EVALUATION OF SOCIAL MEDIA USAGE AND FINANCIAL PERFORMANCE OF BORSA ISTANBUL TECHNOLOGY INDEX (XUTEK) COMPANIES
- Borsa İstanbul, Statisical analysis, Financial economics.
- Borsa İstanbul, İstatistiksel analiz, Finansal ekonomi.
How to Cite
Financial communication has a significant impact on the valuation of capital markets. Stakeholders must be informed in accordance with the spirit of time in achieving fair market value. Effective approaches that take advantage of the cost-benefit balance are redefined within the framework of technological developments. Social media, which is the subject of this study, has been discussed in this context. In this study, the performances of the technology sector enterprises in social media with their market values and selected financial indicators are evaluated. The findings of the study reveal that the enterprises mostly create an account on Facebook. YouTube is the least preferred social media tool. The average market value of the companies using social media is higher than those who do not. This situation shows that the enterprises with high market value are more active in social media. On the other hand, a similar relationship was not observed between social media usage and financial performance indicators.
- Antweiler , W. ve Frank, M. Z. (2004). Is All That Talk Just Noise? The Information Content of Internet Stock Message Boards. 59(3), 1259-1294.
- Bollen, J., Mao, H. ve Zeng, X. (2011). Twitter Mood Predicts the Stock Market. Journal of Computational Science, 2(1), 1-8.
- Bukovina, J. (2016). Social Media Big Data and Capital Markets-An Overview. Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Finance, 11, 18–26.
- Chen, H., De, P., Hu, Y. J. ve Hwang, B. H. (2013). Customers as Advisors: The Role of Social Media in Financial Markets. 3rd Annual Behavioural Finance Conference. Queen’s University.
- Dryer, R. L. (2010). Advising Your Clients (and You!) in the New World of Social Media: What Every Lawyer Should Know About Twitter, Facebook, Youtube, & Wikis. Utah Bar Journal, 23(3), 16-21.
- Evans, D. (2010). Social Media Marketing: The Next Generation of Business Engagement. Wiley Publishing .
- Kara, T. (2011). Sosyal Medya Üzerinde Yeni Nesil Pazarlama Ve Türkiye Bilgi ve İletişim Hizmetleri Endüstrisinde Sosyal Ağların Kullanımına Yönelik Bir Araştırma. Global Media Journal, 2(4), 102-117.
- Kumar, K. S. ve Devi., V. R. (2014). Social Media in Financial Services – A Theoretical Perspective. Procedia Economics and Finance , 11, 306-313.
- Lee, L. F., Hutton, A. P. ve Shu, S. (2015). The Role of Social Media in the Capital Market: Evidence from Consumer Product Recalls. Journal of Accounting Research, 53(2), 367–404.
- Miller, G. S. ve Skinner, D. J. (2015). The Evolving Disclosure Landscape: How Changes in Technology, the Media, and Capital Markets Are Affecting Disclosure. Journal of Accounting Research , 53(2), 221-239.
- Onat, F. (2010). Bir Halkla İlişkiler Uygulama Alanı Olarak Sosyal Medya Kullanımı: Sivil Toplum Örgütleri Üzerine Bir İnceleme. Gazi Üniversitesi İletişim Fakültesi İletişim Kuram ve Araştırma Dergisi(31), 103-122.
- Özgüner Kılıç, H. (2011). "Kurumsal Blog Sahibi Olmanın Şirketlerin Gelir ve Kârına Etkisi: Fortune 500 Üzerinde Bir Araştırma", Eskişehir Osmangazi İİBF Dergisi, 6 (1), 139-162.
- Rickett, L. K. (2016). Do Financial Blogs Serve an Infomediary Role in Capital Markets? American Journal of Business, 31(1), 17-40.
- Sprenger, T. O., Sandner, P. G., Tumasjan, A. ve Welpe, I. M. (2013). Tweets and Trades: the Information Content of Stock Microblogs. European Financial Management, 20(5), 926–957.
- Tumarkin, R. ve Whitelaw, R. F. (2001). News or Noise? Internet Postings and Stock Prices . Financial Analysts Journal, 57(3), 41-51.
- Vural, Z. B. ve Bat , M. (2010). Yeni Bir İletişim Ortamı Olarak Sosyal Medya: Ege Üniversitesi İletişim Fakültesine Yönelik Bir Araştırma. Journal of Yasar University, 20(5), 3348-3382.
- Wright, D. K. ve Hinson, M. D. (2009). Examining How Public Relations Practitioners Actually are Using Social Media. Public Relations Journal, 3(3), 1-33.
- Yang, S. Y., Kevin Mo, S. Y. ve Liu, A. (2015). Twitter Financial Community Sentiment and its Predictive Relationship to Stock Market Movement. Quantitative Finance, 15(10), 1637-1656.
- Zhang, X., Fuehres, H. ve Gloor, P. A. (2011). Predicting Stock Market Indicators Through Twitter “I hope it is not as bad as I fear". Social and Behavioral Sciences, 26, 55-62.