EXAMINING FOOD WASTE GENERATION FACTORS IN RESTAURANTS BASED ON THE SERVICE BLUEPRINT
- Food Waste, Restaurant, Service Blueprint, Systematic Literature Review
- Atık Gıda, Restoran, Hizmet Planı, Sistematik Literatür Taraması
How to Cite
Food waste has attracted the world’s attention as an environmental, social, and economic problem. Food waste is generated during the production, distribution, and consumption stages. At the consumption stages, two parties make up food waste, namely, food services and households. In this study, the factors that cause food waste generation in restaurants operating in the food services sector are examined with a systematic literature review. Factors causing waste food generation are classified under (i) physical evidence (ii) customer activities (iii) activities of front-office employees (iv) activities of back-office employees and (v) support activities according to the service blueprint showing the activities during service delivery. In line with the findings, there are contributions to food waste literature, and several strategies for food waste prevention based on service blueprint have been proposed for restaurants.
- Aamir, M., Ahmad, H., Javaid, Q., & Hasan, S. M. (2018). Waste not, want not: a case study on food waste in restaurants of Lahore, Pakistan. Journal of Food Products Marketing, 24(5), 591–610.
- Amato, M., & Musella, M. (2017). Quantification of food waste within food service in the historic centre of Naples: A case study. Quality - Access to Success, 18, 22–28.
- Bharucha, J. (2018). Tackling the challenges of reducing and managing food waste in Mumbai restaurants. British Food Journal, 120(3), 639–649.
- Bio Intelligence Service, 2010. Preparatory Study on Food Waste across EU 27, Technical Report. doi:10.2779/85947.
- Bitner, M. J., Ostrom, A. L., & Morgan, F. N. (2008). Service blueprinting: A practical technique for service ınnovation. California Management Review, 50(3), 66–94.
- Brancoli, P., Rousta, K., & Bolton, K. (2017). Life cycle assessment of supermarket food waste. Resources, Conservation and Recycling, 118, 39-46.
- Charlebois, S., Creedy, A., & von Massow, M. (2015). “Back of house” – focused study on food waste in fine dining: The case of Delish restaurants. International Journal of Culture, Tourism, and Hospitality Research, 9(3), 278–291.
- COMCEC (2017), Reducing Food Waste in the OIC Countries. Standing Committee for Economic and Commercial Cooperation of the Organization of Islamic Cooperation (COMCEC), Ankara, http://www.sbb.gov.tr/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/Reducing_Food_Waste_in_the_OIC_Countries%E2%80%8B.pdf adresinden 14 Ekim 2019 tarihinde erişildi.
- Chen, H. S., & Jai, Tun-Min, (Catherine) J.(2018). Waste less, enjoy more: Forming a messaging campaign and reducing food waste in restaurants. Journal of Quality Assurance in Hospitality and Tourism, 19(4), 495–520.
- Dailysabah (2016). “Leave more than 100 grams of leftover food on plate, pay 2 euros, German restaurant says”, https://www.dailysabah.com/food/2016/03/11/leave-more-than-100-grams-of-leftover-food-on-plate-pay-2-euros-german-restaurant-says adresinden 14 Ekim 2019 tarihinde erişildi.
- Eriksson, M., Lindgren, S., & Persson Osowski, C. (2018). Mapping of food waste quantification methodologies in the food services of Swedish municipalities. Resources, Conservation and Recycling, 137(April), 191–199.
- Evans, D. (2012). Beyond the throwaway society: ordinary domestic practice and a sociological approach to household food waste. Sociology, 46(1), 41–56.
- FAO. (2019a). The state of food security and nutrition in the world. http://www.fao.org/3/ca5162en/ca5162en.pdf adresinden 2 Eylül 2019 erişildi.
- FAO. (2019b). Food Loss and Food Waste. http://www.fao.org/food-loss-and-food-waste/en/ adresinden 2 Eylül 2019 erişildi.
- Filimonau, V., & De Coteau, D. A. (2019). Food waste management in hospitality operations: A critical review. Tourism Management, 71, 234–245.
- Fu, Y., Kok, R. A. W., Dankbaar, B., Ligthart, P. E. M., & van Riel, A. C. R. (2018). Factors affecting sustainable process technology adoption: A systematic literature review. Journal of Cleaner Production, 205, 226–251.
- Getlinger, M. J., Laughlin, C. V., Bell, E., Akre, C., & Arjmandi, B. H. (1996). Food waste is reduced when elementary-school children have recess before lunch. Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, 96(9), 906.
- Gokarn, S., & Kuthambalayan, T. S. (2017). Analysis of challenges inhibiting the reduction of waste in food supply chain. Journal of Cleaner Production, 168, 595-604.
- Gough, D., Oliver, S., & Thomas, J. (2012). Introducing systematic reviews. An Introduction to Systematic Reviews (ss. 1–16) içinde. Sage.
- Hackes, B. L., Shanklin, C. W., Kim, T., & Su, A. Y. (1997). Tray service generates more food waste in dining areas of a continuing-care retirement community. Journal of the American Dietetic Association, 97(8), 879-882.
- Hamerman, E. J., Rudell, F., & Martins, C. M. (2018). Factors that predict taking restaurant leftovers: Strategies for reducing food waste. Journal of Consumer Behaviour, 17(1), 94–104.
- Heikkilä, L., Reinikainen, A., Katajajuuri, J.-M., Silvennoinen, K., & Hartikainen, H. (2016). Elements affecting food waste in the food service sector. Waste Management, 56, 446–453.
- Huang, L., Kelly, S., Lv, K., & Giurco, D. (2019). A systematic review of empirical methods for modelling sectoral carbon emissions in China. Journal of Cleaner Production, 215, 1382-1401.
- Hummel, E., & Murphy, K. S. (2011). Using service blueprinting to analyze restaurant service efficiency. Cornell Hospitality Quarterly, 52(3), 265–272.
- Juvan, E., Grün, B., & Dolnicar, S. (2018). Biting off more than they can chew: Food waste at hotel breakfast buffets. Journal of Travel Research, 57(2), 232–242.
- Kallbekken, S., & Sælen, H. (2013). “Nudging” hotel guests to reduce food waste as a win-win environmental measure. Economics Letters, 119(3), 325–327.
- Kasavan, S., Mohamed, A. F., & Halim, S. A. (2019). Drivers of food waste generation: Case study of island-based hotels in Langkawi, Malaysia. Waste Management, 91, 72-79.
- Kasavan, S., Mohamed, A. F., & Halim, S. A. (2018). Knowledge and attitudes of hoteliers in Langkawi UNESCO Global Geopark towards Sustainable Food Waste Management (SFWM). Pertanika Journal of Social Sciences & Humanities, 26(3), 1941-1955.
- Kingman‐Brundage, J., George, W. R., & Bowen, D. E. (1995). “Service logic”: achieving service system integration. International Journal of Service Industry Management, 6(4), 20–39.
- Marais, M. L., Smit, Y., Koen, N., & Lötze, E. (2017). Are the attitudes and practices of food service managers, catering personnel and students contributing to excessive food wastage at Stellenbosch university? South African Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 30(3), 15–22.
- Martin-Rios, C., Demen-Meier, C., Gössling, S. & Cornuz, C. (2018). Food waste management innovations in the foodservice industry. Waste Management, 79, 196–206.
- McDougall, G. H., & Snetsinger, D. W. (1990). The intangibility of services: Measurement and competitive perspectives. Journal of Services Marketing, 4(4), 27-40.
- Milton, S. K., & Johnson, L. W. (2012). Service blueprinting and BPMN: A comparison. Managing Service Quality: An International Journal, 22(6), 606–621.
- Nam, S., Ha, C., & Lee, H. (2018). Redesigning in-flight service with service blueprint based on text analysis. Sustainability, 10(12), 4492.
- Okumus, B. (2019). How do hotels manage food waste? evidence from hotels in Orlando, Florida. Journal of Hospitality Marketing & Management, 1-19.
- Pleger Bebko, C. (2000). Service intangibility and its impact on consumer expectations of service quality. Journal of Services Marketing, 14(1), 9-26.
- Principato, L. (2018). Food Waste at Consumer Level: A Comprehensive Literature Review. Springer.
- Roodhuyzen, D. M. A., Luning, P. A., Fogliano, V., & Steenbekkers, L. P. A. (2017). Putting together the puzzle of consumer food waste: Towards an integral perspective. Trends in Food Science and Technology, 68, 37–50.
- Sakaguchi, L., Pak, N., & Potts, M. D. (2018). Tackling the issue of food waste in restaurants: Options for measurement method, reduction and behavioral change. Journal of Cleaner Production, 180, 430–436.
- Shostack, G. L. (1982). How to design a service. European Journal of Marketing, 16(1), 49–63.
- Shostack, G. L. (1987). Service positioning through structural change. Journal of Marketing, 51(1), 34–43.
- Sirieix, L., Lála, J., & Kocmanová, K. (2017). Understanding the antecedents of consumers’ attitudes towards doggy bags in restaurants: Concern about food waste, culture, norms and emotions. Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, 34, 153–158.
- Stöckli, S., Dorn, M., & Liechti, S. (2018). Normative prompts reduce consumer food waste in restaurants. Waste Management, 77, 532-536.
- Tatlıdil, F. F., Dellal, I., & Bayramoğlu, Z. (2013). Food losses and waste in Turkey. Country Report Prepared. National Adaptation Plans (NAPs).
- UN. (2019). Sustainable development goals. https://www.un.org/sustainabledevelopment/sustainable-development-goals/ adresinden 15 Eylül 2019 tarihinde erişildi.
- Vermote, M., Versele, V., Stok, M., Mullie, P., D’Hondt, E., Deforche, B., ... & Deliens, T. (2018). The effect of a portion size intervention on French fries consumption, plate waste, satiety and compensatory caloric intake: An on-campus restaurant experiment. Nutrition Journal, 17(1), 43.
- Wang, L., Liu, G., Liu, X., Liu, Y., Gao, J., Zhou, B., … Cheng, S. (2017). The weight of unfinished plate: A survey based characterization of restaurant food waste in Chinese cities. Waste Management, 66, 3–12.
- Willersinn, C., Mouron, P., Mack, G., & Siegrist, M. (2017). Food loss reduction from an environmental, socio-economic and consumer perspective–The case of the Swiss potato market. Waste Management, 59, 451-464.
- Wen, Z., Hu, S., De Clercq, D., Beck, M. B., Zhang, H., Zhang, H., … Liu, J. (2018). Design, implementation, and evaluation of an Internet of Things (IoT) network system for restaurant food waste management. Waste Management, 73, 26–38.
- Wiens, J. A., & Parker, K. R. (1995). Analyzing the effects of accidental environmental impacts: Approaches and assumptions. Ecological Applications, 5(4), 1069-1083.
- WFP, 2019. World food programme. https://www1.wfp.org adresinden 4 Kasım 2019 tarihinde erişildi.
- WRAP UK. (2018). The Courtauld 2025 baseline and restated household food waste figures. http://www.wrap.org.uk/content/courtauld-2025-baseline-and-restated-household-food-waste-figures adresinden 11 Eylül 2019 tarihinde erişildi.
- Zeithaml, V. A., Parasuraman, A., & Berry, L. L. (1985). Problems and strategies in services marketing. Journal of Marketing, 49(2), 33-46.
- Zeithaml, V. A., & Bitner, M. J. (2003). Services Marketing: Integrating Customer Focus Across the Firm. New York: McGraw-Hill.