AN EXAMINATION ON THE USE OF IMMERSIVE REALITY TECHNOLOGIES IN THE TRAVEL AND TOURISM INDUSTRY
- Immersive Reality,
- Travel and Tourism
- Sarmalayan Gerçeklik,
- Seyahat ve Turizm
How to Cite
Recent developments in technology have changed the way people communicate and interact. In addition, the relationship between the business and the customer is carried to a different dimension. IR (immersive reality) is the name given to new reality technologies including VR (virtual reality), AR (augmented reality) and MR (mixed reality) technologies, which are becoming more and more common in use today. It is seen that the use of these technologies in fields such as medicine, engineering, production, service and marketing have become important today. The purpose of this study is to reveal the use of the IR technologies in the travel and tourism industry and current applications in detail. The data obtained by using document analysis technique were compiled for the purpose of the study. As a result of the study, it has been determined that the IR technologies are used by hotel businesses, restaurants, travel companies, museums and historical sites for purposes such as customer relations, reservation, product and service provision, promotion and marketing.
- Aşkan, L. (2018). “Artırılmış Gerçeklik (Augmented Reality) Nedir? Kullanım Alanları Nelerdir?”. http://www.teknolo.com/augmented-reality-nedir-hangi-alanlarda-kullanilabilir/, Accessed: 09 March 2020.
- Bayraktar, E. and Kaleli, F. (2007). Sanal Gerçeklik ve Uygulama Alanları. Akademik Bilişim, 31 January-2 February, Kütahya, pp. 1-6.
- Bekele, M. K. and Champion, E. (2019). A Comparison of Immersive Realities and Interaction Methods: Cultural Learning in Virtual Heritage. Frontiers in Robotics and Al, 6(91), 1-14.
- Bekele, M. K., Pierdicca, R., Frontoni, E., Malinverni, E. S. and Gain, J. (2018). A Survey of Augmented, Virtual, and Mixed Reality for Cultural Heritage. ACM Journal on Computing and Cultural Heritage, 11(2), 1-36.
- Bluff, A. and Johnston, A. (2017). Creature:Interactions: A Social Mixed-Reality Playspace. Leonardo, 50(4), 360-367.
- Clark, C. M. (2019). Extended Reality in Informal Learning Environments (Ed. Varnum, K. J.). Beyond Reality Augmented, Virtual and Mixed Reality in the Library içinde, ss. 17-30. Chicago: ALA Editions.
- Collins, J. (2019). “How Immersive Technology is Taking the Travel + Tourism Industry by Storm”. https://streetsense.com/blog/immersive-technology-in-tourism/, Accessed: 05 March 2020.
- Demirezen, B. (2019). Artırılmış Gerçeklik ve Sanal Gerçeklik Teknolojisinin Turizm Sektöründe Kullanılabilirliği Üzerine Bir Literatür Taraması. International Journal of Global Tourism Research, 3(1), 1-26.
- Durmaz, C., Bulut, Y. and Tankuş, E. (2018). Sanal Gerçekliğin Turizme Entegrasyonu: Samsun’daki 5 Yıldızlı Otellerde Uygulama, Turkish Journal Of Marketing, 3(1), 32-49.
- Dyne, J. (2018). “Mixed Reality For Tourism”. https://medium.com/@jon_54445/mixed-reality-for-tourism-fa8dd030c9fb, Accessed: 16 March 2020.
- Farah, M. F., Ramadan, Z. B. and Harb, D. H. (2019). The Examination of Virtual Reality at the Intersection of Consumer Experience, Shopping Journey and Physical Retailing. Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, 48, 136-143.
- Fast-Berglund, A., Gong, L. and Li, D. (2018). Testing and Validating Extended Reality (XR) Technologies in Manufacturing. Procedia Manufacturing, 25, 31-38.
- Ferhat, S. (2016). Dijital Dünyanın Gerçekliği, Gerçek Dünyanın Sanallığı Bir Dijital Medya Ürünü Olarak Sanal Gerçeklik. TRT Akademi, 1(2), 724-746.
- Flavian, C., Ibanez-Sanchez, S. and Orus, C. (2019). The Impact of Virtual, Augmented and Mixed Reality Technologies on the Customer Experience. Journal Of Business Research, 100, 547-560.
- Fritz, F., Susperregui, A. and Linaza, M. T. (2005). Enhancing Cultural Tourism experiences with Augmented Reality Technologies. The 6th International Symposium on Virtual Reality, Archaeology and Cultural Heritage VAST, Pisa, İtaly, 8-11 November, pp. 1-6.
- Gaberli, Ü. (2019). Tourism in Digital Age: An Explanation for the Impacts of Virtual, Augmented and Mixed Reality Technologies on Tourist Experiences. Journal Of Tourism Intelligence and Smartness, 2(2), 61-69.
- Gochfeld, D., Brenner, C., Layng, K., Herscher, S., DeFanti, C., Olko, M., Shinn, D., Riggs, S., Fernandez-Vara, C. and Perlin, K. (2018). Holojam in Wonderland: Immersive Mixed Reality Theater. Leonardo, 51(4), 362-367.
- Greengard, S. (2019). Virtual Reality (First Edition). Massachusetts: The MIT Press.
- Güzel, H. (2019). “Genişletilmiş Gerçeklik (XR) Teknolojisi”. https://medium.com/technical-library/geni%C5%9Fletilmi%C5%9F-ger%C3%A7eklik-teknolojisi-xr-e165b21273dc, Accessed: 05 March 2020.
- Hammady, R., Ma, M., Strathern, C. and Mohamad, M. (2020). Design and Development of a Spatial Mixed Reality Touring Guide to the Egyptian Museum. Multimedia Tools and Applications, 79, 3465-3494.
- Handa, M., Aul, G. and Bajaj, S. (2012). Immersıve Technology – Uses, Challenges And Opportunıtıes. International Journal of Computing & Business Research, 6(2), 1-11.
- ImmersionVR (2020). “VR For Tourism”. https://immersionvr.co.uk/about-360vr/vr-for-tourism/, Accessed: 06 March 2020.
- InnovateUK (2019). “The Immersive Economy in the UK”. https://www.immerseuk.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/The-Immersive-Economy-in-the-UK-Report-2019.pdf, Accessed: 28 February 2020.
- Interactive Advertising Bureau (2019). “Augmented Reality for Marketing An Iab Playbook”. https://www.iab.com/insights/augmented-reality-for-marketing/, Accessed: 11 March 2020.
- İlhan, İ. and Çeltek, E. (2016). Mobile Marketing: Usage of Augmented Reality in Tourism. Gaziantep University Journal Of Social Siences, 15(2), 581-599.
- Joseph, T. (2019). “Emerging Technology Trends in Travel and Tourism”. https://www.fingent.com/blog/emerging-technology-trends-in-travel-tourism-industry, Accessed: 05 March 2020.
- Kabaq (2020). “Augmented Reality Food”. https://www.kabaq.io/, Accessed: 14 March 2020.
- Kim, M. J., Lee, C.-K. and Jung, T. (2018). Exploring Consumer Behavior in Virtual Reality Tourism Using an Extended Stimulus-Organism-Response Model. Journal Of Travel Research, 26, 1-55.
- Kuttaş, S. (2020). Oteller İçin Sanal Gerçeklik Pazarlamasının 5 Avantajı. https://www.turizmgunlugu.com/2020/02/01/oteller-sanal-gerceklik-pazarlamasi-vr/, Accessed: 06 March 2020.
- Mathew, N. (2018). “The Killer App for AR-Hologram Tour Guides”. https://virtualrealitypop.com/the-killer-app-for-ar-hologram-tour-guides-dbf259f68e55, Accessed: 11 March 2020.
- Milgram, P., Takemura, H., Utsumi, A. and Kishino, F. (1994). Augmented Reality: A Class of Displays on the Reality-Virtuality Continuum. Telemanipulator and Telepresence Technologies, 2351, 282-292.
- Mosieeva, V. Y., Lavrentyeva, A. V., Elokhina, A. K. and Mosieev, V. I. (2019). AR and VR Technologies as a Factor of Developing an Accessible Urban Environment in Tourism: Institutional Limitations and Opportunities. International Journal of Engineering and Advanced Technology, 8(6), 5313-5317.
- Nayyar, A., Mahapatra, B., Le, D. and Suseendran, G. (2018). Virtual Reality (VR) & Augmented Reality (AR) Technologies for Tourism and Hospitality Industry. International Journal Of Engineering & Technology, 7 (2.21), 156-160.
- Olney, A. (2019). Augmented Reality (Ed. Varnum, K. J.). Beyond Reality Augmented, Virtual and Mixed Reality in the Library içinde, pp. 1-16. Chicago: ALA Editions.
- Orhan, S. and Karaman, M. K. (2011). Eğitimde Gerçekliğe Yeni Bir Bakış: Harmanlanmış ve Genişletilmiş Gerçeklik. XVI. Türkiye’de İnternet Konferansı, 30 November-02 December, Izmir, pp. 373-384.
- Ortiz, A. and McGiffin, M. (2019). “How Extended Reality Will Reshape Commerce”. https://www.ibm.com/thought-leadership/institute-business-value/report/extended-reality-commerce#, Accessed: 16 March 2020.
- Özarslan, Y. (2011). Öğrenen İçerik Etkileşiminin Genişletilmiş Gerçeklik İle Zenginleştirilmesi, 5th International Computer & Instructional Technologies Symposium, 22-24 September, Elazığ, pp. 726-730.
- Putro, H. T. (2015). Immersive Virtual Reality for Tourism and Creative Industry Development. The 3rd International Conference on Creative Industry, 11-12 August, Bali, Indonesia, pp. 1-6.
- QReal (2020). “AR for the Real World”. https://qreal.io/, accessed: 14 March 2020.
- Ramos, F., Trilles, S., Torres-Sospedra, J., and Perales, F. J. (2018). New Trends in Using Augmented Reality Apps for Smart City Contexts. International Journal Of Geo-Information, 7, 1-23.
- Revfine (2020). “How Virtual Reality is Transforming the Travel Industry”. https://www.revfine.com/virtual-reality-travel-industry/, Accessed: 07 March 2020.
- Seo, B.-K., Kim, K. and Park, J. L. (2011). Augmented Reality-Based On-Site Tour Guide: A Study in Gyeongbokgung (Ed. Koch, R. ve Huang, F.). in Computer Vision – ACCV 2010 Workshops, pp. 276-285. Berlin: Springer.
- SiteMinder (2020). “Virtual Reality: Is This the New Frontier for Hotel Marketing and Booking Strategies?”. https://www.siteminder.com/r/technology/hotel-internet-booking-engines/virtual-tours-hotel-marketing-booking/, Accessed: 07 March 2020.
- Smacar (2018). “Augmented Reality in the Tourism Industry”. https://smacar.com/travel-and-tourism-day/, Accessed: 08 March 2020.
- Storchi, A. (2018). “Extended Realities: Insights from the Next Generation's Technologies”. https://www.academia.edu/37848893/Extended_Realities_insights_from_the_next_generations_technologies, Accessed: 15 March 2020.
- Strategic Slovakia (2016). “Augmented Reality App For Museums”. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzSqDYzabkg, Accessed: 15 March 2020.
- Turkish Language Association (TDK) Dictionary (2020). Güncel Türkçe Sözlük, https://sozluk.gov.tr/, Accessed: 02 March 2020.
- Volkow, S. W. and Howland, A. C. (2018). The Case for Mıxed Realıty to Improve Performance. Performance Improvement, 57(4), 29-37.
- William, J. (2019). “Augmented Reality: A Recent Technology Debut in Hotel Industry”. https://www.traveldailynews.com/post/augmented-reality-a-recent-technology-debut-in-hotel-industry, Accessed: 12 March 2020.
- Yaral Mercan, T. (2018). “Sanal Gerçeklik (VR) Jolly Tur İle Türk Acente Sektörüne Girdi”. https://www.turizmglobal.com/sanal-gerceklik-vr-jolly-tur-tarafindan-acentecilik-sektorune-girdi/, Accessed: 06 March 2020.
- Yıldırım, G., Elban, M. and Yıldırım, S. (2018). Analysis of Use of Virtual Reality Technologies in History Education: A Case Study. Asian Journal of Education and Training, 4(2), 62-69.