Can transformational leadership eliminate the negativity of technostress? Insights from the logistic industry
- Dönüşümcü Liderlik, Teknostres, Lojistik
- Transformational Leadership, Technostress, Logistic
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2021
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
This paper aims to reveal the relationship between transformational leadership and technostress. Quantitative research methods were adopted to determine the relationship. The model was examined using partial least squares based structural equation modelling using data from 334 employees working in logistics companies operating in Malatya. The findings of the research illustrate that transformational leadership behaviour affects technostress negatively. In other words, individuals who have transformational leaders faceless technostress than others. Since limited papers discuss these variables together, it is expected that the study may be helpful, especially for the logistic industry, due to the results of the relationship.
- Alam, M. A. (2016). Techno-stress and productivity: Survey evidence from the aviation industry. Journal of Air Transport Management, 50, 62-70.
- Alqatawenh, A. S. (2018). Transformational leadership style and its relationship with change management. Business: Theory and Practice, 19, 17-24.
- Andersen, J. A. (1995). Leadership and leadership theories – about what answers the leadership research can give. Oslo: Bedriftsøkonomens Forlag A/S.
- Arnetz, B. B. & Wiholm, C. (1997). Technological stress: Psychophysiological symptoms in modern offices. Journal of Psychosomatic Research, 43(1), 35-42
- Attar, M. (2014). Üst düzey yöneticilerin liderlik özelliklerinin örgütsel ustalık düzeyine etkisi: Türk bankacılık sektörü üzerine bir araştırma (Unpublished doctoral dissertation). Selçuk Üniversitesi Sosyal Bilimler Enstitüsü, Konya.
- Avolio, B. J., Waldman, D. A. & Yammarino F. J. (1991). Leading in the 1990’s: The four i’s of transformational leadership. Journal European Industrial Training, 15(4), 9-16.
- Ayyagari, R., Varun, G. & Russell, P. (2011). Technostress: Technological antecedents and implications. Management Information Systems, 35(4), 831-859.
- Barling, J., Christie A. & Turner N. (2008). Pseudo-transformational leadership: Towards the development and test of a model. Journal of Business Ethics, 81(4), 851-861.
- Bass, B. M. & Avolio, B. J. (1994). Transformational leadership and organizational culture. The International Journal of Public Administration, 17(3), 541-554.
- Bass, B. M. & Stogdill, R. M. (1990). Bass and Stogdill`s handbook of leadership: Theory, research and managerial applications. New York: The Free Press.
- Bass, B. M. (1997). Does the transactional–transformational leadership paradigm transcend organizational and national boundaries?. American Psychologist, 52(2), 130-139.
- Bass, B. M., Avolio, B. J. & Atwater, L. (1996). The transformational and transactional leadership of men and women. Applied Psychology, 45(1), 5-34.
- Boyer-Davis, S. (2018). The relationship between technology stress and leadership style: An empirical investigation. Journal of Business and Educational Leadership, 8(1), 48-65.
- Bryman, A. (2016). Social research methods. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Burns, J. M. (1978). Leadership. New York: Harper and Row.
- Califf, C.B., Sarker, S., Sarker, S. & Fitzgerald, C. (2015). The bright and dark sides of technostress: An empirical study of healthcare workers. Thirty-Sixth International Conference on Information Systems, Fort Worth in (pp. 1-13). Texas: USA
- Carlson, D. S. & Perrewe, P. L. (1995). Institutionalization of organizational ethics through transformational leadership. Journal of Business Ethics, 14, 829-838.
- Chiappetta, M. (2017). The technostress: Definition, symptoms and risk prevention. Senses and Sciences, 4(1), 358-361.
- Çetin, D. (2017). Okul yöneticilerinin teknostres algıları ile bireysel yenilikçilik özellikleri arasındaki ilişkinin incelenmesi (Edirne ili örneği) (Unpublished master thesis), Trakya Üniversitesi Sosyal Bilimler Enstitüsü, Edirne.
- Çicek, B. & Kılınç, E. (2020). Teknostresin presenteizm ve işten ayrılma niyetine etkisinde dönüşümcü liderliğin aracı rolü. Business and Economics Research Journal, 11(2), 555-570.
- Dijkstra, T. K., & Henseler, J. (2015). Consistent partial least squares path modeling. MIS Quarterly, 39(2), 297-316.
- Doğrular, M. M. (2019). Teknostresin verimlilik üzerine etkisi (Unpublished doctoral dissertation). Marmara Üniversitesi Sağlık Bilimleri Enstitüsü, İstanbul.
- Downton, J. V. (1973). Rebel leadership: Commitment and charisma in a revolutionary process. New York: Free Press.
- Faul, F., Erdfelder, E., Lang, A. G., & Buchner, A. (2007). G* Power 3: A flexible statistical power analysis program for the social, behavioral, and biomedical sciences. Behavior Research Methods, 39(2), 175-191.
- Fornell, C., & Larcker, D. F. (1981). Evaluating structural equation models with unobservable variables and measurement error. Journal of Marketing Research, 18(1), 39-50.
- George, R., Chiba, M. & Scheepers, C. B. (2017). An investigation into the effect of leadership style on stress-related presenteeism in South African knowledge workers. SA Journal of Human Resource Management, 15(0), 1-13.
- Gomes, A. R. (2014). Transformational leadership: Theory, research, and application to sports. In C. Mohiyeddini (Ed.), Contemporary topics and trends in the psychology of sports (pp. 53-114). New York: Nova Science Publishers.
- Gonzales, A. L., McCrory Calarco, J. & Lynch, T. (2020). Technology problems and student achievement gaps: A validation and extension of the technology maintenance construct. Communication Research, 47(5), 750-770.
- Hair, J. F., Hult, G. T. M., Ringle, C. & Sarstedt, M. (2017). A primer on partial least squares structural equation modeling (PLS-SEM). New York: Sage publications.
- Hair, J. F., Risher, J. J., Sarstedt, M. & Ringle, C. M. (2019). When to use and how to report the results of PLS-SEM. European Business Review, 31(1), 2-24.
- Harman, H. H. (1967). Modern factor analysis. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- Henseler, J. (2018). Partial least squares path modeling: Quo vadis?. Quality & Quantity, 52(1), 1-8.
- Henseler, J., Ringle, C. M., & Sarstedt, M. (2015). A new criterion for assessing discriminant validity in variance-based structural equation modeling. Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 43(1), 115-135.
- Henseler, J., Hubona, G. & Ray, P. A. (2016). Using PLS path modeling in new technology research: Updated guidelines. Industrial Management & Data Systems, 116(1), 2-20.
- Hırlak, B. & Kara, E. (2018). Organizational change and Leadership. In Ö. Özçelik (Ed.) Studies on Interdisciplinary Economics and Business – Volume I, (255-269 pp.), Bern: Peter Lang Publishing.
- Ilgaz, G., Özgür, H. ve Çuhadar, C. (2016). The adaptation of technostress scale into Turkish. 11th International Balkan Education and Science Congress, Poreč, Croatia.
- Karip, Y . (1998). Dönüşümcü liderlik . Kuram ve Uygulamada Eğitim Yönetimi , 16(16), 443-465 .
- Khan, A., Rehman, H. & Rehman S.(2013). An empirical analysis of correlation between technostress and job satisfaction: A case of KPK, Pakistan. Pakistan Journal of Library and Information Science. 13, 9-15.
- Kline, R. B. (2005). Principles and practice of structural equation modeling. New York: Guilford Press.
- Kock, N. (2015). Common method bias in PLS-SEM: A full collinearity assessment approach. International Journal of e-Collaboration (IJEC), 11(4), 1-10.
- Kotter, J. P (1990). What leaders really do?. Harvard Business Review, 68(3), 103-111.
- Kouzes, J. & B. Posner. (1987). The leadership challenge. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass Inc.
- La Torre, G., Esposito, A., Sciarra, I., & Chiappetta, M. (2019). Definition, symptoms and risk of techno-stress: a systematic review. International Archives of Occupational and Environmental Health, 92(1), 13–35.
- Larson, A. (1968). The president nobody knew. New York: Popular Library.
- Larsson, J. & Vinberg, S. (2010) Leadership behaviour in successfulorganisations: Universal or situation-dependent?. Total Quality Management, 21(3), 317-334.
- Michael A. P. (2008). Emotional intelligence and critical thinking relationships to transformational leadership (Unpublished doctoral dissertation), University on Phoenix, North America.
- Munir, F., Nielsen, K. & Carneiro, I. G. (2010). Transformational leadership and depressive symptoms: A prospective study. Journal of Affective Disorders, 120(1), 235–239.
- Okebaram & Moses, S. (2013). Minimizing the effects of technostress in today’s organization. International Journal of Emerging Technology and Advanced Engineering, 3, 649-658.
- Romero, L. M., Platts S. H., Schoech S. J., Wada, H., Crespi, E., Martin, L. B. & Buck, C. L. (2015) Understanding stress in the healthy animal—potential paths for progress. Stress, 18(5), 491–497
- Sashkin, M. & Rosenbach W. E. (1993). A new leadership paradigm. Contemporary Issues in Leadership, 3, 87-108.
- Streukens, S. & Leroi-Werelds, S. (2016). Bootstrapping and PLS-SEM: A step-by-step guide to get more out of your bootstrap results. European Management Journal, 34(6), 618-632.
- Tarafdar M, Tu Q, Ragu-Nathan B. S. & Ragu-Nathan T. S. (2007). The impact of technostress on role stress and productivity. Journal of Management Information Systems, 24(1), 301-328.
- Tepper, B. J. (2007). Abusive supervision in work organizations: Review, synthesis, and research agenda. Journal of Management, 33(3), 261-289
- Tichy, N. M. & Devanna M. A. (1986). The transformational leader, USA: Wiley Press.
- Variya, P. B. Patel, N. K. (2020). Technostress: A conceptual framework. Studies in Indian Place Names, 40(23), 492-495.
- Waldman, D., Bass B. M. & Yammarion, R. (1990). Adding to contingent-reward behavior: The augmenting effects of charismatic leadership. Group and Organizational Studies. 15(4), 381-394.
- Yıldız, F. (2013). Yöneticilerin algılanan sahte ve gerçek dönüşümcü liderlik davranışlarını ayırt etmede makyavelizm ile kişisel açılım ve geri bildirimin etkileri (Unpublished doctoral dissertation). Gazi Üniversitesi Sosyal Bilimler Enstitüsü, Ankara.
- Yuvaraj, M. & Singh, A. K. (2015). Effects and measures of technostress among librarians in selected university libraries of Delhi. Library Philosophy and Practice, 1-13.