A CONCEPTUAL STUDY ON CAR-SHARING SERVICES BASED ON SHARING ECONOMY
- Paylaşım Ekonomisi, Paylaşımlı Ulaşım, Otomobil Paylaşımı
- Sharing Economy, Shared Mobility, Car Sharing
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2020 Business & Management Studies: An International Journal
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Sharing is indicated as an alternative form of distribution to the exchange of goods and gift-giving. It encourages a sense of community, saves resources and creates specific synergies. Many factors such as the increase in the use of internet services and smartphones, globalization and urbanization, increasing e-commerce transaction volume, the reliance on online payments, the global economic recession, changes in general attitudes and more attention to sustainability in consumption have led to the development of the sharing economy in recent years. The sharing economy has given the possibility to the people to use the resources efficiently and to distribute them to where it is much needed when they are sitting idle. The shared mobility, which is one of the central areas in sharing economy, is having a growth in the last decade, due to the increased urbanization, high cost of ownership and changes in consumption habits. Even though there are different modes of shared mobility services, the most common one in Turkey is car-sharing. In this conceptual study on car-sharing services based on the sharing economy, a comprehensive literature review is conducted. In these regards, firstly the concept and importance of sharing economy is emphasized and then shared mobility services, and types are discussed individually. Lastly, car-sharing services and their types are examined. With this study, it is aimed to make a total contribution to the sharing economy literature on car-sharing services.
- Agatz, N., Erera, A., Savelsbergh, M. & Wang, X. (2012). Optimization for dynamic ride-sharing: A review. European Journal of Operational Research, 223, 295-303. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejor.2012.05.028
- Aguilera-Garcia, A., Gomez, J. & Sobrino, N. (2020). Exploring the adoption of moped scooter-sharing systems in Spanish urban areas. Cities, 96, 1-13. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cities.2019.102424
- Akyelken, N., Banister, D. & Givoni, M. (2018). The Sustainability of Shared Mobility in London: The Dilemma for Governance. Sustainability, 10(2), 1-13. https://doi.org/10.3390/su10020420
- Albinsson, P. A. & Perera, B. Y. (2018). The Rise of the Sharing Economy: Exploring the Challenges and Opportunities of Collaborative Consumption. (1st. ed.) California: Praeger.
- Allem, J. P. & Majmundar, A. (2019). Are electric scooters promoted on social media with safety in mind? A case study on Bird's Instagram. Preventive Medicine Reports, 13, 62-63. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pmedr.2018.11.013
- Altinay, L. & Taheri, B. (2018). Emerging themes and theories in the sharing economy: a critical note for hospitality and tourism. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, 31(1), 180-193. https://doi.org/10.1108/IJCHM-02-2018-0171
- Bai, S. & Jiao, J. (2020). Dockless E-scooter usage patterns and urban built Environments: A comparison study of Austin, TX, and Minneapolis, MN. Travel Behaviour and Society, 20, 264-272. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tbs.2020.04.005
- Balac, M., Ciari, F. & Axhausen, K. W. (2017). Modeling the impact of parking price policy on free-floating car-sharing: Case study for Zurich, Switzerland. Transportation Research Part C, 77, 207-225. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.trc.2017.01.022
- Ballus-Armet, I., Shaheen, S. A., Clonts, K. & Weinzimmer, D. (2014). Peer-to-Peer Carsharing Exploring Public Perception and Market Characteristics in the San Francisco Bay Area, California. Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, 2416, 27-36. https://doi.org/10.3141/2416-04
- Bardhi, F. & Eckhardt, G. M. (2012). Access-Based Consumption: The Case of car-sharing. Journal of Consumer Research, 39(4), 881-898. https://doi.org/10.1086/666376
- Belk, R. (2007). Why Not Share Rather Than Own?. AAPSS, 611, 126-140. https://doi.org/10.1177/0002716206298483
- Belk, R. (2010). Sharing. Journal of Consumer Research. 36(5), 715-734. https://doi.org/10.1086/612649
- Belk, R. (2014). You are what you can access: Sharing and collaborative consumption online. Journal of Business Research, 67(8), 1595–1600. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2013.10.001
- Botsman, R. & Rogers, R. (2010). What's Mine Is Yours: The Rise of Collaborative Consumption (1st ed.). New York: Harper Collins. https://doi.org/10.5860/choice.48-3364
- Buczynski, B. (2013). Sharing is good: how to save money, time and resources through collaborative consumption. (1st ed.). Canada: New Society Publishers.
- Campbell, A. A., Cherry, C. R., Ryerson, M. R. & Yang, X. (2016). Factors influencing the choice of shared bicycles and shared electric bikes in Beijing. Transportation Research Part C, 67, 399-414. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.trc.2016.03.004
- Ciari, F., Bock, B. & Balmer, M. (2014). Modeling Station-Based and Free-Floating Car-sharing Demand: Test Case Study for Berlin. Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, 2416(1), 37-47. https://doi.org/10.3141/2416-05
- Ciari, F. & Becker, H. (2017). How Disruptive Can Shared Mobility Be? A Scenario-Based Evaluation of Shared Mobility Systems Implemented at Large Scale. In Disrupting Mobility: Impacts of Sharing Economy and Innovative Transportation on Cities. eds. Meyer, G. & Shaheen, S. Switzerland: Springer: 51-63. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-51602-8_3
- Chen, Y. & Wang, L. (2019). Commentary: Marketing and the Sharing Economy: Digital Economy and Emerging Market Challenges. Journal of Marketing, 83(5), 28-31. https://doi.org/10.1177/0022242919868470
- Choi, H. R., Min Je Cho, Lee, K., Hong, S. G. & Woo, C. R. (2014). The Business Model for the Sharing Economy between SMEs. WSEAS TRANSACTIONS on BUSINESS and ECONOMICS, 11, 625-634. https://doi.org/10.9723/jksiis.2016.21.5.041
- Cohen, B. & Kietzmann, J. (2014). Ride On! Mobility Business Models for the Sharing Economy. Organization & Environment, 27(3), 279-296. https://doi.org/10.1177/1086026614546199
- Cramer, J. & Krueger, A. B. (2016). Disruptive Change in the Taxi Business: The Case of Uber. American Economic Review, 106(5), 1-14. https://doi.org/10.1257/aer.p20161002
- Deloitte. (2017). What's ahead for fully autonomous driving Consumer opinions on advanced vehicle technology. Retrieved from https://www2.deloitte.com/content/dam/Deloitte/us/Documents/manufacturing/us-manufacturing-consumer-opinions-on-advanced-vehicle-technology.pdf. (Last accessed: 06 June 2020).
- Eckhardt, G. M., Houston, M. B., Jiang, B. Lamberton, C., Rindfleischand, A. & Zervas, G. (2009). Marketing in a Sharing Economy. Journal of Marketing, 83(5), 5-27. https://doi.org/10.1177/0022242919861929
- Feigon, S. & Murphy, C. (2016). Shared Mobility and the Transformation of Public Transit. (1st ed.). Chicago: THE NATIONAL ACADEMIES PRESS. https://doi.org/10.17226/23578
- Firnkorn, J. & Müller, M. (2011). What will be the environmental effects of new free-floating car-sharing systems? The case of car2go in Ulm. Ecological Economics, 70, 1519-1528. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecolecon.2011.03.014
- Firnkorn, J. & Müller, M. (2015). Free-floating electric carsharing-fleets in smart cities: The dawning of a post-private car era in urban environments?. Environmental Science and Policy, 45, 30-40. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envsci.2014.09.005
- Fishman, E., Washington, S. & Haworth, N. (2013). Bike Share: A Synthesis of the Literature. Transport Reviews, 33(2), 148-165. https://doi.org/10.1080/01441647.2013.775612
- Hamari, J., Sjöklint, M. & Ukkonen, A. (2015). The Sharing Economy: Why People Participate in Collaborative Consumption. Journal of The Association For Information Science And Technology, 67(9), 2047-2059. https://doi.org/10.1002/asi.23552
- Hampshire, R. C. & Gaites, C. (2011). Peer-to-Peer Carsharing: Market Analysis and Potential Growth. Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, 2217, 119-126. https://doi.org/10.3141/2217-15
- Hardt, C. & Bogenberger, K. (2019). Usage of e-Scooters in Urban Environments. Transportation Research Procedia, 37, 155-162. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.trpro.2018.12.178
- Hartl, B., Sabitzer, T., Hofmann, E. & Penz, E. (2018). "Sustainability is a nice bonus" the role of sustainability in car-sharing from a consumer perspective. Journal of Cleaner Production, 202, 88-100. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2018.08.138
- Henao, A. & Marshall, W. (2017). A Framework for Understanding the Impacts of Ridesourcing on Transportation. In Disrupting Mobility: Impacts of Sharing Economy and Innovative Transportation on Cities. eds. Meyer, G. & Shaheen, S. Switzerland: Springer, 197-209. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-51602-8_13
- Iacobucci, J., Hovenkotter, K. & Anbinder, J. (2017). Transit Systems and the Impacts of Shared Mobility. In Disrupting Mobility: Impacts of Sharing Economy and Innovative Transportation on Cities. eds. Meyer, G. & Shaheen, S. Switzerland: Springer, 65-76. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-51602-8_4
- ING. (2020). ING Paylaşım Ekonomisi Uluslararası Basın Bülteni. Retrieved from https://www.ing.com.tr/F/Documents/pdf/Basin_Odasi/2015/ingbank_IIS_paylasim_ekonomisi_21122015.pdf. (Last accessed: 06 June 2020).
- Jin, Scarlett T., Hui Kong, Rachel Wu, Daniel Z. Sui. (2018). Ridesourcing, the sharing economy, and the future of cities. Cities, 76, 96-104. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cities.2018.01.012
- Jochem, P., Frankenhauser, D., Ewald, L. & Ensslen, A. 2020. Does free-floating car-sharing reduce private vehicle ownership? The case of SHARE NOW in European cities. Transportation Research Part A, 141, 373-395. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tra.2020.09.016
- Jorge, D., Barnhart, C. & Correia, G. H. d. A. (2015). Assessing the viability of enabling a round-trip car-sharing system to accept one-way trips: Application to Logan Airport in Boston. Transportation Research Part C, 56, 359-372. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.trc.2015.04.020
- Katzev, R. (2003). car-sharing: A New Approach to Urban Transportation Problems. Analyses of Social Issues and Public Policy, 3(1), 65-86. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1530-2415.2003.00015.x
- Kim, Y. G., Woo, E. & Nam, J. (2018). Sharing economy perspective on an integrative framework of the NAM and TPB. International Journal of Hospitality Management, 72, 109-117. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhm.2018.01.008
- Kim, D., Park, Y. & Ko, J. (2019). Factors underlying vehicle ownership reduction among car-sharing users: A repeated cross-sectional analysis. Transportation Research Part D, 76, 123-137. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.trd.2019.09.018
- Klincevicius, M. G. Y., Morency, C. & Trépanier, M. (2014). Assessing Impact of Carsharing on Household Car Ownership in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, 2416(1), 48-55. https://doi.org/10.3141/2416-06
- Kopp, J., Gerike, R. & Axhauen, K. W. (2015). Do sharing people behave differently? An empirical evaluation of the distinctive mobility patterns of free-floating car-sharing members. Transportation, 42, 449-469. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11116-015-9606-1
- Le Vine, S., Lee-Gosselin, M., Sivakumar, A. & Polak, J. (2014). A new approach to predict the market and impacts of round-trip and point-to-point car-sharing systems: Case study of London. Transportation Research Part D, 32, 218-229. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.trd.2014.07.005
- Liu, Y. & Yang, Y. (2018). Empirical Examination of Users' Adoption of the Sharing Economy in China Using an Expanded Technology Acceptance Model. Sustainability, 10(1262), 1-17. https://doi.org/10.3390/su10041262
- Mao, Z. & Lyu, J. (2017). Why travelers use Airbnb again? An integrative approach to understanding travelers' repurchase intention. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, 29(9), 2464-2482. https://doi.org/10.1108/IJCHM-08-2016-0439
- McKenzie, G. (2019). Spatiotemporal comparative analysis of scooter-share and bike-share usage patterns in Washington, D.C.. Journal of Transport Geography, 78, 19-28. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jtrangeo.2019.05.007
- McKenzie, G. (2020). Urban mobility in the sharing economy: A spatiotemporal comparison of shared mobility services. Computers, Environment and Urban Systems, 79, 1-10. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compenvurbsys.2019.101418
- Millard-Ball, A., Murray, G., Schure, J. T., Fox, C. & Burkhardt, J. 2005. Car-Sharing: Where and How It Succeeds. Transportation Research Board, 108, 1-246. https://doi.org/10.17226/13559
- Münzel, K., Piscicelli, L., Boon, W. & Frenken, K. (2019). Different business models – different users? Uncovering the motives and characteristics of business-to-consumer and peer-to-peer car-sharing adopters in The Netherlands. Transportation Research Part D, 73, 276-306. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.trd.2019.07.001
- Nwaorgu, B. (2018). What is Collaborative Consumption? Platforms and Participation of People in Collaborative Consumption – Impact of the New Technologies. International Journal of Innovation and Technology Management, 9(6), 240-245. https://doi.org/10.18178/ijimt.2018.9.6.819
- Pappas, N. (2016). The complexity of purchasing intentions in peer-to-peer accommodation. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, 29(9), 2302-2321. https://doi.org/10.1108/IJCHM-08-2016-0429
- Paundra, J., Rook, L. van Dalen, J. & Ketter, W. (2017). Preferences for car-sharing services: Effects of instrumental attributes and psychological ownership. Journal of Environmental Psychology, 53, 121-130. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jenvp.2017.07.003
- Posen, H. A. (2016). Ridesharing in the Sharing Economy: Should Regulators Impose Über Regulations on Uber?. Iowa Law Review, 101(1), 405-433.
- PWC. (2015a). Sharing or pairing? Growth of the sharing economy. Retrieved from https://www.pwc.com/hu/en/kiadvanyok/assets/pdf/sharing-economy-en.pdf. (Last accessed: 04 June 2020).
- PWC. (2015b). The Sharing Economy: Consumer Intelligence Series. Retrieved from https://www.pwc.fr/fr/assets/files/pdf/2015/05/pwc_etude_sharing_economy.pdf. (Last accessed: 04 June 2020).
- PWC. (2017). Share economy 2017: The New Business Model. Retrieved from https://www.pwc.at/de/publikationen/branchen-und-wirtschaftsstudien/share-economy-report-2017.pdf. (Last accessed: 06 June 2020).
- Ranjbari, M., Gustavo, M. A. & Carrasco-Gallego, R. (2018). Conceptualizing the Sharing Economy through Presenting a Comprehensive Framework. Sustainability, 10(2336), 1-24. https://doi.org/10.3390/su10072336
- Schechtner, K. & Hanson, M. (2017). Shared Mobility in Asian Megacities: The Rise of the Apps. In Disrupting Mobility: Impacts of Sharing Economy and Innovative Transportation on Cities. eds. Meyer, G. & Shaheen, S. Switzerland: Springer, 77-88. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-51602-8_5
- Schneider, H. (2017). Creative Destruction and the Sharing Economy. Creative Destruction and the Sharing Economy. (1st ed.) Cheltenham: Edward Elgar Publishing Limited.
- Schroders. (2020). The Sharing Economy. Retrieved from https://www.schroders.com/nl/sysglobalassets/digital/resources/pdfs/2016-08-the-sharing-economy.pdf. (Last accessed: 03 June 2020).
- Shaheen, S., Chan, N., Bansal, A. & Cohen, A. (2015). Shared Mobility: A Sustainability and Technologies Workshop: Definitions, Industry developments, and Early Understanding. UC Berkeley Transportation Sustainability Research Center, 1-31.
- Shaheen, S., Cohen, A. & Zohdy, I. (2016). Shared Mobility: Current Practices and Guiding Principles. UC Berkeley Transportation Sustainability Research Center, 1-120.
- Shaheen, S. A., Bansal, A., Chan, N. & Cohen, A. (2017a). Mobility and the Sharing Economy: Industry Developments and Early Understanding of Impacts. UC Berkeley Transportation Sustainability Research Center, 1-15. https://doi.org/10.1049/PBTR006E_CH10
- Shaheen, S., Stocker, A. & Mundler, M. (2017b). Online and App-Based Carpooling in France: Analyzing Users and Practices-A Study of BlaBlaCar. In Disrupting Mobility: Impacts of Sharing Economy and Innovative Transportation on Cities. eds. Meyer, G. & Shaheen, S. Switzerland: Springer, 181-196. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-51602-8_12
- Shaheen, S. & Cohen, A. (2019). Shared Micromoblity Policy Toolkit: Docked and Dockless Bike and Scooter Sharing. UC Berkeley Transportation Sustainability Research Center, 1-31. https://doi.org/10.7922/G2TH8JW7
- Statista. (2020). Number of sharing economy users in the United States from 2016 to 2021. Retrieved from https://www.statista.com/statistics/649459/carsharing-fleet-worldwide/. (Last accessed: 04 June 2020).
- Tong, Y., Zeng, Y., Zhou, Z., Chen, L., Ye, J. & Xu, K. (2018). A unified approach to route planning for shared mobility. Proceedings of the VLDB Endowment, 11, 1633-1646. https://doi.org/10.14778/3236187.3236211
- Tussyadiah, I. P. & Zach, F. (2017). Identifying salient attributes of peer-to-peer accommodation experience. Journal of Travel & Tourism Marketing, 34(5), 636-652. https://doi.org/10.1080/10548408.2016.1209153
- Wang, M. & Zhou, X. (2017). Bike-sharing systems and congestion: Evidence from US cities. Journal of Transport Geography, 65, 147-154. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jtrangeo.2017.10.022
- Webrazzi. . MOOOV by Garenta Paylaşımlı Araç Büyüme Verileri. Retrieved from https://webrazzi.com/2020/06/09/moov-by-garenta-gectigimiz-hafta-yuzde-93-luk-artisla-30-binden-fazla-kiralamaya-imza-atti/. (Last accessed: 02 July 2020).
- Wielinski, G., Trepanier, M. & Morency, C. (2017). Carsharing Versus Bikesharing: Comparing Mobility Behaviors. Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, 2650(1), 112-122. https://doi.org/10.3141/2650-13
- Wilhelms, M. P., Henkel, S. & Falk, T. (2017a). To earn is not enough: A means-end analysis to uncover peer-providers' participation motives in peer-to-peer car-sharing. Technological Forecasting and Social Change, 125, 38-47. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.techfore.2017.03.030
- Wilhelms, M. P., Henkel, S. & Merfeld, K. (2017b). You Are What You Share: Understanding Participation Motives in Peer-to-Peer Carsharing. In Disrupting Mobility: Impacts of Sharing Economy and Innovative Transportation on Cities. eds. Meyer, G. & Shaheen, S. Switzerland: Springer: 105-119. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-51602-8_7
- Yau, A. & Mahn, A. (2015). Sharing Is Dubious, It Won'T Work! Exploring the Barriers Towards Collaborative Consumption of Free Floating car-sharing. Advances in Consumer Research Volume, 43, 746-747.
- Yoon, T., Cherry, C. R. & Jones, L. R. (2017). One-way and round-trip car-sharing: A stated preference experiment in Beijing. Transportation Research Part D, 53, 102-114. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.trd.2017.04.009
- Yun, J. H. J., Zhao, X., Wu, J., Yi, J. C., Park, K. B. & Jung, W. Y. (2020). Business Model, Open Innovation, and Sustainability in car-sharing Industry—Comparing Three Economies. Sustainability, 12(1883): 1-27. https://doi.org/10.3390/su12051883
- Zhu, G., So, K. K. F. & Hudson, S. (2017). Inside the sharing economy: Understanding consumer motivations behind the adoption of mobile applications. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, 29(9), 2218-2239. https://doi.org/10.1108/IJCHM-09-2016-0496