The mediating role of leadership support in the effect of job crafting on innovative behaviour
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2021 Demet Çakıroğlu- Mehmet Altınöz
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
In recent years, especially in the first quarter of the current century, employees expect their economic and psycho-social needs to be met. Since proactive job crafting is innovative and creative, it is inevitable for the employee to exhibit creative behaviour. At this point, it is essential to consider that leader support is a potential trigger of employees' proactive job crafting behaviour. In this sense, the starting point of the research is the expectation that the enhancing effect of job crafting on innovative behaviour can be realized through the support of the leader. Therefore, the purpose of this study is to examine whether leader support has a mediating effect on the effect of employees' job crafting attitudes on innovative behaviour. The research universe consists of the technical and administrative personnel working in a public institution's central and provincial organizations in 81 provinces in Turkey. The data collected through the questionnaire using job crafting, innovative behaviour and leader support scales were analyzed with the Structural Equation Model (SEM) Mplus7 program and SPSS 22. In addition, the data fit indexes were examined. As a result of the evaluation, it was determined that leader support assumes a mediating role in the effect of job crafting and its sub-dimensions (task, cognitive and relational crafting) on innovative behaviour. In line with this result, it can be said that job crafting increases creative behaviour through leader support. In this context, it is thought that the study will bring a specific perspective to the literature.
- Ackfeldt, A. L. & Coote, L. V. (2005). A study of organizational citizenship behaviors in a retail setting. Journal of Business Research, 58, 151-159.
- Afacan Fındıklı, M. (2014). Algılanan Lider Desteği ve Algılanan Örgütsel Destek ile İşten Ayrılma Niyeti İlişkisinde Örgütsel Özdeşlemenin Aracılık Rolü: İstanbul’da Kamu Çalışanları Üzerine Bir Araştırma. İ. Ü. İşletme Fakültesi İşletme iktisadi Enstitüsü Yönetim Dergisi, 25(77), 136-157.
- Afsar, B., Masood, M. and Umrani, W.A. (2019). The role of job crafting and knowledge sharing on the effect of transformational leadership on innovative work behavior. Personnel Review, 48(5), 1186-1208.
- Akçakanat, T., Uzunbacak, H. H., & Acar, O. K. (2019). İnsan kaynakları yöneticilerinin iş becerikliliklerinin işe adanmışlıkları üzerine etkisi. OPUS Uluslararası Toplum Araştırmaları Dergisi, 10(17), 395-419.
- Akkoç, İ., Çalışkan, A. & Turunç, Ö. (2012). Örgütlerde Gelişim Kültürü ve Algılanan Örgütsel Desteğin İş Tatmini ve İş Performansına Etkisi: Güvenin Aracılık Rolü. Celal Bayar Üniversitesi İ.İ.B.F. Yönetim ve Ekonomi Dergisi, 19(1), 105-109.
- Akkoç, İ., Turunç, Ö. & Çalışkan, A. (2011). Gelişim Kültürü ve Lider Desteğinin Yenilikçi Davranış ve İş Performansına Etkisi: İş-Aile Çatışmasının Aracılık Rolü. "İş, Güç" Endüstri İlişkileri ve İnsan Kaynakları Dergisi, 13(4), 83-114.
- Babin, B. J. & Boles, J. S. (1996). The effects of perceived co-worker ınvolvement and supervisor support on service provider role stress, performance and job satisfaction. Journal of Retailing, 72(1), 57–75.
- Bakker, A. B. & Demerouti, E. (2007). The job demands-resources model: state of the art. Journal of Managerial Psychology, 22, 309–328.
- Bakker, A. B. & Demerouti, E. (2017). Job demands–resources theory: taking stock and looking forward. Journal of Occupational Health Psychology, 22(3), 273-285.
- Bakker, A. B., Tims, M. & Derks, D. (2012). Proactive personality and job performance: the role of job crafting and work engagement. Human Relations, 65(10), 1359-1378.
- Baron, R. M. & Kenny, D. A. (1986). The moderator-mediator variable distinction in social psychological research: conceptual, strategic, and statistical considerations. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 51, 1173-1182.
- Basadur, M. (2004). Leading others to think innovatively together: creative leadership. Leadership Quarterly, 15, 103–21.
- Bass, B. M. & Riggio, R. E. (2006). Transformational Leadership. (2nd Ed.), Mahwah, Nj: Lawrence Erlbaum.
- Basu, R. & Green, S. G. (1997). Leader‐member exchange and transformational leadership: an empirical examination of innovative work behaviors in leader member dyads. Journal of Applied Social Psychology, 27, 477-499.
- Berg, J. M., Dutton J. E. & Wrzesniewski A. (2008). What is job crafting and why does it matter. Positive Organizational Scholarship. Http://Positiveorgs.Bus.Umich.Edu/Wp-Content/Uploads/What-İs-Job-Crafting-And-Why-Does-İt-Matter1.Pdf
- Berg, J. M., Dutton J. E. & Wrzesniewski A. (2013). Job crafting and meaningful work. Dik, B. J. Z., Byrne S. & Steger M. F. (Ed.). Purpose and meaning in the workplace içinde, Washington Dc: American Psychological Association Books, 81-104.
- Berg, J. M., Wrzesniewski A., Dutton J. E. (2010). Perceiving and responding to challenges in job crafting at different ranks: when proactivity requires adaptivity. Journal of Organizational Behavior. 31(2‐3), 158-186.
- Buluç, B., & Kart, M. E. (2020). Araştırma görevlilerinde iş becerikliliği ve işle bütünleşme arasındaki ilişki. Gazi Üniversitesi Gazi Eğitim Fakültesi Dergisi, 40(2), 591-620.
- Cummings, L. L. & O'connell, M. J. (1978). Organizational innovation: a model and needed research. Journal of Business Research, 6(1), 33-50.
- Çakıroğlu, D. & Öztürk Başpınar, N. (2020). İş Becerikliliği –Kuram ve Uygulama. Detay Yayıncılık, 1. Baskı, Ankara.
- Çalışkan, A., Akkoç, İ. & Turunç, Ö. (2019). Yenilikçi Davranış: Bir Ölçek Uyarlama Çalışması. Uluslararası İktisadi ve İdari Bilimler Dergisi, 5(1), 94-111.
- Dansereau, F., Graen, G. & Haga, W. J. (1975). A vertical dyad linkage approach to leadership within formal organizations: a longitudinal investigation of the role making process. Organizational Behavior and Human Performance, 13, 46-78.
- De Jong, J. & Den Hartog, D. (2010). Measuring innovative work behaviour. Creativity and Innovation Management, 19(1), 23-36.
- Deconinck J. B. & Johnson J. T. (2009). The effects of perceived supervisor support, perceived organizational support, and organizational justice on turnover among salespeople. Journal of Personal Selling & Sales Management, 29(4), 333–350.
- Demerouti, E. (2014). Design your own job through job crafting. European Psychologist, 19(4), 237–247.
- Demerouti, E., Bakker, A. B. & Gevers, J. M. P. (2015). Job crafting and extra-role behavior: the role of work engagement and flourishing. Journal of Vocational Behavior, 91, 87–96.
- Eisenberger, R., Huntington R., Hutchison S. & Sowa D. (1986). Perceived organizational support. Journal of Applied Psychology, 71, 500-507.
- Eisenberger, R., Stinglhamber, F., Vandenberghe, C., Sucharski, I. L. & Rhoades, L. (2002). Perceived supervisor support: contributions to perceived organizational support and employee retention. Journal of Applied Psychology, 87(3), 565-573.
- Farr, J. & Ford, C. (1990). Individual innovation. In West, M. and Farr, J. (Eds.), Managing Innovation. London, Uk: Sage.
- George, D., & Mallery, M. (2010). SPSS for Windows Step by Step: A Simple Guide and Reference, 17.0 update (10a ed.) Boston: Pearson.
- Grant, A. M. & Ashford, S. J. (2008). The dynamics of proactivity at work. Research in Organizational Behavior, 28, 3-34.
- Hackman, J. R. & Oldham G. R. (1980). Work redesign. Reading, Ma: Addison-Wesley.
- Hetland, J., Hetland, H., Bakker, A. B. & Demerouti, E. (2018). Daily transformational leadership and employee job crafting: the role of promotion focus. European Management Journal, 36(6), 746-756.
- Hobfoll, S. E. (1989). Conservation of resources a new attempt at conceptualizing stress. American Psychologist, 44(3), 513-524.
- Hoyle, R. H. (1995). Structural equation modeling: concepts, issues, and applications. USA: Sage Publications.
- Hu, L. T. & Bentler, P. M. (1999). Cutoff criteria for fit indexes in covariance structure analysis: conventional criteria versus new alternatives. Structural Equation Modeling: A Multidisciplinary Journal, 6(1), 1-55.
- Iacobucci, D. (2008). Mediation analysis. Thousand Oaks, Ca: Sage.
- Kanbur, E., & Mazioğlu, V. (2021). Psikolojik iyi oluşun iş becerikliliği üzerine etkisi. Itobiad: Journal of the Human & Social Science Researches, 10(2).
- Kanter, R. M. (1988). When a thousand ﬂowers bloom: structural, collective, and social conditions for innovation in organization. ın staw, b. m. and cummings, L. L., Editors, De Jong, J. & Den Hartog, D. (2010). Measuring innovative work behaviour. Creativity and Innovation Management, 19(1), 23-36.
- , 169–211.
- Karayel, M., Akkoç, İ. & Birer, İ. (2018). Örgütsel Destek, Sosyal Destek ve Lider Desteğinin İş Performansına Etkisinde Lider-Üye Etkileşiminin Aracılık Rolü. Dokuz Eylül Üniversitesi İşletme Fakültesi Dergisi, 19(2), 301-332.
- Katz, D. (1964). The motivational basis of organizational behavior. Systems Research and Behavioral Science, 9, 131-146.
- Kerse, G. (2019). İş Becerikliliği ve İş Tatmini Arasındaki İlişki: “İşe İlişkin Değişiklikler, Memnuniyeti Artırabilir Mi?”. İnsan ve İnsan, 6(20), 205-218.
- Kerse, G. & Babadağ, M. (2019). Dönüştürücü Liderliğin İş Becerikliliği Üzerindeki Etkisi: Akademisyenler Üzerinde Bir Uygulama. İş ve İnsan Dergisi, 6(2), 133-143.
- Kisfalvi, V. & Pitcher, P. (2003). Doing what feels right: the influence of ceo character and emotions on top management team dynamics. Journal of Management Inquiry, 12(1), 42-66.
- Kline, R. B. (2005). Principles and practice of structural equation modeling. (2nd Ed.), New York: Guilford Press.
- Kulik, C. T., Oldham, G. R. & Hackman, J. R. (1987). Work design as an approach to person-environment fit. Journal Of Vocational Behavior, 31, 278–296.
- Leana, C., Appelbaum, E. & Shevchuk, I. (2009). Work process and quality of care in early childhood education: the role of job crafting. Academy of Management Journal, 52, 1169–1192.
- Lee, J. Y. & Lee, Y. (2018). Job crafting and performance: literature review and implications for human resource development. Human Resource Development Review, 17(3), 277-313.
- Lin, B., Law, K. S. & Zhou, J. (2017). Why is underemployment related to creativity and ocb? a task-crafting explanation of the curvilinear moderated relations. Academy of Management Journal, 60(1), 156-177.
- Mcclelland, G. P., Leach, D. J., Clegg, C. W. & Mcgowan, I. (2014). Collaborative crafting in call centre teams. Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology, 87, 464–486.
- Özdemir, O., Birer İ. & Akkoç İ. (2019). Lider Desteği ve Örgütsel Adalet Algısının İş Performansına Etkisinde Kişi-Örgüt Uyumunun Aracılık Rolü. Toros Üniversitesi İİSBF Sosyal Bilimler Dergisi, 6(10).
- Parker, S. K. (2014). Beyond motivation: job and work design for development, health, ambidexterity, and more. Annual Review of Psychology, 65, 661–691.
- Pazy, A. & Ganzach, Y. (2009). Pay contingency and the effects of perceived organizational and supervisor support on performance and commitment. Journal of Management, 35(4), 1007-1025.
- Petrou, P., Demerouti, E., Peeters, M. C., Schaufeli, W. B. & Hetland, J. (2012). Crafting a job on a daily basis: contextual correlates and the link to work engagement. Journal of Organizational Behavior, 33(8), 1120-1141.
- Petrou, P., Demerouti, E. & Schaufeli, W. B. (2015). Job crafting in changing organizations: antecedents and implications for exhaustion and performance. Journal of Occupational Health Psychology, 20(4), 470.
- Raykov, T. & Marcoulides, G. A. (2006). A first course in structural equation modeling. (2nd Ed.), Nj: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
- Rosso, B. D., Dekas, K. H. & Wrzesniewski, A. (2010). On the meaning of work: a theoretical integration and review. Research İn Organizational Behavior, 30, 91-127.
- Rudolph, C. W., Katz, I. M., Lavigne, K. N. & Zacher, H. (2017). Job crafting: a meta-analysis of relationships with individual differences, job characteristics, and work outcomes, Journal of Vocational Behavior, 102, 112-138.
- Schin, J. & Mcclomb, G. E. (1998). Top executive leadership and organizational innovation: an investigation of nonprofit human service organizations. Social Work Administration, 22(3), 1-21.
- Schumacker, R. E. & Lomax, R. G. (1996). A beginner’s guide to structural equation modeling. Mahwah, New Jersey: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Publishers.
- Scott, S. G. & Bruce, R. A. (1994). Determinents of innovative behavior: a path model of individual innovation in the workplace. Academy of Management Journal, 37(3), 580-607.
- Shalley, C. E. & Gilson, L. L. (2004). What leaders need to know: a review of social and contextual factors that can foster or hinder creativity. The Leadership Quarterly, 15(1), 33-53.
- Shanock, L. R. & Eisenberger, R. (2006). When supervisors feel supported: relationships with subordinates' perceived supervisor support, perceived organizational support, and performance. Journal of Applied Psychology, 91(3), 689.
- Sonnentag, S. (2003). Recovery, work engagement, and proactive behaviour: a new look at the interface between nonwork and work. Journal of Applied Psychology, 88, 518–528.
- Taş, A. & Özkara, Z. U. (2020). İş Stresinin Algılanan Yönetici Desteği ile İşten Ayrılma Niyeti Arasındaki İlişkide Üstlendiği Rol. Opus– Uluslararası Toplum Araştırmaları Dergisi, 15(21), 475-504.
- Thompson, V. A. (1965). Bureaucracy and ınnovation, administrative science quarterly, 5, 1-20.
- Tims, M. & Bakker, A. B. (2010). Job crafting: towards a new model of individual job redesign. Journal of Industrial Psychology, 36(2), 1-9.
- Tims, M., Bakker, A. B. & Derks, D. (2012). Development and validation of the job crafting scale. Journal of Vocational Behavior, 80, 173–186.
- Tims, M., Bakker, A. B., Derks, D. & Van Rhenen, W. (2013). Job crafting at the team and individual level: ımplications for work engagement and performance. Group & Organization Management, 38, 427–454.
- Tims, M., Derks D. & Bakker, A. B. (2016). Job crafting and its relationships with person–job fit and meaningfulness: a three-wave study. Journal of Vocational Behavior, 92, 44-53.
- Wang, H. J., Demerouti, E. & Le Blanc, P. (2017). Transformational leadership, adaptability, and job crafting: the moderating role of organizational identification. Journal of Vocational Behavior, 100, 185-195.
- Wang, H., Li, P. & Chen, S. (2020). The impact of social factors on job crafting: a meta-analysis and review. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 17(21), 8016.
- Wrzesniewski, A. & Dutton, J. E. (2001). Crafting a job: revisioning employees as active crafters of their work. Academy of Management Review, 26(2), 179–201.
- Wrzesniewski, A., Lobuglio, N., Dutton, J. E. & Berg, J. M. (2013). Job crafting and cultivating positive meaning and identity in work. A. B. Bakker (Ed.) Advances in positive organizational psychology. Bingley: Emerald Group Publishing Limited, 281-302.
- Van De Ven, A. H. (1986). Central problems in the management of innovation. Management Science, 32(5), 590-607.
- Van Wingerden, J., Derks, D. & Bakker, A. B. (2017). The impact of personal resources and job crafting ınterventions on work engagement and performance. Human Resource Management, 56(1), 51-67.
- Yalap, O., Sobacı, F., Baygın, E., & Ünüvar, H. (2021). İş becerikliliği, duygusal bağlılık ve örgüt temelli öz saygının lider-üye etkileşimi kapsamında incelenmesi. İşletme Araştırmaları Dergisi, 13(2), 1647-1665.
- Yavuz, M. (2018). İş Zanaatkârlığı ile Bireysel Performans Çıktıları Arasındaki İlişkide Çalışanların Dışsal Prestij ve Kurum Destek Algılarının Rolü. Doktora Tezi, Marmara Üniversitesi, Sosyal Bilimler Enstitüsü, İstanbul.
- Yavuz, M. & Artan İ. E. (2019). İş Zanaatkârlığı (Job Crafting) Kavramı: Türkçe İş Zanaatkârlığı Ölçeği’nin Geliştirilmesi. İşletme Fakültesi Dergisi, 20(1), 95-125.
- Yazıcıoğlu, Y. & Erdoğan, S. (2004). SPSS Uygulamalı Bilimsel Araştırma Yöntemleri. Ankara: Detay Yayıncılık.
- Yen, C. L. (2017). The tradeoff between fit perceptions across recruitment stages by new job seekers. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, 29(10), 2610-2628.
- Yen, C. H., Tsaur, S. H. & Tsai, C. H. (2018). Tour leaders’ job crafting: scale development. Tourism Management, 69, 52-61.