Positioning universities based on the preference network of economics department students
- Tercih Ağı
- Higher Education,
- Preference Network
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2021
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
The research aims to determine the positioning of universities according to the preferences of university students based on the perceptions of stakeholders receiving service. In the study, the number of preferences for each university included in the YKS preference lists of all students placed in the Department of Economics at universities in Turkey in 2019 were evaluated using the integer method. The data were collected separately from the preference pages of each university through the "Higher Education Program Atlas". In the study, "Modularity Based Community Analysis" was applied with the Gephi program. In the research, the universities with the most critical position in terms of the Economics department were determined. In the preference network, it has been determined that clusters are generally formed based on physical proximity in Istanbul, Izmir, and Eastern and Southeastern Anatolia. The study also showed that the positioning of universities in student preferences might be effective in different criteria such as research potential of universities apart from geographical reasons. Since there is no similar research in the literature regarding obtaining the data and the technique used, it is expected that the study will contribute to the studies in this field.
- Arlı, E. (2012), "Konumlandırma Stratejilerinin İşletme Performansı ile İlişkisi: Liman İşletmeciliğinde Bir Uygulama", Yönetim ve Ekonomi, 19(2), 99-121
- Arthur, M. M. L. (2016), Mapping The Network of North American Colleges and Universities: A New Approach to Empirically Derived Classifications. In E. P. Berman, C. Paradeise (Eds.), The University Under Pressure (p.161–196), Bingley: Emerald Group Publishing Limited.
- Bakewell, C. J. and M. F. Gibson-Sweet (1998), "Strategic Marketing in A Changing Environment - Are The New UK Universities in Danger of Being ‘Stuck in The Middle’?", International Journal of Educational Management, 12(3), 108–113.
- Barbato, G., and M. Turri, (2019), "What Do Positioning Paths of Universities Tell About The Diversity of Higher Education Systems? An Exploratory Study", Studies in Higher Education, 1-14.
- Bonaccorsi, A. (2009), Division of Academic Labour is Limited by the size of the Market. Strategy and Differentiation of European Universities in Doctoral Education. In M. Holmén, M. Mckelvey (Eds.), Learning to Compete in European Universities: From Social Institution to Knowledge Business (p. 90– 121). Cheltenham: Edward Elgar.
- Brankovic, J. (2014), Positioning of Private Higher Education Institutions in the Western Balkans: Emulation, Differentiation and Legitimacy Building. In J. Brankovic, M. Kovačević, P. Maassen, B. Stensaker, M. Vukasović (Eds.), The Re-Institutionalization of Higher Education in the Western Balkans: The Interplay Between European Ideas, Domestic Policies, and Institutional Practices (p. 121–144). Frankfurt Am Main, Peter Lang.
- Cattaneo, M., H. Horta, P. Malighetti, M. Meoli and S. Paleari (2018), "The Relationship Between Competition and Programmatic Diversification", Studies in Higher Education, 44(7), 1222-1240.
- Çatı, K., Ö. Kethüda and Y. Bilgin (2016), "Positioning Strategies Of Universities: An Investigation on Universities in İstanbul", Education and Science, 41(185), 219–234.
- Dorozhkin, E. M., O. B. Akimova, A. V. Lazerev, D. O. Spylaev and A. S. Kornilov (2016), "The Experience of Positioning The University at The Educational Services Market", International Journal of Environmental Science and Science Education, 11(16), 9328–9338.
- Fumasoli, T. (2018), Strategic Planning in Higher Education. In Springer Encyclopedia of Higher Education, Dordrecht: Springer.
- Fumasoli, T., G. Barbato and M. Turri (2020), "The Determinants of University Strategic Positioning: A Reappraisal of The Organisation", Higher Education, 80, 305–334.
- Fumasoli, T., and J. Huisman (2013), Strategic Agency and System Diversity: Conceptualizing Institutional Positioning in Higher Education, Minerva, 51(2), 155–169.
- Haezendonck, E., K. Willems and J. Hillemann (2017), "Doing Good While Performing Well at Flemish Universities: Benchmarking Higher Education Institutions in Terms of Social Inclusion and Market Performance", International Journal of Inclusive Education, 21(1), 31–47.
- Hou, A. Y., R. Morse and C. L. Chiang (2012), "An Analysis of Mobility in Global Rankings: Making Institutional Strategic Plans and Positioning for Building World-Class Universities", Higher Education Research and Development, 31(6), 841-857.
- Jun, S. P., and J. D. H. Park (2017), "Visualization of Brand Positioning Based on Consumer Web Search Information: Using Social Network Analysis", Internet Research, 27(2), 1-36.
- Kayombo, K., and S. Carter (2017), "Competitive Positioning of A Higher Education Institution in Zambia: The Case Of ZCAS", Journal of Education and Vocational Research, 8(2), 6–21.
- Klumpp, M., H. De Boer and H. Vossensteyn (2014), "Comparing National Policies on Institutional Profiling in Germany and The Netherlands", Comparative Education, 50(2), 156–176.
- Maringe, F. (2006), "University and Course Choice: Implications for Positioning, Recruitment and Marketing", International Journal of Educational Management, 20(6), 466–479.
- Martinez, M., and M. Wolverton (2009), Innovative Strategy Making in Higher Education, Charlotte, Information Age Pub.
- Miller, G. N. S. (2020), "I’ll Know One When I See It: Using Social Network Analysis to Define Comprehensive Institutions Through Organizational Identity", Res High Education, 61, 51–87.
- Newman, M. E. J. (2010), Networks: An Introduction, New York: Oxford University Press.
- Niculescu, M. (2006), "Strategic Positioning in Romanian Higher Education". Journal of Organizational Change Management, 19(6), 725-737.
- Özdaşlı, K. (2015). "Positioning in Business Administration Education at Universities Established in 2006: A Content Analysis on Strategic Drivers and Curriculum", Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, 174 (1), 2926-2933.
- Ries, A., and J. Trout (1986), "Marketing Warfare", Journal of Consumer Marketing, 3(4), 77-82.
- Seeber, M., B. Lepori, T. Agasisti, R. Tijssen, C. Montanari and G. Catalano (2012), "Relational Arenas in A Regional Higher Education System: Insights from An Empirical Analysis", Research Evaluation, 21, 291-305.
- The Council of Higher Education (YÖK) Official Web Site, (2020). Research and Candidate Research Universities Report. https://www.yok.gov.tr/Sayfalar/Haberler/2020/yok-ten-arastirma-ve-aday-arastirma-universiteleri-degerlendirilmesi.aspx. (Access date: 28.05.2021).
- The Council of Higher Education (YÖK) Official Web Site, (2019). Foundation Higher Education Institutions Report. https://www.yok.gov.tr/Sayfalar/Haberler/2020/yok-ten-arastirma-ve-aday-arastirma-universiteleri-degerlendirilmesi.aspx. (Access date: 28.05.2021).
- Van Vught, F. and J. Huisman (2013), "Institutional Profiles: Some Strategic Tools", Tuning Journal for Higher Education, 1(1), 21–36.
- Webster, E. F. (1991), Industrial Marketing Strategy, 3rd. Ed., New York: John Wiley and Sons.
- Wilkins, S. (2020), "The Positioning and Competitive Strategies of Higher Education Institutions in The United Arab Emirates", International Journal of Educational Management, 34(1), 139-153