AN INVESTIGATION OF ONLINE SHOPPING AND CUSTOMER SATISFACTION: THE ROLE OF WEB DESIGN
- Online shopping, Customer satisfaction, Repurchase intention
- Çevrimiçi alışveriş, Müşteri memnuniyeti, Tekrar satın alma
How to Cite
The rapid development of technology over the last decades has led to significant changes in every aspect of the supply chain by increasing efficiency and effectiveness. This development, which also brings the redefinition of business processes, leads the companies to differentiate in these newly formed competition areas. Online retailing in Turkey Along with this change increases the growth performance in recent years. It is necessary to maintain this rapid growth in the long term, with the development of information technologies and the continuous updating of the infrastructure, and extensive marketing communication activities. For this purpose, it is essential to examine the determinants that affect the behavior of consumers who perform online purchasing experience through studies to be conducted on the consumer side. The main purpose of this research is to examine the effects of information quality, website aesthetics, website convenience and price offerings on the website that affect the online purchasing behaviors of consumers on total customer satisfaction. In addition, the impact of this total customer satisfaction on e-trust and repurchase intention is being investigated. For this purpose, the data of the survey were collected with a questionnaire conducted with the consumers selected by convenience sampling method. The data were analyzed by SPSS v23 and SmartPLS Structural Equation Modelling. According to the results, web site convenience and price offers affect total customer satisfaction. Similarly, total customer satisfaction affects e-trust and repurchase intention. While e-trust also affects repurchase intention, it has been found that the quality of the information presented on the website and the aesthetics of the website are not effective on customer satisfaction. The study helps to better understand the conditions that lead to online shopping and repurchase intention.
- Abdul-Muhmin, A.G. (2011), “Repeat Purchase Intentions in Online Shopping: The Role of Satisfaction, Attitude, and Online Retailers’ Performance”, Journal of International Consumer Marketing, 23, 5-20.
- Afshardost M., Farahmandian, S. ve Eshaghi, S.M.S. (2013), “Linking trust, perceived website quality, privacy protection, gender and online purchase intentions”, IOSR Journal of Business and Management, 13 (4), 63-72.
- Ariff, M., Yan, N., Zakuan, N., Rahim, K.A. ve Ismail, K. (2013), “Online purchasing behavior of Malaysia’s young consumers”, Recent Trends in Social and Behaviour Sciences, Proceedings of the International Congress on Interdisciplinary Behaviour and Social Sciences, 167-173.
- Bagozzi, R. P. ve Yi, Y. (1988), “On the evaluation of structural equation models”, Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 16 (1), 74-94.
- Barnes, S.J. ve Vidgen, R. (2001), “An evaluation of cyber-bookshops: the WEBQUAL method”, International Journal of Electronic Commerce, 6 (1), 11-30.
- Barnes, S.J. ve Vidgen, R. (2002), “An integrative approach to the assessment of e-commerce quality”, Journal of Electronic Commerce Research, 3 (3), 114-127.
- Bilgihan, A. ve Bujisic, M. (2015), “The effect of website features in online relationship marketing: A case of online hotel booking”, Electronic Commerce Research and Applications, 14, 222-232.
- Blut, M. (2016), “E-Service Quality: Development of a Hierarchical Model”, Journal of Retailing, 92 (4), 500-517.
- Büttner, O.B., Florack, A. ve Göritz, A.S. (2013), “Shopping orientation and mindsets: how motivation influences consumer information processing during shopping”, Psychology & Marketing, 30 (9), 779-793.
- Chang, H.H. ve Chen, S.W. (2008), “The impact of online store environment cues onpurchase intention: trust and perceived risk as a mediator”, Online Information Review, 32 (6), 818-841.
- Chen, Y. and Barnes, S. (2007), “Initial trust and online buyer behavior”, Industrial Management and Data Systems, 107 (1), 21-36.
- Chiang, C.F. ve Jang, S.C. (2007), “The effects of perceived price and brand imageon value and purchase intention: leisure travelers’ attitude toward online hotel booking”, Journal of Hospitality & Leisure Marketing, 15 (3), 49-69.
- Dabija, D.C. ve Babut, R. (2014), “Enhancing consumers’ satisfaction and loyalty of retailers in Romania through store ambiance and communication”, Procedia Economics and Finance, 15, 372-382.
- Dash, S.B. ve Saji, K.B. (2007), “Role of self-efficacy and website social-presence in customers’ adoption of B2C online shopping: an empirical study in the Indian context”, Journal of International Consumer Marketing, 20 (2), 33-48.
- Delgado-Ballester, E. ve Munuera-Aleman, J.L. (2001), “Brand trust in the context of consumer loyalty. European Journal of Marketing”, 35 (11/12), 1238-1258.
- Fang, J., George B., Shao, Y. ve Wen, C. (2016), “Affective and cognitive factors influencing repeat buying in e-commerce”, Electronic Commerce Research and Applications, 19, 44-55.
- Fang, Y., Chiu, C. ve Wang, E. T. G. (2011), “Understanding customers' satisfaction and repurchase intentions: an integration of IS success model, trust, and justice”, Internet Research, 21 (4), 479-503.
- Fiore, A.M., Kim, J. ve Lee, H.H. (2005), “Effect of image interactivity technology on consumer responses toward the online retailer”, Journal of Interactive Marketing, 19 (3), 38-53.
- Fornell, C. ve Larcker, D.F. (1981), “Evaluating structural models with unobservables variables and measurement error”, Journal of Marketing Research, 18 (1), 39-50.
- Hair, J.F., Hult, G.T.M., Ringle, C.M. ve Sarstedt, M. (2014), A Primer On Partial Least Squares Structural Equation Modeling (PLS-SEM). SAGE Publications.
- Hair, J.F., Sarstedt, M., Ringle, C.M. ve Mena, J.A. (2012), “An assessment of the use of partial least squares structural equation modeling in marketing research”, Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 40 (3), 414-433.
- Harris, L. C., ve Goode, M. M. H. (2004), “The four levels of loyalty and the pivotal role of trust: A study of online service Dynamics”, Journal of Retailing, 80, 139-158.
- Hasanov, J. ve Khalid, H. (2015), “The impact of website quality on online purchase intention of organic food in Malaysia: a WebQual Model approach”, Procedia Computer Science, 72, 382-389.
- Hellier, P. K., Geursen, G. M., Carr, R. A. ve Rickard, J. A. (2003), “Customer repurchase intention: A general structural equation model”, European Journal of Marketing, 37 (11/12), 1762-1800.
- Hsu, H.Y. ve Tsou, H.T. (2011), “Effect of website quality on consumer emotional states and repurchases intention”, African Journal of Business Management, 5 (15), 6195-6200.
- Huang, M.H. (2005), “Web performance scale”, Information & Management, 42 (6), 841-852.
- Hulland, J. (1999), “Use of partial least squares (PLS) in strategic management research: A review of four recent studies”, Strategic Management Journal, 20 (2), 195-204.
- Jeong, M.H.O. ve Gregoire, M. (2003), “Conceptualizing websites quality and itsconsequences in the lodging industry”, International Journal of Hospitality Management, 20 (2), 129-146.
- Jiang, P. ve Rosenbloom, B., (2005), “Customer intention to return online: price perception, attribute-level performance, and satisfaction unfolding over time”, European Journal of Marketing, 39 (1/2), 150-174.
- Jiang, Z.H., Wang, W., Tan, B.C.Y. ve Yu, A.J. (2016), “The determinants and impacts of aesthetics in users’ first interaction with websites”, Journal of Management Information Systems, 33 (1), 229-259.
- Johnson, D.S. (2007), “Achieving customer value from electronic channels through identity commitment, calculative commitment, and trust in technology”, Journal of Interactive Marketing, 21 (4), 2-22.
- Jones, M. A., Mothersbauch, D. L. ve Beatty, S. E. (2000), “Switching barriers and repurchase intentions in services”, Journal of Retailing, 76 (2), 259-274.
- Kim, W.G., Ma, X.J. ve Kim, D.J. (2006), “Determinants of chinese hotel customers’ E-satisfaction and purchase intentions”, Tourism Management, 27 (5), 890-900.
- Kiran, R., Sharma, A. ve Mittal, K. C. (2008), “Attitudes, Preferences and Profile of Online Buyers in India: Changing Trends”, South Asian Journal of Management, 15 (3), 55-73.
- Li, L., Penga, M., Jiangb, N. ve Law, R. (2017), “An empirical study on the influence of economy hotel website quality on online booking intentions”, International Journal of Hospitality Management, 63, 1-10.
- Li, X.X. ve Hitt, L.M. (2010), “Price effects in online product reviews: an analytical modeland empirical analysis”, MIS Quart, 34 (4), 809-832.
- Lim, W. M. (2015), “Antecedents and consequences of e-shopping: an integrated model”, Internet Research, 25 (2), 184-217.
- Limbu, Y.B., Wolf, M. ve Lunsford, D. (2012), “Perceived ethics of online retailers and consumer behavioral intentions: The mediating roles of trust and attitude”, Journal of Research in Interactive Marketing, 6 (2), 133-154.
- Liu, J.N.K. ve Zhang, E.Y. (2014), “An investigation of factors affecting customer selection of online hotelbooking channels”, International Journal of Hospitality Management, 39, 71-83.
- Loiacono, E.T., Watson, R.T ve Goodhue, D.L. (2002), “WEBQUAL: a measure of web site quality”, Marketing Theory and Applications, 13 (3), 432-438.
- Malik, G. ve Sachdeva, H. (2015), “Impact of sales promotion technique used by online dealers on consumers”, International Journal of Applied Sciences and Management, 1 (1), 63-78.
- McKnight, D. ve Chervany, N. (2002), “What trust means in e-commerce customer relationships: an interdisciplinary conceptual typology”, International Journal of Electronic Commerce, 6 (2), 35-39.
- Morgan, R.M. ve Hunt, S.D. (1994), “The commitment-trust theory of relationship marketing”, Journal of Marketing, 58 (3), 20-38.
- Nielsen (2018), https://www.nielsen.com/tr/tr/insights/article/2018/turkey-carries-great-potential-digital-conversion/ (Erişim 10.9.2019)
- Pantano, E., Rese, A. ve Baier, D. (2017), “Enhancing the online decision-making process by using augmented reality: A two country comparison of youth markets”, Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, 38, 81-95.
- Pappas, I.O., Kourouthanassis, P.E., Giannakos, M.N. ve Chrissikopoulos, V. (2016), “Explaining online shopping behavior with fsQCA: the role of cognitive and affective perceptions”, Journal of Business Research, 69 (2), 794-803.
- Pavlou, P.A. (2003), “Consumer acceptance of electronic commerce: integrating trust and risk with the technology acceptance model”, International Journal of Electronic Commerce, 7 (3), 101-134.
- Peterson, R.A., Sridhar, B. ve Bart, J.B. (1997), “Exploring the implications of the internet for consumer marketing”, Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 25 (4), 329-346.
- Pham, T.S.H. ve Ahammad M.F. (2017), “Antecedents and consequences of online customer satisfaction: A holistic process perspective”, Technological Forecasting & Social Change, 124, 332-342.
- Rose, S., Clark, M., Samouel, P. ve Hair, N. (2012), “Online customer experience in e-retailing: an empirical model of antecedents and outcomes”, Journal of Retailing, 88 (2), 308-322.
- Selnes, F. (1998), “Antecedents and consequences of trust and satisfaction in buyer-seller relationships”, European Journal of Marketing, 32 (3/4), 305-322.
- SivaKumar, A. ve Gunasekaran, A. (2017), “An Empirical Study on the Factors Affecting Online Shopping Behavior of Millennial Consumers”, Journal of Internet Commerce, 16 (3), 219-230.
- Spreng R.A., MacKenzie, S.B. ve Olshavsky, R.W. (1996), “A re-examination of the determinants of consumer satisfaction”, Journal of Marketing, 60 (3), 15-32.
- Srinivasan, S.S., Anderson, R. ve Ponnavolu, K. (2002), “Customer loyalty in e-commerce: an exploration of its antecedents and consequences”, Journal of Retailing, 78 (1), 41-50.
- Sullivan, Y.W. ve Kim, D.J. (2018), “Assessing the effects of consumers’ product evaluations and trust on repurchase intention in e-commerce environments”, International Journal of Information Management, 39, 199-219.
- Tandon, U., Kiran, R. ve Sah, A.N. (2016), “Customer satisfaction using website functionality, perceived usability and perceived usefulness towards online shopping in India”, Information Development, 32 (5), 1657-1673.
- Thamizhvanan, A. ve Xavier, M. (2013), “Determinants of customers' online purchase intention: an empirical study in India”, Journal of Indian Business Research, 5 (1), 17-32.
- Toklu, İ.T. (2018), “Genç Tüketiciler İçin Kot Pantolon Niteliklerinin Önemi”, Journal of Turkish Studies, 13 (30), 459-476.
- Toklu, İ.T. (2019). Attitude of Young Consumers towards the Online Retailer, Research & Reviews in Social, Human and Administrative Sciences, Gece Kitaplığı, Ed.: Atilla Atik, Ch.7, p.108. ISBN : 978-605-7631-63-3
- Toklu, İ.T. ve Ustaahmetoğlu, E. (2016), “Tüketicilerin Organik Çaya Yönelik Tutumlarını ve Satın Alma Niyetlerini Etkileyen Faktörler: Bir Alan Arastırması”, Uluslararası Yönetim İktisat ve İşletme Dergisi, 12 (29), 41-61.
- Tübisad (2019), http://www.tubisad.org.tr/tr/images/pdf/tubisad_2019_e-ticaret_sunum_tr.pdf (Erişim 10.9.2019)
- Wang, R.Y. ve Strong, D.M. (1996), “Beyond accuracy: what data quality means to data consumers”, Journal of Management Information Systems. 12 (4), 5-33.
- Wen, C., Prybutok, V.R. ve Xu, C. (2011), “An integrated model for customer online repurchase intention”, Journal of Computer Information Systems, 52 (1), 14-23.
- Wolfinbarger, M. ve Gilly, M.C. (2003), “EtailQ: dimensionalizing, measuring and predicting etail quality”, Journal of Retailing, 79 (3), 193-198.
- Zeithaml, V.A., Berry, L.L. ve Parasuraman, A. (1996), “The behavioral consequences of service quality”, Journal of Marketing, 60 (2), 31-46.
- Zeng, L., Proctor, R.W ve Salvendy, G. (2012), “User-based assessment of websitecreativity: a review and appraisal”, Behaviour &Information Technology, 31 (4), 383-400.
- Zeng, L., Salvendy, G. ve, Zhang, M. (2009), “Factor structure of web site creativity”, Computers in Human Behavior, 25 (2), 568-577.