THE MODERATING ROLE OF EMOTION REGULATION STRATEGIES ON THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN PSYCHOLOGICAL CONTRACT BREACH AND FEELING OF VIOLATION, KNOWLEDGE SHARING, AND LIFE SATISFACTION
- Psychological Contract Breach, Feeling of Violation, Knowledge Sharing, Life Satisfaction, Emotion Regulation
- Psikolojik Sözleşme İhlali, İhlal Duygusu, Bilgi Paylaşımı, Yaşam Doyumu, Duygu Düzenleme
How to Cite
Psychological contract breach is a cognitive condition that occurs in employees if the organization fails to fulfill its promises. This perception of employees may also have negative effects on their attitudes and behaviors such as feeling of violation, knowledge sharing and life satisfaction. It was claimed that these effects may be regulated by emotion regulation strategies; the aim of the study was to investigate the relationship between psychological contract breach and feeling of violation, knowledge sharing and life satisfaction and the moderating effect of emotion regulation strategies on this relationship. Data were collected by using survey technique from 342 employees employed in banks with the convenience sampling method. The analyzes covered up that psychological contract breach increased feeling of violation; decreased knowledge sharing and life satisfaction, and also emotion regulation strategies had a moderating role on the relationship between psychological contract breach and knowledge sharing, and life satisfaction.
- Acar, F. (2002), “Duygusal zekâ ve liderlik”, Sosyal Bilimler Enstitüsü Dergisi, 12, 53-68.
- Aiken, L.S. and West, S.G. (1991), “Multiple regression: Testing and interpreting interactions”, Newbury Park: Sage Publications.
- Asad, M. (2017), “Breach of psychological contract and quality of life; psychosomatic strain as mediator and power distance as moderator”, Jinnah Business Review, 5(1), 23-33.
- Aslan, Ş. ve Uyar, S. (2018), “Psikolojik sözleşme ihlali ile hissettirdiklerinin örgütsel özdeşleşme, iş tatmini ve işten ayrılma niyeti üzerine etkileri”, Dokuz Eylül Üniversitesi, İktisadi ve İdari Bilimler Fakültesi Dergisi, 33(1), 1-38.
- Azudin, N., Ismail, M.N. and Taherali, Z.T. (2009), “Knowledge sharing among workers: A study on their contribution through informal communication in Cyberjaya, Malaysia”, Knowledge Management & E-Learning: An International Journal, 1(2), 139-162.
- Bal, P.M., Chiaburu, D.S. and Diaz, I. (2011), “Does psychological contract breach decrease proactive behaviors? The moderating effect of emotion regulation”, Group & Organization Management, 36(6), 722-758.
- Bal, P. M., De Lange, A.H., Jansen, P.G.W. and Van Der Velde, M.E.G. (2008), “Psychological contract breach and job attitudes: A meta-analysis of age as a moderator”, Journal of Vocational Behavior, 72(1), 143-158.
- Balogun, A.G., Oluyemi, T.S. and Afolabi, O.A. (2018), “Psychological contract breach and workplace deviance: Does emotional intelligence matter?”, Journal of Psychology in Africa, 28(1), 8-14.
- Bartol, K.M. and Srivastava, A. (2002), “Encouraging knowledge sharing: The role of organizational reward systems”, Journal of Leadership & Organizational Studies, 9(1), 64-76.
- Blau, P.M. (1964), “Exchange and power in social life”, New York: Wiley.
- Bilgin, L. (2007), “Psikolojik Sözleşmelerin oluşumu, gelişimi ve ihlalinde toplu ve bireysel sözleşmelerin rolü”, Eskişehir Osmangazi Üniversitesi Sosyal Bilimler Dergisi, 8(1), 183-200.
- Chennamaneni, A., Teng, J.T.C. and Raja, M.K. (2012), “A unified model of knowledge sharing behaviours: Theoretical development and empirical test”, Behaviour & Information Technology, 31(11), 1097-1115.
- Cohen, J. and Cohen, P. (1983), “Applied multiple regression/correlation analysis for the behavioral sciences”, (2.b.), New Jersey: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
- Dağlı, A. ve Baysal, N. (2016), “Yaşam doyumu ölçeğinin Türkçe’ye uyarlanması: Geçerlik ve güvenirlik çalışması”, Elektronik Sosyal Bilimler Dergisi, 15(59), 1250-1262.
- De Cuyper, N., Rigotti, T., De Witte, H. and Mohr, G. (2008), “Balancing psychological contracts: Validation of a typology”, The International Journal of Human Resource Management, 19(4), 543-561.
- Demirtaş, A.S. (2018), “Duygu düzenleme stratejileri ve benlik saygısının mutluluğu yordayıcılığı”, Turkish Studies Educational Sciences, 13(11), 487-503.
- Demirtaş, Ö., Özdevecioğlu, M. and Çapar, N. (2015), “The relationship between cognitive emotion regulation and job stress: Moderating role of social support”, Asian Social Science, 11(12), 168-173.
- Deniz, M.E., Arslan, C., Özyeşil, Z. ve İzmirli, M. (2012), “Öz-anlayış, yaşam doyumu, negatif ve pozitif duygu: Türk ve diğer ülke üniversite öğrencileri arasında bir karşılaştırma”, Mehmet Akif Ersoy Üniversitesi Eğitim Fakültesi Dergisi, 12(23), 428-446.
- Diefendorff, J.M., Richard, E.M. and Yang, J. (2008), “Emotion regulation at work: Linking strategies to affective events and discrete negative emotions”, Journal of Vocational Behavior, 73(3), 498-508.
- Diener, E., Emmons, R.A, Larsen, R.J. and Griffin, S. (1985), “The satisfaction with life scale”, Journal of Personality Assessment, 49(1), 71-75.
- Field, A. (2000), “Discovering statistics using spss for windows”, London: Sage Publications.
- Fornell, C. and Larcker, D.F. (1981), “Evaluating structural equation models with unobservable variables and measurement error”, Journal of Marketing Research, 18(1), 39-50.
- Gross, J.J. (1998), “The emerging field of emotion regulation: An integrative review”, Review of General Psychology, 2(3), 271-299.
- Gross, J.J. and John, O.P. (2003), “Individual differences in two emotion regulation processes: Implications for affect, relationships, and well-being”, Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 85(2), 348-362.
- Hair Jr, J.F., Black, W.C., Babin, B.J. and Anderson, R.E. (2010), “Multivariate data analysis”, (7th ed.), New Jersey: Pearson New International Edition.
- Haşıloğlu, S.B., Baran, T. ve Aydın, O. (2015), “Pazarlama araştırmalarındaki potansiyel problemlere yönelik bir araştırma: Kolayda örnekleme ve sıklık ifadeli ölçek maddeleri”, Pamukkale İşletme ve Bilişim Yönetimi Dergisi, 2(1), 19-28.
- Hayes, A.F. (2012), “PROCESS: A versatile computational tool for observed variable mediation, moderation, and conditional process modeling”, University of Kansas, KS.
- Hayes, A.F. (2013), “Introduction to mediation, moderation, and conditional process analysis: A regression-based approach”, Guilford Press.
- Johnson, J.L. and O'Leary-Kelly, A.M. (2003), “The effects of psychological contract breach and organizational cynicism: Not all social exchange violations are created equal”, Journal of Organizational Behavior, 24(5), 627-647.
- Kaba, İ., Erol, M. and Güç, K. (2018), “Yetişkin yaşam doyumu ölçeğinin geliştirilmesi”, Anadolu Üniversitesi Sosyal Bilimler Dergisi, 18(1), 1-14.
- Keser, A. (2005), “İş doyumu ve yaşam doyumu ilişkisi: otomotiv sektöründe bir uygulama”, Çalışma ve Toplum, 7(4), 77-95.
- Keser, A. (2002), “Çalışma ilişkilerinde farklı bir yaklaşım: psikolojik akit”, Marmara Üniversitesi Sosyal Bilimler Enstitüsü Öneri Dergisi, 5(17), 9-13.
- Kickul, J. and Lester, S.W. (2001), “Broken promises: Equity sensitivity as a moderator between psychological contract breach and employee attitudes and behaviour”, Journal of Business Psychology, 16(2), 191-217.
- Knights, J.A. and Kennedy, B.J. (2005), “Psychological contract violation: Impacts on job satisfaction and organizational commitment among Australian senior public servants”, Applied H.R.M. Research, 10(2), 57-72.
- Karaslan, A., Özler, D.E. ve Kulaklıoğlu, A.S. (2009), “Örgütsel vatandaşlık davranışı ve bilgi paylaşımı arasındaki ilişkiye yönelik bir araştırma”, Afyon Kocatepe Üniversitesi, İ.İ.B.F. Dergisi, 11(2), 135-160.
- McRae, K., Hughes, B., Chopra, S., Gabrieli, J.D.E., Gross, J.J. ve Ochsner, K.N. (2009), “The neural bases of distraction and reappraisal”, Journal of Cognitive Neuroscience, 22(2), 248-262.
- Mimaroğlu, H. (2008), “Sözleşmenin personelin tutum ve davranışlarına etkileri: Tıbbi satış temsilcileri üzerinde bir araştırma”, Yayımlanmamış Doktora Tezi, Adana: Çukurova Üniversitesi.
- Morrison, E.W. and Robinson, S.L. (1997), “When employees feel betrayed: A model of how psychological contract violation develops”, Academy of Management Review, 22(1), 226-256.
- Ochsner, K.N. and Gross, J.J. (2005), “The cognitive control of emotion”, Trends in Cognitive Sciences, 9(5), 242-249.
- Özgüle, E.T.U. (2011), “Mediating role of self-regulation between parenting, attachment, and adjustment in middle adolescence”, Unpublished Doctorate Theses, Ankara: Middle East Technical University.
- Raja, U., Johns, G. and Ntalianis, F. (2004), “The impact of personality on psychological contracts”, Academy of Management Journal, 47(3), 350-367.
- Robinson, S.L. and Morrison, E.W. (2000), “The development of psychological contract breach and violation: A longitudinal study”, Journal of Organizational Behavior, 21(5), 525-546.
- Robinson, S.L. and Morrison, E.W. (1995), “Psychological contracts and ocb: The effect of unfulfilled obligations on civic virtue behavior”, Journal of Organizational Behavior, 16(3), 289-298.
- Robinson, S.L., Kraatz, M.S. and Rousseau, D.M. (1994), “Changing obligations and the psychological contract: A longitudinal study”, Academy of Management Journal, 37(1), 137-152.
- Robinson, S.L. and Rousseau, D.M. (1994), “Violating the psychological contract: Not the exception but the norm”, Journal of Organizational Behavior, 15(3), 245-259.
- Rousseau, D.M. and Greller, M.M. (1994), “Human resource practices: Administrative contract makers”, Human Resource Management, 33(3), 385-401.
- Rousseau, D.M. (1989), “Psychological and implied contracts in organization”, Employee Responsibilities and Rights Journal, 2(1), 121-139.
- Shih, C. and Chuang, C. (2013), “Individual differences, psychological contract breach, and organizational citizenship behavior: A moderated mediation study”, Asia Pacific Journal of Management, 30(1), 191-210.
- Suazo, M.M. (2009), “The mediating role of psychological contract violation on the relations between psychological contract breach and work-related attitudes and behaviors”, Journal of Managerial Psychology, 24(2), 136-160.
- Suazo, M.M., Turnley, W.H. and Mai-Dalton, R.R. (2008), “Characteristics of the supervisor-subordinate relationship as predictors of psychological contract breach”, Journal of Managerial Issues, 20(3), 295-312.
- Tekleab, A.G., Takeuchi, R. and Taylor, M.S. (2005), “Extending the chain of relationships among organizational justice, social exchange, and employee reactions: The role of contract violations”, Academy of Management Journal, 48(1), 146-157.
- Totan, T. (2015), “Duygu düzenlenme anketi Türkçe formunun geçerlik ve güvenirliği”, Journal of Cognitive Behavioral Psychotherapy and Research, 3, 153-161.
- Töre, E. (2017), “Entelektüel sermayenin yenilikçi iş davranışına etkisinin bilgi paylaşımı, özyeterlilik ve iç denetim odağı perspektifinden incelenmesi üzerine bir araştırma”, Yayımlanmamış Doktora Tezi, İstanbul: İstanbul Üniversitesi.
- Tükeltürk, Ş.A., Perçin, N.Ş. ve Güzel, B. (2012), “Psikolojik kontrat ihlal algısı ile örgütsel bağlılık ilişkisi: Otel işletmeleri üzerine bir araştırma”, Yönetim Bilimleri Dergisi, 10(20), 93-110.
- Türkiye Bankalar Birliği Veri Sistemi, (2018), https://verisistemi.tbb.org.tr/index.php?/tbb/report_bolgeler, (Erişim: 24.07.2019).
- Uyar, R.Ö., Genç, M.M.Y. and Arnas, Y.A. (2018), “Emotion regulation and emotion understanding in preschoolers as a predictor of the maternal socialization of emotion”, Education and Science, 43(195), 1-17.
- Van Dillen, L. F. and Koole, S. L. (2007), “Clearing the mind: a working memory model of distraction from negative mood”, Emotion 7, 715. doi: 10.1037/1528- 3522.214.171.1245
- Weiss, H.M. and Cropanzano, R. (1996), “Affective events theory: A theoretical discussion of the structure, causes and consequences of affective experiences at work”, In Staw B.M., Cummings, L.L. (Eds.), Research in organizational behavior: An Annual series of analytical essays and critical reviews, 18, (1-74). US, Elsevier Science/JAI Press.
- Yazıcıoğlu, Y. ve Erdoğan, S. (2004), “Spss uygulamalı bilimsel araştırma yöntemleri”, Ankara: Detay Yayıncılık.
- Zhao, H., Wayne, J.S., Glibkowski, B.C. and Bravo, J. (2007), “The impact of psychological contract breach on workrelated outcomes: A meta-analysis”, Personnel Psychology, 60(3), 647-680.