Organisational structure revisited
- Organisational structure, Environmental Dynamism, Environmental Hostility, Top Management Team, Organization Size, Technology
- Örgüt Yapısı, Çevresel Dinamizm, Çevresel Olumsuzluk, Tepe Yönetim Ekibi, Örgüt Büyüklüğü, Teknoloji
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2021
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
This study's primary goal is to investigate all variables that are reported to affect the organisational structure in the same research model. For this purpose, effects of Top Management Team profile variables, including Strategic Decision-Making Style and Strategic Decision-Making Group Size, Environmental Dynamism, Environmental Hostility, Organization Size (both annual turnover and number of employees are taken separately as the indicators of organisation size), Organization’s Age, and Technology (three technological levels: low, medium and high technologies) on the Organizational Structure analysed. Organisation’s Degrees of Centralization and Formalization were taken as organisational structure variables. The research adopted a convenient sampling method and was conducted with 455 managers working in Turkey's different organisations. The Partial Least Square-Structural Equation Model (PLS-SEM) approach is used to assess the effects of Top Management Team profile variables, environmental factors, and organisational factors on both the degree of centralisation and formalisation. The results show that TMT Age, Environmental Hostility, Organizational Size (Annual Turnover only), and Technology have a positive and significant effect only on formalisation, while Strategic Decision-Making Group Size, Strategic Decision-Making Style, and Environmental Dynamism on both The Degree of Centralisation and Formalisation. This study also showed that the effects of most of the variables mentioned in the literature as antecedents of the organisational structure could not be determined while all the variables mentioned above are included in the same research model.
- Akdemir, A. (2018), Örgütlerin Yönetimi: Kavramsal-Kuramsal, Tematik ve Kurumsal Açılardan Yönetim, İstanbul: Beta Yayınları.
- Anbar, A., & Eker, M. (2009), “Bireysel Yatırımcıların Finansal Risk Algılamalarını Etkileyen Demografik ve Sosyoekonomik Faktörler”, ZKÜ Sosyal Bilimler Dergisi, Vol. 5, No. 9, 129–150.
- Aslan, M. (2016), Yönetici Yetkinlik Denetimi, Unpublished Master Thesis, İstanbul Arel Üniversitesi Sosyal Bilimler Enstitüsü, İstanbul.
- Aslan, M. (2020), Tepe Yönetimin Profili ve Firma Yapısının Sezgiye Dayalı Stratejik Karar Almaya Etkilerinin Farklı Sektörlerde İncelenmesi, Unpublished Doctoral Thesis, İstanbul Arel Üniversitesi Sosyal Bilimler Enstitüsü, Istanbul.
- Bailey, B. C., & Peck, S. I. (2013), “Boardroom Strategic Decision-Making Style: Understanding the Antecedents”, Corporate Governance: An International Review, Vol. 21, No. 2, 131–146.
- Bantel, K. A., and Jackson, S. E. (1989), “Top Management And Innovations in Banking: Does The Composition of The Top Team Make A Difference?”, Strategic Management Journal, Vol. 10, 107-124.
- Blau, P. M., & Schoenherr, R. A. (1971), The Structure Of Organizations, New York: Basic Books.
- Chandler, A. D. (1962), Strategy and Structure: Chapters in the History of American Enterprise, Boston, MA: MIT Press.
- Child, J. (1972), “Organisational Structure, Environment and Performance: The Role of Strategic Choice”, Sociology, Vol. 6, No. 1, 1-22.
- Child, J. (1973), Man and Organization, London: Allen and Unwin.
- Child, J. (1975), “Managerial and Organisational Factors Associated With Company Performance, Part II - A Contingency Analysis”, Journal of Management Studies, Vol. 12, No. 1-2, 12-27.
- Child, J. (1997), “Strategic Choice in The Analysis of Action, Structure, Organisations and Environment: Retrospect and Prospect”, Organization Studies, Vol. 18, No. 1, 43–76.
- Child, J. (1974), “Managerial and Organisational Factors Associated With Company Performance: Part I”, Journal of Management Studies, Vol. 11, 175–189.
- Donaldson L. (2006), The Contingency Theory of Organizational Design: Challenges and Opportunities. In: Burton R.M., Håkonsson D.D., Eriksen B., Snow C.C. (Eds.) “Organization Design. Information and Organization Design Series”, Vol 6., Boston, MA: Springer.
- Elbelbessi, O. (2018), Entrepreneurial Orientation And Business Performance: An Integrative Model Proposition And Empirical Analysis, Unpublished Doctoral Thesis, Çukurova University, Institute of Social Sciences, Adana.
- Falk, R. F., & Miller, N. B. (1992), A Primer for Soft Modeling, Akron: University of Akron Press.
- Ferreira, P., Raisch, S., & Klarner, P. (2014), “Staying Agile in The Saddle: CEO Tenure, TMT Change, and Organizational Ambidexterity”, Academy of Management Proceedings, Vol. 1, 16112-16112.
- Ford, J. D., & Slocum, J. W. Jr. (1977), “Size, Technology, Environment and The Structure of Organisations”, The Academy of Management Review, Vol. 2, No. 4, 561-575.
- Fornell, C., and Larcker, D. F. (1981), “Evaluating Structural Equation Models With Unobservable Variables and Measurement Error”, Journal of Marketing Research, Vol. 18, No. 1, 39-50.
- Frink, D. D., Robinson, R. K., Reithel, B., Arthur, M. M., Ammeter, A. P., Ferris, G. R., Kaplan, D. M., & Morrisette, H. S. (2003), “Gender Demography and Organisation Performance: A Two-Study Investigation With Convergence”, Group & Organization Management, Vol. 28, No. 1, 127-147.
- Hair, J. F., Risher, J. J., Sarstedt, M., & Ringle, C. M. (2019), “When to Use and How to Report The Results of PLS-SEM”, European Business Review, Vol. 31, No. 1, 2-24.
- Hambrick, D.C., & Fukutomi, G.D.S. (1991), “The Seasons of CEO’s Tenure”, The Academy of Management Review, Vol. 16, No. 4, 719-742.
- Hambrick, D. C., & Mason, P. A. (1984), “Upper Echelons: The Organization as a Reflection of Its Top Managers”, Academy of Management Review, Vol. 9, No. 2, 193-206.
- Henseler, J., Ringle, C.M., & Sarstedt, M. (2015), “A New Criterion For Assessing Discriminant Validity in Varience-Based Structural Equation Modelling”, Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, Vol. 43, 115-135.
- Inkson, J. H. K., Pugh, D. S., & Hickson, D. J. (1970), “Organization Context and Structure: An Abbreviated Replication”, Administrative Science Quarterly, Vol. 15, No. 3, 318-329.
- Kalay, F., & Lynn, G. S. (2016), “The Impact of Organisational Structure on Management Innovation: An Empirical Research in Turkey”, Journal of Business, Economics and Finance (JBEF), Vol. 5, No. 1, 12-137. DOI: 10.17261/Pressacademia.2016116656.
- Khandwalla, P. N. (1972), “Environment and Its Impact on The Organization”, International Studies of Management and Organization, Vol. 2, 297-313.
- Khatri, N., & Ng, H. A. (2000), “The Role of Intuition in Strategic Decision Making”, Human Relations, Vol. 53, No. 1, 57-86.
- Koçel, T. (2011), İşletme Yöneticiliği (13th Edition), Istanbul: Beta Yayınları.
- Korsgaard, M. A., Schweiger, D. M., & Sapienza, H. J. (1995), “Building Commitment, Attachment, and Trust in Strategic Decision-Making Teams: The Role of Procedural Justice”, The Academy of Management Journal, Vol. 38, No. 1, 60-84.
- Lawrence, P. R., & Lorsch, J. W. (1967), Organization and Environment, Boston: Harvard University Press.
- Lechner, C., & Gudmundsson, S. V. (2014), “Entrepreneurial Orientation, Firm Strategy and Small Firm Performance”, International Small Business Journal, Vol. 32, No. 1, 36–60.
- Lyberg, L., Biemer, P., Collins, M., De Leeuw, E., Dippo, C., Schwarz, N., & Trewin, D. (1997), Survey Measurement and Process Quality, New York: Wiley.
- Miller, C. C., Burke, L. M., & Glick, W. H. (1998), “Cognitive Diversity Among Upper-Echelon Executives: Implications For Strategic Decision Process”, Strategic Management Journal, Vol. 19, 39–58.
- Mintzberg, H. (2015), Örgütler ve Yapıları (Original work published in 1979), Ankara: Nobel Akademik Yayıncılık.
- Mohr, L. B. (1971), “Organizational Technology and Organizational Structure”, Administrative Science Quarterly, Vol. 16, No. 4, 444-459.
- Neilson, G. L., Martin, K. L., & Powers, E. (2008), “The Secrets to Successful Strategy Execution”, Harvard Business Review, June, 61-70.
- Papadakis, V. M., and Barwise, P. (2002), “How Much Do CEOs and Top Managers Matter in Strategic Decision-Making?”, British Journal of Management, Vol. 13, 83-95.
- Podsakoff, P. M., and Organ, D. W. (1986), “Self-Reports in Organizational Research: Problems and Prospects”, Journal of Management, Vol. 12, No. 4, 531–544.
- Pugh, D. S., Hickson, D. J., Hinings, C. R., & Turner, C. (1969), “The Context of Organization Structures”, Administrative Science Quarterly, Vol. 14, No. 1, 91-114.
- Routamaa, V. (1985), “Organizational Structuring: An Empirical Analysis of The Relationships and Dimensions of Structures in Certain Finnish Companies”, Journal of Management Studies, Vol. 22, No. 5, 498-522.
- Saraç, M., & Kahyaoğlu, M. B. (2011), “Bireysel Yatırımcıların Risk Alma Eğilimine Etki Eden Sosyo-Ekonomik ve Demografik Faktörlerin Analizi”, BDDK Bankacılık ve Finansal Piyasalar, Vol. 5, No. 2, 135-157.
- Shepherd, N. G., & Rudd, J. M. (2014), “The Influence of Context on the Strategic Decision-Making Process: A Review of the Literature”, International Journal of Management Reviews, Vol. 16, 340–364.
- Slater, S., Paliwoda, S., & Slater, J. (2007), “Ethnicity and Decision Making For Internationalisation”, Management Decision, Vol. 45, 1622–1635.
- Smart B. D. (1998), Topgrading: How Leading Companies Win by Hiring, Coaching, and Keeping the Best People, Englewood Cliffs: Prentice Hall.
- Taylor, R. N. (1975), “Age and Experience as Determinants of Managerial Information Processing and Decision Making Performance”, Academy of Management Journal, Vol. 18, 74–81.
- Terjesen, S., & Szerb, L. (2008), “Dice Thrown From The Beginning? An Empirical Investigation of Determinants of Firm Level Growth Expectations”, Estudios de Economía, Vol. 35, No. 2, 153-178.
- Ürü Sanı, F. O., Wolff, R. A., & Demir, B. (2016), “Çevresel Determinizmin Stratejik Karar Alma Sürecindeki Rolü”, Eurasian Academy of Sciences Social Sciences Journal, Vol. 1, No. 1, 444-465.
- Ürü, F. O. (2009), Örgütsel Öğrenmenin Çalışan Yaratıcılığına Etkisi (İSO 500’ de Yer Alan Demir-Çelik, Otomotiv ve Tekstil Sektörlerindeki İşletmelerde Bir Araştırma), Unpublished Doctoral Thesis, Marmara Üniversitesi Sosyal Bilimler Enstitüsü, Istanbul.
- Ürü, F. O., Çalışkan, S. C., Atan, Ö., & Aksu, M. (2011), “How Much Entrepreneurial Characteristics Matter in Strategic Decision-Making?”, Journal of Global Strategic Management, Vol. 5, No. 1, 109-133.
- Voorhees, C. M., Brady, M. K., Calantone, R., & Ramirez, E. (2016), “Discriminant Validity Testing in Marketing: An Analysis, Causes For Concern, and Proposed Remedies, Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, Vol. 44, No. 1, 119-134.
- Wiersema, M. F., & Bantel, K. A. (1992), “Top Management Team Demography and Corporate Strategic Change”, Academy of Management Journal, Vol. 35, 91–121.
- Yüksekbilgili, Z., Akduman, G., & Hatipoğlu, Z. (2016), “Eğitim Düzeyine Göre Örgütsel Adalet Algısı”, Akademik Sosyal Araştırmalar Dergisi, No. 32, 198-212.