Research on the mutual interaction of the processes within the framework of the knowledge spiral
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2021 Arif Orçun Sakarya
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
At present, knowledge management is one of the topics focused on increasing firm competitiveness. However, significantly when knowledge is shaped during interaction with the external environment, the transformation and usage of knowledge emerge as the notions that may affect firm performance. Accordingly, the study aims to measure the favorable conditions for spiral-based knowledge management and knowledge creation in micro-sized enterprises. Following the related literature and the examination of the different approaches to knowledge management, in the research part of the study, it has been discussed the interview results made with the micro-sized firms which operate within the incubator center of a university and produce knowledge-intensive products or services. Accordingly, it has been deduced that the required conditions are mostly satisfied for the knowledge to be created. In this context, notions including joint decision-making mechanism, project-based work, innovation, and competence on more than one job and access to information are highlighted. Additionally, market-oriented approaches are in firms’ agenda in knowledge conversion.
- Aiai (2021, Haz.17) Artificial Intelligence Applications Institute http://www.aiai.ed.ac.uk/~alm/kam.html
- Alavi, M., Kayworth, T.R & Leidner, D.E. (2005). An empirical examination of the influence of organizational culture on knowledge management practices. Journal of Management Information Systems. 22(3): 191-224.
- Alavi, M., Leidner, D.E. (2001). Review: Knowledge management and knowledge management systems: conceptual foundations and research issues. MIS Quarterly. 25(1): 107-136.
- Amalia, M., Nugroho, Y. (2011). An innovation perspective of knowledge management in a multinational subsidiary. Journal of Knowledge Management. 15(1): 71-87.
- Baskerville, R., Dulipovivi A. (2006). The theoretical foundations of knowledge management. Knowledge Management Research & Practice. 4: 83-105.
- Becerra-Fernandez.I., Sabherwal R. (2001). Organizational knowledge management: a contingency Perspective. Joumal of Management Information Systems. 18(1):23-55.
- Benbya, H., Passiante, G. & Belbaly N.A. (2004). Corporate portal: a tool for knowledge management synchronization. International Journal of Information Management. 24:201-220.
- Bhunia, C.T. (2004). Knowledge management: why and how. JETE Technical Review. 21(1):25-37.
- Brännback, M., Carsrud, A. & Schulte, W.D. (2008). Exploring the role of Ba in family business context. VINE: The Journal of Information and Knowledge Management Systems. 38(1):104-117.
- Campanella, F., Derhy, A.& Gangi, F. (2019). Knowledge management and value creation in the post-crisis banking system. Journal of Knowledge Management. 23(2): 263-278.
- Chatterjee, A., Pereira, A. & Sarkar, B. (2018). Learning transfer system inventory (LTSI) and knowledge creation in organizations. The Learning Organization. 25(5):305-319.
- Cheong, R.K.F., Tsui, E. (2010). The roles and values of personal knowledge management: an exploratory study. VINE: The Journal of Information and Knowledge Management Systems. 40(2): 204-227.
- Cox, M., Tam, W.W.T.T (2018). A critical analysis of lifecycle models of the research process and research data management. Aslib Journal of Information Management. 70(2):142-157.
- Dalkir, K., (2005). Knowledge management in theory and practice. Elsevier.
- Duangchant, S., Kiattikomol, P. & Kaewkuekool, S. (2016). Knowledge transfer in B-O-R-N Model to enhance computer learners’ learning outcomes in knowledge and cognitive skills. The Learning Organization. 23(2/3):170-183.
- Duh, M. (2014). Family business succession as knowledge creation process. Kybernetes. 43(5): 699-714.
- Fard, H.D., Selseleh M. (2010). Measuring knowledge management cycle: evidence from Iran. European Journal of Scientific Research. 41(2): 297-309.
- Fidalgo-Blanco À, Sein-Echaluce, M.L & García-Peñalvo, F. (2015). Epistemological and ontological spirals: From individual experience in educational innovation to the organisational knowledge in the university sector. Program: electronic library and information systems. 49(3): 266-288.
- Fong, P.S.W., Dettwiler, P. (2009). Entrepreneurial firms and their knowledge creation: a study of real estate management. Facilities. 27(7/8): 267-276.
- Gartner (2021, Tem.4) gartner.com/en/information-technology/glossary/knowledge-capital
- Grover, V., Davenport, T. (2001). General perspectives on knowledge management: fostering a research agenda. Journal of Management Information Systems. 18(1): 5-21.
- Gunasekaran, A., Ngai, E.W.T. (2007). Knowledge management in 21st century manufacturing. International Journal of Production Research. 45 (11): 2391 – 2418.
- Hastie, J., Sutrisna, M., & Egbu, C. (2017). Modelling knowledge integration process in early contractor involvement procurement at tender stage – a Western Australian case study. Construction Innovation. 17(4): 429-456.
- Herschel, R.T., Jones, N.E. (2005). Knowledge management and business intelligence: the importance of integration. Journal of Knowledge Management. 9(4): 45-55.
- Intezari, A., Taskin, N & Pauleen D.J. (2017). Looking beyond knowledge sharing: an integrative approach to knowledge management culture. Journal of Knowledge Management. 21(2):492-515.
- Janhonen, M., Johanson, J.E. (2011). Role of knowledge conversion and social networks in team performance. International Journal of Information Management. 31:217-225.
- Johannessen, J.A. (2008). Organisational innovation as part of knowledge management. International Journal of Information Management. 28: 403– 412.
- Kaiser, A., Fordinal. B. (2010). Creating a ba for generating self-transcending knowledge. Journal of Knowledge Management. 14(6):928-942.
- Kang, X., Zhao, D., Liu, Q. (2021). Transmission mechanism of simmelian ties on the knowledge spiral – the conducive combination of a high-performance work practice and knowledge fermentation. Journal of Organizational Change Management. 34(5):1003-1017.
- Knowledge Management (2021, Haz. 21) https://knowledgeandmanagement.wordpress.com/seci-model-nonaka-takeuchi/
- Krogh, G.V., Nonaka, I.& Aben, M. (2001). Making the most of your company’s knowledge: a strategic framework. Long Range Planning. 34:421-439.
- Krogh, G.V. (1998). Care in knowledge creation. California Management Review. 40(3):133-153.
- Li, M., Liu, H. & Zhou, J. (2018). G-SECI model-based knowledge creation for CoPS innovation: the role of grey knowledge. Journal of Knowledge Management. 22(4): 887-911.
- Lievre, P. Tang, J. (2015). SECI and inter-organizational and intercultural knowledge transfer: a case-study of controversies around a project of co-operation between France and China in the health sector. Journal of Knowledge Management. 19(5):1069-1086.
- López-Cabarcos, M.A., Srinivasan, S. & Vázquez-Rodríguez, P. (2020). The role of product innovation and customer centricity in transforming tacit and explicit knowledge into profitability. Journal of Knowledge Management. 24(5): 1037-1057.
- Lu, S.L., Sexton, M. (2006). Innovation in small construction knowledge-intensive professional service firms: a case study of an architectural practice. Construction Management and Economics. 24:1269-1282.
- Merx-Chermin, M., Wijhof, W.J. (2005). Factors influencing knowledge creation and innovation in an organisation. Journal of European Industrial Training. 29(2):135-147.
- Mitchell, R.E., Leach, B. (2019). Knowledge coproduction in environmental impact assessment: Lessons from the mining industry in Panama. Environmental Policy and Governance. 29:87-96.
- Nezakati, H., Amidi, A., Yah Jusoh, Y., Moghadas, S., Abdul Aziz, Y. & Sohrabinezhadtalemi, R. (2015). Review of social media potential on knowledge sharing and collaboration in tourism industry. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences. 172:120-125.
- Nonaka, I., Umemoto, K. & Senoo, D. (1996). From information processing to knowledge creation: a paradigm shift in business management. Technology in Society. 18(2):203-218.
- Nonaka, I., Reinmoeller, P.& Senoo, D. (1998). The ‘art’ of knowledge: systems to capitalize on market knowledge. European Management Journal. 16(6):673-684.
- Nonaka, I., Konno, N. (1998). The concept of Ba. Building a foundation for knowledge creation. California Management Review. 40(3):40-54.
- Nonaka, I., Toyama, R.& Konno, N. (2000). SECI, Ba and leadership: A united model of dynamic knowledge creation. Long Range Planning. 33:5-34.
- Nonaka, I, Toyama, R. (2002). A firm as a dialectical being: Towards a dynamic theory of a firm. Industrial and Corporate Change. 11(5): 995-1009.
- Nonaka, I., Sasaki, K.& Ahmed, M. (2003). Continuous innovation in Japan: The power of tacit knowledge. The International Handbook of Innovation.
- Nonaka, I, Toyama, R. (2007). Strategic management as distributed practical wisdom (phronesis). Industrial and Corporate Change. 16(3): 371-394.
- Nonaka, I. Krogh, G.V. (2009). Tacit knowledge and knowledge conversion: controversy and advancement in organizational knowledge creation theory. Organization Science. 20(3):635-652.
- OECD (2021, Tem.2) http://oecd.org/sti/inno/406367101.pdf
- Plessis. M.D. (2005). Drivers of knowledge management in the corporate environment. International Journal of Information Management. 25:193-202.
- Rose, J.F., Hawryszkiewycz, I. & Kang, K. (2014). When and how to facilitate the introduction of new knowledge processes in organisations. VINE: The journal of information and knowledge management systems. 44(2): 210-227.
- Quaddus. M., Xu. J. (2005). Adoption and diffusion of knowledge management systems: field studies of factors and variables. Knowledge-Based Systems.18:107-115.
- Rai, R.K. (2011). Knowledge management and organizational culture: a theoretical integrative framework. Journal of Knowledge Management. 15(5):779-801.
- Richtnér, A., Åhlström, P. & Goffin, K. (2014). “Squeezing R&D”: a study of organizational slack and knowledge creation in NPD, using the SECI model. J. Prod Innov Manag. 31(6). 1268-1290.
- Sabri. H. (2005). Knowledge management in its context: adapting structure to a knowledge creating culture. IIJCM. 15(2):113-128.
- Seidler-de Alwis, R, Hartmann, E. (2008). The use of tacit knowledge within innovative companies: knowledge management in innovative enterprises. Journal of Knowledge Management. 12(1):133-147.
- Serino, L., Papa, A., Campanella, F. & Di Giola, L. (2020). The sourcing for collaborative knowledge translation in distributed R&D processes: a cross-regional study. Management Decision. 58(9):2027-2048.
- Sharp, D. (2003). Knowledge management today: challenges and opportunities. Information Systems Management. 20(2): 32-37.
- Shuhuai, R., Xingjun, S., Haiqing, L. & Jialin, C. (2009). From information commons to knowledge commons: Building a collaborative knowledge sharing environment for innovative communities. The Electronic Library. 27(2): 247-257.
- Sigala, M., Chalkiti, K. (2014). Investigating the exploitation of web 2.0 for knowledge management in the Greek tourism industry: An utilisation–importance analysis. Computers in Human Behavior. 30:800-812.
- Singh, B., Gautam, S. (2016). Hybrid spiral model to improve software quality using knowledge management. International Journal of Performability Engineering. 12(4):341-352.
- Spraggon, M., Bodolica, V. (2008). Knowledge creation processes in small innovative hi-tech firms. Management Research News. 31(11): 879-894.
- Tian, J., Nakamori, Y. & Wierzbicki, A.P. (2009). Knowledge management and knowledge creation in academia: a study based on surveys in a Japanese research university. Journal of Knowledge Management. 13(2):76-92.
- Turner, K.Y., Makhija, M.V. (2006). The role of organizational controls in managing knowledge. Academy of Management Review. 31(1):197-217.
- Tutorials Point (2021, Tem.8) https://www.tutorialspoint.com/knowledge_management/knowledge_management_models.htm
- Vaccaro. A., Parente, R.& Veloso, F.M. (2009). Knowledge management tools, inter-organizational relationships, innovation and firm performance. Technological Forecasting & Social Change.77:1076-1089.
- Wu, Y., Senoo, D. & Magnier-Watanabe, R. (2010). Diagnosis for organizational knowledge creation: an ontological shift SECI model. Journal of Knowledge Management. 14(1):791-810.