A conceptual study on the theoretical framework of transformational and transactional leadership models
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2021 Ufuk Başar- Murat Yalçıntaş- Necla Öykü İyigün
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
This study aimed to explain the theoretical bases of transformational and transactional leadership models applied by managers operating in public and private organizations. Both public and private organizations should be managed by influential leaders to survive and achieve their goals productively. Transformational and transactional leadership models make significant contributions to the effectiveness and efficiency of organizations. In this respect, it is essential to understand the intellectual structure that underpins transformational and transactional leadership models. Therefore, in this review, a theoretical framework that helps conceive the formation process of transformational and transactional leadership models and provides a ground for them is constructed through a qualitative approach and a comprehensive literature search. In addition, implications for practice and research are made by discussing the theoretical bases of transformational and transactional leadership models.
- Afsar, B., Badir, Y. F., Saeed, B. B. & Hafeez, Z. (2017). Transformational and transactional leadership and employee’s entrepreneurial behavior in knowledge–intensive industries. The International Journal of Human Resource Management, 28(2), 307-332.
- Allis, N. M. (2000). Transformational leadership democratic or despotic? Educational Management & Administration, 28(1), 7–20.
- Atwater, L. E. & Yammarino, F. J. (1996). Bases of power in relation to leader behavior: A field investigation. Journal of Business and Psychology, 11(1), 3-22.
- Avolio, B. J., Bass, B. M. & Jung, D. I. (1999). Re-examining the components of transformational and transactional leadership using the multifactor leadership questionnaire. Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology, 72, 441-462.
- Avolio, B. J. & Bass, B. M. (2002). Developing potential across a full range of leadership: Cases on transactional and transformational leadership. London: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
- Barling, J., Christie, A. & Turner, N. (2008). Pseudo-transformational leadership: Towards the development and test of a model. Journal of Business Ethics, 81(4), 851–861.
- Bass, B. M. (1985). Leadership and performance beyond expectations. New York: Free Press.
- Bass, B. M. (1990). Bass & Stogdill's handbook of leadership. New York: Free Press.
- Bass, B. M. (1999). Two decades of research and development in transformational leadership. European Journal of Work and Organizational Psychology, 8(1), 9–32.
- Bass, B. M. & Steidlmeier, P. (1999). Ethics, character, and authentic transformational leadership behavior. Leadership Quarterly, 10(2), 181–217.
- Başar, U. & Basım, N. (2018). Paradoksal liderlik modeli. Amme İdaresi Dergisi, 51(3), 121-153.
- Berkovich, I. & Eyal, O. (2021). Transformational leadership, transactional leadership, and moral Reasoning. Leadership and Policy in Schools, 20(2), 131-148.
- Burns, J. M. (1978). Leadership. New York: Harper & Row.
- Bycio, P., Hackett, R. D. & Allen, J. S. (1995). Further assessment of Bass’s (1985) conceptualization of transactional and transformational leadership. Journal of Applied Psychology, 80(4), 468-478.
- Conger, J. A. (1999). Charismatic and transformational leadership in organizations: An insider’s perspective on these developing streams of research. Leadership Quarterly, 10(2), 145–179.
- Crews, E., Brouwers, M. & Visagie, J. C. (2019). Transformational and transactional leadership effects on communication styles. Journal of Psychology in Africa, 29(5), 421-428.
- Den Hartog, D. N., House, R. J., Hanges, P. J., Ruiz-Quintanilla, S. A., Dorfman, D. W. & Abdalla, I. A. vd. (1999). Culture specific and crossculturally generalizable implicit leadership theories: Are attributes of charismatic/transformational leadership universally endorsed? Leadership Quarterly, 10(2), 219-256.
- Dienesch, R. M. & Liden, R. C. (1986). Leader-member exchange model of leadership: A critique and further development. Academy of Management Review, 11, 618-634.
- Eigel, K. M. (1998). Leader effectiveness: A constructive developmental view and investigation (Yayımlanmamış doktora tezi). University of Georgia, Georgia.
- Eigel, K. M. & Kuhnert, K. W. (2005). Authentic development: Leadership development level and executive effectiveness. İçinde W. Gardner, B. Avolio & F. Walumba (Ed.), Authentic leadership theory and practice: Origins, effects and development. Monographs in leadership and management (s. 357-385). Oxford: Elsevier.
- Gandolfi, F. (2012). A conceptual discussion of transformational leadership and ıntercultural competence. Revista de Management Comparat Internațional, 13(4), 522-534.
- Gardner, W. L., Lowe, K. B., Moss, T. W., Mahoney, K. T. & Cogliser, C. C. (2010). Scholarly leadership of the study of leadership : A review of the leadership quarterly’s second decade 2000 – 2009. The Leadership Quarterly, 21(6), 922–958.
- Goodwin, V. L., Wofford, J. C. & Whittington, J. L. (2001). A theoretical and empirical extension tothe transformational leadership construct. Journal of Organizational Behavior, 22, 759-774.
- Harris, L. S. (2005). An examination of executive leadership effectiveness using constructive developmental theory (Yayımlanmamış yüksek lisans tezi). University of Georgia, Georgia.
- Harris, L. S. & Kuhnert, K. W. (2008). Looking through the lens of leadership: A constructive developmental approach. Leadership & Organization Development Journal, 29, 47–67.
- Hargis, M. B., Watt, J. D. & Piotrowski, C. (2011). Developing leaders : Examining the role of transactional and transformational leadership across business contexts. Organization Development Journal, 29(3), 51–66.
- Hater, J. J. & Bass, B. M. (1988). Superiors evaluations and subordinates perceptions of transformational and transactional leadership. Journal of Applied Psychology, 73(4), 695-702.
- Hay, I. (2006). Transformational leadership: Characteristics and criticisms. E-Journal of Organizational Learning and Leadership, 5(2), 2–19.
- Hayes, S. & Popp, N. (2019). Constructive-Developmental theory: A lens for team coaching. İçinde D. Clutterbuck, J. Gannon, S. Hayes, I. Iordanou, K. Lowe & D. MacKie (Ed.), The practitioner’s handbook of team coaching (s. 11-23). Routledge.
- Helsing, D., Drago-Severson, E. & Kegan, R. (2004). Applying Constructive-Developmental theories of adult development to ABE and ESOL practices. İçinde J. Comings, B. Garner & C. Smith (Ed.), Review of adult learning and literacy (s. 157-197). Lawrence Erlbaum.
- Helsing, D. & Howell, A. (2014). Understanding leadership from the ınside out: assessing leadership potential using constructive-developmental theory. Journal of Management Inquiry, 23, 186–204.
- House, R. J. & Howell, J. M. (1992). Personality and charismatic leadership. Leadership Quarterly, 3(2), 81–108.
- Howell, J. M. & Avolio, B. J. (1993). Transformational leadership, transactional leadership, locus of control, and support for ınnovation: Key predictors of consolidated-business-unit performance. Journal of Applied Psychology, 78(6), 891-902.
- Howell, J. M. & Hall-Marenda, K. E. (1999). The ties that bind: The ımpact of leader-member exchange, transformational and transactional leadership, and distance on predicting follower performance. Journal of Applied Psychology, 84(5), 680-694.
- Jensen, U. T., Andersen, L. B., Bro, L. L., Bøllingtoft, A., Eriksen, T. L. M. & Holten, A. (2019). Conceptualizing and measuring transformational and transactional leadership. Administration & Society, 51(1), 3-33.
- Kark, R., Dijk, D. V. & Vashdi, D. R. (2018). Motivated or demotivated to be creative: The role of self-regulatory focus in transformational andtransactional leadership processes. Applied Psychology: An International Review, 67(1), 186-224.
- Kegan, R. (1994). In over our heads: The mental demands of modern life. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.
- Kirkbride, P. (2006). Developing transformational leaders: The full range leadership model in action. Industrial and Commercial Training, 38(1), 23-32.
- Kouzes, J. M. & Posner, B. Z. (1987). The leadership challenge. Jossey-Bass.
- Kuhnert, K. W. & Lewis, P. (1987). Transactional and transformational leadership: A constructive/ developmental analysis. Academy of Management Review, 12(4), 648-657.
- Kuhnert, K. W. & Russell, C. J. (1990). Using constructive developmental theory and biodata to bridge the gap between personnel selection and leadership. Journal of Management, 16, 595−607.
- Lowe, K. B., Kroeck, K. G. & Sivasubramaniam, N. (1996). Effectiveness correlates of transformational and transactional leadership: A meta-analytic review of the mlq literature. Leadership Quarterly, 7(3), 385-425.
- MacKenzie, S. B., Podsakoff, P. M. & Rich, G. A. (2001). Transformational and transactional leadership and salesperson performance. Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 29(2), 115-134.
- McCauley, C. D., Drath, W. H., Palus, C. J., O’Connor, P. M. G. & Baker, B. A. (2006). The use of constructive-developmental theory to advance the understanding of leadership. The Leadership Quarterly, 17, 634-653.
- Mhatre, K. H., & Riggio, R. E. (2014). Charismatic and transformational leadership: Past, present, and future. İçinde D. V. Day (Ed.), The Oxford handbook of leadership and organizations (s. 221-240). Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Odumeru, J. A. & Ifeanyi, G. O. (2013). Transformational vs transactional leadership theories: Evidence in literature. International Review of Management and Business Research, 1(2), 355-361.
- Parry, K. W. & Sinha, P. N. (2007). Researching the trainability of transformational organizational leadership. Human Resource Development International, 8(2), 165-183.
- Phipps, K. A. (2010). Servant leadership and constructive development theory: How servant leaders make meaning of service. Journal of Leadership Education, 9(2), 151-170.
- Sanders, J. E., Hopkins, W. E. & Geroy, G. D. (2003). From transactional to transcendental: Toward an integrated theory of leadership. Journal of Leadership & Organizational Studies, 9(4), 21–31.
- Schuh, S. C., Zhang, X. & Tian, P. (2013). For the good or the bad? Interactive effects of transformational leadership with moral and authoritarian leadership behaviors. Journal of Business Ethics, 116(3), 629–640.
- Strang, S. E. & Kuhnert, K. W. (2009). Personality and leadership developmental levels as predictors of leader performance. Leadership Quarterly, 20(3), 421–433.
- Valcea, S., Hamdani, M. R., Buckley, M. R. & Novicevic, M. M. (2011). Exploring the developmental potential of leader–follower interactions: Aconstructive-developmental approach. The Leadership Quarterly, 22, 604-615.
- Waldman, D. A., Bass, B. M. & Yammarino, F. J. (1990). Adding to contingent reward behavior: The augmenting effect of charismatic leadership. Group & Organization Studies, 15, 381-394.
- Yukl, G. A. (1981). Leadership in organizations. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice-Hall.