THE MEDIATOR ROLE OF PSYCHOLOGICAL EMPOWERMENT ON THE EFFECT OF INDIVIDUAL CAREER PLANNING ON CAREER SATISFACTION
- Individual Career Planning, Career Satisfaction, Empowerment, Psychological Empowerment, Banking Sector
- Bireysel Kariyer Planı, Kariyer Tatmini, Personel Güçlendirme, Psikolojik Güçlendirme, Bankacılık Sektörü
How to Cite
This paper aims to discover the effect of individual career planning on career satisfaction and the mediating role of psychological empowerment on this relationship. For this purpose, a survey was conducted with banking sector employees and managers. In order to collect data, an online survey was sent to employees working in private and state banks operating in Istanbul. The data obtained were analysed by the AMOS program according to structural equation modelling which is one of the quantitative research methods and causal screening pattern was adopted. In the analysis, it was concluded that individual career plan has a significant and positive effect on career satisfaction. Besides, the psychological empowerment variable was found to has a mediating role in this relationship. It is expected that the study will bring some suggestions to banking sector professionals and stakeholders as well as expanding the relevant literature.
- Abele, A. E., ve Spurk, D. (2009). How Do Objective and Subjective Career Success Interrelate Over Time? Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology. 82, 803– 824.
- Adekola, B. (2011). Career Planning and Career Management as Correlates for Career Development and Job Satisfaction. A Case Study of Nigerian Bank Employees. Australian Journal of Business and Management Research. 1(2), 100-112.
- Anderson, J. C., ve Gerbing, D. W. (1988). Structural Equation Modeling in Practice: A Review and Recommended Two-Step Approach. Psychological Bulletin. 103(3), 411.
- Anurasiri, A. M. (2007). A Study of The Impact of Nature of Career Planning on Job Satisfaction (Doctoral Dissertation, University of Sri Jayewardenepura, Nugegoda).
- Aryee, S., ve Luk, V. (1996). Work and Nonwork Influences on The Career Satisfaction of Dual-Earner Couples. Journal of Vocational Behavior. 49(1), 38-52.
- Aryee, S., ve Debrah, Y. A. (1992). Career Planning an Examination of Individual Non-Work and Work Determinants. International Journal of Human Resource Management. 3(1), 85-104.
- August, L., ve J. Waltman. (2004). Culture, Climate, and Contribution: Career Satisfaction Among Female Faculty. Research in Higher Education. 45(2), 177-192.
- Bagozzi, R. P., ve Yi, Y. (1988). On The Evaluation of Structural Equation Models. Journal of The Academy of Marketing Science. 16(1), 74-94.
- Bandura, A. (1986). Social Foundations of Thought and Action. Englewood Cliffs.
- Baron, R. M., ve Kenny, D. A. (1986). The Moderator–Mediator Variable Distinction in Social Psychological Research: Conceptual, Strategic, and Statistical Considerations. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology. 51(6), 1173.
- Baruch, Y. (2004). Transforming Careers: From Line Artomulti Directional Career Paths: Organizational and Individual Perspectives. Career Development International. 9(1), 58-73.
- Barutçugil, İ. (2002). Performans Yönetimi. İstanbul: Kariyer Yayınları.
- Biesanz, J. C., Falk, C. F., ve Savalei, V. (2010). Assessing Mediational Models: Testing and Interval Estimation for Indirect Effects. Multivariate Behavioral Research. 45(4), 661-701.
- Bilen, D. (1998). Örgütlerde Kariyer Geliştirme ve Bir Uygulama. Yayınlanmamış Yüksek Lisans Tezi, Marmara Üniversitesi, Sosyal Bilimler Enstitüsü, İstanbul.
- Bordin, C., Bartram, T., ve Casimir, G. (2006). The Antecedents and Consequences of Psychological Empowerment Among Singaporean IT employees. Management Research News. 30(1), 34-46.
- Bowen, D. E., ve Lawler III, E. E. (1995). Empowering Service Employees. MIT Sloan Management Review. 36(4), 73.
- Brislin, R. W. (1980). Translation and Content Analysis of Oral and Written Materials. In J. W. Berry ve H. C. Triandis (Eds.), Handbook of Cross-Cultural Psychology. 2, 389-444.
- Brower, M. F. (1995). Empowering Teams: What, Why, and How. Empowerment in Organizations, 3(1), 13-25.
- Byars, L. L., ve Rue, L. W. (1984). Human Resource and Personnel Management. Usa: RD Irwin.
- Byars, L. L., ve Rue, L. W. (2004). Human Resource Management. McGrawHill, inc-United States.
- Carless, S. A. (2004). Does Psychological Empowerment Mediate The Relationship Between Psychological Climate and Job Satisfaction? Journal of Business and Psychology. 18(4), 405-425.
- Cheng, M., Cheng, C., Tian, Y., Fan, X., (2015). Student Nurses’ Motivation to Choose Gerontological Nursing As a Career in China: a Survey Study. Nurse Educ. Today 35(7), 843–848.
- Chiang, C. F., ve Jang, S. (2008). The Antecedents and Consequences of Psychological Empowerment: The Case of Taiwan's Hotel Companies. Journal of Hospitality & Tourism Research, 32(1), 40-61.
- Conger, J. A., ve Kanungo, R. N. (1988). The Empowerment Process: Integrating Theory and Practice. Academy of Management Review. 13(3), 471-482.
- Conley, S., Muncey, D. E., ve You, S. (2005). Standards-Base Devaluation and Teacher Career Satisfaction: A Structural Equation Modeling Analysis. Journal of Personnel Evaluation in Education. 18(1), 39-65.
- Crane, D. P. (1998). Personnel: The Management of Human Resources (4. Edt). Kent Publishing Company: Boston.
- Creed, P. A., Patton, W., ve Prideaux, L. A. (2007). Predicting Change Over Time in Career Planning and Career Exploration for High School Students. Journal of Adolescence. 30(3), 377-392.
- Dee, J. R., Henkin, A. B., ve Duemer, L. (2003). Structural Antecedents and Psychological Correlates of Teacher Empowerment. Journal of Educational Administration. 41(3), 257-277.
- Deniz, M. ve Ünal, A. (2007). İnsan Kaynaklarının Bir Fonksiyonu Olarak Örgütsel Kariyer Yönetimi ve Bir Uygulama. e-Journal of New World Sciences Academy. 2(2), 101-119.
- Dewettinck, K., Singh, J., ve Buyens, D. (2003). Psychological Empowerment in The Workplace: Reviewing the Empowerment Effects on Critical Work Outcomes: Vlerick Management School. Adresinden Alındı: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Dirk_Buyens/publication/23646658_Psychological_Empowerment_in_the_Workplace_Reviewing_the_Empowerment_Effects_on_Critical_Work_Outcomes/links/00463529c6c18cb1b6000000.pdf (04.02.2019).
- Dinham, S., ve Scott, C. (1998). A Three Domain Model of Teacher and School Executive Career Satisfaction. Journal of Educational Administration. 36(4), 362-378.
- Esmer, Y., ve Pabuçcu, H. (2019). Stratejik Kariyer Planlama: Bulanık Mantık Yaklaşımı. İzmir İktisat Dergisi. 34(1), 111-124.
- Fasbender, U., Wöhrmann, A. M., Wang, M., ve Klehe, U. C. (2018). Is The Future Still Open? The Mediating Role of Occupational Future Time Perspective in The Effects of Career Adaptability and Aging Experience on Late Career Planning. Journal of Vocational Behavior. 1-15.
- Fornell, C., ve Larcker, D. F. (1981). Evaluating Structural Equation Models With Unobservable Variables and Measurement Error. Journal of Marketing Research. 18(1), 39-50.
- Gazzoli, G., Hancer, M., ve Park, Y. (2010). The Role and Effect of Job Satisfaction and Empowerment on Customers’ Perception of Service Quality: A Study in The Restaurant Industry. Journal of Hospitality & Tourism Research. 34(1), 56-77.
- Geçikli, F. (2002). Bireysel Kariyer Planlama ve Geliştirmede İmajın Rolü. İstanbul Üniversitesi İletişim Fakültesi Dergisi. (15).
- Granrose, C. S., ve Portwood, J. D. (1987). Matching Individual Career Plans and Organizational Career Management. Academy of Management Journal. 30(4), 699-720.
- Greenhaus, J. H., Parasuraman, S., ve Wormley, W. M. (1990). Effects of Race on Organizational Experiences, job Performance Evaluations, and Career Outcomes. Academy of Management Journal. 33(1), 64-86.
- Greenhaus, J. H., Callanan, G. A., ve Kaplan, E. (1995). The Role of Goal Setting in Career Management. International Journal of Career Management, 7(5), 3-12.
- Greenhaus, J. H., Parasuraman, S., Wormley, W.M., (1990). Effects of Race on Organisational Experiences, Job Performance Evaluations, and Career Outcomes. Academy of Management Journal. 33(1), 64–86.
- Gysbers, N. C. (1983). Create and Use an Individual Career Development Plan. Athens, GA: National Center For Researchin Vocational Education, The Ohio State University.
- Hackman, J. R. (1980). Work Redesign and Motivation. Professional Psychology. 11(3), 445.
- Hair, J. F., Black, W. C., Babin, B. J., Anderson, R. E., ve Tatham, R. L. (2006). Multivariate Data Analysis (Vol. 6): Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson Prentice Hall.
- Hall, D. T. (1986). Career Development in Organizations. Jossey-BassIncPub.
- Harris, K. J., Wheeler, A. R., ve Kacmar, K. M. (2009). Leader–Member Exchange and Empowerment: Direct and Interactive Effects on Job Satisfaction, Turnover İntentions, and Performance. The Leadership Quarterly, 20(3), 371-382.
- Henseler, J., Ringle, C. M., ve Sarstedt, M. (2015). A New Criterion For Assessing Discriminant Validity in Variance-Based Structural Equation Modeling. Journal of The Academy of Marketing Science. 43(1), 115-135.
- Heslin, P. A. (2005). Conceptualizing an Devaluating Career Success. Journal of Organizational Behavior. 26, 113–136.
- Iacobucci, D., Saldanha, N., ve Deng, X. (2007). A Meditation on Mediation: Evidence That Structural Equations Models Perform Better Than Regressions. Journal of Consumer Psychology, 17(2), 139-153.
- Işık, M. (2017). Üniversite Öğrencilerinin Kariyer Değerler Algılarının Karşılaştırılmasına Yönelik Bir Araştırma. International Journal of Academic Values Studies, 3(8), 25-40.
- Jiang, J. J. ve Klein, G. (1999). Supervisor Support and Career Anchorimpact on The Career Satisfaction of Theentry-Level İnformation Systems Professional. J. Manag. Inf. Syst. 16(3), 219–240.
- Joo, B. K., ve Lim, T. (2013). Transformational Leadership and Career Satisfaction: The Mediating Role of Psychological Empowerment. Journal of Leadership & Organizational Studies, 20(3), 316-326.
- Judge, T. A., Cable, D., Boudreau, J., ve Bretz, R., (1995). An Empirical Investigation of The Predictors of Executive Career Success. Personnel Psychology. 48(3), 485–519.
- Jung, H. S., ve Yoon, H. H. (2015). The Impact of Employees’ Positive Psychological Capital on Job Satisfaction and Organizational Citizenship Behaviors in The Hotel. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, 27(6), 1135-1156.
- Karataş, A. (2013). Bankacılık Sektöründe Cinsiyete Dayalı Kariyer Farklılaşması: Muğla ili örneği. Organizasyon ve Yönetim Bilimleri Dergisi. 5(2), 1-16.
- King, Z. (2004). Career Self-Management: Its Nature, Causes and Consequences. Journal of Vocational Behavior, 65, 112-133.
- Kim, B., Lee, G., Murrmann, S. K., ve George, T. R. (2012). Motivational Effects of Empowerment on Employees’ Organizational Commitment: a Mediating Role of Management Trustworthiness. Cornell Hospitality Quarterly. 53(1), 10-19.
- Kline, R. B. (2015). Principles and Practice of Structural Equation Modeling: Guilford publications.
- Koberg, C. S., Boss, R. W., Senjem, J. C., ve Goodman, E. A. (1999). Antecedents and Outcomes of Empowerment: Empirical Evidence From The Health Care Industry. Group ve Organization Management. 24(1), 71-91.
- Kong, H., Cheung, C., ve Song, H. (2012). From Hotel Career Management to Employees’ Career Satisfaction: The Mediating Effect of Career Competency. International Journal of Hospitality Management. 31(1), 76-85.
- Korman, A. K., Mahler, S. R., ve Omran, K. A. (1983). Work Ethics and Satisfaction, Alienation, and Other Reactions. In W. B. Walsh, ve S. H. Osipow (Vol. Eds.), Handbook of vocational psychology: Vol. 2, (ss. 181–206). Hillsdale, NJ: Erlbaum.
- Kraimer, M. L., Seibert, S. E., ve Liden, R. C. (1999). Psychological Empowerment as a Multidimensional Construct: A Test of Construct Validity. Educational and Psychological Measurement. 59(1), 127-142.
- Kumudha, A., ve Abraham, S. (2008). Organization Career Management and Its Impact on Career Satisfaction: A Study in The Banking Sector. ICFAI University Journal of Bank Management. 7(3), 71-84.
- Laschinger, H. K. S., Finegan, J., Shamian, J., ve Wilk, P. (2001). Impact of Structural and Psychological Empowerment on Job Strain in Nursing Work Settings: Expanding Kanter’s Model. Journal of Nursing Administration. 31(5), 260-272.
- Laschinger, H. K. S. (2012). Job and Career Satisfaction and Turnover Intentions of Newly Graduated Nurses. Journal of Nursing Management. 20(4), 472-484.
- Lashley, C., ve McGoldrick, J. (1994). The Limits of Empowerment: A Critical Assessment of Human Resource Strategy for Hospitality Operations. Empowerment in Organizations. 2(3), 25-38.
- Liden, R. C., Wayne, S. J., ve Sparrowe, R. T. (2000). An Examination of The Mediating Role of Psychological Empowerment on The Relations Between The Job, İnterpersonal Relationships, and Work Outcomes. Journal of Applied Psychology. 85(3), 407.
- London, M., (1983). Toward A Theory of Career Motivation. Acad. Manag. Rev. 8(4), 620–630.
- Lounsbury, J. W., Foster, N., Carmody, P. C., Kim, J. Y., Gibson, L. W. ve Drost, A. W. (2012). Key Personality Traits and Career Satisfaction of Customer Service Workers. Managing Service Quality. 22(5), 517-536.
- MacKinnon, D. P., Lockwood, C. M., Hoffman, J. M., West, S. G., ve Sheets, V. (2002). A Comparison of Methods to Test Mediation and Other Intervening Variable Effects. Psychological Methods. 7(1), 83.
- Maggiori, C., Johnston, C. S., Krings, F., Massoudi, K., ve Rossier, J. (2013). The Role of Career Adaptability and Work Conditions on General and Professional Well-Being. Journal of Vocational Behavior. 83(3), 437-449.
- Mallinckrodt, B., Abraham, W. T., Wei, M., ve Russell, D. W. (2006). Advances in Testing the Statistical Significance of Mediation Effects. Journal of Counseling Psychology. 53(3), 372.
- Mathis, R. L., ve Jackson, J. H. (2011). Human Resource Management: Essential Perspectives. New York: Cengage Learning.
- Maynard, M. T., Gilson, L. L., ve Mathieu, J. E. (2012). Empowerment—Fad or Fab? A Multilevel Review of The Past Two Decades of Research. Journal of Management. 38(4), 1231-1281.
- Menon, S. T. (1999). Psychological Empowerment: Definition, Measurement, and Validation. Canadian Journal of Behavioural Science. 31(3), 161.
- Milkovich, George T. ve John C. Anderson, (1997). Career Planning and Management. Gerald R.F. vd (der.), Human Resource Management, Toronto.
- Namasivayam, K., Guchait, P., ve Lei, P. (2014). The Influence of Leader Empowering Behaviors and Employee Psychological Empowerment on Customer Satisfaction. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, 26(1), 69-84.
- Njoku, U., ve Amade, B. (2014). Individual Career Development Planning: A Survey. International Journal of Management Sciences and Business Research. 3(2), 40-48.
- Orpen, C. (1994). The Effects of Organizational and Individual Career Management on Career Success. International Journal of Manpower. 15(1), 27-37.
- Otte, Fred L. ve William M. Kahweiler. (1995). Long-Range Career Planning During Turbulent Times. Business Horizons. 2-7.
- Perkins, D. D., ve Zimmerman, M. A. (1995). Empowerment Theory, Research, and Application. American Journal of Community Psychology. 23(5), 569-579.
- Phillips, S. D., ve Blustein, D. L. (1994). Readiness for Career Choices: Planning, Exploring, and Deciding. The Career Development Quarterly. 43(1), 63-73.
- Phillips, S. D., Cairo, P. C., Myers, R. A., Ryan, T. G., Hoffer, G. L., ve Croes-Silverman, M. (1980). Career Planning Modules For The Officer Career Information and Planning System. Columbia University Newyork Teacherscoll. U.s. Army Research Institute for The Behavioral and Social Sciences 5001 Eisenhower Avenue, Alexandria, Virginia 22333.
- Priyantha, H. M., ve Mendis, B. (2005). Individual Career Planning of Workers and Influence on Job Satisfaction: A Case Study of Workers Employeed in the C.V. Gooneratne International Industrial Park in Sri Lanka. Sabaragumuwa University Jurnal. 5(1), 25-39.
- Raabe, B., Frese, M. ve Beehr, T. A. (2007). Action Regulation Theory and Career Self-Management. Journal of Vocational Behavior. 70, 297-311.
- Riaz, A., ve Haider, M. H. (2010). Role of Transformational and Transactional Leadership on Job Satisfaction and Career Satisfaction. Business and Economic Horizons. 1(1), 29-38.
- Rogers, M., Creed, P. ve IanGlendon, A. (2008). The Role of Personality in Adolescent Career Planning and Exploration: A Social Cognitive Perspective. Journal of Vocational Behavior, 73(1), 132-142.
- Rudolph, C. W., Kooij, D. T. A. M., Rauvola, R. S., ve Zacher, H. (2018). Occupational Future Time Perspective: A Meta-Analysis of Antecedents and Outcomes. Journal of Organizational Behavior. 39, 229–248.
- Salazar, J., Pfaffenberg, C., ve Salazar, L. (2006). Locus of Control vs. Employee Empowerment and The Relationship With Hotel Managers’ Job Satisfaction. Journal of Human Resources in Hospitality & Tourism. 5(1), 1-15.
- Saleem, Y., Kamran, M. R., Sabir, F., ve Iqbal, J. (2013). Career Development An Imperative of Job Satisfaction and Career Commitment: Empirical Evidence From Pakistani Employees in Banking Sector. European Journal of Business and Management. 5(21), 108-118.
- Saraswati, S., ve Amin, Z. N. (2016). Career Planning Attitude of Javanese and Chinese Student. The Proceeding of 1st Semarang State University International Conference on Counseling and Educational Psychology Semarang, Indonesia, 18-19 October.
- Seibert, S. E., Silver, S. R., ve Randolph, W. A. (2004). Taking Empowerment to The Next Level: A multiple-Level Model Of Empowerment, Performance and Satisfaction. Academy of Management Journal. 47(3), 332-349.
- Seibert, S. E., Wang, G., ve Courtright, S. H. (2011). Antecedents and Consequences of Psychological and Team Empowerment in Organizations: A Meta-Analytic Review. Journal of Applied Psychology. 96(5), 981.
- Shimaoka, M. (2015). Strategic Career Planning For Physician-Scientists. Journal of Orthopaedic Science. 20(3), 452-456.
- Spreitzer, G. M. (1995). Psychological Empowerment in The Workplace: Dimensions, Measurement and Validation. Academy of Management Journal. 38(5), 1442-1465.
- Spreitzer, G. M., De Janasz, S. C., ve Quinn, R. E. (1999). Empowered to Lead: The Role of Psychological Empowerment in Leadership. Journal of Organizational Behavior: The International Journal of Industrial, Occupational and Organizational Psychology and Behavior. 20(4), 511-526.
- Spreitzer, G. M., Kizilos, M. A., ve Nason, S. W. (1997). A Dimensional Analysis of The Relationship Between Psychological Empowerment and Effectiveness Satisfaction and Strain. Journal of Management. 23(5), 679-704.
- Spurk, D., Abele, A. E., ve Volmer, J. (2011). The Career Satisfaction Scale: Longitudinal Measurement Invariance and Latent Growth Analysis. Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology. 84(2), 315-326.
- Thomas, K. W., ve Velthouse, B. A. (1990). Cognitive Elements of Empowerment: An “Interpretive” Model of Intrinsic Task Motivation. Academy of Management Review. 15(4), 666-681.
- Walker, J. W. (1973). Individual Career Planning: Managerial Help for Subordinates. Business Horizons. 16(1), 65-72.
- Weiss, E.M. (1999). Perceived Workplace Conditions and First-Yearteachers’ Morale, Career Choice Commitment, and Plannedretention: A Secondary Analysis. Teaching and Teacher Education. 15(8), 861-879.
- WertherJr, W. B., ve Davis, K. (1993). Personnel Management and Human Resources. USA, McGrawHill.
- Yalalova, J.F. ve Zhang, L. (2017). The Impact of Self-Efficacy on Career Satisfaction: Evidence From Russia. Erişim: 12.05.2019. Adresinden Alındı: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Julia_Yalalova/publication/318589868_The_Impact_of_SelfEfficacy_on_Career_Satisfaction_Evidence_from_Russia/links/5a4257b60f7e9ba868a46d8d/The-Impact-of-Self-Efficacy-on-Career-Satisfaction-Evidence-from-Russia.pdf.