, 38(6), 6–25.
- Halkos, G.E., & Tzeremes, N.G. (2007). Productivity efficiency and firm size: An empirical analysis of foreign owned companies. International Business Review, 16 (6), 713-731.
- Harris, M. ,Raviv, A. (1991). The theory of capital structure. The Journal of Finance, 46 (1), 297-355.
- Himmelberg, C.P., Hubbard, R.G. & Palia, D. (1999). Understanding the Determinants of Managerial Ownership and the Link Between Ownership and Performance. Journal of Financial Economics, 53(9),353–384.
- Jensen, M.C. & Meckling, W. (1976). Theory of the firm: managerial behaviour, agency costs and capital structure. Journal of Financial Economics, 3 (4), 305-360.
- Jensen, M. C. (1986). Agency Costs of Free Cash Flow, Corporate Finance, and Takeovers. American Economic Review, 76, 323–9.
- Leibenstein, H. (1966). Allocative efficiency vs. ‘X-efficiency’. American Economic Review 56, 392–415.
- Lins, Karl V. (2003). Equity Ownership and Firm Value in Emerging Markets. Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis 38, 159-184.
- Mandacı, P. & Gumus, G. (2010). Ownership Concentration, Managerial Ownership and Firm Performance: Evidence from Turkey. Southeast Journal of Economics and Business, 5(1), 57-66.
- Margaritis, D., & Psilakki, M. (2007). Capital structure and firm efficiency. Journal of Business Finance and Accounting, 34 (9–10), 1447–1469.
- Margaritis, D., & Psilakki, M. (2010). Capital Structure, Equity Ownership, and Firm Performance. Journal of Banking & Finance, 34, 621-232.
- Mehrotra, V., Parch, M., & Mikkelson, W. (2005). Do Managers Have Capital Structure Targets? Evidence from Corporate Spinoffs. Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, 17 (1), 18-26.
- Myers, S. (1977). Determinants of Corporate Borrowing. Journal of Financial Economics 5, 147–175.
- Rajan, R.G., & Zingales, L., 1995. What do we know about capital structure? Some evidence from international data. Journal of Finance 50, 1421–1460.
- Sayılgan, G. Karabacak, H & Küçükkocaoğlu, G. (2006). The firm-Specific Determinants of Corporate Capital Structure: Evidence from Turkish Panel Data. Investment Management and Financial Innovations, 3(3), 125-139.
- Shleifer, A., & Vishny, R. W. (1986). Large Shareholders and Corporate Control. Journal of Political Economy, 94(3), 461–488.
- Shleifer, A.& Vishny, R. (1997). A Survey of Corporate Governance. Journal of Finance. 52 (2) ,737-783.
- Stern, D.W & Chew, D.H. (1998). The Revolution in Corporate Finance, Blackwell Publishing, 3rd ed.
- Stulz, R. (1990). Managerial Discretion and Optimal Financing Policies. Journal of Financial Economics, 26,3–27.
- Topaloğlu, E.E. (2018). Sermaye Yapısına Etki Eden Faktörlerin Panel Veri Analizleri ile Belirlenmesi: Kurumsal Yönetim Endeksi Üzerine Bir Uygulama. Finans, Ekonomik ve Politik Yorumlar, 640, 63-100.
- Williams, J. (1987). Perquisites, risk, and capital structure, Journal of Finance, Vol. 42, 29–49.