The effect on perfectionism on burnout: An investigation on marble employees
- Kendine Yönelik Mükemmeliyetçilik,
- : Perfectionism, Self-oriented perfectionism, Burnout
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2021
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
This study examines the relationship between the traits of a perfectionist personality and burnout. Perfectionists constantly set extremely high standards and make great efforts to achieve. In this regard, it can be stated that perfectionism is a concept that is closely related to burnout. The sample consisted of 158 employees working in a marble enterprise operating in the province of Burdur. As a result of the research, all hypotheses were supported. A statistically positive and significant relationship between the variables in the model was found. In other words, a significant and positive relationship was found between self-oriented perfectionism and emotional exhaustion, depersonalization, and personal accomplishment, which are the sub-scales of burnout.
- Adler, A. (1956). The Neurotic Disposition, H. L. Ansbacher and R. R. Ansbacher (Eds.). The Individual Psychology of Alfred Adler (pp. 239-262). New York: Harper
- Aghdasi, M. T. (2014). The relationship between perfectionism and burnout in junior-elite athletes international. Journal of Science Culture and Sport (IntJSCS), 2(1), 27-39.
- Anshel, M. H., and Mansouri, H. (2005). Influences of perfectionism on motor performance, affect, and causal attributions in response to critical information feedback. Journal of Sport Behavior, 28(2).
- Anvari, M., Kalali, N. and Gholipour, A. (2011). How does personality affect on job burnout? International Journal of Trade Economics and Finance, 2(2).
- Appleton, P. R., Hall, H. K., and Hill, A. P. (2009). Relations between multi-dimensional perfectionism and burnout in junior-elite male athletes. Psychology of Sport and Exercise, 10(4), 457-465.
- Ardiç, K., and Polatci, S. (2009). Tükenmişlik sendromu ve madalyonun öbür yüzü: işle bütünleşme [Burnout syndrome and the other side of medallion: engagement]. Erciyes Üniversitesi İktisadi ve İdari Bilimler Fakültesi Dergisi[Erciyes University Journal of Economics and Administrative Sciences], (32), 21-46.
- Badawy S. M. and Mohamad M. S. (2015). Perfectionism and job burnout: does religious coping moderate the relationship?. International Journal of Business and Social Research, 5(12).
- Balevre, P. S., Cassells, J. and Buzaianu, E. (2012). Professional nursing burnout and irrational thinking: a replication study. Journal for Nurses in Professional Development, 28(1), 2-8.
- Burns D. D. (1980). The perfectionist's script for self-defeat. Psychology Today, 34-51.
- Büyükateş, V. (2018). Mükemmeliyetçilik, Olumsuz Değerlendirilme Korkusu ve Yaşam Doyumu Arasındaki Ilişkilerin Incelenmesi [The Relationship Between Perfectionism, Fear Of Negative Evaluation And Life Satisfaciton]. Master thesis, Lefkoşa: Near East University.
- Cakınberk, A. (2011). Studying the relationship between employees occupational burnout levels and satisfaction of life: a research in private banks. African Journal of Business Management, 5(16), 6825-6838.
- Çam, Z., Deniz, K. Z. and Kurnaz, A. (2014). Okul tükenmişliği: algılanan sosyal destek, mükemmeliyetçilik ve stres değişkenlerine dayalı bir yapısal eşitlik modeli sınaması [School burnout: testing a structural equation model based on percieved social support, perfectionism and stress variables]. Eğitim ve Bilim [Education and Science], 39, (173).
- Cenkseven Önder, F. and Kırdök, O. (2009). Ön ergenlerin olumlu-olumsuz mükemmeliyetçilik düzeylerinin anne-çocuk ilişkisini algılamaları açısından incelenmesi [Examining positive and negative perfectionism levels with respect to early adolescents’ perception of mother-child relation]. Mersin Üniversitesi Eğitim Fakültesi Dergisi [Mersin University Journal of The Faculty of Education], 5(2), 263-274.
- Chang, E. C., Lin, N. J., Herringshaw, A. J., Sanna, L. J., Fabian, C. G., Perera, M. J., et al. (2011). Understanding the link between perfectionism and adjustment in college students: examining the role of maximizing. Personality and Individual Differences, 50(7), 1074-1078.
- Chen, L. H., Kee, Y. H., Chen, M. Y. and Tsai, Y. M. (2008). Relation of perfectionism with athletes' burnout: further examination. Perceptual and Motor Skills, 106, 811-820.
- Childs , J.H. and Stoeber, J. (2012). Do you want me to be perfect? two longitudinal studies on socially prescribed perfectionism. Stress And Burnout In The Workplace, Work & Stress, 26 (4), 347-364.
- Childs, J. H., and Stoeber, J. (2010). Self-oriented, other-oriented, and socially prescribed perfectionism in employees: relationships with burnout and engagement. Journal of Workplace Behavioral Health, 25(4), 269-281.
- Cho, H. H., and Kang, J. M. (2017). Factors influencing clinical practice burnout in student nurses. Child Health Nursing Research, 23(2), 199-206.
- Çiçek, B. and Aknar, A. (2019). Kişilik özelliklerinin tükenmişlik ve presenteizm davranışları üzerindeki etkisi [The effect of personality traits on burnout and presenteeism behaviors]. Üçüncü Sektör Sosyal Ekonomi Dergisi [Third Sector Social Economic Review], 54(3), 1234-1258.
- Çimen, M. (2000). Türk Silahlı Kuvvetleri Sağlık Personelinin Tükenmişlik, İş Doyumu, Kuruma Bağlılık ve İşten Ayrılma Niyetlerine İlişkin Bir Alan Araştırması [A field study for burnout, job satisfaction, organisational commitment and intention to leave of health personnel in Turkish Armed Forces]. Doctoral Thesis, Ankara: T. C. Genelkurmay Başkanlığı Gülhane Askeri Tıp Akademisi Sağlık Bilimleri Enstitüsü.
- Demirci, E. and Çepikkurt, F. (2018). Examination of the relationship between passion, perfectionism and burnout in athletes. Universal Journal of Educational Research. 6(6), 1252-1259.
- Demirezen, M., and Şenol, Y. (2020). Mermer sektöründe çalışan işçilerde stres düzeyi ve tükenmişliği etkileyen faktörler: bir fabrika örneği [Stress level and burnout in workers in the marble business: example of a factory]. Kocatepe Tıp Dergisi [Kocatepe Medical Journal], 21(2), 157-161.
- D'Souza, F., Egan , S.J. and Rees, C.S. (2011). The relationship between perfectionism, stress and burnout in clinical psychologists. Behaviour Change, 28 (1), 17–28.
- Eren, S. and Günlü Küçükaltan, E. (2017). Mükemmeliyetçiliğin iş performansına etkileri: aşçılar üzerine bir araştırma [Effects of perfectionism to job performance: an ınvestigation on chefs]. Anatolia: Turizm Araştırmaları Dergisi [Anatolia: A Journal of Tourism Research], 28 (2) , 281-292 . DOI: 10.17123/atad.362640
- Ergin, C. (1992). Doktor ve Hemşirelerde Tükenmişlik ve Maslach Tükenmişlik Ölçeğinin Uyarlaması, VII. Ulusal Psikoloji Kongresi Bilimsel Çalışmaları El Kitabı, 143-154.
- Fairlie, P. and Flett, G.L. (2003). Perfectionism At Work: Impacts On Burnout, Job Satisfaction, And Depression. Poster presented at the 111th Annual Convention of the American Psychological Association, Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
- Flett, G. Hewitt, P. and De Rosa, T. (1996). Dimensions of perfectionism, psychosocial adjustment and social skills. Personality and Individual Differences, 20(2), 143-150.
- Flett, G.L. and Hewitt, P.L. (2006). Positive versus negative perfectionism in psychopathology. Behaviour Modification, 30, 472–495.
- Freudenberger, H. (1974). Staff burnout. Journal of Social Issues, 30, 159-165 .
- Frost R. O., Marten P., Lahart C. and Rosenblate R. (1990). The dimensions of perfectionism. Cognit Ther Res, 14, 449-68.
- Gürbüz, S. and Şahin F. (2016). Sosyal Bilimlerde Araştırma Yöntemleri: Felsefe – Yöntem– Analiz. Ankara: Seçkin Yayınları.
- Hall, H. K. (2006). Perfectionism: A Hallmark Quality Of World Class Performers, Or A Psychological İmpediment To Athletic Development, In Perspectives On Sport And Exercise Psychology: Essential Processes For Attaining Peak Performance, Edited by: Hackfort, D. and Tenenbaum, G. 1, 178–211. Aachen, , Germany: Meyer and Meyer.
- Hewitt P. L. and Flett G. L. (2004). The cognitive and treatment aspects of perfectionism: introduction to the special issue. J Ration Emot Cogn Behav Ther, 22, 233-40.
- Hewitt P.L. and Flett G.L. (1991). Dimesion of perfectionism in unipolar depression. J Abnorm Psychol, 100, 98-101.
- Hewitt, P. L., Flett, G. L. (1989). The multidimentional perfectionism scale: development and validation. Can Psychol, 30, 339-360.
- Hill A. P. and Appleton, P. R. (2011). The predictive ability of the frequency of perfectionistic cognitions, self-oriented perfectionism, and socially prescribed perfectionism in relation to symptoms of burnout in youth rugby players. Journal of Sports Sciences, 29(7), 695–703.
- Hill, A. P. and Curran, T. (2015). Multi-dimensional perfectionism and burnout: a meta-analysis. Personality and Social Psychology Review.
- Hill, A. P., Hall, H. K. and Appleton, P. R. (2010). Perfectionism and athlete burnout in junior elite athletes: the mediating role of coping tendencies. Anxiety, Stress, & Coping, 23 (4), 415-430.
- Hill, A. P. (2013). Perfectionism and burnout in junior soccer players: a test of the 2× 2 model of dispositional perfectionism. Journal of Sport and Exercise Psychology, 35 (1), 18–29. doi: 10.1123/jsep.35.1.18.
- Horney, K. (1950). Neurosis and Human Growth, New York: Norton.
- Hralbuik, C. (2009). The Dark Side of Goal Setting: Examining The Relationship Between Perfectionism and Maximum versus Typical Employee Performance, Doctoral thesis. Toronto: Toronto University School of Joseph L. Rothman.
- Kakırman, A. and Birsel M. (2015). An study applied in banking sector about the relationship between perfectionism and burnout. Siyaset, Ekonomi ve Yönetim Araştırmaları Dergisi, 3(3).
- Kalaycı, Ş. (2005). SPSS Uygulamalı Çok Değişkenli Istatistik Teknikleri, Ankara: Asil Yayın Dağıtım.
- Kanten, P. and Yeşiltaş, M., (2015). The effects of positive and negative perfectionism on work engagement, psychological well-being and emotional exhaustion. Procedia Economics and Finance, 23: 1367 – 1375.
- Lazarus, R.S. (1999). Stress And Emotion: A New Synthesis, New York: Springer.
- Lee, R. T. and B. E. Ashforth (1993). A further examination of managerial burnout: toward an integrated model. Journal of Organizational Behavior, 14, 3-20.
- Maslach, C. and Jackson, S. (1981). The measurement of experienced burnout. Journal of Organizational Behaviour, 2(2), 99-113.
- Maslach, C. and Jackson, S. E. (1986). Maslach Burnout Inventory (2nd Ed.) Palo Alto, CA: Consulting Psychologist Press.
- Maslach, C., Schaufeli, W. and Leiter, M. (2001). Job burnout. Annual Review Psychology, 52, 397-422.
- Mermer Şehri Burdur, http://www.burdur.gov.tr/mermer-sehri-burdur, (Retrieved on 05.05.2019)
- Mitchelson, J. K., and Burns, L. R. (1998). Career mothers and perfectionism: stress at work and at home. Personality and Individual Differences, 25(3), 477-485.
- Mor, S., Hy, D.I. and Flett, G.L. (1995). Perfectionism, control, and components of performance anxiety in professional artists. Cognitive Therapy and Research, 19: 207-225.
- Oral, M. (1999). The Relationship Between Dimensions of Perfectionism, Stressful Life Events and Depressive Symptoms in University Students' A Test Of Diathesis-Stress Model Of Depression'. Master Thesis, Ankara: Orta Doğu Teknik Üniversitesi.
- Özbilir, T., Day, A. D., Catano, V. M. (2015). Perfectionism at work: an investigation of adaptive and maladaptive perfectionism in the workplace among canadian and turkish employees. Applied Psychology: An International Review, 64 (1), 252–280.
- Rice, K. G. and Dwello, J.P. (2002). Perfectionism and selfdevelopment: implications for college adjustment. Journal of Counselling & Development, 80: 194-195.
- Sakal, Ö. and Yıldız, S. (2017). Takipçi mükemmeliyetçiliği ile duygusal tükenmişlik arasindaki ilişkide psikolojik iyi oluş ve liderlik tarzlarinin rolü [The roles of psychological well-being and leadership styles in the relationship between follower perfectionism and emotional exhaustion]. International Journal of Business, Economics and Management Perspectives, 2 (7), 37-57.
- Saruhan, Ş. C. and Özdemirci, A. (2016). Bilim, Felsefe ve Metodoloji. 4. Press. İstanbul: Beta Press.
- Scott, K., Moore, K., and Miceli, M. (1997). An exploration of the meaning and consequences of workaholism. Human Relations, 50, 287-314.
- Seong, H., Lee, S. and Chang, E. (2021). Perfectionism and academic burnout: longitudinal extension of the bifactor model of perfectionism. Personality and Individual Differences, 172, 110589.
- Sevüktekin, M. (2007). Ekonometrik Zaman Serileri Analizi, Ankara: Nobel Yayınevi.
- Shafran, R., Cooper, Z., and Fairburn, C. G. (2002). Clinical perfectionism: a cognitive–behavioural analysis. Behaviour Research and Therapy, 40(7), 773-791.
- Sherry, S.B., Hewitt, P.L., Sherry, D.L., Flett, G.L. and Graham, A.R. (2010). Perfectionism dimensions and research productivity in psychology professors: ımplications for understanding the (mal) adaptiveness of perfectionism. Canadian Journal of Behavioural Science, 42, 273– 283.
- Slaney, R. B., Rice, K. G., Mobley, M., Trippi, J. and Ashby, J. S. (2001). The revised almost perfect scale. Measurement and Evaluation in Counseling and Development, 34 (3), 130-146.
- Stoeber, J. and Eysenck, M.W. (2008). Perfectionism and efficiancy accuracy, response bias and ınvested time in proof reading performance. Journal of Research in Personality, 42: 1673-1678.
- Stoeber, J. and Rennert, D. (2008). Perfectionism in school teachers: relations with stress appraisals, coping styles, and burnout. Anxiety, Stress, and Coping, 21(1), 37-53.
- Stoeber, J., Davis, C.R. and Townley, J. (2013). Perfectionism and workaholism in employees: the role of work motivation. Personality and Individual Differences, 55: 733-738.
- Tabachnick, B. G. and Fidell, L. S. (2013). Using Multivariate Statistics. (6th ed.) Boston: Pearson.
- Tashman, L. S., Tenenbaum, G. and Eklund, R. (2010). The effect of perceived stress on the relationship between perfectionism and burnout in coaches. Anxiety, Stress, & Coping, 23(2), 195-212.
- Tziner, A. and Tanami, M. (2013). Examining the links between attachment, perfectionism, and job motivation potential with job engagement and workalcoholism. Journal of Work and Organizational Psychology, 29: 65-74.
- Wittenberg, K.J. and Norcross, J.C. (2001). Practitioner perfectionism: relationship to ambiguity tolerance and work satisfaction. Journal of Clinical Psychology, 57, 1543–1550.
- Wright, T. A., and Bonett, D. G. (1997). The contribution of burnout to work performance. Journal of Organizational Behavior: The International Journal of Industrial, Occupational and Organizational Psychology and Behavior, 18(5), 491-499.
- Zhang, Y., Gan, Y., and Cham, H. (2007). Perfectionism, academic burnout and engagement among Chinese college students: a structural equation modeling analysis. Personality and Individual Differences, 43(6), 1529-1540.