A THEORETICAL STUDY DIRECTED AT THE ACCESSIBLE TOURISM MARKET UNDER THE TRAVEL VALUE CHAIN
- Accessible Tourism, Value Chain Analysis, Disabled Tourism
- Erişilebilir Turizm, Değer Zinciri Analizi, Engelli Turizmi
How to Cite
What lies at the basis of all travel and tourism activities is ensuring that the many different products and services required by the tourist during his / her travels are provided by different organisations and businesses. Value Chain Analysis is a useful technique for the purposes of gaining an understanding of the contents of these products and services, and establishing an associative understanding between the organisations and businesses which provide these. The purpose of this study is to evaluate the accessible tourism market, which is an important market throughout the whole world, under the elements of the travel value chain. In this context, the concepts of accessible tourism, the accessible tourism market and the characteristics of the sub-groups which constitute the market are explained first, followed by an explanation of the concept of the travel value chain and an assessment of the accessible tourism market under the elements of the travel value chain.
- Bi, Y., Card, J. A. and Cole, S. T. (2007). Accessibility and attitudinal barriers encountered by Chinese travellers with physical disabilities. International Journal of Tourism Research, 9(3), 205–216.
- Burnett, J. J. and Baker, B. H. (2001). Assessing the travel-related behaviors of the mobility-disabled consumer. Journal of Travel Research, 40, 4-11.
- Buhalis, D. and Darcy, S. (2011). Accessible Tourism: Concepts and Issues (Aspects of Tourism). ISBN 1845411609, Channel View Publications, USA.
- Buhalis, D., Darcy, S. and Ambrose, I. (2012). Best Practice in Accessible Tourism: Inclusion, Disbility, Ageing Population and Tourism. ISBN:-15 9781 84541 2531, Chanel View Publication, USA.
- Buhalis, D., Eichhorn,V., Michopoulou, E. and Miller, G. (2005). OSSATE Accessibility Market and Stakeholder Analysis, 1-88, from: [http://www.accessibletourism.org/resources/ossate_market_analysis_public_final.pdf], Date of Access: 18.09.2019.
- Buhalis, D. and Michopoulou, E. (2011). Information-enabled tourism destination marketing: Addressing the accessibility market. Current Issues in Tourism, 14(2), 145–168.
- Busbin, J.W., Johnson J. T. and DeConinck J. (2008). The Evolution of Sustainable Competitive Advantage: From Value Chain to Modular Outsource Networking. Competition Forum, 6(1), 103-108.
- Cavinato, J. L. & Cuckovich, M. L. (1992). Transportation and tourism for the disabled: An assessment. Transportation Journal, 3(31), 46-53.
- Daniels, M.J., Rrodgers, E.B.D., Wiggins, B.P. (2005). Travel Tales: An Interpretive Analysis of Constraintsand Negotiations to Pleasure Travel as Experienced by Persons with Phsical Disabilities. Tourism Management, 26, 919-930.
- Darcy, S., Cameron, B. and Pegg, S. (2010). Accessible Tourism and Sustainability: A Discussion and Case Study. Journal of Sustainable Tourism, 18(4), 515–537.
- Darcy, S. and Dickson, T. (2009). A Whole-of-Life Approach to Tourism: The Case for Accessible Tourism Experiences. Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Management, 16(1), 32-44.
- Darcy, S. and Pegg, S. (2011). Towards Strategic Intent: Perceptions of Disability Service Provision Amongst Hotel Accommodation Managers. International Journal of Hospitality Management, 30, 468-476.
- Eichhorn, V. and Buhalis, D. (2011). Accessibility – A Key Objective for the Tourism Industry. IN Buhalis, D. & Darcy, S. (Eds.) Accessible Tourism: Concepts and Issues, (pp. 46-61). Bristol: Channel View Publications, USA.
- ENAT-European Network for Accessible Tourism (2012). The Underestimated Market Potential of Barrier-free Tourism, World Travel Monitor Forum, Pisa. [http://www.accessibletourism.org/resources/enat-the-underestimated-market.pdf]. Date of Access: 18.09.2019.
- ENAT NOP Visit Britain. (2003).
- From http://www.accessibletourism.org/resources/enat_study_1_rights_final_en.pdf. Date of Access: 18.03.2019.
- European Commission. (2004). European disability strategy 2010–2020: A renewed commitment to a barrier-free Europe, no. 636 [http://eur-lex.europa.eu/oj/direct-access.html]. Date of Access: 18.07.2017.
- Fleischer, A. and Pizam, A. (2002). Tourism constraints among Israeli seniors. Annals of Tourism Research, 1(29), 106-123.
- Grady, J. and Ohlin, J.B. (2009). Equal access to hospitality services for guests with mobility impairments under the Americans with Disabilities Act: implications for the hospitality industry. International Journal of Hospitality Management, 28, 161-169.
- ITB Berlin. (2012). World travel trends report 2012/2013. Retrieved from http://www.itb-berlin.de/media/itbk/itbk_media/itbk_pdf/WTTR_Report_2013_web.pdf. Date of Access: 18.09.2019.
- Iwarsson S. and Ståhl, A., (2003). Accessibility, usability and universal design--positioning and definition of concepts describing person-environment relationships, Disabil Rehabil, 25(2), 57-66.
- Kim, S. and Lehto, X. Y. (2011). The voice of tourists with mobility disabilities: insights from online customer complaint websites. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, 24(3), 451-476.
- Kuşluvan, S. and Karamustafa, K. (2001). Türkiyede Dış Aktif Turizmin Gelişmesinde Yabancı Tur Operatörlerinin Rolü, Pazarlama Dünyası, 16(5), 18-28.
- McKercher, B., Packer, T., Yau M. K. and Lam, P. (2003). Travel agents as facilitators or inhibitors of travel: perceptions of people with disabilities. Tourism Management, 24(4), 465-474.
- Miller, G. and Kirk, E. (2002). The Disability Discrimination Act: Time for a stick?. Journal of Sustainable Tourism, 10(1), 82-88.
- Murray, M. and Sproats, J. (1990). The disabled traveller: Tourism and disability in Australia. Journal of Tourism Studies, 1(1), 9-14.
- Oppenheim, C. and Selby, K. (1999). Access to information on the World Wide Web for blind and visually impaired people. Aslib Proceedings, 51(10), 335-345.
- Ray, N. M. and Ryder, M. E. (2003). Ebilities tourism: An exploratory discussion of the travel needs and motivations of the mobility-disabled. Tourism Management, 24, 57–72.
- Rice, P. (2006). Universal Management: a Proposal to Change the Direction of Accessibility Management in the Australian Tourism Industry to Create Benefits for all Australians and Visitors to Australia. The Review of Disability Studies: An International Journal, 2(2), 64-79.
- Richards V., Pritchard A. and Morgan N. (2010). (Re)envisioning Tourism and Visual Impairment. Annals of Tourism Research 37(4), 1097–1116.
- Shaw,G. and Coles, T. (2004). Disability, Holiday Making and the Tourism Industry in the UK: A Preliminary Survey. Tourism Management, 25, 397–403.
- Smith, R.W. (1987). Leisure of disabled tourists: barriers to participation. Annals of Tourism Research, 14(3), 376–389.
- Turco, D. M., Stumbo, N. and Garncarz, J. (1998). Tourism Constraints- People with Disabilities. Parks and Recreation Journal, 33(9), 78–84.
- TÜRSAB. (2008). Dünyada ve Türkiye’de Engelsiz Turizm Pazarı.https://www.tursab.org.tr/tr/engelsiz-turizm/dunyada-ve-turkiyede-engelsiz-turizm-pazari_487.html. Date of Access: 19.09.2019.
- UNWTO (2005). From
- http://www2.unwto.org/sites/all/files/docpdf/2005resolutionaccessibletourismforall.pdf. Date of Access: 19.04.2019.
- Var, T., Yesiltas, M., Yaylı, A. and Öztürk, Y. (2011). A Study on the Travel Patterns of Physically Disabled People. Asia Pacific Journal of Tourism Research, 16(6), 599-618.
- Veitch, C. and Shaw, G. (2011). Disability legislation and empowerment of tourists with disability: The UK case. In Buhalis D. and Darcy S. (Der.) Accessible tourism concepts and issues. 62-71. Bristol Channel View Publications.
- Vignuda, J. (2001). Promotion of Barrier-Free Tourism for People with Disabilities in the Asian and Pacific Region. Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP). Seminar on Sustainable Development of Ecotourism in Pacific Island Countries, November, 17–18, 2001 Suva, Fiji.
- World Disability Foundation. (2012). From
- http://www.who.int/disabilities/world_report/2011/report.pdf. Date of Access: 19.01.2019.
- Yau, M. K., McKercher, B. and Packer, T. L. (2004). Traveling with a disability: More than an access issue. Annals of Tourism Research, 31(4), 946-960.
- Yoon, Y. and Uysal, M. (2005). An examination of the effects of motivation and satisfaction ondestination loyalty: a structural model. Tourism Management, 2(6), 45-56.